Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 am 

I know this has been done before, hell I've posted in similar threads years ago, but I didn't see anything recent under the search function so apologies.

What are your Top Thrash Bands from the original era of Thrash, 1983-1992. Mine are...
1. Overkill
2. Megadeth
3. Testament
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Anthrax
7. Sepultura
8. Sodom
9. Coroner
10. Exodus
11. Kreator
12. Dark Angel
13. Metal Church
14. Death Angel
15. Destruction
16. Tankard
17. Heathen
18. Demolition Hammer
19. Exumer
20. Nuclear Assault
21. Voivod
22. Annihilator
23. Sacrifice
24. Artillery
25. Rigor Mortis

Honorable Mentions: Agent Steel, Exhorder, Flotsam and Jetsam, Forbidden, Hirax, Intruder, Iron Angel, Laaz Rockit, Onslaught, Sacred Reich, Vio-lence

There are lots of Top 10, Top 20 lists from a variety of different sources, some of which know nothing about Heavy Metal. I wanted to get a consensus from True Metalheads. So what say you...

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 am 

Sabbat (UK) is the only thrash metal band anyone ever really needs. Ironically, it has not been above mentioned, ha fucking ha.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:41 am 

List threads are general frowned upon here, so I'm not going to make a list (it would probably be 75% of the bands you mentioned in a shuffled order) but I will add Violent Force, who put out one fantastic record in 1987, and nothing since.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am 

Wholeheartedly seconding the Sabbat mention (without the hyperbole though!).

My two cents is Deathrow.

Deathrow and pretty much on grounds of a single album. Deception Ignored just may be my favorite thrash record ever. The blend of sheer aggression, unconventional and angular riffs, and expansive songwriting is just so out there. Amazing stuff really, and while their three albums prior to this monster were serviceable, they can hardly approach the sheer greatness of DI.

Last edited by Red_Death on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 am 

SADUS

Sevatar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am 

Morbid Saint (specifically their debut Spectrum of Death)

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am 

My top ten from that era would look like this:

1. Voivod
2. Anthrax
3. Metallica
4. Over Kill
5. Kreator
6. Megadeth
7. Slayer
8. Donpheebin
9. Death Angel
10. Annihilator

''Visitors'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

''Bullet'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/bullet-a-short-story-a173345708

''Perspectives'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/perspectives-a-short-story-c31001958

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:44 am 

Forced Entry.
Cyclone Temple.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm 

I find your lack of Pestilence disturbing.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:48 pm 

I don't think you can really call Metal Church a thrash band. Sure, they had thrashy moments and they were lumped in with that scene but they played heavy metal leaning towards speed metal.

vladoslayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm 

Slayer
Testament
Metallica
Overkill
Sacred Reich
Exodus
Hallows Eve
Megadeth
Exhorder
Pantera
Morbid Saint
Laaz Rockit
Dark Angel
Evildead
Annihilator
Demolition Hammer
Sodom
Kreator
Deathrow
Nuclear Assault
Exumer
Onslaught
Sepultura
Coroner
Razor

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm 

Quote:
List threads are general frowned upon here, so I'm not going to make a list (it would probably be 75% of the bands you mentioned in a shuffled order) but I will add Violent Force, who put out one fantastic record in 1987, and nothing since.

I've been a member of this forum since '04, and we used to do lists all the time. Must be a "new rule." I should have several thousands posts too, as I wasted a lot of time on this forum back in my 20's. LOL

I'm not familiar with Violent Force, so I'll have to check them out. Bands with only one classic album didn't make my list. (i.e. Morbid Saint - "Spectrum of Death")

Quote:
Sabbat (UK) is the only thrash metal band anyone ever really needs. Ironically, it has not been above mentioned, ha fucking ha.

I only have Sabbat's "Dreamweaver" album and have listened to their other two, and honestly I completely spaced them. Oops!

Quote:
My two cents is Deathrow.

