Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 pm 

I've just gotta say as of recently this has been such an important and outstanding band to me, I've been into metal since around about '98 and have known about Metal Church but because of their name, I passed it off as gimmicky stuff I'd never bother to check out.

It was only quite recent when I really gave them a proper listen that I soon found out how wrong I was about them and I regret not giving them the time of day earlier really.

So I'm really making this about anything to do with the band but from me, I'm really into their album The Dark.
I really feel they've never passed this album and properly won't, some people would agree with me and some would say the same thing about their self titled but The Dark with me is such a powerful album which doesn't hook me at first with the song Ton Of Bricks, I feel it's more of the perfect warm up song to how strong the album is going to be to the first time listener.

Start The Fire really grabs me, David's vocals really grab me and it's probably in the top 10 vocal ability in all of metal for me, he was really the powerful vocalist.

I really love the drumming on this album too, it's got such a sweet punk vibe to it, not too difficult or technical but it's quite original in what Kurt brings to the table.

Now it's your guys turn, let's make this a free for all discussion about one of the best overlooked thrash bands of the 80s!

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:29 pm 

I only know their "The Human Factor" and the "Hanging in the Balance" album. Besides the übershitty cover artwork for HITB,
this album is a masterpiece. So many damn great songs (esp. "End of the Age"!!!). Don't know why I never checked out their
other stuff. Maybe it's time now :)

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:10 pm 

I'm not too familiar with Metal Church's discography, but The Dark is indeed a great album. I fell in love with Method to Your Madness the first time I heard it. Such a dark and brooding song, contrasted by its typical 80s chorus.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:13 pm 

One of the classic bands. All their stuff up to Hanging in the Balance is at least a 90% I think. The high quality riffs, vocals and lyrics are just meat-and-potatoes for good metal...just the bare-bones basics, good music. The David Wayne stuff is real brash and cheesy and the Mike Howe years are more intellectual and socially conscious, so it's like two sides of a coin. "Waiting for a Savior" and "End of an Age" are probably my favorite songs by them.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:39 pm 

Let me help you out...after you het the s/t and The Dark, go pick up...

Reverend - The World Won't Miss You
Reverend - Play God

and then, finally...

Wayne - Metal Church

That's all you need!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:07 pm 

No way, the Mike Howe albums are my favorite...especially Blessing in Disguise which is just top-notch material with highlight after highlight, varied and powerful songwriting, great blistering riffs and vocals full of attitude.

I'm only familiar with Metal Church's first six albums though. Might check out their 2000's albums one day but I get the idea it's just not as good as the more famous albums of them.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:08 pm 

Tower Records in Japan released the first three albums remastered less than a year ago. Expensive limited editions, but they sound great!

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:56 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Let me help you out...after you het the s/t and The Dark, go pick up...

Reverend - The World Won't Miss You
Reverend - Play God

and then, finally...

Wayne - Metal Church

That's all you need!

I remember discovering the Wayne album by finding Mississippi Queen by Mountain on YouTube, discovering that Wayne did a cover. Awesome album.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Stormrider
The Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:41 pm 

Fantastic band 'til their first breakup in the mid 90's

Albums are best served in the following order:

1. Metal Church
(superb debut, definitely among the 10 best Debut albums ever)
2. Blessing In Disguise
(from my point of view practially as good as the self titled debut , you simply can't do better than songs like Badlands, Anthems to the Estranged or Rest in Pieces (April 15, 1912). I mean just listen to the drums that start that song and you basically think you're in the engine room of the titanic heading straigt to its collision with the iceberg.)
3. Hanging in the balance
(great album, in fact one of the favourites to alot of fans. I like it alot too, very diverse and at times "laid back" songwriting. But once again killer songs as "Gods Of Second Chance" or "Losers in the game")
4. The Human Factor
(overlooked and underrated. Great stuff on that as well like "Flee from reality" for example).
5. The Dark
(overrated imho. Hast its good moments but the album as a whole does not even scratch on the quality level of those other 4 albums. Definitely my least favorite of the first 5 MC albums)

Everything alse that has been released under the Metal Church banner is more or less forgettable.

Ah yeah, and before we forget to mention him......Kirk Arrington is definitely an overseen drum-god.
We don't need to mention Mike Howe's quality anyway.

