Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm 

This is probably the funniest thread in the whole forum, and I am glad this circus band continues its endless backtracking! Here is the most finalest tour!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/manow ... r-in-2021/

Keep the amazing comments coming guys!

Yes it is.

Seelenloser_Stahlbolzen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 am 

"The tour will be bigger than ever, featuring orchestra and choir, Viking reenactors, stunning visuals and a powerful set list full of immortal classics."

Sooo... 150€ for a standard ticket then, without supporting acts and an hour late? That is, if they play at all...

In all honesty tho, it's maddening to me how low this band has fallen. They were always bordering on self parody, but up until "Triumph of Steel" they were able to compensate this with awesome music. They got gradually worse from this point on, but i think the straw that broke the camel's back was the bad reception of "Gods Of War". They cancelled the whole arc of viking concept albums that was planned, "Lord of Steel" was a terrible album cashing in on people's nostalgia, and their gigs became passionless, bloated auto-fellatio sessions. Almost like they lost all their artistic ambition somewhere around 2005-2007 and just stay together to milk their fanatic fanbase.
Sadly, i fell for that strategy myself and payed around 90€ for gig when i was still part of said fanbase. I had great fun at the time, but in retrospect it was middling at best, and i would never pay so much money for something like this again.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:55 pm 

We ever figure out if the pedophile was convicted or not?

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
We ever figure out if the pedophile was convicted or not?

Last I heard, no.

It was almost two years ago he was originally charged.

I guess maybe him not being convicted (yet) may be due to COVID-19, but I'm not 100% sure.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:25 pm 

A 3 to 4 year "Final Battle" tour, just to turn back around and now do an even more expensive 40 year anniversary tour. What a joke. This one will probably run 5 years and at the end they'll come out and say they're doing an even bigger 45 year anniversary tour.

I think that person a few pages back was right, we'll never see those promised Final Battle EP #2 and #3. Why would they release them now that the tour is over and they've moved onto another tour?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:12 am 

This is KISS level, and without the back catalogue to support an endless series of farewell tours :lol:

Someone is obviously broke, maybe storming off at Hellfest and putting on half-arsed shows the rest of the time doesn't pay the bills ?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:31 am 

No idea. I can't even fathom what Joey is planning here anymore. By this point literally half of this band's existence has been one gigantic parade of insanity.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 am 

Seelenloser_Stahlbolzen wrote:
featuring orchestra and choir, Viking reenactors, stunning visuals

Sounds like a decent distraction during the 173 minute hi hat solo.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:13 pm 

I dug up this old thread because Manowar had some big new announcements recently, and I think it'll be good to have them here so we can track if they actually do happen.

Here's the official press release:
Spoiler: show
MASSIVE NEWS!
Manowarriors! Let it be known that we will unleash our brand-new studio album upon the world in early 2025. While we cannot yet reveal the name, we can tell you that this album will crush the enemies of metal into the dust from whence they came and reunite Manowarriors from all over the world under the banner of True Metal - louder, harder, stronger, and faster than ever!
Beware, our onslaught will not stop there!
In response to your calls that we return to the stage for more live action, the album release will coincide with our next crusade, as we launch "The Blood Of Our Enemies" Tour 2025!
During this tour, we will be playing two unique setlists. On alternating nights, we will perform the entire "Hail To England" and "The Sign Of The Hammer" albums, respectively. Each evening will also showcase fan favorites from our entire career!
We are thrilled about performing your favorite songs again and cannot wait to see your fists raised in the air and hear your screams!
First shows have been confirmed for Germany and Luxembourg. More countries will follow!
FEB 07, 2025 – LUDWIGSBURG, GERMANY – MHP ARENA*
FEB 08, 2025 – FREIBURG, GERMANY – SICK-ARENA**
FEB 10, 2025 – ZWICKAU, GERMANY – STADTHALLE*
FEB 12, 2025 – REGENSBURG, GERMANY – DAS STADTWERK.DONAU-ARENA**
FEB 14, 2025 – BAMBERG, GERMANY – BROSE ARENA*
FEB 15, 2025 – MÜNCHEN, GERMANY – ZENITH**
FEB 17, 2025 – ESCH-SUR-ALZETTE, LUXEMBOURG – ROCKHAL*
FEB 19, 2025 – BRAUNSCHWEIG, GERMANY – VOLKSWAGEN HALLE**
FEB 21, 2025 – BERLIN, GERMANY – UFO*
FEB 22, 2025 – KIEL, GERMANY – WUNDERINO ARENA**
FEB 25, 2025 – MANNHEIM, GERMANY – SAP ARENA*
FEB 26, 2025 – RAVENSBURG, GERMANY – OBERSCHWABENHALLE**
FEB 28, 2025 – OLDENBURG, GERMANY – EWE ARENA*
MAR 01, 2025 – KREFELD, GERMANY – YAYLA ARENA**
* = Hail To England + Best Of / ** = Sign Of The Hammer + Best Of
Tickets for these shows will be available starting October 25, 2023, at 10:00 AM CET, exclusively at Eventim Germany, and will go on general sale on October 28, 2023, at 10:00 AM CET.
On other tour related news, we must inform you that unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts beyond our control, it will be necessary to reschedule the Joey De Maio “Words Of Power” Spoken Word Tour 2023. New dates will be announced in due time. In the meantime, all tickets purchased for the Spoken Word Tour will be fully refunded. Please keep an eye out for an email from your ticketing company, as it will provide details on the refund process. Fans with an Ultimate Fan Experience Upgrade will be contacted by The Kingdom Of Steel for a full refund. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
We also have more news from the studio!
Today, as we celebrate the 39th year since "Sign Of The Hammer" was unleashed upon the world, we are excited to announce that in honor of its 40th anniversary next year, we will revisit its origins and re-record the entire album. It will be reborn as "The Sign Of The Hammer 2024"! What you will receive is the brutality from the first release, blended with the inspiration you've provided us over the years and enhanced by the latest technology. "The Sign Of The Hammer 2024" will blast the ground and melt your faces more intensely and louder than ever, delivering maximum metal!
Additionally, we are pleased to announce that in just a few days our new online stores will open under a new domain (www.manowarmerch.com), offering you never-before-seen items and special deals. The stores will ship from Germany and from the U.S. respectively. Stay tuned!
Manowarriors, new chapters in our saga are on the horizon, and together with you, our Army of Immortals, we will march towards even grander triumphs!
Hail and Kill!
MANOWAR

