Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:07 pm 

Although other than Under The Sign of Hell nothing has interested me by them just curious supposedly they are done recording.

Bludrayne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 pm 

ehh. Don't think they've even been relevant since Under the Sign of Hell.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm 

"No release date, but looking at March or April" said Bøddel in an interview from January 2014. Being in May, and not a word has been posted on their official site, I think we can all expect it to be released later than we hope. They have toured this year though, so the band is not dead by any means. I was surprised by Bøddel's American accent, as I did not know that he was American. :)

http://metalnewz.com/2014/01/21/frank-w ... interview/

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:33 pm 

Boddel = Frank Watkins, former long-term bassist of Obituary

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:31 pm 

"Mixing of the new Gorgoroth album "Instinctus Bestialis" has been completed, and the album will be mastered at Cutting Room in July 2014."

- from their official website

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:10 am 

raumr wrote:
"No release date, but looking at March or April" said Bøddel in an interview from January 2014. Being in May, and not a word has been posted on their official site, I think we can all expect it to be released later than we hope. They have toured this year though, so the band is not dead by any means. I was surprised by Bøddel's American accent, as I did not know that he was American. :)

http://metalnewz.com/2014/01/21/frank-w ... interview/

The fact that they have Hoest (Taake) doing vocals for all of their shows is interesting to me, especially given the background of Pest's firing (an apparent unwillingness to tour overseas) and the subsequent hiring of the "Serbian satanist," who as far as I know has yet to perform live with them at all.

In any case, I'm interested in hearing the new record. Not necessarily excited, but interested.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 am 

I've been wondering about Hoest still performing with Gorgoroth. It's ironic that Pest is out of the equation due to touring and that his replacement has yet to play a show with the band.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm 

Bludrayne wrote:

That's it everyone, close down the thread. They haven't been relevant in two decades.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:44 pm 

If I recall well, the guy who's singing on the album is signed to the Infernus' label and he was chosen to record the vocals before Hoest was doing the live ones. I would love to see Hoest as permanent member of Gorgoroth or at least let the guy record some stuff. His voice is great.

Bludrayne wrote:

They got more successful with their lesser albums and the lesser vocalist (Gaahl). Quantos was spectacular, only hindered by production.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:40 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
If I recall well, the guy who's singing on the album is signed to the Infernus' label and he was chosen to record the vocals before Hoest was doing the live ones. I would love to see Hoest as permanent member of Gorgoroth or at least let the guy record some stuff. His voice is great.

Bludrayne wrote:

They got more successful with their lesser albums and the lesser vocalist (Gaahl). Quantos was spectacular, only hindered by production.

I agree with all of this. If Hoest's first priority wasn't Taake I'd be willing to bet he'd be in Gorgoroth full-time and I'd love to see him do that. Plus I think it'd be great to see what he'd bring to the table in terms of songwriting contribution.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm 

I'd rather just make jokes about Gaahl. Why did Gaahl take so long to answer Sam Dunn's question about the infleunces of Gorgoroth? Let me give you an idea of what was going on in Gaahl's mind "god dammitt think of something clever shit think of something you're the Fucking Norwegian Boogeyman a ha I got it! ...........Satan"

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:10 am 

^ Well, aren't you a clever one! Just remember to somehow incorporate his homosexuality next time, to cover all the bases.

Kveldulfr wrote:
I would love to see Hoest as permanent member of Gorgoroth or at least let the guy record some stuff. His voice is great.

This. His stage presence is also intense, and had I not been a big fan of Taake, I would have hoped that he joined Gorgoroth full time.

On the broader topic commented on this thread: I think Gorgoroth are very much relevant. Quantos was a solid album, made somewhat lifeless by the production, but the songwriting was strong enough to hold its own. Under the Sign of Hell 2011 was a mess; taking the intense, raw and barbaric material from 1997 and giving it the same treatment as Quantos. Hopefully, the new albums will continue where Quantos left off.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am 

raumr wrote:
Just remember to somehow incorporate his homosexuality next time, to cover all the bases.

That's called a hate crime in the U.S. even if it's just a joke then again what isn't a hate crime nowadays. Alright let's get back to the topic of Hoest fronting Gorgoroth sure it would be nice but I don't think Atterigner is an incompent vocalist, having Frost on drums instead of Tomas Asklund is more important to me.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:13 pm 

I'm more interested in what God Seed is up to. Their debut was fucking killer, considering everyone was expecting a Gorgoroth clone.

Mortaeus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:23 pm 

the_heathen wrote:
raumr wrote:
Just remember to somehow incorporate his homosexuality next time, to cover all the bases.

That's called a hate crime in the U.S. even if it's just a joke then again what isn't a hate crime nowadays. Alright let's get back to the topic of Hoest fronting Gorgoroth sure it would be nice but I don't think Atterigner is an incompent vocalist, having Frost on drums instead of Tomas Asklund is more important to me.

Frost being back in Gorgoroth would be a huge selling point for me. Asklund's drumming is boring. Frost is so much more intense. Ad Majoram was a good album and Frost tore it up. But yes, Quantos was a decent album and I agree that the production was really flat and lifeless, which is why I never listen to that album. Sad truth.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:56 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I'm more interested in what God Seed is up to. Their debut was fucking killer, considering everyone was expecting a Gorgoroth clone.