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/stormrider
http://connect.collectorz.com/users/stormrider/music
https://www.facebook.com/EdenLiesObscured

Last edited by Stormrider on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:54 pm 

Yes, their drumming is amazing and their first two are certainly their best. The third is also good as is the Wayne solo album.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:30 pm 

colin040 wrote:
No way, the Mike Howe albums are my favorite...especially Blessing in Disguise which is just top-notch material with highlight after highlight, varied and powerful songwriting, great blistering riffs and vocals full of attitude.

Same. Blessing is one of my favourite albums period. Kirk Arrington rips all over it. Hugely underrated drummer. Hanging In The Balance comes in a close second.
I love the way they always managed to combine traditional metal, hard rock, ballads and thrash into their sound effortlessly.
It may have been the reason they never got the success they deserved but it made for top quality material.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

darkhness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:11 pm 

The first two albums are the best. The highlights of the albums are the vocals and the guitars. David Wayne was a great vocalist, his best performances being on The Dark. Another good release is the Live album from 1998 with Wayne on vocals. It captures a great sound and a stellar performance if you ask me. As for the Howe era, I couldn't care less for it honestly. I always thought it was overrated anyway.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:12 pm 

Metal Church is a pretty damn good band. Badlands is such an epic song.

I also love their cover of Highway Star.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

martinsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:55 pm 

Metal Church is David Wayne plain and simple and the S/T and The Dark are the best. The Live disc and even Masterpiece are amazing courtesy of The Reverend. As mentioned the Reverend releases are quintessential as is the third greatest release in the MC trilogy by Wayne entitled Metal Church.

The Howe years are good with a few standouts "Badlands" is a great song as is "Date With Poverty" and of course "The Powers That Be".

I enjoy how Howe went to MC and then Wayne recruited Howe's old Heretic band mates for Reverend.

And lastly you all should buy into the Ronnie Munroe MC, he is a good fit and brings back a lot of Wayne-esque vocalizing.

Best MC tune (s) imho are off the S/T including, but not limited too, Metal Church, My Favorite Nightmare and the epic Gods of Wrath!

RIP Reverend, you are surely missed.

The S/T in its entirety... sans Big Guns of course which was only available originally on the Ground Zero cassette and LP and later the Euro LP.
http://youtu.be/ZXix4bUAT58

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:02 am 

I don't get how you wouldn't like the Howe years if you liked the Wayne ones. They're not really that far apart in sound, just in scope - the Howe years just got more epic and a bit less pugilistic, but they never ditched the thrashy, speedy cuts they were known for entirely. Eh, different strokes I guess.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:58 am 

I know Deceased do a really good cover of the song Metal Church :nods:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Deceased/Zombie_Hymns/13405

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:36 am 

Fun fact: Metal Church were never a thrash band. I don't know they still get called out after all these years. The odd thrashy moment here and there, but that's it.

Yeah, I love the early albums. They were really impressive songwriters and that's what makes them standout (probably the same thing made them difficult to market in comparison to, say, an Anthrax or a Megadeth, hehe). I probably couldn't actually choose a favourite from the first five albums. The weakest is Blessing in Disguise for me, but still, that's got some of their absolute best tracks. Maybe the debut is my favourite; the smouldering production job, incredibly energetic drumming and just all round stellar performances.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:39 am 

the best 2nd rate band in history.
Always good but to me never really special.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 am 

Yeah the Howe albums are definitely where it's at for me. I enjoy the first two albums to varying extents, but they're just not on the same level as 'Blessing in Disguise' or 'Hanging in the Balance.' 'The Human Factor' is very good too but a little uneven at times. Hanging is one of the best metal albums ever, it just has everything; uber-catchy rockers like "Losers in the Game," moving ballads like "Waiting for a Savior," an incredible epic in "End of an Age"...nothing can really beat it in that respect. BiD is similar in its approach but just not quite as memorable...still awesome with shit like "Fake Healer" and "Badlands," though. Wish Howe would do metal again, one of my favorite fucking vocalists.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:26 pm 

'Burial at sea' starts with one of the best screams in history of metal...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:03 pm 

One thing I find kinda funny is how the band doesn't seem to be aware of the cult following that Hanging In The Balance has gotten over time. I still remember telling Kurdt Vanderhoof at a meet and greet that it was my favorite Metal Church album and he stopped and said, "That was you who bought that?" But yeah, it is pretty much between that and the debut as my favorite album of theirs but I do love me some Blessing In Disguise, The Dark, and The Weight of the World.

