Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:49 pm 

I only knew of Sepultura from the 80s/90s Brazilian thrash scene (probably like most Americans), but I've heard Vulcano and Executor and heartily recommend both.

I'm more up to speed on death metal, and since 2000 or so. Brazil's Chaosfear, Colombia's Internal Suffering and Under Threat, Argentina's Warbreed. Things like that. There's good metal to be found anywhere.

South America has a pretty evolved black sound too, such as Brazil's own Dark Tower and Unearthly, and Bestialized from Colombia.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:05 pm 

Just bought the Campo de Extermínio PIC LP . kind of a mix between morbid visions and INRI imo.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 pm 

Sorry to revive the thread after a week of inactivity, but I'm currently listening to Beherit's The Oath of Black Blood and was wondering if there was more classic stuff from outside South America, especially from Europe, that had that unhinged early Brazilian death/thrash spirit.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:02 pm 

The Canadian Slaughter, and Sadistik Exekution from Australia spring to mind. Albums named "Fuck of Death" and "We Are Death... Fukk You!" sound like they would fit in with old grimy Brazilian stuff.

Aeosphorus
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:45 pm 

severzhavnost the WISE! YOU SPEAK PRECIOUS WORDS! This is what I like about the debate with cunning metalheads, they establish connections that we haven't seen before! Those insane cannadians surerly share the same raw, rough and barbaric instincts. I also think that maybe UK's metallic PUNK Sacrilege and its earlier recordings may have something in common with the Brazilian unholy insanity, just the METALPUNKNOISE combination, happening at the same time, also establishes a connection! hehe!!

ATTENTION ALL UNHOLY SOULS! Hells headbanger's has decided to unlock the most sinister and fetid vaults of early Brazilian death and thrash! They have released the ULTIMATE INSULTER COMPILATION! Insulter! The band who created a miasmatic and fetid mass of incoherent unholy and blasphemous, profane and anti clerical, sexually charged noise which MAY OR MAY NOT resemble songs! A STORM of youthfull cacophonies recorded in k7s!!!

BEWARE! Beware! This is raw, uncompromising, unholy and chaotic METAL made from the bowels of a south american CRAMULHÃO himself! The DEVIL FROM SOUTH AMERICA! I WARN YOU! Only the most daring listeners should be as bold to enter such indecent raw noise, which is not hindered by any technical knowledge, much less technical talent! 80s teenage satanoise and perverted punk metal, post-south american dictatorship madness! Enjoy, you unholy rawmetal freaks-fanatics!!!!!

Official bandcamp!

https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandca ... nd-insults

Morte_lenta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:41 pm 

you guys were talking about old stuff, and said that the atmosphere of that "age" cannot be recreated and bla bla,
well I don't believe it, and I can prove I'm right. listen to this band called "Velho", it's a black metal from rio de janeiro I believe,
these guys are awesome, I heard stories that there is a member or all members that live in a cave (bizarre), anyways, I lost their concert when they played here in my town, such a shame =,(.
and there are other bands that have a good vibe, there is a epic black metal band called Lupus Noctem, they are not raw, but they have energy!

what I'm trying to say is, the evil is not gone \m/

LrD1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:29 pm 

Morte_lenta

I registered just to post this.
Velho is probably the best thing that came out of Rio in the last decade.
It's not as raw as the bands that have been posted here, but it definitely reminds it, even if they have a more polished sound.
For those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vroW56sRdjA
Their last record, Decrepitude & Sabedoria is one of the best national BM records I've had the pleasure to listen.

And I also lost their last concert here in São Paulo. Hope they get back soon.

