* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 am 

traxan wrote:
This made me chuckle.

Sudoku is a puzzle game, like crosswords.

I believe you meant seppuku, which is ritual suicide.

It was a joke. >w>

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:19 pm 

Concerto Moon seems to have slowly phased out its neoclassical tendencies over the years. It's mostly the first four albums that have the most shredding going on, but there's still quite a lot of that happening elsewhere, albeit mostly tied to individual songs. They hit their peak of heaviness by 2004 and never let go since then. The albums Angel of Chaos and Savior Never Cry barely have any keyboard use. These two songs sound more like classic Anthem or Loudness to my ears, compared to the early days of being a more Japanese Rainbow or Stratovarius.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 am 

Cat III wrote:
TrachomaSlayer wrote:
Alright I think the word "only" was definitely inaccurate! That being said, I definitely have some homework to do since of these I only really recognize Evil, Sabbat, Abigail and Coffins.

Gotsu Totsu Kotsu is a must: old-school death metal with tight musicianship, caveman barks and standout slap-bass. Their latest album is the best with the debut coming in a close second (the other two aren't bad either). If you like Coffins, Anatomia is a safe bet. Their first album was solid Autopsy worship, but the two subsequent albums saw them coming into their own with moody dirges augmented with keyboards that never keep it from crushing (though a few of the ambient tracks on their latest get a tad repetitive for my taste).

Checking out Gotsu Totsu Kotsu and the very first thing that stood out to me was that bass, holy shit!
Check this shit out:
It's like you can hear the bass strings flapping in the breeze, I love it! One of my favorite things in death metal is great bass work. It's unrelated to the japanese metal discussion, but some of my favorite bass work in recent years was on Grave - Out of Respect for the Dead. Anyway, once I finish my homework on GTK I'll definitely check out anatomia

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 am 

Yeah Takahata's a freakishly good bassist, I'm not so familiar with the band Defiled, but he was with them for quite a while too before he created GTK and they had been popular for quite some time, so perhaps they'd be up your alley as well. I think the common opinion I've seen is that he blows Defiled away with GTK though, since it's his own creative freedom.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm 

I dunno, I'd say MTH's bassist is louder.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm 

Louder? Perhaps. He's talking about sheer skill though. :P
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm 

TrachomaSlayer wrote:
Cat III wrote:
Gotsu Totsu Kotsu is a must: old-school death metal with tight musicianship, caveman barks and standout slap-bass. Their latest album is the best with the debut coming in a close second (the other two aren't bad either). If you like Coffins, Anatomia is a safe bet. Their first album was solid Autopsy worship, but the two subsequent albums saw them coming into their own with moody dirges augmented with keyboards that never keep it from crushing (though a few of the ambient tracks on their latest get a tad repetitive for my taste).

Checking out Gotsu Totsu Kotsu and the very first thing that stood out to me was that bass, holy shit!
Check this shit out: [video omitted] It's like you can hear the bass strings flapping in the breeze, I love it!

I thought that was a strange choice of a single for their latest album. Good song, but to established fans it's what we expected from them and didn't hint at the greatness they'd achieved on Where Warriors Once Dreamed a Dream. Unfortunately, the band's music is a little hard to come by, though Retributive Justice is on Spotify and there's a smattering of songs on YouTube.

TrachomaSlayer wrote:
One of my favorite things in death metal is great bass work.

Bass is a favorite of mine in all of metal genres. Metal reviews feature some variant of "you can't hear the bass" seemingly because newbies read it so often they figure it must be true. Due to how low the guitars are tuned in death metal there's a touch more truth to the complaint, but it's still overblown. In GTK's case, I like how Haruhisa's style is conspicuously unique without being distracting or overpowering the other instruments.

TrachomaSlayer wrote:
It's unrelated to the japanese metal discussion, but some of my favorite bass work in recent years was on Grave - Out of Respect for the Dead.