Deathrow and pretty much on grounds of single albums. Deception Ignored just may be my favorite thrash record ever. The blend of sheer aggression, unconventional and angular riffs, and expansive songwriting is just so out there. Amazing stuff really, and while their three albums prior to this monster were serviceable, they can hardly approach the sheer greatness of DI.

Deathrow is a great band. "Riders of Doom" is my favorite, probably because it was the first album by them I listened to.

Quote:
SADUS

Sadus is a good band, but I only have their debut album so they didn't make my list.

Quote:
Morbid Saint (specifically their debut Spectrum of Death)

Morbid Saint's "Spectrum of Death" is an awesome album, but they were left out because they only had one album until 2015.

Quote:
Forced Entry.
Cyclone Temple.

Forced Entry from my home state of WA. Good band, but didn't make my list.
Cyclone Temple is band I'm not familiar with. I'll have to check them out.

Quote:
I find your lack of Pestilence disturbing.

The first Pestilence album is a great Thrash album, but I consider them to be a Death Metal band as their sound changed.

Quote:
I don't think you can really call Metal Church a thrash band. Sure, they had thrashy moments and they were lumped in with that scene but they played heavy metal leaning towards speed metal.

I think the first 2 Metal Church albums are great Thrash albums, and they still have Thrash elements in their later albums, so they made my list. Metal Church s/t debut is one of the best debut albums ever and easily one of the best Thrash albums ever. My opinion of course.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:52 pm 

So this is off the top of my head, and in alphabetical order since I don't really want to rank them:

Anacrusis (Their last album wasn't really thrash, but their entire discography is nearly flawless either way.)

Annihilator (Only the first two albums.)

Aspid (Their lone album, Extravasation, is probably one of the top 3 or 4 technical thrash albums of all time)

Coroner (One of my top 5 bands ever, the first four albums are close to perfect)

Dark Angel (I was really into their last album at first, as my username would imply, but Darkness Descends is my clear-cut favorite from them)

Deathrow (As mentioned earlier in the thread, Deception Ignored is absolutely incredible, and it's really the only reason they made my list)

Demolition Hammer (They just pile riffs on top of riffs, and the vocals are a perfect fit for the chaos going on musically)

Depressive Age (Another band that's here just because of one album. First Depression is a masterpiece of melodic, somewhat bizarre thrash)

Destruction (Their riffs in their early period seemed to have a lot more going on musically than a lot of their contemporaries in Germany)

Forbidden (Twisted Into Form is one of the best albums to come out of the Bay Area scene, and I don't think a ton of bands sounded like them)

Heathen (They were my favorite band for a long time, and Victims of Deception is still one of my top 5 thrash albums)

Hellwitch (This might cross over into death metal. There's a hyperactive quality to Syzygial Miscreancy that just makes it sound totally unhinged)

Kreator (Everything from Endless Pain through Coma of Souls is incredible. Not a lot of bands have written five great albums)

Metallica (I just don't think their importance can be overstated, whatever anyone thinks of their output from 1991 onward)

Morbid Saint (Up there with Demolition Hammer as far as super vicious thrash goes. Assassin is an absolutely stellar track)

Obliveon (From This Day Forward is my favorite tech thrash album ever. It doesn't matter that they were never nearly that good again)

Realm (Two nearly perfect albums. I prefer Endless War slightly, but Suiciety has some really interesting stuff going on musically)

Revenant (In the pantheon of great death/thrash acts. A one album wonder if there ever was one)

Sabbat (Dreamweaver is dense as all hell, which is always something I appreciate in an album. The fact that it's so accessible is impressive)

Sadus (They kind of occupy the same space as Hellwitch does for me. Manic intensity and hyperactivity.)

Sepultura (Everything up through Arise is awesome, with Schizophrenia being my favorite at the moment.)