I'm also holding out for when they announce that Howe is coming back. ;)

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm 

I will have to echo those who have said that everything until Hanging in the Balance is varying shades of awesome. Classic MC is just the archetypal metal band, and while I personally favour the Howe stuff the most, the first two Wayne records are nothing short of classics.

It really is too bad just how deflated their post-HITB work sounds. There's no comparison.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:54 pm 

I need to revisit their debut. From what my experience I only liked their opener on that one, while it was stylistically similar to their second album.

The ''latest'' Metal Church album that I've heard is Masterpeace. David Wayne sounds pretty awkward on it which is a shame because the actual music is still pretty damn solid.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:28 pm 

Metal Church is the epitome of a band that kicked ass out of the gate only to get progressively worse.

It's not just because of a change of personnel. Between the self-titled and The Dark, there is already a slight drop in quality. Blessing in disguise is OK but the drop was continuing and people moved on.

I was really surprised by MA's rating for Hanging in the Balance. I always found that album to be terrible, as did every metalhead I know. It's cheesy, soft, boring and not worthy of Metal Church at all. To top it off, they were really trying to ride that wave from the late 80s/early 90s of boosting the playing time as a marketing tool, so the listening experience is pure torture.

I stopped following the band in 1999 following Masterpeace when the band basically confirmed they were to remain shit.

But the debut? One of the finest metal guitar riffs clinic! Just one good riff after another. Great songwriting, great performances by everybody and the album is well paced. It would be perfect if not for the Purple cover.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:43 pm 

^ Pretty much. Although I preferred Blessing In Disguise to The Dark, but mainly because the drum sound on The Dark is reeeeeally damn annoying. DOOF DOOF DOOF for 40 minutes. Fuck Mark Dodson.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:52 pm 

I never enjoyed HITB at all either even though I am a MC fanboy.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:08 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
One thing I find kinda funny is how the band doesn't seem to be aware of the cult following that Hanging In The Balance has gotten over time. I still remember telling Kurdt Vanderhoof at a meet and greet that it was my favorite Metal Church album and he stopped and said, "That was you who bought that?" But yeah, it is pretty much between that and the debut as my favorite album of theirs but I do love me some Blessing In Disguise, The Dark, and The Weight of the World.

I'm also holding out for when they announce that Howe is coming back. ;)

I really wish they'd release Hanging in the Balance on vinyl, maybe with a new cover (my suggestion: a metalhead hanging from a cliff, trying to claw his way back up, which would fit the album's desperate mood). It's a great, great album, and my second favorite behind The Human Factor. The Howe era is definitely they're best stuff--the material with Wayne is generally good but Wayne himself doesn't have the expressiveness to cash the checks the songs are writing, and the Munroe era is competent but pretty leaden and plodding, with one inexplicably awesome album in This Present Wasteland, which is so much better than the rest of the Munroe era that it's unbelievable. The riffs are back, Munroe sings with some actual fire, and even the production has the '80s sound again (speaking of albums that need vinyl reissues).

And I'd have to disagree with Metal Church becoming progressively worse. They started out as a good second-tier band with the debut, then got progressively better until they absolutely nailed everything with The Human Factor and Hanging in the Balance and, after their disbanding and reunion, didn't really have it anymore but on the other hand, didn't really get any worse from there.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:06 pm 

The first two Metal Church albums are among the most classic records of the 80's. The debut in particular is excellent, and a favourite album of mine. I would like to buy some of the CDs after this, but haven't come across them yet.

I have the newest album as well. It's decent, but I don't really revisit it often. There just isn't very much unique or interesting about it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:11 pm 

So much hostility to their masterpiece "Masterpeace". :(

I'd put Metal Church in the same category as Accept and Running Wild. It's not that they've gotten precipitously "worse" over time, but that they've delivered theoretically consistent albums with less and less verve and more modern metal trappings over time. Both could be resurrected as amazing bands at any time with a few tweaks (that just don't seem to ever happen).

