Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:57 am 

Today, Gojira has released a new single entitled "Another World". They say the track isn't from an upcoming album.

"It is with great excitement that we're presenting our new track 'Another World'. Ferdinand Magellan once said: 'It is with an iron will that we'll embark on the most daring of all endeavors, to meet the shadowy future without fear and conquer the unknown.' Is humanity doomed, or will we survive nature's wrath? Take a glimpse into our shadowy future by watching our take on 1968's Planet Of The Apes… Another World!"

I've never REALLY gotten into these guys. I have a couple of the albums on CD, and I've caught them live once. I enjoy it while I'm listening to it, but it's not something that sticks with me, or something I was to revisit. However, they are one of those bands for me that I absolutely love one song by. "The Gift Of Guilt" gets constant plays from me.

I kinda dig the new song, but I don't have enough of an opinion on their entire catalog to truly comment.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 am 

Their name gets thrown around all the time but I think this is the first song I've ever heard from them. I always thought they were a tech/djent band, but this song would fit perfectly on the radio next to a Cage the Elephant song lol.

snarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 am 

I like Gojira, with the exception of the 1st album, i listen to their discog now and then, but this song isn't really for me, feels a lot weaker than what I'm used from them.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 am 

This track is a dud. Like most songs from their last album when they started simplifying their sound. I guess the band likes this new direction and that's fine, but a lot of talent - especially Mario's, is being squandered.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:43 am 

This one's pretty dull. They used to be great, From Mars to Sirius was cool. What the hell happened?

SirMono
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:24 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
This one's pretty dull. They used to be great, From Mars to Sirius was cool. What the hell happened?

Yep. Their old stuff is a big reason I got into metal, but it feels like they're giving up on this track. The main riff is alright, but I was bored by the time the main chorus hit. Hopefully this isn't indicative of what their next album will sound like, but I don't have much hope.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm 

"The Way of All Flesh" was the last album of theirs I liked, everything since is trash. "Metal" for those that don't really like the genre. It's a shame too, because there's no lack of musicianship and talent. Doesn't feel like they have nearly the amount of momentum behind them they did a decade ago, and rightfully so.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:25 pm 

Cool music video. Crazy what you can invent when doing a little digging on the internet ;)

Jorkzar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:29 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
Their name gets thrown around all the time but I think this is the first song I've ever heard from them. I always thought they were a tech/djent band, but this song would fit perfectly on the radio next to a Cage the Elephant song lol.

Newer Gojira went the way of Mastodon, and sucks now. Check out The Way of All Flesh and everything that came before it. Their first album i hold especially dear.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 pm 

The song was alright, however I was definitely not a fan of their last one, and this new song looks to continue that simplified, stripped direction. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the next album, but it seems Gojira are not a band I would be into anymore.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:15 pm 

I have one of their albums, got it to see what the fuss was all about. Didn't care for it. Found it boring, repetitive, and the monotonous vocals don't help. They;ve stuck with that style. Don't think they'll change and become suddenly exciting.

That said, I saw them live once and they were devastating. You know how occasionally you see a band not expecting anything and then they blow you away. These guys did it. But that hasn't made me like their music any more. They definitely have to be experienced live. Not sure why that power and energy doesn't come across at all in their albums.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 am 

I’ve been a fan of these guys since The Way of All Flesh but I find this song pretty underwhelming. I hope the new album will be considerably better than this. I second Wrldeatr’s comments on how good Gojira are live. I’ve seen them three times and they have always been excellent.

Reply to topic