Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:44 pm 

Rage will release a new album early in 2020.

Youtube: show

01. True
02. Let Them Rest in Peace
03. Chasing the Twilight Zone
04. Tomorrow
05. Wings of Rage
06. Shadow over Deadland (The Twilight Transition)
07. A Nameless Grave
08. Don't Let Me Down
09. Shine a Light
10. HTTS 2.0
11. Blame It on the Truth
12. For Those Who Wish to Die

"There have been releases which focused primarily on hard thrash sounds, but also recordings featuring anthemnic power metal as well as albums with a — in the true sense of the word — symphonic orientation. "Wings Of Rage", the latest offering by the three-piece, consists of all this and much more. Peavy and his colleagues Marcos Rodriguez (guitar) and Vassilios Maniatopoulos (drums) have succeeded in summarizing the diversity and experience of almost 37 years of band history in twelve topical songs, starting a new chapter at the same time.

Thanks to the diversity on "Wings Of Rage", Wagner, Rodriguez and Maniatopoulos can be one hundred percent certain that every fan will find something to their very own, personal taste. Friends of earthy thrash tracks with a typical RAGE attitude will get their money's worth mostly on numbers such as the opener "True" with its sinister verse, the lead single "Let Them Rest In Peace", the title track "Wings Of Rage" and the intense "Don't Let Me Down". Aficionados of atmospherically dense power metal anthems will love "Tomorrow" and "Chasing The Twilight Zone", while elements of classic orchestrations, as featured on RAGE's 1998 album classic "XIII", mark the progressive "A Nameless Grave" and the ballad "Shine A Light".
"

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:50 am 

Hmm, disappointed. Rage are one of my old favourite bands, from Perfect Man up to and including Ghosts are all clear 10s. Wasn't impressed with their last one, and this just sounds contrived.
"the latest offering by the three-piece, consists of all this and much more." Yeah, but does that include coherency? Judging by this song, it's different pieces put together haphazardly. And is that supposed to be a breakdown?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:35 am 

That wasn't a great song - production's a bit too clean and sterile and the vocals are produced like they're lifted from another song - but I kinda liked it, not gonna lie. They've been lame for a while now but this didn't sound bad to me. Kind of reminded me of the ones I used to like from the early '00s from them.

Bloodstone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:29 am 

Definitely not as good as the album released under the Refuge name from last year. What are people's take on that one around here anyway? If you don't know, it's basically an old Rage line up making an album that sounds like old Rage as a side project. As a casual Rage fan, I thought it was really cool and up there with the mid 90's stuff.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:54 am 

A second single:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 am 

Bloodstone wrote:
Definitely not as good as the album released under the Refuge name from last year. What are people's take on that one around here anyway? If you don't know, it's basically an old Rage line up making an album that sounds like old Rage as a side project. As a casual Rage fan, I thought it was really cool and up there with the mid 90's stuff.

Not quite as strong as the other records put out by that lineup, but still really solid and fun. "The Man in the Ivory Tower" and "From the Ashes" definitely are up there with Perfect Man and The Missing Link IMO.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:20 pm 

A third song:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:29 pm 

I dig that one a lot. Some classic Rage shit right there.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:42 pm 

That last one is probably the best of the bunch.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:53 pm 

Rage always finds a way to win me back over. Haven't liked them for years but these new songs sound great. Will pick it up.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 pm 

What the fuck is this shit? I don't recall what's the last album from Rage I listened to (I think it was missing link) but I surely don't remember them sounding this fucking pansy. They start with a neat badass riff and then turn into kawaii metal...? First song's OK I guess.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:25 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
What the fuck is this shit? I don't recall what's the last album from Rage I listened to (I think it was missing link) but I surely don't remember them sounding this fucking pansy. They start with a neat badass riff and then turn into kawaii metal...? First song's OK I guess.

They've played melodic power metal since around the late 90s. I don't see what's "kawaii" about it... it's classic metal with their kind of bright, melodic choruses, that's all.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:14 pm 

I don't know, those choruses sound extremely "poppy" and corny to me. Yeah, perhaps kawaii was a little exaggerate but they still sound like they belong to a pop song (not a particularly good one tho). And It's not like I dislike melodic power metal or mellow songs at all, it's just that in this case, they sound out of of place to me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:10 am 

blackmantram wrote:
I don't know, those choruses sound extremely "poppy" and corny to me. Yeah, perhaps kawaii was a little exaggerate but they still sound like they belong to a pop song (not a particularly good one tho). And It's not like I dislike melodic power metal or mellow songs at all, it's just that in this case, they sound out of of place to me.

They have their own style and it can be egregious, but I always liked the over the top melodies. To me what you described would be like if they turned into Babymetal or something. But yeah they did change a lot after the early 90s.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:12 pm 

Always think Rage's albums are too long. Never loved them anywhere near as much as Running Wild because of that. Hope to see them in UK next year though

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:28 am 

Released today and available for full official listening here:

https://rageofficial.bandcamp.com/album/wings-of-rage

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:09 am 

Pretty good so far. Some of these songs are pretty formulaic and samey but they keep the energy up and I dig the overall style. Probably not gonna be in the Top 10 at the end of the year, but it's fun.

Reply to topic