Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:21 am 

I got the lyrics to Raglaia's "Forlorn" translated. He said it was real hard to translate due to the subtleties. But here's what we got:

(I) didn't notice the bright constellation because of watery eyes.
The wavering tears prevented me from seeing (the constellations).
The cold silence confines my soul to an emotionless dark room.
(I) wanted to look up, (I) wanted to put things into action, (I) wanted someone to pull me up, (I) wanted to communicate; but I am always alone and there is only darkness around me.

I stood up and screamed subconsciously because of the ever increasing emotion.
To enable myself to brighten up, to be able to put things into action, to have someone pull me up; Under the bright light, I cried by myself while I laughed with you.

The angel, who is superlative to all others; holding fragments of overflowing emotion while ascending to the sky, then spreads the emotion out through light rays.

The scenary here is not limited to a select few people.
Enable to create a star brighter than that constellation, light comes out of the forehead to create a sky full of stars and brighten up the ground.

The angel, who is superlative to all others; holding fragments of overflowing emotion while ascending to the sky, then spreads the emotion out through light rays.

The angel, who is superlative to all others; holding feathers of wish, looking over us from the sky, then sending out wish granting shooting stars to provide happiness to all.

-------------

Now compare that to "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah I would die for you." :P

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:00 am 

Well, I'm going on good faith the other songs have better lyrics. Can't see anyone over here wanting to translate Re:NO's lyrics though.

With that new Raglaia single, I'm warming up to Strings of Fate the most. Pretty moody and some prog flourishes to it.

One thought I had, there's a good chance some people will prefer Raglaia over any Aldious - so Rami dumping that band and going back to Aldious would be unfair to the fanbase they're building up. Personally, I want to see Aldious thoroughly explore the direction they're on now anyway. I've always hated the half-hearted "keeping-the-throne-warm" replacement singer thing... you pick a new vocalist, ride it out to the end. Yes, I still feel guilt over the awful things I said about Blaze Baily back in the 90s. :P

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:09 pm 

There's only one solution and that's Rami returning to Aldious. Those first two albums are proof of that. She and Yoshi were the best team in Japan.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

I do like the Raglaia singles more than the first couple of Aldious albums. :P

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:27 pm 

I'll have a lot of respect for Yoshi if she sticks with Re:NO - I hate fan-pandering. Bands should write music for themselves first and foremost.

Another option (and the only one with any integrity) would be to form a 3rd band while Raglaia and Aldious remain active. People being in multiple bands over there is pretty common.

Speaking of which, I really hope this turns into a full-time band:
Spoiler: show

namine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:41 pm 

no idea what they say

Spoiler: show

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:46 pm 

I saw that one too and nearly shat myself (assuming it was the same one I saw - it was around the time, maybe before, she posted that pic with Toki). From what I remember from bing translate, it seemed like Rami endorsed Re:NO as Aldious' vocalist (gave her blessing, approval, or something to that effect) and Re:NO wished her well on her health.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:24 pm 

"Outer Dark" lyrics. She's freaking out my translator. :)

----------

In a dark and disturbing world.
My heart, which fears loneliness
receives no mercy

Would you love me if I am someone else?
I can't get love as who I am right now.

Are those pair of kind affectionate eyes that I have always trusted real?

Would you still love me if I am someone else?
I can't get love as who I am right now.
Outer dark is in my blood

The passing of time has stopped for me
that I didn't even realize the ruthless words directed toward me and the deep wound that those words left on me.

(you) act as if you are touching a swelling wound
the fake made up laughter echoing loud around

I want to be loved even if I am someone else.
I want to be loved as who I am.
Outer dark is in my blood

I have to live on with
never drying tears
wounds that I won't be able to tell anyone
and a wounded soul

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:59 pm 

Man, I don't even want to know what "Strings of Fate" is about. :P I don't understand a word and I find that song depressing as fuck. Aching Memories isn't exactly Mr. Roger's Neighborhood either. Promises actually sounds a bit out of place on that single.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:18 am 

"Cross" lyrics. Clearly on the subject of her health.