Totally agreed. Have they said anything about the follow up?

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:56 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Totally agreed. Have they said anything about the follow up?

Guess I should have just checked their Facebook page. They're currently writing the next album, planning on recording it this fall. Awesome!

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 pm 

This fall? I thought they recorded everything. I've read that the album was planned for mid summer...
I guess that's why I don't hear anything new

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:00 pm 

Yeah, those were the plans over a year ago...

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:31 am 

Mortaest, I think that was about the God Seed album. As far as I know, the Gorgoroth album is a mystery at this point, though apparently it has been recorded at least.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:04 am 

I am curious with the new album, the last one was good but slightly too slow and the production was very weak. If they improve both aspects they could release a truly solid album.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:46 pm 

The uncomfortable silence is over! From their Facebook page:

Spoiler: show

Quote:
Gorgoroth has signed to Soulseller Records, who will release the band's new album "Instinctus Bestialis" on 8. June 2015 on CD/vinyl and digital (available through Amazon, Spotify, iTunes etc.)

Instinctus Bestialis track listing:
1. Radix Malorum
2. Dionysian Rite
3. Ad Omnipotens Aeterne Diabolus
4. Come Night
5. Burn in His Light
6. Rage
7. Kala Brahman
8. Awakening

6 years since last full-length release with original material!

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:51 pm 

I love the cover art, but we'll see if good ol' Infernus still has got it...

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:27 am 

He's got it. Of course he has. He still had it after all those years when he made Quantos. Where could it have gone in this time?

:oh shit:

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:41 pm 

yes, but people age, creativity withers away, priorities in life change, we mature and our perspective transforms, yadayada...

hope it hasn't happened to Infernus. I quite liked Quantos...

hopefully, it's gonna be a great year. a brand new Arcturus in May (and my birthday too), and new Gogoroth in June :hyper:

swebarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:10 pm 

Lol this band is a big pile of shit now, so overrated and crap i bet the new cd will be just as bad as their last i lost interest in them long ago dont see what they could offer now anything decent tbh...

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:22 pm 

What made them want to re-record their best album anyway? Was it a case of them not being able to reissue the original like with Flotsam & Jetsam's recent re-recording of No Place For Disgrace, or did they think it needed modern production or whatever like Exodus?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:43 am 

raumr wrote:
Hopefully, the new albums will continue where Quantos left off.

Yep, I love that album (and still fail to see any problems with the production), although it could have done with a couple more fast tracks...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:13 pm 

putrenista wrote:
What made them want to re-record their best album anyway? Was it a case of them not being able to reissue the original like with Flotsam & Jetsam's recent re-recording of No Place For Disgrace, or did they think it needed modern production or whatever like Exodus?

The latter. Infernus wasn't satisfied with the original production. He also said it was something done for him, if fans didn't like it they can always hear the original.

Myrggh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:14 am 

The fact that Infernus was dissatisfied with the production on UtSoH to the extent that he decided a rerecording was necessary makes me convinced that I'm going to be disappointed again. The 2011 version was so weak it was absolutely unlistenable, but the new album will sound the same, I'm sure. Such a shame really, cause he can still come up with the riffs.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:33 pm 

UtSoH and Quantos are two entirely different albums to begin with. Quantos has almost no blast beats and is a lot slower. It needed to be airier and colder to get the tone it needed. I can understand not liking the clicky drums but lets be honest, if the sound were rougher then the intonation required to deliver the neoclassical influence in some of the riffing would be gone.

What makes the UtSoH re-recording so stupid is the fact that it's a completely different style of black metal that doesn't need to sound modern. One of the first two albums that was slower and more neoclassical would have fit with a modern tone, but I feel like Infernus chose UtSoH just so that all four of these albums had a consistent tone. Whatever. New material is here and I'm excited.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:49 pm 

Neoclassical is an odd way to describe it, but you're not wrong: the priduction style is far more out of place on UtSoH due to its relwntlessness and intensity. Even when Quantos resembles UtSoH the most, it's more contemplative and monolithic.

The problem with Quantos is the drums and how they sound, really. The vocals are overly smooth too, but its in line with the songwriting anyway.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 pm 

The problem with Quantos is not even the whole drum kit, it's just how fucking loud are the bassdrums, how thin and annoying are the overhead cymbals (crashes-chinas) and how dry is the mix of them. The vocals and guitars sound pretty good IMO and the songwriting is there. Infernus needs Askund out of the mixing board and get a real producer.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:26 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

This God Seed's debut was amazing.

Last.fm

Pregnantus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:04 pm 

One of the few black metal releases I've looked forward to in a long time. Can't wait!

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:34 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
putrenista wrote:

The latter. Infernus wasn't satisfied with the original production. He also said it was something done for him, if fans didn't like it they can always hear the original.

I actually went ahead and listened to the re-recording a few days ago. I'd say it's not a bad album, but mainly because those songs are already so good anyway. It just feels like a really tight cover band honestly. The original was perfect, both in performance and production. I'm trying to better understand why some artists can't just let things be where there were in that moment in time.

Reply to topic