Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:01 pm 

The debut, The Dark, and Blessing in Disguise are my favorite albums of them. Everything after that is solid. Mike Howe sounds good still.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 am 

First 5 are mandatory imo. Excellent band. Excellent drummer. Excellent singers. Most excellent debut (and favorite).

+1 for Reverend. My favorite song by them, Ritual.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 am 

Metal Church fuckin rule.

Well the Wayne and Howe era's do anyway. Also Reverend. Oh and Heretic.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:19 am 

Not sure why a 7 year old thread is revived but what the hell, I recently went through the entire Metal Church discography so here's their stuff ranked.

1. Metal Church - Simply put one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. 9.5/10

2. The Dark - I basically consider the first two Metal Church albums one amazing double album, as they share a lot musically. 9.5/10

3. Masterpeace - Despite a weak vocal performance from from David Wayne, a badass underrated thrash album, and their finest aside from the first two. 8.5/10

4. Hanging in the Balance - A good album with some killer tracks, but not the classic some claim it to be. 7.5/10

5. Blessing in Disguise - Very similar to the two albums that follow it, and distinctly different from the two that came before it. Good but not great. 7.5/10

6. The Human Factor - A bit of a stumble compared to the albums that came before it, but still solid enough to recommend. You really couldn't go wrong with Metal Church for a good while there. 7/10

7. A Light in the Dark - Nowhere near the band's heyday, but easily the best post-2000 Metal Church album. Ronnie Monroe continues to be one hell of a vocalist and this time he has some better material to back him up. 6.5/10

8. XI - An earnest effort but let's face it; this is a rather stale album. 5.5/10

9. The Weight of the World - Kicking down the door with an amazing vocal performance is newcomer Ronnie Monroe, who gives one of the finest vocal performances of any Metal Church album! Sadly it doesn't matter much as this is by far the tamest and most edgeless MC album to date. 5/10

10. This Present Wasteland - Certainly an album. Not a horribly offensive one, just extremely average and mediocre. 5/10

11. Damned If You Do - Plain, boring, and generic. This one's yucky. 4.5/10

12. Generation Nothing - A laughably bad attempt at rejuvenating themselves by constantly bitching about how old they are over riffs that wouldn't make the first draft of a decent album. Easily Metal Church's worst album. Avoid at all costs. 3.5/10

Stolen entirely from my Metal Church Ranked RYM list.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/BlackshirtBlast/metal-church-ranked/

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:32 am 

Since they're mentioned on the Master of Puppets thank list, how many people came to Metal Church via that?

Putrid_Abomination
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 pm 

I know this is a pretty old thread but Blessing In Disguise is and will always be a timeless classic in my opinion, the CD's been in my home longer than I have. I bought XI a few years ago, it's great too. I really should listen to the rest of Metal Church's discography sometime this weekend. That'll be a lot of fun.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:33 pm 

Putrid_Abomination wrote:
I know this is a pretty old thread but Blessing In Disguise is and will always be a timeless classic in my opinion, the CD's been in my home longer than I have. I bought XI a few years ago, it's great too. I really should listen to the rest of Metal Church's discography sometime this weekend. That'll be a lot of fun.

Yes it would be fun! Glad to see someone digging the new stuff too. Throw in Heretic "Breaking Point" '88 too if you're a fan of Mike Howe, and Reverend "World Won't Miss You" '90 and "Play God" '91 if you're a fan of David Wayne for an even more fun weekend. Cool albums.

Edit: fixed some shitty spelling

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm 

Metal Church fell into that gap where thrash took off but they didn't buy in, kinda like Savatage but without the (unexpected) success.
Still a whole lot of great fucking songs, but nothing they did made a big splash. They're ok.

megamikemetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:35 pm 

awesome band. They are so unique, No one sounds like them. Best albums are Metal Church, Blessing, The Dark, The Human Factor. Just picked up a copy of "Damned if you do" released in 2018 its pretty good too.

www.metaldevastationradio.com

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:23 pm 

We need 'Hanging in the balance' on vinyl.
Apart from that, I'm a moderate fan of theirs. The older stuff is great, especially the self-titled debut.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:41 pm 

Man, that mid-section in Into Dust gets me every fucking time.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Glad to see someone digging the new stuff too.

DiYD is awesome song-wise, quite a few hard-hitting ones. Stet Howland is a great replacement for Kirk Arrington. The production, though... that clipping on the guitars is nightmarish.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2