If I can move my limbs freely,
I want to overcome the wriggling black body.
The only option I am left with now is to live on together with the poison as I can feel the beat.

People are always so helpless that we can't get up without help.

There is only one thought that crosses my mind "to live"

What does those eyes see, and what is the tears for?
What food is in that mouth, and how does it taste?
Air continues to flow into my lungs as I am hearing stimulation.

Amazed at the toughness of the body as it feels like getting sliced into pieces.
The sound made by the sandglass in my hand is really clear
As I face reality.

I will answer my own scream
I will do everything to see it come to fruition
I will strive toward my goal

All my genes are coming together into one.

What do those hands want, and how do I get them?
Where are those feet headed, as they walk while kicking up the dirt?
The strong will that is engraved in my heart will become the key to bright future.

--------------
And she saw Aldious yesterday. If I saw her in the crowd I don't think I could contain myself. I'd have to say something.

https://twitter.com/RAMI_Vocal/status/6 ... 6288564226

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:26 am 

Another band made up of ex-Destrose members has formed.

"Disqualia" members:
Vo.IBUKI (Around The Nation, DESTROSE(support))
Gt.成美(narumi) (DESTROSE)
Gt.葉月(hazuki)
Ba.MAI
Dr.RISA☆RISA (DESTROSE)

http://www.disqualia.net/

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:39 pm 

New stuff from Mina.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:22 pm 

Guys, we may have to get this mag, even if we can't read it. All-girl special.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:33 pm 

They've had one of those specials before (around when Dazed & Delight came out). Kinda sad its just "Fuki" and not Light Bringer anymore. Hopefully Cyntia being there is a statement of intent (read: going back to metal). Don't think you're interested anymore, but Aldious announced their new full-length for year end's release. If its anything like Dearly or Believe Myself I'll be very happy. But knowing them, it'll be 1/3 high-speed melodic power metal, 1/3 pop-punk, and 1/3 alternative/hard rock. Raglaia has their debut slated for October, and I added the new Mary's Blood to this website. Still waiting for Bridear to announce something, but they changed their visual, and that means "new release".

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:28 pm 

Nah I've lost interest in Aldious because I know what it will be. Mid-tempo rockers and the occasional song like Butterfly Effect or Megalomaniac: thrashy and fast when Re:NO Thanks is quiet, then falling off a cliff when she sings. It's a shame since they have such a great drummer in Marina. The band could get a ton of attention simply off her father's name since Terry is so respected, too.

Raglaia and Mary's Blood will be welcomed. Hopefully we will get something new from BandMaid and Bridear, too. I wonder if Liv Moon finally has something new in the works. It's been a while.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:01 pm 

I think the problem is you're expecting them to be thrash (which is something they should probably just drop) and they've went in a more (melodic) power metal direction. With their metal songs, there's absolutely nothing objectionable or abnormal with what they're doing now (unless you hate all bands that do that, and there's tons that do). Your complaint is valid for District Zero (where the guitars sound deliberately lowered in the mix, to the point of literally disappearing), but I think they ironed things out with Dazed and Delight and the new stuff. One thing which they do have a tendency to do nowadays is contrast. Like Megalomaniac opens with a really aggressive riff, then the song goes on its merry way (I don't think the guitars disappear on it at all though). There's no way they could maintain that opening riff like that without getting boring. Its very common with power metal for the guitars to vanish on the first verse and get reintroduced in the second one. Quite often they vanish altogether during the chorus to focus on the vocals. Also I notice that a lot of Japanese power metal is more lead/lick based, as opposed to riffs/vocals/keys. I could post other power metal examples to contrast them to Aldious (esp. with Japanese stuff) to show what they do isn't that unusual. They still have more balls than Balflare or Skywings. :P

Now if they ditch the fast songs, I'll be pissed off. I was actually expecting them to go in a completely commercial direction, but Believe Myself and Dearly were much better than I expected (they're among my favorite songs by them now). I liked them so much I played them like 30-40 times and completely burnt myself out on them, ooops. :P I think they've improved in the guitar department (esp. solos) and their songwriting seems more nuanced and intricate. I like the back-and-forth that Yoshi and Toki do in Dearly. The entire band direction has changed since Re:NO came in, that's to be expected. Its like Aldious got more brighter and Rami got more dark with Raglaia. You know, if she never got sick, she probably would've left anyway - either to go solo or due to musical direction. I cannot fathom Rami in Aldious now, its almost night and day now (mood/artistic direction-wise).

