Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:31 am 

When you resort to personal insults, you've lost. Maybe you'll finally enter the 21st century with the rest of us, where free streaming and "try before you buy" is the norm, not the exception.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:58 am 

What the hell is going on here? I'm also against illegal streaming and downloads that destroy entire careers and I always support bands by purchasing their records physically but Zelkiiro simply wanted to be friendly and inform us that a record had leaked. Whether one checks this out or not is a matter of personal preferences. Arguing about this in such a drastic way as it's been the case over the past few days is however completely exaggerated. Let's all calm down and discuss great Japanese metal music instead.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:13 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I was under the impression most sensible people at least operated by the adage "try before you buy." Apparently not.

You mean like the MV and album trailer that was released well beforehand? Stop making lame excuses.

kluseba wrote:
Zelkiiro simply wanted to be friendly and inform us that a record had leaked.

That's the problem. This isn't some obscure record from some no-name demo band. This album has an MV and an album trailer which is plenty of material to try the album out with. Bumping this crappy thread with just a "lol guys you can go pirate this" post is a crappy contribution.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:44 pm 

Howdy. Couple of reminders:

- This is a "community" thread, and it's not going anywhere, but remember to be respectful.

- If you're going to promote off-site content or communities that may interest other members here, that's fine. But if you going about it in a hostile way, or if you are abusing/spamming in any way, you will be promptly removed.

- Advocating piracy isn't cool, even more so in this community because of the nature of the Japanese music industry. Let's try to avoid that.

- That said, Zelkiro had no malicious intent, he made a rather innocuous comment and everyone just went immediately hostile. Call him out on his ignorance of the industry, sure, but there's no need to freak out because someone casually mentions an album leaked somewhere, guys.

In other words: let's dial it back a bit, okay? When kluseba is the reasonable one here, y'all done fucked up. ;)

Cheers.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:32 pm 

Mistereyedee wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
Hey, boys and girls, looks like Mardelas' third album just leaked. Thought you oughtta know.

Thought you oughta know that if you don't support your bands by buying one of their CDs or going to their shows, then you're just a parasitic, thieving scum.

Maybe a person have very low income? For example, I understand this well, since I live in a country with a very foolish financial system.

Recent - Trivium - What The Dead Men Say
Previous - Black Rain - Gekka Bijin
Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 pm 

@Hyungnim
There's a debate there about the balance between equal access to art and the artist getting paid for their effort. I tend to lean towards wanting the artist having complete control over their work, to include expecting people to pay upfront to experience their work in its entirety. Anyone's inability to pay, while vexing, doesn't or shouldn't override the artist's right to be paid. The best solution to both problems would probably be a free to use, ad-supported streaming platform that Japanese artists were willing to use, and also paid as much as normal sales. That's kind of a pipe-dream though.

@Zelkiiro
Regarding the try before you buy thing, I think Dudemanguy is spot on about the music videos and album trailers. Everyone here /does/ try before they buy via the /official/ samples. The thing though is that any instance of official "try before you buy" only offers partial access to the product. Things like thirty-second song samples on iTunes, a demo of a video game, or the aforementioned album trailers. In none of those instances do you get the whole product, you get a taste of what you can expect from the whole product. If you like the taste you can pay for the whole thing or don't if you didn't like the taste. No one walks away unhappy.

The way you're suggesting try before you buy be handled would be like ordering a dinner, eating the whole thing, and then deciding to pay for it or not. Such a system is just too easy for consumers to abuse by consuming a product and then pretending they didn't like it to get out of paying for the product. Not to mention the plate of food is now consumed when it could have been given to someone that would have paid for it. The only loser there is the producer. I realize a digital download of an album isn't a consumable resource the way a plate of food is, but the artist is still in danger of not being compensated for their work while the consumer walks off with their album. I'd argue actually that in this case we the people are the consumable resource in that we are all opportunities for the artist to make money off their art. As soon as we obtain the art in any fashion (legit or not) the likelihood of us ever opting to pay for it after that point goes way way down. When we have the art in our possession we are often effectively "consumed" as a money source whether we actually paid for the art or not. Some people may have a personal code of honor that they'll delete the album or pay for it after one listen or something (sounds like that may be the case for you?) but most people won't do that and suddenly the artist is missing out on 100, 500, 1000 albums sales.