I've been meaning to listen to Out of Respect for the Dead. Sounds like I shouldn't delay any further.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 am 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:
Yeah Takahata's a freakishly good bassist, I'm not so familiar with the band Defiled, but he was with them for quite a while too before he created GTK and they had been popular for quite some time, so perhaps they'd be up your alley as well. I think the common opinion I've seen is that he blows Defiled away with GTK though, since it's his own creative freedom.

To my knowledge he was only with them for the album In Crisis which is pretty good brutal/tech death. The production was definitely tailored to accentuate the bass work. It's more pummeling and chaotic than GTK. The only other Defiled album I've listened to is their last, Towards Inevitable Ruin, which I'm not a fan of--they still bring the chaos, but the guitar tone is strangely thin. The new bassist is good, though in a more subtle way.

On the subject of great Japanese bassists, it's hard to beat Gezol of Sabbat and Metalucifer. He's not flashy, but he is unique. As much as I love the thousands of singles, EPs, compilations Sabbat releases, I'm hoping this year we finally see a proper LP. It's been seven years since Sabbatrinity.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:22 pm 

The bassist that blew my mind the most is Koh Morota(RIP) from Doom. His fretless bass playing was insane, and really made Doom a one-of-a-kind band. Their 80's stuff is essential, like early Voivod if their prog inspiration was Zappa instead of Floyd.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 pm 

THE TRAILER FOR THE NEW MARY'S BLOOD ALBUM IS OUT

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:11 pm 

Not bad. Sounds like it will be better than Fate at any rate. The sound quality isn't very good, but hopefully that's just a problem with the youtube clip.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm 

Vocals sound extremely forced and almost annoying. There are only two or three positive exceptions. I'm a little bit disappointed. I liked Bloody Palace much better. Haven't listened to their other stuff yet. I guess I will buy a compilation of the band at a certain point.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Vocals sound extremely forced and almost annoying.

Incorrect. The fact that there aren't thousands of lower-range, explosive vocalists like Eye setting the Japanese power metal scene on fire is a crime and a waste.

What I'm trying to say is that every one of those two-bit acts like Tears of Tragedy should just have Eye on vocals instead.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm 

Eye sounds fine, but I don't really want everyone to sound like her (or any other vocalist, for that matter). She does sound a bit raspier than usual though.

Tears of Tragedy is hardly a two-bit act and Haruka is an excellent vocalist. They're one of the best bands over there, get better taste in music. :P

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:28 pm 

Well Perdition, I think you got the sound change you were hoping for. I think I gotta agree though that Eye didn't sound great on some of those songs towards the middle. On the Rocks was especially grating. Still I'm pretty excited for this.

EDIT: Also, first album that doesn't use a full band photo for the cover?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm 

Its not really that huge of a departure, it still sounds very much like them. I was initially going to complain about some melodies sounding recycled, but that could be just a result of a band having a "signature style". On the Rocks reminded me of something off of the second Mardelas album (which is fine cuz I really liked that album). This band has always had a hard rock side, so this is nothing new.

Not sure I'm huge on the formatting: starts off with 2 fast songs, mid-tempo middle of the album, and closing with a fast-ballad-fast song sequence. Seems kinda formulaic. But I guess you're damned here regardless of what you do.

[edit] I think that's still Eye on the cover. The band isn't on Scarlet or Azure. Ditto with the Lastgame single.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm 

I was talking mostly about the full-lengths' covers. Scarlet's cover seems to be a cutup of all the members at the time though.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 pm 

The limited edition of Countdown to Evolution comes in a black slipcase with their logo on it, but I guess that doesn't count.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:33 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
What I'm trying to say is that every one of those two-bit acts like Tears of Tragedy should just have Eye on vocals instead.

I came out of hiding just to tell you to get better taste.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:07 pm 

Man this band is breaking my heart...

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 pm 

traxan wrote:
Man this band is breaking my heart...