Mary's Blood I'd be guardedly optimistic on if I were you. They're as much of a stylistic mess as Aldious. Like, how did you react to stuff like "Ms. Carrie", "Shout the Truth", 'XOXO", "Black Cat", etc? Can't really count their first EP and 2 singles because they lost half their lineup. Song-titles on the new one could be anything. I'm getting the impression it'll be half really aggressive songs and the other half will be sappy love songs. Bloody Birth Day I'm very curious to hear (it will probably be Coronation Day pt 2). Since they're on Victor now, I doubt you'll get a full PV. Supposedly they're putting a PV (not sure if full or not) on youtube on the 13th or 14th. I was surprised that the CD comes with a PV for Moebius Loop instead of Bite the Bullet. A bit nervous about the production, but I've listened to worse. They ARE on a major label, so you'd expect at least some quality in that department (unless going raw is deliberate).

Band-Maid have a new mini-album in early November. Not gonna pre-order it quite yet, but considering how fast their first 2 releases went out of print, I wouldn't procrastinate with that one. Be careful with this band too. Have you heard both their CDs in their entirety? Both those PVs are not indicative of their overall sound. Mind you, they could shift hears and go 100% in a heavier direction.

Liv Moon, no idea. She did that pop solo album last year (wasn't bad, but it was no Golden Moon) and that new best of had some new songs. They weren't bad, but not as good as the old stuff and seemed kinda demo-ish. Mardelas apparently will have a new single out this winter - definitely curious to hear that.

That K-A-Z solo album wasn't bad. Normally not into instrumental music, but I'm sure I can find a use/purpose for this (probably background music for video games). Not sure if I want to snag his first 2 or not yet, will be expensive (fucking shopping services, ughhh).

That Fate Gear CD wasn't bad either, but don't expect Destrose 2.0 or you will be disappointed. Its fairly underground/amateurish sounding. Not in terms of playing, but more in terms of production (good mastering job though). It rubs me the same way as a lot of doujin releases do (it also makes good background music for RPGs) It has more emphasis on atmosphere than guitar pyrotechnics (I miss Narumi already) than Destose. Not to say Mina is bad in the guitar department, it just can't remember much for solos on there. Since they're a full band now, I do expect the next release to be better. Nico is a good vocalist - she should've been Marina's replacement in Destrose. Still waiting on Miho to announce something - not sure if she's gonna rebuild Destrose, or start a new band (would be the better option). Disqualia's split seems to be a friendly one - I'm expecting them to be hard rock, as opposed to metal though.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 pm 

Aldious were power metal from the start. The difference is Rami could scream over the guitars and the song never had to downshift. Compare "Spirit Black" to "Butterfly Effect." So I agree with you, it's hard to imagine Rami singing the new songs because Yoshi is dialing it back to accomodate Reno's weak voice.

BTW, don't you find it interesting that Rami is on the cover and not Aldious?

Agreed on MB, they are all over the map. Thank you X Japan for erasing all the fucking lines between genres. The result is younger bands that copy them without realizing what they are doing. But did they really lose half their lineup? I thought 3 of the 4 are ex-Destrose.

BandMaid, yeah, gotta see what develops. They definitely shifted gears but that's what's getting them attention. "Thrill" got them international buzz. They can't pull a Cyntia now.