I don't mean to attack you here but your version of try before you buy is pretty inconsiderate to the artist's situation.

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:44 am 

Sudden new MV

And while I remembered about Mikki. She tweeted the photo without face. I write to her "I thought at first that this is a male body." She responds "almost correct." I hope she wrote about my bad Japanese, and not about what I thought.

tahu157 wrote:
@Hyungnim
There's a debate there about the balance between equal access to art and the artist getting paid for their effort. I tend to lean towards wanting the artist having complete control over their work, to include expecting people to pay upfront to experience their work in its entirety. Anyone's inability to pay, while vexing, doesn't or shouldn't override the artist's right to be paid. The best solution to both problems would probably be a free to use, ad-supported streaming platform that Japanese artists were willing to use, and also paid as much as normal sales. That's kind of a pipe-dream though.

Yes, the use of streaming services is right solution. But in Japan, few publishers are ready for such cooperation. In Japan, a very old population, which is very difficult to accept something new.

We do not have Spotify, there is Yandex Music, where there are very few Japanese projects. I found only two labels: Howling Bull and Poppin. And also I found Area51 of the times of independent publication. Until recently, there was also Walkure Records, but there was a funny story. That's all.

Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:59 am 

It turns out that in May the band "HEARTFUL FAITH" was created. I would not pay attention if I did not recognize the bassist.

Spoiler: show

Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

Yak_Forger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 pm 

Yeah, we're all for legal consumption of music, but sometimes illegal downloads are the only way to listen to/watch some things. Plus, some of us, for example, live in countries in which we can't use Paypal, which makes it harder to buy stuff abroad without fees.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 am 

Tracklist for Dir en grey's new album 'The Insulated World' announced!

Promotional picture:

DISC 1: Blu-spec CD2

軽蔑と始まり
Devote My Life
人間を被る
Celebrate Empty Howls
詩踏み
Rubbish Heap

Values of Madness
Downfall
Followers
谿壑の欲
絶縁体
Ranunculus

DISC 2: CD

鬼眼
THE DEEPER VILENESS
理由
腐海 [LIVE]
*Live Take at SHINKIBA STUDIO COAST on June 30, 2018
Ash [LIVE]
Beautiful Dirt [LIVE]

DISC 3: Blu-ray or DVD

・MUSIC CLIP
 Ranunculus (Promotion Edit Ver.)
・LIVE FOOTAGE
 TOUR18 真世界
 2018.4.28 仙台銀行ホール イズミティ21
 01. DIFFERENT SENSE
 02. 鴉
 03. DISABLED COMPLEXES
 04. 霧と繭
 TOUR18 真世界
 2018.6.30 新木場STUDIO COAST (追加公演)
 01. VINUSHKA
 02. audience KILLER LOOP
 03. REPETITION OF HATRED
 04. Behind a vacant image
・BEHIND THE SCENES OF The Insulated World

As always, really excited for a new Dir en grey album... But I have the feeling this is going to be a disappointment. Hope I'm not right!

I hope 'Utafumi' and 'Ningen wo Kaburu' aren't overall examples of what the album is going to sound. The first one was really lackluster for me; I expect them to re-record it properly. 'Ningen...' was ok, but it still feels average for what the band was doing on the last albums (the lack of cohesion between the verses and the first chorus still bugs me).

The description for those two new songs (the DSS-like and 'Ranunculus') sound promising, but I still have a bad feeling about this album. I hope they do not sacrifice their recent experimentation and 'weirdness' in favour of a more straightforward and back to the root's approach: a balance between both would be great (as 'ARCHE' seemed to hint).