Sodom (Both the black metal era and the thrash era are awesome. Agent Orange is my favorite, but the primitive brutality of the first EP is close)

Toxik (I kind of group them together with Realm in my mind. Two great albums, but I prefer the second one in this case. Incredible guitar solos)

Vio-Lence (Eternal Nightmare is a never-ending stream of riffs. Sean Killian's vocals are obviously polarizing, but I love them.)

Voivod (Nobody really sounds like Voivod. They're technical without being obnoxious, which I think is really important for a progressive band)

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:20 pm 

Would Possessed count? They were one of those bands that blurred the lines between black metal, death metal, and thrash, before the first two were really clearly defined genres (or were even thought of as a distinct genre.) They would be on my list, certainly.

Some bands I never got into, though. Toxik, Annihilator, and Sabbat being among them. Its not that I think these bands suck, rather, I thought there were plenty of other thrash bands that were better. Toxik and Annihilator were always sort of bland for me.

Sadus absolutely belongs though. Tankard are/were a fun band but I don't know about "top 25."

Amerigo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:26 pm 

No love for Holy Terror? In my opinion, probably the best mix of technical thrash and punk(ish) aesthetic. Plus legitimately quality lyrics that rival even the likes of ol' Martin Walkyier.

Also kinda surprised to see a top thrash list with Exumer but no Assassin? Upcoming Terror is one of the few thrash albums that when I put it on even people who normally don't much like metal in any form really get into it.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Amerigo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 pm 

TimeDoesNotHeal wrote:
Aspid (Their lone album, Extravasation, is probably one of the top 3 or 4 technical thrash albums of all time)

On that note, these lists always lack Russian thrash. I think Zhelezny Potok or Shah definitely deserve a place on any top thrash list.

Quote:
Depressive Age (Another band that's here just because of one album. First Depression is a masterpiece of melodic, somewhat bizarre thrash)

Nice choice. They are the speed metal-ish vein of German thrash I really wished would have took off instead of Kreator/Sodom. I have similar feelings regarding Grinder. Their massively underrated 1st EP really manages to seamlessly integrate weird funk influences that Death Angel's Act III had in the same year--Reeling on the Edge is probably the best thrash song ever written. Also a shout out to Vendetta (GER) for making one of the finest example of instrumental thrash that never gets boring (Fade to Insanity off of Brain Damage).

Space_alligator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:27 pm 

I'd just like to put forward the Aussies, Mortal Sin, Hobbs angel of Death, Nothing Sacred and Addictive.

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm 

Quote:
Anacrusis (Their last album wasn't really thrash, but their entire discography is nearly flawless either way.)
Hellwitch (This might cross over into death metal. There's a hyperactive quality to Syzygial Miscreancy that just makes it sound totally unhinged)
Obliveon (From This Day Forward is my favorite tech thrash album ever. It doesn't matter that they were never nearly that good again)
Realm (Two nearly perfect albums. I prefer Endless War slightly, but Suiciety has some really interesting stuff going on musically)
Revenant (In the pantheon of great death/thrash acts. A one album wonder if there ever was one)
Toxik (I kind of group them together with Realm in my mind. Two great albums, but I prefer the second one in this case. Incredible guitar solos)
Vio-Lence (Eternal Nightmare is a never-ending stream of riffs. Sean Killian's vocals are obviously polarizing, but I love them.)

Anacrusis and Toxik are cool bands, but not in my Top 25. Vio-lence is a great band, but just missed being in my Top 25.
I'm not familiar with Aspid, Depressive Age, Obliveon, Realm, Revenant, so I'll have to check them out.

Quote:
Would Possessed count? They were one of those bands that blurred the lines between black metal, death metal, and thrash, before the first two were really clearly defined genres (or were even thought of as a distinct genre.) They would be on my list, certainly.

Sadus absolutely belongs though. Tankard are/were a fun band but I don't know about "top 25."

Possessed is a great band, but I put them into the Death Metal category just like Pestilence even though "Seven Churches" has a lot of Thrash elements.
As for Tankard, yes they are a fun band, but they have a lot of great songs and a large catalog of solid to great albums which gets them a Top 25 spot for me.