I hope with a fresh start, Mina can keep a stable band. Destrose became a joke with its lineup changes.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:03 pm 

I sure hope Nico manages to stick around. Her vocals are really, really good and with a great instrumental backing, Fate Gear could be pretty sweet.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:06 pm 

I think a lot of Aldious' newer songs may have been the same way regardless of who's singing over them though. Sure they seem to emphasize contrast with the opening riff more now - like none of their older stuff had riffs as aggressive as the opening one for Megalomaniac. The rest of that song isn't really dialed back (pretty standard stuff actually), its just overshadowed by that one really aggressive opening riff. Not all of the songs that Rami sang over were riff-frienzies either (Mermaid?) - and a couple Raglaia songs like Forlorn? and Promises aren't really guitar-centric either. I don't think Re:NO would sound good over thrash riffs (would be like ice cream and vinegar), but she can (and has) sung over heavier guitars. Its not like all the guitars just magically vanish when she opens her mouth (I have heard Euro power metal bands like that). Butterfly Effect has the strange decision of having the guitars diminish during the verses but reappear doing the chorus. I never actually found that song to be terribly aggressive, to be honest. More dark/claustrophobic than anything (muddy production augments that).

But the point I was making was, the "dialing back" isn't anything really that abnormal (and is probably exacerbated by the contrast between the opening riff and the rest of the song), and is something I probably wouldn't even blame on Re:NO. If Yoshi is trying to compose the song to make Re:NO the focal point (as opposed to limiting the song to compensate for Re:NO's weaknesses), then that gives rise to an even more grave thought: they think Re:NO sounds good and so do their fans. I mean, I actually like Re:NO and felt she's improved with each release, but she's not THAT good. I do realize some vocal styles/vocalists sound good to the Japanese and total shit to us (and vice versa), but still...

Yeah, Niboshi, Chiba, and Eri left. They recruited Saki and Rio then did Scarlet. So that's pretty much MB 2.0. No idea of what took place, I wasn't listening to Japanese music then. I think Eri may have been in the band when Saki was, but left later. I think genre-hopping is just a Japan thing, I'm pretty much used to it now - but I have pretty bad music-ADHD. I can handle using different genres if it fits a theme or if its done with conviction (proper intent). They seem better at that sort of thing than bands over here. At times I wonder how many of these bands are actually metal, and just use metal on a palate like all other genres?

I hate to say it, but Band-Maid will do whatever who's pulling their strings tells them to do (just like Cyntia). Embarrassingly enough, I actually like some of their poppier shit (probably why Die For You didn't phase me one bit because its no worse than this stuff). I am kinda surprised how many youtube plays they're getting - they must've networked with some people who are good with that sort of thing. I hope they don't break out like Babymetal though - so goddamn sick of that band (I don't actually hate them per se, just sick of people bleating about them).

Yeah, it sure seems suspicious when you have like 4+ complete lineup implosions. Its disturbing how many bands I listen to that feature ex-Destrose members lol I hope Fate Gear succeeds... but if they start losing members, I'll just assume Mina is... extremely difficult to work with, to put things mildly.

Band drama is apparently pretty bad over there, they just keep everything under wraps. Despite Exist Trace wimping out, I actually respect them for keeping the same lineup for 10+ years. Considering all the implosions and "indefinite hiatuses" I've had to endure, that's quite a feat. And unfortunately its not too long until new years and that's when bands often blow up. Mind you, doesn't stop them from doing that during the rest of the year.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 pm 

Fuck, I'm writing essays today! lol

Dudemanguy wrote:
I sure hope Nico manages to stick around. Her vocals are really, really good and with a great instrumental backing, Fate Gear could be pretty sweet.

She might be the best up and coming vocalist I've heard over there. She seems pretty inspired (most important trait, IMO), versatile and she's unique. And I think she likes Onmyo-Za too, which is a major plus. I can't really compare her to many female vocalists over there, and I listen to a fuckton.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 pm 

traxan wrote:
Thank you X Japan for erasing all the fucking lines between genres.