Also, with just 13 songs, I'm hoping there's at least two songs that are over 8 minutes like 'Vinushka' or 'Diabolos" and have a progressive feel to them. Sadly, something tells me that they are going full 'VULGAR' or 'Withering to death.' and the longest song is going to peak around the 5 minute mark.

By the way, remaking 'Kigan', 'The Deeper Vileness', and 'Wake' sounds great! I wonder if they are going to downtune the earlier songs and reconstruct them just like in 'The Unraveling' EP or if they are just going to remake them in a similar style to the originals just like in 'VESTIGE OF SCRATCHES'. I think the remakes of 'Beautiful Dirt', 'The IIID Empire' and 'Fukai' didn't bring anything new to the table (to be honest, they feel like a missed chance to me).

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:26 am 

Please advise the easiest riffs in Drop C. Something like that.

Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:41 pm 

so since when is this thread dead?

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

The core membership moved to an offsite forum when some annoying people took up residence here. Perdition666 even deleted his MA account.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 am 

Should give him a link to said offsite forum.

https://japanesemetalforum.com/

kluseba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:34 pm 

If an interesting new album comes around, I will still post about it here. I don't have time to be active on multiple forums, so I will just stick to this one.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 am 

I'm listening right now to this band called: "Aphasia" and they are bloody amazing. This is from their first album and it is just a great listen.

Those ladies put a lot energy and fire into their music which sounds so unique. I friggin' love. They're pretty overlooked, haven't they? They have that distinctive style which I am loving.

Why Japanese metal so damn awesome??

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 am 

Aphasia are a hard band to pigeonhole. For the longest time they seemed to toe the line between rock and metal, sometimes veering far into either direction (the title track from Wings of Fire is totally metal, while "炎" off the same album is gorgeous atmospheric rock), but they have a great sense of melody and they're good musicians. I tend to think of Judas Priest's Point of Entry at times when trying to describe them concerning heaviness...except they can really cook at times. Their most recent album though has cemented their metal cred, as it's crankin' heavy metal with bursts of high velocity.

Cool band, and sort of filled the void between the Show-Ya era of female heavy metal groups and the Destrose era (not including the more rabid groups like Yellow Machinegun that were in their prime when Aphasia gained traction).

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:54 am 

old school dm outfit hellchild have reformed

ChristBeheader666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:48 am 

Gotta give this a listen I enjoyed their last one.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:31 am 

Just stumbled onto this band, fucking banger track.

Last FM

maniquos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:26 am 

Hey everyone, big supporter of J-metal. :) Nice to see this thread exists.

Some my favorite bands:

X Japan - Blue Blood, Art of Life, Jealousy, VV, Dahlia in that order. The demoes aren't that amazing but they at least played speed metal back in the day ha. hide was a good guitarist but that's all they ever talk about (besides Yoshiki's ego)

Loudness - Love everything they did, though I come back to Shadows of War and Thunder in the East since I'm a sucker for good melodies.

Versailles/Jupiter - Love the first Versailles, but Jupiter is even better. Not 100% sold on Kuze just yet but he has better technique than Zin for sure. I heard he was in the band Concerto Moon, need to investigate them some more.

Galneryus - I watched lots of anime in the 00's and found out they did a theme song, checked out One for All and loved them instantly. Favorite is Vetelgyus actually. The keybaordist Yuhki has prog tendencies, extremely skilled. I found out he's in other bands too, like Ark Storm and Alhambra. Both great bands but Ark Storm's debut album is too rough for re-spins.

Anthem - Discovered because of Animetal, don't care for Morikawa so anything with Eizo is a keeper IMO. Fave albums right now are Bound to Break (classic) and Black Empire (newer). Heard they are playing in Germany next 2 months, that's cool though, well deserved.