Quote:
No love for Holy Terror? In my opinion, probably the best mix of technical thrash and punk(ish) aesthetic. Plus legitimately quality lyrics that rival even the likes of ol' Martin Walkyier.

Also kinda surprised to see a top thrash list with Exumer but no Assassin? Upcoming Terror is one of the few thrash albums that when I put it on even people who normally don't much like metal in any form really get into it.

No Holy Terror. A good band, but don't make the cut for my Top 25.
As for Exumer, I think they're a great band. "Possessed By Fire" is one of my favorite Thrash albums. As for Assassin, I never really got into them, so I'll have to give them another listen.

NECRONAUT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:18 am 

- Slayer
- Dark Angel
- Incubus
- Sadus
- Kreator
- Sodom
- Morbid Saint
- Destruction
- Revenant
- Abacinate (Dutch demo band)
- Invocator (Excursion Demise)
- Merciless (the awakening)
- Holy Terror
- Sarcofago (I.N.R.I.!!!!)
- Soothsayer (first, kinda crossover but oke)
- Nuclear Assault (Survive)
- Brain Implosion (Dutch old thrash metal band)
- Sepultura (Schizofrenia and Beneath)
- Old Nihilist
- Corpse (pre Grave)

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 am 

in no particular order

Slayer
Anthrax
Testament
Exodus
Overkill
Megadeth
Metallica
Sepultura
Kreator
Tankard
Nuclear Assault
Voivod
Annihilator

a special era for me as this is when i first got into metal, mid to late 80s. when i heard slayers 'reign in blood' album for the first time i shat myself, the speed! how can they play this fast!? hehe
good times.

Rottur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:44 pm 

Sodom, destruction, blessed death, whiplash, Hobbs angel of death, slaughter lord, exodus , slayer, kreator, nuclear assault, razor, slaughter, voivod, demolition hammer, poison, infernal majestty, dark Angel, tankard... Metallica, mega death, sepultura,

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:18 am 

Blessed Death were a weird one for me. They were noisy and raw, which was good, but yet, the production never really did them many favors and they came across as a bit sloppy. I never got into them. Poison (the German one obviously!) were sort of more first wave black/death metal; good, but kind of a question of where do you categorize them. They were a bit too noisy for mainstream thrash. Otherwise, some good choices there. (mega death...you meant Megadeth I assume, right?)

I really liked the first Hades album (new Jersey one) "Resisting Success." If their follow up had been as strong as that album then they would easily make my top 25 list...heck I'd be inclined to add them in anyway. That album deserved more success than it got.

NECRONAUT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:44 am 

Rottur wrote:
Sodom, destruction, blessed death, whiplash, Hobbs angel of death, slaughter lord, exodus , slayer, kreator, nuclear assault, razor, slaughter, voivod, demolition hammer, poison, infernal majestty, dark Angel, tankard... Metallica, mega death, sepultura,

Wouldn't categorize Poison as a thrash band. Great band btw! Blessed Death is also great!

I Forgot like you mentioned: Slaughter, Demolition Hammer and Infernal Majesty!!!

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am 

it always surprises me how rarely holy moses gets mentioned in threads like this - an absolutely pivotal band in thrash

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:30 pm 

my own personal tastes based on which cassettes and LPs I was playing the most in those days. not including any internet age discoveries which some would not have been easily available then.

I'll also add that the Morbid Saint album at the time of its release in 1990 was not looked upon as highly as it is today. It was a band that looked death metal but still had all the thrash trimmings and were seen by many as antiquated. Ripping Corpse were also not well received by everyone for a similar reason, a death metal band with thrash trimmings and a singer that has hardcore influences. Saw the Ripping Corpse CD in many used bins. I love both albums btw. Demolition Hammer were very well received but I tried to stick to stuff that came out before 1990 for this list.

