Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:42 pm 

JFAC just announced their new album and released the lead single - Sun of Nihility. What do you think of it?

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:06 pm 

Link to the song, by the way.

Not particularly memorable, and I still can't stand the singer's highs, but musically I think this is the most interesting thing they've ever done. The solo and bass playing are actually both pretty sweet.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:24 pm 

Here's the cover, too:

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:41 pm 

I haven't been interested in anything this band put out since their Doom EP back when I was first getting into heavy music, and I have since digressed away from this style of death metal, but this is pretty fucking sick. It reminds me of Wretched and they are the kings of modern melodic death metal, so I definitely think I might take a chance on it.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:47 pm 

That cover is awesome.

The song is... interesting. I don't dislike it, that much is certain. But I have been a decent fan of their earlier work (except Doom, that sucked) and I'm now having to compare a new good style to something in place I already like. We'll see I guess, I may end up liking it more than their more brutal, straight up sound. I think if this is the slow song, then I'd really be excited for the rest. If this song is the average song, I'd check it out, I'd like it, but it wouldn't wow me.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:56 pm 

As I've said before, their singer is utter shit. He sounds like Scooby Doo with laryngitis

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:03 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
As I've said before, their singer is utter shit. He sounds like Scooby Doo with laryngitis
+1
The cover is a classic example of too much crap in one image. Also the colour palette is an eyesore.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm 

That album title sounds very familiar...say earlier this year.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Lv ... ter/391690

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:11 pm 

I think it sounds pretty damn good, plus it's great they have Danny Walker on drums.

Last.fm

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 pm 

Not bad. It's much better than I was expecting, even though I'm not too heavily into modern tech-death. I'm not really hearing the supposed terribleness of the vocalist either. He's certainly nothing special, but neither is he offensive.

That is an absolutely awesome cover art though. So pretty! And it kind of works with the weird, almost mysterious vibe of the riffs.

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:39 pm 

Emo bands still release albums these days?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 pm 

Azerath wrote:

They aren't emo, but it doesn't stop them from sucking.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:46 pm 

ogmetal wrote:

One billion points for guessing which one is infinitely better...

That cover artwork is... fucking horrible.

My collection

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm 

Cover art is neat (and messy). It looks like something out of Everquest. But musically, I'm gonna have to go with the other Svn Eater. To be fair though, this sounds better than the couple other JFAC songs I've heard in the past.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm 

Azerath wrote:

:durr: troll? obviously.

Last.fm

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
Azerath wrote:

:durr: troll? obviously.

I don't think he's a troll, more just a METAL WARRIOR who's hoping to be lauded for making brave edgy comments.

The new song is okayish. I really want to have faith in these guys, since they released an utterly brilliant, unique, heavy, punishing death metal album in the form of Ruination, but I don't feel like anything they've done since then has been able to touch it. The riffing is still getting more technical and less barreling: they're focusing more on overt melodies, screechy chords, and spastic riff changes. Demonocracy was decent but had horridly awful songwriting and an overall forgettable vibe, and this is looking to be more of the same - I'd say they're naturally evolving exactly as one could expect them to, but in the process they're leaving behind the things that I thought made them best as a band.

Jonny's vocals are and have always been great, though. I can get why people don't like the shrieky, impish screams they've adopted for the past three albums, but personally I don't see what complaint people could have about the gruff, boozed-up-sounding growls. They always tied the band together really nicely for me. The "Scooby Doo with laryngitis" comment farther up the thread made me laugh fairly hard, though. :lol:

But yeah, at this point I think I'm ready to stop hoping that they'll ever make anything as perfectly groovy, abstract, acrobatic and massive as this album again:
Youtube: show

EDIT: And the cover art sucks. Not because there's "too much going on" or any stupid non-complaint like that, but the color scheme is horrendous. Way too much orange, blue and grey. Also, is that woman supposed to have a sideboob? Because it looks more like a chest tumor. Boobs don't fucking project out of the bottom of the rib cage, artist guy.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:46 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
EDIT: And the cover art sucks. Not because there's "too much going on" or any stupid non-complaint like that.
Too many things put into one singular image is a legitimate complaint. It's messy and it shows the artist hasn't got a clue about less being more or capturing what's important and the main focus.

Good album cover - http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-cont ... 3_1280.jpg
Good album cover - https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a95ef44c ... 3473c6.jpg

Bicro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm 

These guys peaked creatively with Genesis. Sure, they went straight DM after that, but just really boring DM. Like, super-duper-your-aunt-Bertie boring. Gave up all hope for anything remotely interesting after buying Gloom.

FasterDisaster
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:55 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
EDIT: And the cover art sucks. Not because there's "too much going on" or any stupid non-complaint like that.
Too many things put into one singular image is a legitimate complaint. It's messy and it shows the artist hasn't got a clue about less being more or capturing what's important and the main focus.

Good album cover - http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-cont ... 3_1280.jpg
Good album cover - https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a95ef44c ... 3473c6.jpg

I have to agree with you here on the cover. While drawn, painted, digitally painted, whatever by somebody talented, there's like eight different themes in the artwork. It's confusing to look at and it's very mishmash. "We need a city burning! And candles on a painted emblem on the ground! And somebody descending from outer space! And spikes in the corner!"