Seikima-II - Flawless discography, if I had to choose a favorite, would be Big Time Changes. I recently bought their early singles comp.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:24 am 

maniquos wrote:
Versailles/Jupiter - Love the first Versailles, but Jupiter is even better. Not 100% sold on Kuze just yet but he has better technique than Zin for sure. I heard he was in the band Concerto Moon, need to investigate them some more.

I dunno why you aren't that sold on Kuze, but this might seal the deal. That range though!

Dunno though why Concerto Moon has not made more songs like that with Kuze. Or maybe I haven't listened to a lot of their songs smh

maniquos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:33 pm 

themaxie wrote:
maniquos wrote:

I dunno why you aren't that sold on Kuze, but this might seal the deal. That range though!

Dunno though why Concerto Moon has not made more songs like that with Kuze. Or maybe I haven't listened to a lot of their songs smh

Wow thanks that was excellent, sounds very Yngwie. I'll have to fire up HMV very soon and pick up that Saviour Never Cry CD. Apparently this band is from the '90s and thier most popular song is Time to Die, that's from Rain Forest album which had a diff vocal guy. I dig the hair lol

Oh yeah, wanted to say while I like Lovebites new album, it could have been better, still prefer the debut the most and it has the EP songs rerecorded, so win win. They also started playing Euro soil, good for them.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:58 pm 

New Mary's Blood 'Confessions' coming in June:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... ons/769617

I don't think I'll ever not be excited for a new Mary's Blood album. My hopes for this album would be that they continue in the direction they took with Revenant but replace all the sing-along numbers with darker stuff like 女神の裁き~Death Queen's March~. I love that song and really want to hear more songs like it. This new one does have a song with the same naming convection (Japanese~English~) so at the very least I'd expect that one to be a continuation of Death Queen's March.

EDIT: I should also say that song titles like "High-5" and "Go Ahead & Laugh" make me think that they will also include some of the sing-along songs. Oh well.

Last edited by tahu157 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 pm 

Hot diggity fuckin' damn, they certainly didn't wait long. Commence hype.

EDIT: tahu, in case you were curious, in the song title "贖罪の鐘~Requiem for the Victims~", the Japanese portion reads "shokuzai/dokuzai no kane," or "bell of atonement."

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:51 pm 

Wish they had mentioned "the goddess" in the title. Woulda definitely confirmed that it was a sequel song.

kluseba

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:59 pm 

I wish Mary's Blood released a compilation soon. I would like to start with this before purchasing one of the numerous EPs and full lengths they have been releasing over the past few years. That being said, I ordered a few new records from CD Japan with a friend of mine: extensive compilations of Bowwow and Hamada Mari, the debut full lengths of Brats and Tainted DickMen, the last one of Necronomidol and the last triple live record of PassCode. This makes for a quite vivid mixture and plenty of entertainment.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 pm 

In lieu of a best-of, I'd recommend starting at either Bloody Palace or Countdown to Evolution. Revenant is also pretty good but not quite as consistent as the first two. Fate was pretty weak and there is some speculation that it was a rush job to get out of a 3-album deal with Victor Entertainment. The three EPs they did before they started doing full-lengths practically sound like a totally different band even though they mostly feature the current lineup. Scarlet is by far the best of the three. Azure has some good stuff too but the production is stonewalled to shit. And then Zero is pretty skippable except for the song Save the Queen.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:47 pm 

My personal ranking/recommendation:

Countdown to Evolution > Bloody Palace > Scarlet EP > Revenant > FATE >= a decent majority of other Japanese power metal bands in their entirety > Azure EP > Zero EP.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:55 am 

tahu157 wrote:

I don't think I'll ever not be excited for a new Mary's Blood album. My hopes for this album would be that they continue in the direction they took with Revenant but replace all the sing-along numbers with darker stuff like 女神の裁き~Death Queen's March~. I love that song and really want to hear more songs like it. This new one does have a song with the same naming convection (Japanese~English~) so at the very least I'd expect that one to be a continuation of Death Queen's March.