I might not give X Japan all the credit on that one. Buck-Tick was around at the same time and they also switched up genres. I think D'erlanger started off as speed metal actually, but I don't think any of that made it onto a studio album. There's actually was a fair amount of visual kei thrash in the 80s as well (Gargoyle is probably the most famous example, and they're still around today) and that stuff was pretty varied as well. Gargoyle's debut, Misogi, came out only a few months after X Japan's Blue Blood and it's way more of a genre clusterfuck (neoclassical, funk, ballads, thrash, etc.). Blue Blood is pretty varied, but Jealousy is the album where they really just do whatever. I'm sure the Gargoyle guys were jamming to Vanishing Visions and Blue Blood before recording, but it's still any interesting historical note. I haven't heard the first couple of Doom albums, but those are also really, really early (1987 and 1988; both predate Blue Blood) and given the "progressive" tag; I assume they probably also break genres.

Interestingly enough, X Japan's biggest single contribution to Japanese metal might be "Silent Jealousy" off of Jealousy. Dunno how familiar you are with that song, but that's basically the blueprint of Japanese power metal. All of usual elements (neoclassical leads, the main riff, bass wandering, spastic drumming, soaring vocals, etc.) in the modern power metal scene can be found in that song; it's pretty interesting. Of course, X Japan is indirectly responsible for like half of the music I listen to and their own music is super good anyway (I have major doubts about the new album that's supposed to come out next year, but we'll see) , so I do respect them a lot regardless.

Perdition666 wrote:
She might be the best up and coming vocalist I've heard over there. She seems pretty inspired (most important trait, IMO), versatile and she's unique. And I think she likes Onmyo-Za too, which is a major plus. I can't really compare her to many female vocalists over there, and I listen to a fuckton.

Agreed. I don't really have a baseline to compare her with either; she's a really unique vocalist with a powerful delivery. Certainly the biggest draw for me which is unusual.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 pm 

I really wonder how influential bands like Novela were? Their prog scene was a clusterfuck too, and that predated the visual kei bands by quite a bit. I think they've *always* had the tendency to throw jazz in at any opportunity, much to the horror of most western metal fans.

Fate Gear's remake of "Winds of Fall" was better than the original, but not the massive upgrade I was expecting. I think that song is just flatout strange. Nico does handle those high notes better than Lisa ever did though *cringe*. MEGABULLETS is fucking awesome - best song on that album and the best song Mina ever composed. Nico fucking kills it on that one. Nocturnal Moon was neat too - "Taaaake my haaaaaaandssssss!". Not sure why Romancer was re-recorded (seems like different lyrics) and its nice to have a new version of Deathless Memories, but I prefer the hilarious rawness of the original.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:14 am 

Well sort of. Visual kei actually was around in the early 80s, but it was very underground, and none of the bands made it to the Japanese mainstream acceptance until the late 80s. Hell, Vanishing Vision, a speed metal album minus a couple of tracks, sold 10,000 copies in one week and reached 19 on Oricon. That's more than good enough to be a breakout album, but they would sell even more later on including the more experimental material. Prog did have its heyday a lot earlier in comparison. I have no idea what happened to prog rock; seems like it sort of just diffused into everything. I've heard prog elements in so many different bands all over the map. From Kuroyume's first single, to Versailles/Jupiter, Onmyo-za (that one song on the second album has the drums switch to playing in four while everyone else is playing in six), etc. I mean there has to be a decent amount of "straight" prog rock bands still around, but I assume they sound modern like Mahatma or All Images Blazing.

I'm all down for Fate Gear. I think that'll be on my next order regardless of the drum machine lol.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:22 am 

I think the thing with Japanese prog is, it was pretty cross-pollinated already. Like there was always a major hard rock component, pop, metal, jazz, AOR, and god knows what else. Novela being probably the biggest example (and they splintered off into many different bands). But I think Japan's tendency for fusing pop with prog (or at any rate, very technical music while being poppy as fuck) has been a 40 year problem lol When I first heard Light Bringer, that was one of the most mind-blowing things I've heard, but as it turns out, they've been doing that shit forever and LB was just the next rung in the evolutionary chain.