Aeosphorus
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:26 pm 

Velho is pretty fun, it's cool. But that's not the point. The point is that once something is out of the bottle, it is out. That sound is a byproduct of the mid 80s, and of that world. It is gone. That is true of any artistic movement. Even high profile art. You cannot "recreat" Cubism. You can make new Cubist-influenced paintings, but the freshness, the novelty, is gone, it was Picasso and others who started it and that's it. Time moves on, and it makes a difference. It can't be erased. What we have now are revivals. Reenacting, revival, cosplay, nostalgia, whatever you call it. It is fun, but that scene and that sound are a product of a time, an are, certain places and certain connections. You can't reproduced what has already been invented. What we have now is kind of nostalgia os someone else's past. It's ok. It is fun. But it is the same thing as rockabilly. ;)

Morte_lenta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:49 pm 

Aeosphorus,
I agree with almost everything you said, I know you can't recreate the artistic movement, but you can show the same enthusiasm, the same spirit, you don't have to mimic the 80s I don't think it's cool, you have to do you stuff, and with energy(and Hate) so it will probably be a good sound to listen to.
I think hate is the key to have a good bm sound, I write bm lyrics, and when everything is going fine, there is no inspiration, you can see it clearly, the first and second wave of bm, those guys were so full of hatred, of the church, of the government(here in brazil) and everything else, so it was expressed in their songs, if you listen to the "I.N.R.I" album or "De mysteriis dom sathanas", you can feel the hatred, it is exploding.
so that's what I think, the bands nowadays lack hate.

Acidgobblin
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:54 pm 

^You can talk about hate as much as you want, but I'm of the opinion that most BM groups with hateful lyrics are simply following the genre's themes, rather then expressing something individual and personal. Its a lyrical theme that many choose rather then some sort of personal ideology.

Perhaps passion is a better word.

Aeosphorus
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:00 pm 

I completely agree with Acid Gobblin. By the way, this is, by far, the thread with the greatest number of intelligent people I've seen here. You guys all rock hard with very good, intelligent comments. It's a high level we have here!

I think PASSION is a more general and precise word. Remember, these are kids, all copying other bands and copying make up, lyrics and artwork. I mean Bathory even copied song titles and took the name BATHORY from the Venom song! It was teenagers working within a genre. And what do kids have in common? A lot of ENERGY and PASSION, a lot of hormones flying through their bodies. And that translates in highly energetic, noisy music. Of course the frustrations of each place will play a part in making those teens trying to express their teenage discontent, and the dicatatorship in Brazil sucked! But, like Morte Lenta has said, new generations seem to put too much focus on the "darker" aspects of it, on the "hate", and I can tell you: THIS WASNT'T THERE at the time. There was no "hate". Look at that photo of Max playing in his bedroom with the guy from Pentagram. People were drinking and HAVING FUN. This "hate" interpretation of things only came later, when some ignorant kids who live in the countries with some of the best living standards in the world decided to take rock and roll themed music with lyrics about creatures that do not exist as a meaning in life, and started killing each other, other people, and themselves, in Norway, and then a new generation of kids grew up reading that and romanticizing it. But this is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCENE, one has to have that in mind!

Time moves forward my friends!!! Things change! Trying to hold on to a period of time is like trying to hold on to water, it doesn't work!

But of course, we can still have fun and play some great black, death, thrash..... PASSIONATE METAL! Like our brother Gobblin said above! Cheers!!!!!

Morte_lenta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 am 

good point there, passion is something to take a look on, passion for the music, and life.
Aeosphorus, as you said some shit stuff from the 80s and early 90s are overrated, like the church burning and these stuff, I think you have to fight in the field of ideas, when you start killing people and burning their places of worship, what makes you different than the christians who destroyed the past cultures?

Correcting myself, what makes your music interesting is the energy you put on, hate is something important, especially for bm but if there is no energy behind the music... it just gets boring. I personally likes a lot bands like emperor, that sings a lot about introspection, that's something I also like to do.

ibetitsgolden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:20 am 

I'm loving a lot of this. I've been blasting a lot of Sarcofago's INRI and Goatpenis, so this thread has taken the leg work out of where to go from there!

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:47 am 

Greyhaze has reissued some other Brazilian stuff too like The Mist, Mutilator, Holocausto, Exterminator, Sextrash, Expulser and the Warfare Noise compilation. Check 'em out!

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm 

I know little of the bands that made the scene itself, but fuck, Blasfemia is probably about as harsh as it got for 80's metal.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 pm 

Pestbesmittad wrote:
Greyhaze has reissued some other Brazilian stuff too like The Mist, Mutilator, Holocausto, Exterminator, Sextrash, Expulser and the Warfare Noise compilation. Check 'em out!

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2