Not a fan of the trailer I take it?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
I think I gotta agree though that Eye didn't sound great on some of those songs towards the middle. On the Rocks was especially grating.

I highly disagree. The more aggressive Eye gets, the more I love her. Metal just plain needs more female vocalists like Eye, as well as Ida Haukland, Adrienne Cowan, Nitte Valo, and Noora Louhimo.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm 

There's plenty of masculine female vocals out there, regardless of country of origin. I personally don't care for many of them, but I find its more of the music that's at fault than anything. Last thing we need are these godawful operatic vocalists. Most of them I find repulsive and disgusting.

We need more ear-splitting, air-raid sirens, to be honest.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:58 am 

Don't get me wrong, I love Eye and I don't think Mary's Blood would have the identity that they do without her. I also wouldn't mind her adopting a more aggressive style. I do however think she has a tendency to sound pretty strained in some situations. That's kinda my complaint of Kimi of Bridear as well actually.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:19 am 

I hope she doesn't start doing death growls. I've seen her do those live and they don't sound too good.

Kimi needs to dump English, ugh. I'm glad she doesn't do the "tough girl" shtick - I'm never found that overly convincing or appealing. Her voice doesn't go well with any kind of aggression, tbh. I think their new album is going to be a major direction change. Their new guitarist is bigtime into shoegaze, so I'm going in expecting something like Katatonia. If I'm right, I'm down with that sort of thing. If not, whatever, don't care. :P

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:37 am 

Anyway, who's looking forward to the new Onmyouza album? Based on that recent single that they dropped this January, do you think they're going to continue from where the previous album left off in style? Could do with a bit meatier riffing this time, but they don't have any bad albums.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:11 am 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgbefGylzWK/?taken-by=masha_silex
Spoiler: show

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:34 am 

What's the guitar in Saki's hands? I've been seeing this guitar for a year, but it's missing on official Killer Guitars website.

Recent - Trivium - What The Dead Men Say
Previous - Black Rain - Gekka Bijin
Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm 

Bridear just released a new single, and it's not going over well. Comparisons to Scandal, Cyntia and "Die For You" are flying. I knew Misa leaving would impact the band but didn't expect this much. But I'll wait for the full album. It's still not a bad song.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm 

traxan wrote:
Comparisons to Scandal, Cyntia and "Die For You" are flying.

I like all 3 of those things. D:

Which, I guess, it follows that I kinda like this song. It's not a spectacular pop-metal song like "Die for You" is, but it's nice.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 pm 

traxan wrote:
I knew Misa leaving would impact the band but didn't expect this much.

There's some speculation in the comments of that video that the split happened because Misa wanted to go heavier and everyone else wanted to go in this direction.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:05 pm 

That wouldn't surprise me. Misa seems to be into math rock and metalcore though. The new guitarist seems to be into shoegaze. I do hope this song is the only one like it on the upcoming MCD, or else this will be even more of a crushing letdown than that Rami CD.

I guess the big problem is, all-girl pop rock bands are a dime a dozen in Japan - there really aren't that many all-girl pm bands over there. Even J-Rock is pretty supersaturated field. I just feel they're a talented band who is capable of so much more than... this. Oh well, at least the solo was nice... despite being really short.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:09 pm 

If nothing else, my sons will be happy. The only Aldious songs they seem to like are Die For You and Without You, and they're bigger Scandal fans than I. My older son has quite the hots for their drummer, it seems. I wonder how much music plays a role in his enjoyment...

I hope this isn't a Cyntia Woman situation. I fucking loved Bridear's first EP and was really getting used to their groovin' style.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:53 pm 

As I said elsewhere, what throws me is the use of 7 string guitars. You go 7 string to go heavier, which they clearly are not doing.

namine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:02 pm 

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:27 pm 

Tracklist is out for that Blood Stain Child re-recordings album.