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 am 

I dunno, most of the time when people use that complaint, they seem to apply it to any work of art that tries to feature more than like two things going on at once. The only element that I think is really out-of-place in that cover is the fucking blue magic goop that's oozing out of the left corner. Everything else seems like a fairly coherent cover to me.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 am 

ogmetal wrote:

That's what I thought. What a joke this band is lol.

Cold Crashing Waves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:03 am 

The phrase 'Sun Eater' isn't particularly original and Lvcifyre isn't well known at all.

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:15 am 

To be fair, it very well could've been intentional. They had an in-joke of sorts with the band Abacinate for a while: Abacinate's first album was called "Ruination", and JFAC's was "Genesis". I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but JFAC named their second album "Ruination"; and Abacinate responded by titling their second full-length "Genesis" (which was of course established as a joke by then). It might still be a coincidence, but for the record we're talking about a band who're apparently used to the phenomenon of sharing album titles. :P

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:09 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
There's like eight different themes in the artwork. It's confusing to look at and it's very mishmash. "We need a city burning! And candles on a painted emblem on the ground! And somebody descending from outer space! And spikes in the corner!"
This guy gets it. I'm surprised there isn't anything in the top right hand corner obscuring the clouds, that would be a perfect spot to put a blue gorilla with a trident riding a giant eagle.

Cold Crashing Waves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:25 am 

lol, if this band had some generic gore bullshit name most of you would be keeping quiet. Some lame motherfuckers here.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:00 am 

I dunno. I think they're getting better and better with each album. And if i can bear with Maurizio Iacono's highs then i can bear with him, too. Despite that, Davy's low voice sounds even good and memorable to me. The singer gets too much negative critics.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 am 

Cold Crashing Waves wrote:
The phrase 'Sun Eater' isn't particularly original and Lvcifyre isn't well known at all.

Name another metal album named Sun Eater before this year. And they are more popular than you think.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:40 am 

Even the cover arts have a similar style...not far fetched at all to think they got the title from that Lucifyre band, really, if they're entrenched in the metal scene even knee-deep.

The new song was definitely not the ear-raping I expected after their abominable old shit, but eh, not very good either. In one ear, out the other.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:25 pm 

I'm kind of offended this is being released on my birthday.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 pm 

I agree with those that think the cover art is horrible. The colors are too vibrant and difficult on the eyes, and the logo does not suit the cover at all. Agreed with too much going on in the cover.

If it wasn't for the vocals I may like this. Nice use of bass lines, and time changes reminding me of Demilich. The solo is nice as well. Unfortunately the vocals are completely unlistenable to me. They need to fire him and get someone new as he is really holding them back. I'd prefer a slightly murkier production as well to help give it a darker vibe.

From what I remember their last album was ok, but just too boring for me to be interested in.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm 

It's not bad at all and I rather enjoy that new song of theirs, proggy / doomy death metal.

Cover art isn't that bad, sure it has a lot of colors but the first thing I noticed was mermaid sideboob.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:53 pm 

Yeah that looks like a Khoel work. He has some good pieces but the majority of them have a problem with too much shit going on with too many colors.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:11 pm 

Man, I haven't listened to this band since the Doom EP, which I really liked back in the day. This sounds surprisingly pretty good, should I genuinely listen to their other work?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:19 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man, I haven't listened to this band since the Doom EP, which I really liked back in the day. This sounds surprisingly pretty good, should I genuinely listen to their other work?

If you like modern death metal, and don't expect their other albums to sound anything like doom, then yes I would say check them out. They get all of hate here, but honestly they aren't that bad. Not the greatest band in the world, but still they got some good tunes.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:10 pm 

Cold Crashing Waves wrote:
lol, if this band had some generic gore bullshit name most of you would be keeping quiet. Some lame motherfuckers here.

One less, now.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:20 pm 

I just find it funny they decide to sound like swedish prog/melodic death metal now. There are some clear similarities with Opeth riff wise.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

If you like modern death metal, and don't expect their other albums to sound anything like doom, then yes I would say check them out. They get all of hate here, but honestly they aren't that bad. Not the greatest band in the world, but still they got some good tunes.

Basically Genesis is incredibly boring and bland cookie cutter death metal, and Ruination and Demonocracy are decent modern tech death, though still leagues below Hour of Penance or the first Fleshgod album. They get a bit more crap than they probably deserve since they popularized deathcore with a whopping six songs and then never played it again, but at the end of the day they're still really nothing special. You're not missing much but it might be worth a cursory listen.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:42 pm 

Oh hell yeah Lvcifyre's grand...oh wait.

The song linked to isn't that shabby. Actually, mildly interesting it is, and I didn't think I'd be saying this.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:21 pm 

What an awful cover art. My opinion is the same as BH's but the art is below even these guys. Horrid 'shoppin', low quality effects, dat color scheme, and more. Just a collage of shit. Keep it simple, stupid.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:46 am 

i like the idea of the cover art its just that the right side of it looks plain ugly.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next