EDIT: I should also say that song titles like "High-5" and "Go Ahead & Laugh" make me think that they will also include some of the sing-along songs. Oh well.

女神の裁き~Death Queen's March~ is awesome, and I agree, they have the chops for the adventurous stuff so they should roll with it a bit more. The potential party rock numbers aren't a surprise, and I suppose they work for the local live shows.

As for recommendations where to start, Bloody Palace is my vote...pretty much a killer overview of the band. Countdown to Evolution is also great with some of their best songs, but BP has that extra burst of energy with more ripping stuff like "Bloody Birth Day" and "I'm Dead"...befitting my personal preferences. By the way, the negative review for CtE laments the lack of J-rock and X-Japan influences of their debut, before the member and genre overhaul when they became what they are today. That bad review might as well be praise as far as I'm concerned, since Saki and Rio made them a true force.
When Fate came out, I was jonesin' for more Bloody Palace, and got it. Over time my initial love has faded...it's still good, but if I wrote a review now, Revenant would rank higher than Fate as I appreciate them branching out and trying new things without giving up their core style

A shameful admittance, after some years of being a fan, I still haven't listened to the Scarlet EP yet. I need to fix this.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:23 am 

Scarlet is awesome. It's a grab bag of different styles, but you got "Burning Blaze" for your ripping power metal needs, "Far Away to..." for their signature ballad, "Ms. Carrie" for the off-beat hard rock track, and so forth. It's a damn good EP.

kluseba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:19 am 

The new Ningen Isu record has been completed and will be released on June 5th, 2019. It will include twelve new songs. The special edition includes a DVD with a documentary about the recording.

kluseba

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:00 am 

This song is huge! Listen to it! Watch it! Leave a comment.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:25 pm 

I know people overall dislike deathcore here but I kinda like what they're bringing here, the harp (?) breakdown actually made me feel something. Album comes out next month I believe.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 am 

tahu157 wrote:
New Mary's Blood 'Confessions' coming in June:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... ons/769617

How are you liking the new album?

I'm listening to it, as we speak. It's pretty good and this my second time listening to it.

I love the dark atmosphere this album possesses, although, this is the first album I listen from Mary's Blood and I'm quite enjoying it.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:00 pm 

Haven’t heard it yet unfortunately. Been avoiding any of the samples as well so I don’t really have any idea about what it sounds like going in. I’m probably going to do a big order from HMV soon. Gonna get the new Mary’s Blood and Ningen Isu for sure. Probably Unlucky Morpheus’ Change of Generation as well. Maybe Fuki’s new album? I’ve got a few other backlog items too but I’ll probably hold off on those.

vven
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm 

Hey guys, can anyone confirm if this Toshiyuki Miyazawa https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Toshi/407162 is the same person as this Toshi Miyazawa https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... awa/695777 ?

kluseba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am 

Onmyo-za is going to release two massive boxed sets on December 4th, 2019. The first includes all sixteen singles of the band for 15000 yen (more or less 140 US$). The second includes all fifteen studio albums plus a disc with ten rerecorded tunes from the early years for 30000 yen (more or less 280 US$). I only know the band's first album which was good but not outstanding. Could anyone recommend me some of the band's albums to explore them further? Thanks!

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:44 am 

kluseba wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some of the band's albums to explore them further? Thanks!

They have a very solid discography, so you can't really go wrong with anything this band has done. I'd say 百鬼繚乱 (Hyakki Ryouran) and 魔王戴天 (Maou Taiten) are the best albums to start with.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:00 pm 

Just remembered this thread exists, don't know if I can still bring it back to life! HAH!

Anyway, I was checking out but Evoke's from Aldious, the new singer is pretty solid, I think I liker her better than RE:No.
Also, any opinions on the SAKI's solo album? It's called The One, I find it very Cyntya-esque but that is by no means bad. I0ve been looking for any her live performances with Aldious with no luck :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next