1. Carnivore
2. Slayer
3. Megadeth
4. Overkill
5. Sepultura
6. Kreator
7. Metallica
8. Death Angel
9. Sadus
10. Sodom
11. The Beast
12. Destruction
13. Dark Angel
14. Destruction
15. Whiplash
16. Artillery
17. Exodus
18. Metal Church
19. Voivod
20. Anthrax
21. Bloodfeast
22. Forbidden
23. Testament
24. Nasty Savage
25. Sacred Reich

Vanthos_Anasthasia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm 

My absolute favorite thrash was the stuff that lended itself toward the creation and development of blackmetal. That being said, I enjoy the pure thrash and speed of these bands as well, not just the over the top evil stuff. I love all Sepultura before Chaos A.D., all Celtic Frost, and still follow Kreator and Necrodeath. So.....

Sabbat (UK)
Sacrifice
Kreator
Destruction
Sodom
Sadus
Slayer
Celtic Frost
Bulldozer
Sarcofago
Necrodeath
Sepultura
Blood Feast
Coroner
Slaughter
Panic
Deathwish
Exumer
Hexenhaus
KAT
Morbid Saint
Necronomicon (Germany)
Onslaught
Schizo
Violent Force

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:54 pm 

Dang, I forgot all about Carnivore. Their second album was pure thrash all the way, and I loved it then and still do now.
Vader- this is an interesting one because their very early stuff- "Morbid Reich" era, was speed/thrash metal (and just kicks ass), but they moved more towards death metal later on. And I always did like Blood Feast- their first couple releases were really awesome.

Amerigo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:34 pm 

Gotta echo Infernal Majesty, but in a way that isn't exactly on topic. I know their first album gets all the praise but Unholier than Thou is a masterpiece that came out at a time (late 90s) when it seemed like thrash was dead and groove metal infected even the greats. I mean even the most consistent thrashers like Overkill were releasing crap back then. And UtT comes out and is both innovative and catchy like the old school stuff was. The style might not be for everyone but damn if it isn't memorable in a time when thrash albums were as forgetable as bedroom black metal.

Also the massively underrated Torture deserves at least mention. Storm Alert is a massive brutal thrash record.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:59 pm 

1. Slayer
2. Kreator
3. Holy Terror
4. Sodom
5. Slayer
6. VoiVod
7. VoiVod
8. DxRxIx
9. Slayer
10. Possessed
11. Sadus

*removed the album titles for the sake of the thread title

others:
Hirax
Phantasm
Wehrmacht
ABC Diabolo
Epidemic
Hypnosia
Messiah
Scepter

**thrash is one of those confusing genres to me, because I start to think of borderline crossover bands and other hybrids or genres

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51 pm 

well, Wehrmacht and DRI certainly apply, depending on how far towards the punk spectrum you are willing to go. Some of my favorite bands (MDC, Septic Death, Jerry's Kids) are hyper thrashing and fast, but are associated purely with the punk scene and not the metal one- so I didn't include them. DRI and Wehrmacht, you could go either way with though. Same with Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front.

Which Epidemic are you referring to? Do you mean the Menlo Park, California one? They were an awesome band, if so- they came in pretty late in the thrash game and only had one obscure full length. They kinda got lost in the shuffle.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:59 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
well, Wehrmacht and DRI certainly apply, depending on how far towards the punk spectrum you are willing to go. Some of my favorite bands (MDC, Septic Death, Jerry's Kids) are hyper thrashing and fast, but are associated purely with the punk scene and not the metal one- so I didn't include them. DRI and Wehrmacht, you could go either way with though. Same with Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front.

Which Epidemic are you referring to? Do you mean the Menlo Park, California one? They were an awesome band, if so- they came in pretty late in the thrash game and only had one obscure full length. They kinda got lost in the shuffle.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/E ... meron/8768

NECRONAUT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:12 am 

Personally i think bands like Wehrmacht, Spazztic Blurr, and D.R.I. is Crossover (An eighties genre that mixed aggressive Thrash and fast H.C.)
Soothsayer, Decapitation, Lawnmower Death, Bloodcum, M.O.D., S.O.D. are good examples of such bands.