Spoiler: show
1.KAMUI-神威-
2.Silence Of Northern Hell ~0~
3.Crimson Symphony ~rage of blood~
4.Requiem ~T.O.A~
5.Mystic Your Heart ~angel in the karma~
6.∞SYSTEM ~b.u.r.s.t~
7.CLONE LIFE ~anti-human~
8.Final Sky ~terra~
9.Embrace Me ~you are not alone~
10.TRUTH ~psyco society~
11.Exotic-6-cordinator ~novum~
12.FREEDOM ~ryu in the house~
13.Another Dimension ~shiro gane~
14.Forever Free ~焔~
15.ETRENAL-proto-type-(bonus)

I was hoping for more Epsilon songs, but I guess those songs are already indicative of the band's current style so there's no need to revisit them. Surprised to see Final Sky made the list since they already re-recorded that as Royal Sky, which is one of the best things they've ever written. Not sure what they could do to make it any better.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:01 am 

New Masashi Okagaki and Friends album in the works.

Quote:
Track list:
01.Before The Dawn
02.In A Daze
03.Retrospective -instrumental-
04.Wake Up From Magic
05.Extermination -instrumental-
06.Heal Your Heart
07.Rise In Rebellion -instrumental-
08.Banquet -instrumental-
09.Nauseous
10.Pascha -instrumental-

Cast list:
Masashi "Jill" Okagaki [Terra Rosa, Jill's Project, Aphrodite]
(Organ & Keyboards & Arrangement & Music -without original songs melodies-)
Hiromi Suzuki [Terra Rosa, Blue Symphony, Kruberablinka]
(Guitar:Tr01-06,08-10 / Arrangement:tr03,05)
Tetsuya Mitani [Emerald Aisles]
(Guitar & Arrangement:tr07)
Toshiyuki Sugimori
(Bass:Tr01-09)
Mai Araki [Aphrodite, Starless]
(Vocals & Lyrics:tr01,02,06,09)
Tetsuya Hama [TRIBAL SOUL]
(Vocals & Lyrics:tr04)

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 am 

Posting some Concerto Moon news. They are officially releasing previously bootlegged live footage.
Image Image
It will be two releases. Video (DVD) and album (CD). It also looks to be self-released, as per the "CM" in the catalog numbers.
Quote:
CONCERTO MOON
Official bootleg Series 04
Prologue To Messiah Tour 2017

仕 様:DVD
品 番:CMDV-005
価 格:4,500円(税込)

01. Unstill Night
02. Fight To The Death
03. Light In The Shadow
04. Noah’s Ark
05. Hold On
06. Stand By The Window
07. Straight From The Heart
08. Live To Win
09. Into The Fire
10. Lies And Betrayal
11. The Vail Of Mystery
12. From Father To Son
13. Tears Of Messiah
14. It’s Not Over
15. Concerto Moon
16. Change My Heart
17. Savior Never Cry

Quote:
CONCERTO MOON
Official bootleg Series 05
Prologue To Messiah Tour 2017

仕 様:CD
品 番:CMCD-001
価 格:2,500円(税込)

01. Dream Chaser
02. Cheating Fortune Teller
03. Light In The Shadow
04. Noah’s Ark
05. Cry For The Freedom
06. Into The Fire
07. From Father To Son
08. Tears Of Messiah
09. It’s Not Over
10. Concerto Moon
11. Change My Heart
12. Savior Never Cry

Norifumi Shima:Guitar
Atsushi Kuze:Vocals
Atsushi Kawatsuka:Drums
Shigeharu Nakayasu:Bass
Hiroki Matsui:Keyboards(from BLINDMAN)

※ 在庫がなくなり次第、販売を終了します。

namine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:42 am 

Does anyone know who she is?

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:32 pm 

New Dir en grey single:

Sounds great! Overall feels like this new album is going to be Arche pt. 2, which is fine by me. The song feels awkward at first: the groovy first verse does not transition well into the chorus, but after that the song goes for a more thrashy approach and then it flows smoothly. By the way, the chorus is great! There should be a PV release soon: the trailer looks promising!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next