I really think they look at western music like a kid in a candy store and pick and choose whatever and make it work. From what I've observed on last.fm, the taste of music of listeners over there is totally all over the place, no rhyme or reason, and totally doesn't conform to any rule we have over here. Their music scene really seems the same way - or at any rate, things operate completely different than over here (either that or I listen to total poser crap). On one hand, mindlessly adhering to genres/styles can completely sterilize/stagnate everything - not gonna say they're at the opposite end of the spectrum though... I don't find much music (that I've come across) over there to be haphazard or chaotic, in fact everything seems very ordered and structured. Almost... too ordered. Did I just contradict myself? lol

Yeah, if you can handle the programmed drums, you should be fine with that album. It'd be funny if you preferred them over Destrose lol

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:48 am 

That's a good point I forgot about. The 80s prog I have is mostly symphonic so I guess it slipped my mind, but that one Pageant album is definitely really, really poppy (and I like the guitars better lol). Light Bringer's Genesis really left me on the floor when I first heard it; such a mind-boggingly mix of pop, power metal and technical/progressive elements. Babel, for example, destroyed my brain and that ending out of nowhere certainly didn't help lol.

That candy store analogy is actually pretty nice, and I might steal it from you in the future. :P It does drive seem some people up the wall though. Like that lone review of the first Onmyo-za album on here has the main criticism on the experimentation and diversity of the music. But that's actually one of the biggest strongpoints of the band. The way they fuse heavy, folk, power, thrash and even some extreme metal elements makes them special. Hell, they have that one song on Kishibojin that's literally folk+thrash+jazz+heavy. Also, X Japan's Jealousy has some critical reviews here, but I actually like that album a whole lot better than Blue Blood. For one, the production doesn't suck, but also I like the diversified and overall more experimental approach. Like Desperate Angel is still a really bizarre song. It starts off like some monstrosity from the 80s, but then Yoshiki pounds on the double bass, the riffs start going, the bass does a lot of stuff. It's really weird; of course the chorus is more tame, but it's far from being just some bad 80s glam rock like the first 30 seconds or so would lead you to believe.

I don't have any Destrose material, but it's certainly a possibility that I might Fate Gear better. Not that I have anything against Destrose, but none of the youtube clips really did much for me.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:32 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
That's a good point I forgot about. The 80s prog I have is mostly symphonic so I guess it slipped my mind, but that one Pageant album is definitely really, really poppy (and I like the guitars better lol).

Teru's Symphonia, Starless, and Vienna are all poppy as fuck too, yet can get really technical as well. I can see why this stuff would drive a lot of typical prog fans up the wall. Those bands aren't afraid to just go straight hard rock from time to time too. You know, awhile back I wondered if there was any new wave/prog mixtures (I guess Yes' "Drama" and King Crimson "Discipline" are close) and I guess I got my answer lol Fuck, Outer Limits is another one that fits that mold (at least from the one song I heard) and I should make a point of checking them out sometime. Makes me wonder where all these bands went. Retired?

Quote:
Light Bringer's Genesis really left me on the floor when I first heard it; such a mind-boggingly mix of pop, power metal and technical/progressive elements. Babel, for example, destroyed my brain and that ending out of nowhere certainly didn't help lol.

They seemed good at first, but by around the 3rd play my mind was totally blown. Merrymaker was the one that sealed the deal for me (and raped my credit card lol)

Quote:
That candy store analogy is actually pretty nice, and I might steal it from you in the future. :P It does drive seem some people up the wall though. Like that lone review of the first Onmyo-za album on here has the main criticism on the experimentation and diversity of the music. But that's actually one of the biggest strongpoints of the band. The way they fuse heavy, folk, power, thrash and even some extreme metal elements makes them special. Hell, they have that one song on Kishibojin that's literally folk+thrash+jazz+heavy. Also, X Japan's Jealousy has some critical reviews here, but I actually like that album a whole lot better than Blue Blood. For one, the production doesn't suck, but also I like the diversified and overall more experimental approach. Like Desperate Angel is still a really bizarre song. It starts off like some monstrosity from the 80s, but then Yoshiki pounds on the double bass, the riffs start going, the bass does a lot of stuff. It's really weird; of course the chorus is more tame, but it's far from being just some bad 80s glam rock like the first 30 seconds or so would lead you to believe.

