Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am 

https://www.facebook.com/RealmOfObscura

Taken from the recent Facebook post

"OBSCURA announce new studio album "A Valediction"
for November 19th
After recently finishing the recordings in Gothenburg for our sixth studio album to date and the follow-up to 2018's "Diluvium", we're now announcing the title of our upcoming album to be "A Valediction". Thematically dealing with final farewells, the album will be a very personal record, as Steffen Kummerer reveals:
“A Valediction” unfolds OBSCURA in its purest form and showcases the band at new heights and offers immediacy with a rather personal touch. We cannot wait to perform this album on stage and celebrate each and every song live with our loyal fans around the globe. This record goes to eleven, so watch out for the first single dropping in July and worldwide tour dates to be announced soon."
The album, graced by a cover artwork painted by internationally renowned artist Eliran Kantor, will consist of 11 new studio tracks and the tracklist reads as follows:
01) Forsaken
02) Solaris
03) A Valediction
04) When Stars Collide (feat. Björn 'Speed' Strid)
05) In Unity
06) Devoured Usurper
07) The Beyond
08) Orbital Elements II
09) The Neuromancer
10) In Adversity
11) Heritage
Mixed and mastered by award-winning producer Fredrik Nordström, "A Valediction" is due to be released on November 19th, and we're already preparing further plans for this autumn which are soon to be announced. The first single of the OBSCURA's new chef d'oeuvre will see the light of day in July, so stay tuned for further information on the song, the album pre-order and an upcoming European tour!"

Personally, I think this is going to be amazing. I posted about a week ago in a thread that I was just getting into these guys, specifically the last two albums, and I'm stoked to see that a new album is coming out again this year. I can't wait to hear it, it should be amazing.

MeavyHetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:14 pm 

I'm curious as to how this is going to sound. Christian Muenzner said that this would be the most intense and over the top album that Obscura has ever done.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:01 pm 

I'm also fascinated to hear how this comes out. Their style with Nordstrom's production really has my interest piqued. The Speed guest track should also be intriging. I'm a bit nervous about Diepold though, I just don't know if he's at Grossman or Lanser's level.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:34 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm also fascinated to hear how this comes out. Their style with Nordstrom's production really has my interest piqued. The Speed guest track should also be intriging. I'm a bit nervous about Diepold though, I just don't know if he's at Grossman or Lanser's level.

I don't think he's quite at Hannes' level, but let's face it, most drummers aren't and most of his really ridiculous shit was done with other bands. At the same time, his style is much closer to Hannes than it is to Sebastian (who himself couldn't hit the higher tempos Hannes hit), so I'm guessing this will be much closer to his era of the band than the past two. He's fully capable of playing their parts and his live drum cams definitely demonstrate that he's not some YouTube warrior who sounds like shit without editing.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:13 pm 

Looking at their description and the guest appearance I'm thinking they're going to start incorporating more clean vocals? By the way, I find most of their covers really good & enjoyable to listen to, I hope they start releasing more of them in the near future.

Spoiler: show

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:59 pm 

The funny thing is that Obsidious basically is Lanser-era Obscura with mostly clean vocals (which actually do sound a bit like a mix of Strid's and Christian Alvestam's).

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:06 am 

Random complaint: don't you hate when bands announce that their finished-looking album is gonna be released five+ months from now? I've really come to appreciate surprise announcements and quick turnarounds/releases, whether it be albums, games, etc.

Anyway, that bit of bitching aside, I'm looking forward to this. Obscura is always a pleasant listen. I doubt that they'll top Akroasis (which easily remains my favorite in their discography), but something that channels its vibe would definitely be appreciated.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm 

Surprised there isn't more talk about this. The new/reformed lineup is extremely formidable, so I expect this to be a balls out album.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:49 pm 

Just because it is related to the topic of Obscura, here is a single released by Lanser, Klausenitzer, and Trujillo (former Obscura) in their new group Obsidious:
Spoiler: show

Musically it isn't really different from Obscura bar the clean vocals. I wonder if it is possible that they left because they wanted to incorporate this into Obscura, and Kummerer wasn't for it.

As for the new Obscura record, I am certainly looking forward to it. I've liked everything that they have released so far, and hopefully this will be no exception.

77hjrttfred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:23 pm 

Quote:
Musically it isn't really different from Obscura bar the clean vocals.

Yeah, that song could have easily appeared on an Obscura album, except for the clean vocals.

What reasons were given for the recent changes in Obscura? Was anything said publicly?

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
Quote:
Musically it isn't really different from Obscura bar the clean vocals.

Yeah, that song could have easily appeared on an Obscura album, except for the clean vocals.

What reasons were given for the recent changes in Obscura? Was anything said publicly?

The press release announcing the departure of the former members cited musical differences. From my recollection, there was some talk that Steffen wanted to go in a different direction than the other members, who wanted to continue the sound of the most recent albums. Whether there was anything more going on behind the scenes I can't really say. Ultimately Obscura has always been Steffen's band, more or less, so the split was always going to be inevitable if he didn't see eye to eye with the other members.

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:26 am 

Something is clearly off with the position of the arms on the cover..

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:51 am 

Jebator wrote:

Definitely.

They are also too long.

77hjrttfred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:12 pm 

Quote:

Maybe it is not supposed be a human, maybe a "humanoid" or some other human/creature hybrid. That might explain the weird arms. Haha!

Reply to topic