Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:56 pm 

German extreme metallers Chapel of Disease will release their fourth full length, Echoes of Light, on February 9 through Van Records. From the press release:

Quote:
"Echoes Of Light" is the newest album by Chapel of Disease and is the outcome of an even deeper dive into the possibilities as a band when set free from any musical or genre-based boundaries. Recorded from October 2022 up to January 2023 at Q7 Studios with Michael Zech (The Ruins Of Beverast, Secrets Of The Moon) by the three founding members (Laurent T., Cedric T. and David D.), the outcome is a record that plays with many different moods and becomes a whole through uniting contrasts and forming them into one individual landscape of sound. Consisting of six songs, this album wants to take you on a journey to chase light, only to ultimately destroy it…

Tracklisting:
1. Echoes of Light
2. A Death Though No Loss
3. Shallow Nights
4. Selenophile
5. Gold / Dust
6. An Ode to the Conqueror

A Death Through No Loss has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

The last album was basically Dire Straits meets death metal, and while there's still a bit of that in the new song it's way closer to being traditional heavy metal with harsh vocals. It's going to be interesting to hear the rest of the songs to find out if that's actually the direction they're going in this time. Considering everyone except the vocalist quit the band after this album was recorded, whatever they do in the future is probably going to be at least a bit different.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:36 pm 

Wow I thought these guys were done. I loved their last album so this is a great surprise. New track sounds like more of that. Looking forward to the full release.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:18 pm 

I’ll check this out. The band in general is hit and missed for me, but when they hit, they hit hard.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:35 pm 

What the hell? So they secretly recorded an album, break up as soon as it's completed, then 6 months later they announce it and new shows and act like nothing ever changed?

I mean, I am absolutely thrilled, but this is extremely bizarre. Did they kick out a member who had control of their social media or something?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
What the hell? So they secretly recorded an album, break up as soon as it's completed, then 6 months later they announce it and new shows and act like nothing ever changed?

I mean, I am absolutely thrilled, but this is extremely bizarre. Did they kick out a member who had control of their social media or something?

Technically the band never broke up, the other members and Laurent just agreed to part ways with the plan that he would continue the band with new members eventually. This isn't new information, they announced it back in February in a Facebook post. This is from that February 23 post:

Quote:
please read.
It is with very heavy hearts that we hereby have to tell you, that after 15 years together we have decided to part ways. While the band will still exist and continue in a new lineup, this surely is an end of a big chapter for all of us.
While we would prefer to keep the reasons for this decision between only the three of us, we would like to thank so many of you for following us up until this point. We can really look back on this time with so many positive memories and while we’ve made the decision to split up this constellation, each one of us has made clear that since all we’ve reached together, the band should be kept alive and that our friendships between one another weigh more than anything else. Which ultimately went hand in hand with the decision we’ve made. While we therefore are grateful for so many opportunities we were given by a variety of different people and for so many kind words or gestures many of you have given us, we are even more grateful for the time, sweat and tears all of us have put into this band and for what we as a group of individuals have created out of this. This is something no one can take from us and something that we will always carry along our way. So I hereby would like to thank David and Ced for everything that was and will be. I can only say for myself, that I treasure all of it in the most careful manner.
I would have wanted us to play our remaining gigs in march together. This however was not possible. We apologize to anyone that was looking forward to seeing us here and we especially apologize to the organizers of these events.
News around the band and new music will follow when the time is right.
Thank you
Laurent on behalf of Chapel Of Disease

The only surprise is that they recorded a new album before it happened, which they announced two days ago.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:43 pm 

Ah interesting, thank you. I was completely misremembering that. I swear their MA status was Broken Up, not On Hold/Disputed.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:56 pm 

Another one of those bands where I think they've musically outgrown the death metal vocals and I personally would prefer something a little cleaner.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:10 pm 

I agree with that, but I also get why some bands will never get rid of growls. A huge chunk of Bolzer's fanbase abandoned them when they changed their vocals for their full-length.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:58 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I agree with that, but I also get why some bands will never get rid of growls. A huge chunk of Bolzer's fanbase abandoned them when they changed their vocals for their full-length.

Although i can understand the sentiment, as i get older the more i criticize growls for the sake of being growly; if there's no emotion behind it. I'd say most modern ordinary/osdm bands have such one-note vocals that it actually bothers me, even if i don't understand the lyrics i would appreciate more color in the "singing"

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:02 am 

in a best of 2010's decade poll, their last one would probably show up in my top 10, so i'm really looking forward to this

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:52 pm 

Super hyped for this, fucking loved the last record - but this is bizarre timing unless they’re about to announce a new lineup.

Also, just taking my first listen of the single as i scroll through the page - is it me or is this “Void of Words” part 2?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:25 pm 

Great, it's been a long time since I thought about these guys. Next year is already shaping up to be pretty cool!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:42 pm 

The second single is out, I think this is first time I can recall them actually using clean singing this prominently.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:15 am 

Just relistened to 'The mysterious ways...' after a long time and had forgotten what a great album it is. Will be interested to give this one a spin when it comes out.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm 

Here's the third single (and title track):

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:39 pm 

Death 'n' roll if there ever was one...not complaining

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:40 am 

So from what i’ve heard so far, it seems like they are going full blown death n’ roll this time around.

I enjoyed the title track and A Death Through No Loss, though I'm not sure how I feel about Shallow Nights.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:29 am 

very much a continuation of the last album, and on first impressions almost as great as well, though needs more listens - really digging those the smiths style vocals on gold/dust. i'll be surprised if this doesn't end up in my top 10 of the year

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:46 pm 

Surprised by the abundance of clean vocals. I thought I wouldn't like this judging by the first single and I didn't bother to hear the rest, but damn this is great. Need to give this a few uninterrupted listens.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:22 pm 

have listened twice already and i’m really enjoying this. no real complaints so far

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:01 pm 

This is really good so far. They can seriously play some great leads. This one feels a little more somber and atmospheric than the last one. "Shallow Nights" is really striking.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 pm 

seems less explicitly dire straits with this one.

Also don't understand why people call this death'n roll, this has little in common with wolverine blues or six feet under

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:52 pm 

It’s not hitting me as hard as the last one but it’s growing on me. Not sure if I’d place it in death ‘n’ roll territory though I’m noticing a greater emphasis on goth vibes.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
It’s not hitting me as hard as the last one but it’s growing on me. Not sure if I’d place it in death ‘n’ roll territory though I’m noticing a greater emphasis on goth vibes.

Seconded on the goth vibes. It sounds a lot like Tribulation to me now, which is a good thing because I love Tribulation.

hellzora666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:26 pm 

I'm new to the band and this album is phenomenal! I'm addicted.

Reply to topic