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:20 pm 

Metal Church/Death Angel was my first "big" concert I ever went to back in 2004... wow.... over ten years ago now. I had no clue who either band was, I mainly went because of all the local openers that I loved, but Metal Church completely blew my mind! I was front and center with the rest of my High School band at the time and going nuts. I bought "The Dark" the following week and rocked it for about a week straight.

Fun Fact: The singer put the microphone down to me during "Ton of Bricks" expecting me to sing the chorus, and I had no idea what to do (I was only 15 or 16 at the time :lol: )so I just yelled and headbanged some more. Great fucking show.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm 

The first album is fantastic. It's dark, thrashy, and mean, yet melodic and sophisticated. I usually don't like the genres their sound encompass, but they do it surprisingly well. It's a real treat when you discover great albums outside your taste spectrum.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:56 am 

Empyreal wrote:
One of the classic bands. All their stuff up to Hanging in the Balance is at least a 90% I think. The high quality riffs, vocals and lyrics are just meat-and-potatoes for good metal...just the bare-bones basics, good music. The David Wayne stuff is real brash and cheesy and the Mike Howe years are more intellectual and socially conscious, so it's like two sides of a coin. "Waiting for a Savior" and "End of an Age" are probably my favorite songs by them.

Agreed 110 % !!

I especially love the stuff like "Beyond the Black" :)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 am 

Metal Church are awesome. You guys have about covered it, but Faith Healer is one of the best heavy metal songs ever. And Anthem to the Estranged is just so powerful. To me, Howe is where it's at. But Wayne still always oozed personality.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:54 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Metal Church is the epitome of a band that kicked ass out of the gate only to get progressively worse.

But the debut? One of the finest metal guitar riffs clinic! Just one good riff after another. Great songwriting, great performances by everybody and the album is well paced. It would be perfect if not for the Purple cover.

This. side A of s/t is perfection. Each song. Each part. The sequencing. The production and atmosphere. It feels like someone thought about it for a decade or more before doing it. As much as I like the entire album, going from side A to side B is a shock to the system. It's a 12/10 that drops to a 7/10 as you flip the record. I don't care much for "Highway Star" in the first place (big Deep Purple fan though), so it didn't help matters that they included it rather than another original.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm 

Awesome band, particularly on their 1980s albums. I think their self titled is their best album ever, but my favorite song might be "Anthem to the Estranged". Their more recent albums are quite good, too.

Their two most recent albums made my annual "Top 10" videos on my YouTube channel.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 pm 

How on earth did you dig up a 7 year old thread on Metal Church??

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:14 pm 

Opus wrote:
How on earth did you dig up a 7 year old thread on Metal Church??

I probably think about side A of s/t once a month, whether I listen to it or not. Almost anytime someone talks about heavy metal, and includes older time frames, I think of the s/t album. It's a significant album in my own music history. Analog Attack on youtube is covering every Iron Maiden album, and yesterday was Powerslave. Part of their review process is opening with what was happening in heavy metal that year. With some of the strange opinions on this site, I wondered how it was perceived here.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm 

Personal favorite is definitely Blessing followed very very closely by the S/T. The Dark takes a pretty big shit after the title track imo, and The Human Factor takes an even bigger one after “In Due Time”. Haven’t heard Hanging for a long time but thought it was boring from what I remember.

But those first two mentioned are untouchable Traditional Heavy Metal, riding high with any Maiden, Priest NWOBHM, or Sabbath album.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:20 pm 

HiTB has a few (very) good songs but dunno why people like it so much, so much of it is mediocre or just plain a bit bad. I think it's just because of the severe quality gap between expectations after seeing the cover and the actual decent album.

First two kick ass though, heavy metal with an authentic and unique mean streak.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 pm 

Classic, epic band. Oddly I didn't get to see them until 2006 with Ronny on vocals; strange that I didn't get the chance back in the day for whatever reason. But yeah, I was really into them. That '06 show was epic, note perfect, and almost all old 80's material, with a couple new ones sprinkled in here and there. Their first three albums are all really great, though I gotta say the debut probably has the highest ratio of epic, memorable songs.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next