Onmyo-Za is all over the place - always has been. Its strange how that never phased me one iota. They even have some poppier numbers as well (like the last song on "Maou Taiten") - but for some ungodly reason, it works. I'm pretty sure all the songs are written to fit a motif or theme. To be honest, with Japanese music, I'm not even paying attention to genre at all. I'm more zeroed in on intent/vision/etc. Plus its a real good excuse to escape my usual musical confines.

[edit] Speaking of Onmyo-Za, I have those 2 new Blu-Rays on order and they're in shipping process - should have those next week. The songs from that thunder album are going to totally own live.

Quote:
I don't have any Destrose material, but it's certainly a possibility that I might Fate Gear better. Not that I have anything against Destrose, but none of the youtube clips really did much for me.

Their S/T is pretty solid and that Maze/Rin single is nice. Rin was boring at first, but it grew on me. In fact, I don't think I'd consider them an "immediate" band. The Prologue tread with caution - I like it, but I'm in the vast minority. Its more weird than anything.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:37 pm 

Mary's Blood's album is called "Bloody Palace."

[CD track list]
01.The Gate of Palace
02.Bite The Bullet
03.Crime and Punishment
04.Song for You
05.Ready to Go
06.Grayish World
07.Bloody Birth Day
08.I'm Dead
09.Sweet Trap
10.Infinite Love
11.Moebius Loop

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:47 pm 

Yeah, I added that to the archives a couple days ago. The cover you posted is the limited edition, which looks better than the regular one (sometimes its the reverse scenario). I pre-ordered that along with the new Gacharic Spin full-length, and some other crap. I just hope the production on this doesn't suck - but I guess if I can desensitize myself to that last Albion, I can handle anything.

Some sad news: It looks like Haruna pulled the plug on her upcoming marriage. Makes me wonder if her and Miho are going to collaborate again? Miho posted a pic of her and Hanako (Octaviagrace, and formerly Destrose) the other day, so I wonder if she's trying to recruit her? I don't know if Japan gives a toss about brands like we do, but the Destrose name is pretty damaged... like 6 fucking vocalists now? They'd probably have to get Marina back in order to salvage things. If that doesn't happen, best to start over with a new band.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:30 pm 

Haruna is the drummer who quit, right? Didn't she have a hearing problem as well?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:34 pm 

Yup, and I heard something about that too. Now how severe it was is anyone's guess. But to be honest, if she resurfaces in a new Destrose lineup, I would not be shocked. What they do is actually the #1 thing I'm interested in at the moment (I guess what the former Albion members do ranks up there too).

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:27 am 

I'd have to think the Destrose name is ruined now. Do covers from their time in the band but get a new name.

BTW where do you get all your news? Can't be from Monochrome Heaven.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:56 am 

I get mine from twitter - I pretty much follow every band I listen to (plus a lot of the members too). There's also useful news sites over there, but you have to rely on google translate. For new releases, HMV and Disk Union's feeds are really good. At times I get news faster on western bands from them than aggregates over here lol For discovering new bands, I find following concerts/promoters to be useful. I will usually check out bands who tour with other bands I listen to... leads to rather haphazard results, to say the least. Bands also retweet other bands over there.

I'm always on the lookout for useful sites over there. For example, this one seems promising (I discovered a new band on there today actually). CD distros over there like S.A. Music are pretty useful. I probably could plaster the guy that runs it with questions, but I'd feel I'd be a nuisance (I have a friend who's asked him questions about bands over there and whatnot).

I do follow a few fans over there (and vice versa), and one speaks English. Only talked to him a couple times though. He knows a lot of bands I listen to personally.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:43 pm 

Do any of you have AT&T U-Verse for cable? There's a Japanese channel called NHK World (ch. 1221) and it has a music show called J-MELO. BandMaid will be profiled tomorrow.

http://bandmaid.futureartist.net/news/40954

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:55 pm 

Not I. Hopefully someone will post that on youtube or niconico (I keep forgetting I have an account there).