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:23 am 

Great selection of bands. Plenty of underrated bands mentioned (Razor, Holy Terror, Evildead, Carnivore, Blood Feast, Mortal Sin, Sarcofago, Slaughter, Whiplash, Nasty Savage etc.). I recently discovered Necronomicon, Protector, and Mekong Delta from Germany, and Chakal, Attomica, and MX from Brazil, which I've been digging. With several other bands listed here that I've yet to discover; I've got some more exploring to do.

Here are some other bands that didn't make my list that I really enjoy.

Corrosion of Conformity (Eye for an Eye, Animosity, Technocracy, Blind, are all great)
Agent Steel
Forbidden
Intruder
Atrophy
Flotsam and Jetsam
Sacred Reich
Vicious Rumors
Hirax
Laaz Rockit
Onslaught

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:02 am 

joppek wrote:
it always surprises me how rarely holy moses gets mentioned in threads like this - an absolutely pivotal band in thrash

Criminally underrated, yes.

Was just blasting "Current of Death" yesterday.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:45 pm 

Hirax would have made my list in a heartbeat...if only the drumming had been better. The band was always hamstrung by a mediocre drummer who couldn't seem to keep up with the really fast parts. I still love them though. Agent Steel is certainly up there as well, though I never quite got into the "Agent Steel Spin-off" bands that much, though as mentioned, Holy Terror were pretty good; probably the best of the three.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 pm 

1- Voivod
2- Coroner
3- Mekong Delta
4- ...

I guess Megadeth would be my personal fourth mainly because of my appreciation towards their first few works but I honestly don't really care after naming those three bands...

EDIT: Holy shit, I forgot to mention two of my personal favorites :durr: :
Gargoyle and Doom, both from Japan.
No thrash metal band from that era except from the first two comes close to the level of awesomeness of those two bands, I just wish there were more bands like those.

So my personal list updated:

1- Voivod
2- Coroner
3- Gargoyle
4- Doom
5- Mekong Delta
6- ... don't care

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:57 am 

I can definitely name another 25 thrash bands from that era that I love, and then some...but to narrow it down to my personal favorite 25 this would be the list:

01. Slayer (for RIB alone)
02. Megadeth (for RIP alone)
03. Metallica (first four records)
04. Anthrax (STD-POT)
05. Exodus (Bonded alone)
06. Overkill (first five records)
07. Testament (first four)
08. Possessed (all essential)
09. Voivod (IF they count, first three albums are legendary)
10. Celtic Frost (again IF they count, Morbid Tales/Mega Therion)
11. Kreator (everything through Coma of Souls)
12. Destruction (everything though Cracked Brain)
13. Sodom (everything through Agent Orange)
14. Sepultura (Morbid Visions-Arise)
15. Coroner (first three records)
16. Holy Terror (two CLASSIC albums)
17. Death Angel (first three records)
18. Flotsam And Jetsam (first three, but I also dig Quatro)
19. Dark Angel (all essential)
20. Artillery (first two albums rage, and By Inheritance is a masterpiece)
21. Nuclear Assault (everything though Handle With Care)
22. Forbidden (first two albums)
23. Vio-Lence (first two albums)
24. Sadus (everything through Vision Of Misery)
25. Demolition Hammer (first two albums)

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:56 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Would Possessed count?

Why wouldn't they count since they are a thrash band?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:30 pm 

^It would depend on whether you consider them thrash metal or death metal. Back then the lines between the genres weren't that clearly defined. There were even some who considered them black metal back then (though obviously they wouldn't be labeled as such today.)

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 am 

Possessed is hard because "Seven Churches" is more Thrash than Death Metal, but overall I always lump them in the Death Metal genre. That's just me though.

Reply to topic