* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:42 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
I totally forgot about Empyrean Sky when talking earlier! Criminally unknown band. I'm still not sure about their second album, but the first is an awesome piece of progressive melodic death metal. The drum machine sounds a bit shit, but the guitar tone is the crunchiest thing in the world sometimes and the riffs are awesome. I also really dig the kinda operatic cleans that pop up occasionally.

Spoiler: show

Oh boy, those drums. They sound so utterly weak and powerless. I don't like being a hater, but I simply could not listen to that... Totally ruins the music and makes it unlistenable.

edit: guitar tone was as crunchy as you described. THere's that I suppose....;)

They aren't that bad! I dunno, maybe I just have a high tolerance for shitty sounding drums, but those riffs more than make up for it. They did a re-recording of "Love Poison" with a real drummer and bassist but I think the original is better. They have a new one out with a full band too, so maybe that'll float your boat? The track "For the Sun" is pretty cool.

https://empyreansky.bandcamp.com/album/ ... he-tangent

zelda37
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:19 am 

Here's a track from the band Adversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUb81SURm8c
(Album : Ruination)

In my opinion I think Adversary is a nice Melodic Death Metal band ^^

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 pm 

Melodic death metal is a genre that's easy to have mixed feelings about. At it's best (Subterranean, the second and third Cenotaph albums, North from Here, the totality of early '90s Hellenic black metal), it's some of the best music metal has to offer. At it's worst (post-Whoracle... no actually post-Subterranean In Flames, most of the Finnish stuff sorry, pretty much anything in the subgenre from the U.S.), it's just bad power metal with a sore throat.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:17 pm 

A great mix of melodic, greek black metal and death metal. Adelain is one of the most melancholic, sorrowful albums that I've heard. It's better than anything Insomnium has ever made.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:11 am 

Not sure where the Insomnium comparison comes in, that was definitely very different than what Insomnium does. If you are talking about the sorrowful and somber feel of the music, I think Insomnium does a much better job. They really have the melodic and melancholy feel down, whereas Foredoomed Elegy was kind of all over the place. It began with a relatively upbeat orchestral sound, and quickly switched to a death/black metal sound, and then ends on what sounds like a slowed down knockoff Pantera riff.

I'll listen to more, but it really doesn't seem to capture emotion the way Insomnium does.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:20 pm 

I think that Insomnium tries too hard to pull a tear from your eyes, unlike TEF and Omnium Gatherum, which sounds more natural at it.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:47 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
I think that Insomnium tries too hard to pull a tear from your eyes, unlike TEF and Omnium Gatherum, which sounds more natural at it.

I remembered The Elysian Fields, but it was 12 Ablaze I was all into in the past. What got to me the most was the fact that they used real strings - and there's a good chance I'll drool all over even mediocre metal with violins and cellos and stuff.

To that end, let's mention Dark Lunacy, who did the same thing but incorporated it into a much more straightforward and aggressive melodeath framework. Forget Me Not is a very good album.

And the most recent entry into strings-for-thrills melodic death is Bloodstained Ground. I only listened their latest, A Poem of Misery, and the album is quite enjoyable. Points earned for not sacrificing aggression.

Deflorate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:02 am 

NotCoreyTaylor wrote:
Alright, here's a toss up for a direct discussion:

Melodic Death Metal is a broad term that deviates from standard death metal so much that most death metal fans don't consider it a genre of death metal. It's usually catagorised as a form of power metal or has a thrashy/metalcorish sound. I think Carcass's "Heartwork" title track and many songs from Slaughter of the Soul is what Aggressive-type melodeath should be; a punishing verse riff, a chorus that complements the verses, and a short, sweet solo somewhere in the song all together in less than 5 minutes (There are some outliers though).

What kind of songs do you think most melodeath, aggresive or power metal-ish, should be?

I've always preferred more aggressive bands like The Black Dahlia Murder and At the Gates. To me, "true" melodeath is best represented by the wave of Swedish bands from the '90s, especially the more underrated progenitors like Eucharist, Gates of Ishtar, and Unanimated.

Last edited by Deflorate on Sat May 23, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:56 am 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Melodic death metal is a genre that's easy to have mixed feelings about. At it's best (Subterranean, the second and third Cenotaph albums, North from Here, the totality of early '90s Hellenic black metal), it's some of the best music metal has to offer. At it's worst (post-Whoracle... no actually post-Subterranean In Flames, most of the Finnish stuff sorry, pretty much anything in the subgenre from the U.S.), it's just bad power metal with a sore throat.

Whatever man, The Jester Race is better than anything that Dark Tranquillity or At the Gates ever did.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:55 am 

putrenista wrote:
TheTrueSeker wrote:

Whatever man, The Jester Race is better than anything that Dark Tranquillity or At the Gates ever did.

and Swamplord absolutely kills The Jester Race

but i dont think the point of this thred is to have a pissing match

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:15 am 

NecropsY wrote:
putrenista wrote:

and Swamplord absolutely kills The Jester Race

but i dont think the point of this thred is to have a pissing match

What are you on about? I was just stating my opinion in response to him saying anything past Subterranean was worthless.

High Gain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:42 am 

underrated imo

Some of the members went on to form this band:

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:07 pm 

The Jester Race is a decent heavy metal album with some death growls inserted over it, apart from a few moments ("Dead Eternity," "Dead God in Me," the guest solo on "December Flower") which hearken back to the complexity of something like Subterranean. Calling it worthless might seem like an exaggeration, but if you judge it by the standards of death metal, it doesn't bring much to the table. It preserves its place in my collection by virtue of a)nostalgia and b)not being shitty video game nerd metal like Kalmah.

That In Thy Dreams song reminded me of the similarly dramatically titled Ablaze My Sorrow, who put out this classic in 1996:

Gothenburg-style stuff can be cool if you do it right, like the Ablaze My Sorrow debut, those two Sacrilege GBG albums, or some of the Gates of Ishtar stuff (keyword: some). It's still structured in a death metal kind of way, rather than pop style which infected the scene around the time of the appearance of this kind of trash:

Ironically, the more aesthetically aggressive melodeath tends to reveal itself as more poppy. Thanks Slaughter of the Soul!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:24 pm 

I love the first two Gardenian albums :(

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:13 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Ironically, the more aesthetically aggressive melodeath tends to reveal itself as more poppy.

I dig that shit though. Nothing wrong with it at surface level unless it is executed poorly.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3