Looks like Miho is acting as Estrella's support bassist. Not sure if that's a one time thing or not. They play Dark Moor-eque female fronted power metal. Musically they're pretty good, but the vocals need work. Can't really recommend them unless you're into seriously underground stuff (I am). They do have potential and maybe in a few years they'll be ready for prime time. Their eponymous song is well-done (vocals be damned) and is insidiously catchy.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:39 pm 

Holy crap, check out Marina's new drum kit for Aldious. The old man sure hooked her up.

Last edited by traxan on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:49 pm 

Yeah, I saw that one already - 3 bass-drums. Looks similar to her old man's actually (I saw a comparison pic on twitter earlier). Not quite as elaborate though. Marina is also featured in a drum mag over there too (recent). With all that in mind, I just hope they make full use of her (and they have been) - a drumset like that = statement of intent, IMO. Would love to see some more technical stuff, while going fast as fuck (think Galneryus or MinstreliX).

Any idea how many BPM "Believe Myself" is? I fucking suck at calculating that. I saw some interview (in Japanese) and Yoshi said Disclose was 200 and Re:peatedly was 220 (and Believe Myself is faster than either of those).

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:56 pm 

Look at the bass drums. They get bigger moving left/her right. So I'm betting she has 3 sets of pedals to use each one.

She's got a way to go before she can match the old man :lol:

Toki's still doing her Great Muta spray. I wonder what's on Marina's MacBook.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:31 pm 

I wonder how they transport that drum set - no way it'd fit in that van they use. Unless they have it shipped in advance. At least Toki's not pointing - lord help us all once she discovers colored spray (pink mist?) I notice computers with drum sets quite a bit over there. Not a technical expert or anything, so I'm not sure what its for. Hopefully its not triggers or anything - the drums sounded fairly natural on that single (but I'm far from the best with judging that, unless its click-click-click central).

The did an 18 song (I think) one-man recently, so Marina seems capable of doing 2 hour sets (and a lot of their material is pretty fast/demanding). I wonder if she does backing vocals like Aruto did (I see a mic there).

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:51 pm 

NHK World is airing the special now. They ran down a list of 48 new bands making an impact. Ranged from pop to rock to weird. They just showed a 15 second clip of each band. Mardelas was also included as was Rie a.k.a. Suzaku. We haven't discussed her much but she's the closest thing to a shredder I've seen over there, Saki from MB aside.

Those Chu-z girls were cute as hell.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:07 am 

I just bought a bunch of Rie's CDs recently (and she has a new one in the works) and yeah, she's pretty damn good. The thing that impresses me with her is her bass playing sounds like an actual bassist as opposed to "a guitarist who's playing bass", if you get my drift. Vocalists from other bands I listen to have sung on her albums, namely Ibuki and Akane. She focuses more on composition as opposed to showing off (seems to be the norm over there).

Eita is another shredder over there that springs to mind (really good with tapping). Hanako is in that mold as well (neoclassical), but her playing seems reserved (either by choice or by whoever is writing the song) - meaning she could be shredding like a maniac, but doesn't (even though I know she can). She's played together with Saki in a few live session bands before. Narumi is pretty good too, but seems to be on a leash. Sun Go (Show-Ya) is pretty damn good - she plays in a shred band called mintmints (its a side project with someone from Earthshaker). Oh yeah, D_Drive: Yuki fucking rips.

Actually, come to think of it, Saki is one of the only ones over there that really shows off. You know, they opened for Dragonforce in Hong Kong recently... coincidence? lol

Even though I really like Mardelas, it seems kinda unfair having them listed as a new band because everyone in that band is a veteran. Sure, Marina is fairly young, but everyone else in that band is like a 10-15 year veteran. Same mold as Raglaia and Liv Moon - solo project of a talented vocalist with an all-star band backing her.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 84  Next