1. A new album is coming out in early 2025. You read that right. Not early 2024... early 2025.
2. In 2024 they're going to release a re-recording of the album Sign of the Hammer.
3. Another tour is planned for Germany only in early 2025 where they'll alternate playing the albums Hail to England and Sign of the Hammer in their entirety.

For a band that makes a habit of announcing plans that never actually happen, it's comical they're claiming a new album is going to come out well over a year from now. Not surprisingly, nothing is mentioned about The Final Battle EP parts 2 and 3 because they've abandoned that idea because they're not breaking up. It also remains to be seen whether or not this new 2025 studio album is the "Revenge of Odysseus" album Joey said they were working on for the last several years. I have a feeling that's been abandoned also because Joey stopped talking about once the narrator Kostas Kazakos passed away. I also think that when Michael Angelo Batio joined the band that made Joey re-evaluate what they were working on.

reimdaase
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm 

Evoken wrote:
I dug up this old thread because Manowar had some big new announcements recently, and I think it'll be good to have them here so we can track if they actually do happen.

Here's the official press release:
Spoiler: show
MASSIVE NEWS!
Manowarriors! Let it be known that we will unleash our brand-new studio album upon the world in early 2025. While we cannot yet reveal the name, we can tell you that this album will crush the enemies of metal into the dust from whence they came and reunite Manowarriors from all over the world under the banner of True Metal - louder, harder, stronger, and faster than ever!
Beware, our onslaught will not stop there!
In response to your calls that we return to the stage for more live action, the album release will coincide with our next crusade, as we launch "The Blood Of Our Enemies" Tour 2025!
During this tour, we will be playing two unique setlists. On alternating nights, we will perform the entire "Hail To England" and "The Sign Of The Hammer" albums, respectively. Each evening will also showcase fan favorites from our entire career!
We are thrilled about performing your favorite songs again and cannot wait to see your fists raised in the air and hear your screams!
First shows have been confirmed for Germany and Luxembourg. More countries will follow!
FEB 07, 2025 – LUDWIGSBURG, GERMANY – MHP ARENA*
FEB 08, 2025 – FREIBURG, GERMANY – SICK-ARENA**
FEB 10, 2025 – ZWICKAU, GERMANY – STADTHALLE*
FEB 12, 2025 – REGENSBURG, GERMANY – DAS STADTWERK.DONAU-ARENA**
FEB 14, 2025 – BAMBERG, GERMANY – BROSE ARENA*
FEB 15, 2025 – MÜNCHEN, GERMANY – ZENITH**
FEB 17, 2025 – ESCH-SUR-ALZETTE, LUXEMBOURG – ROCKHAL*
FEB 19, 2025 – BRAUNSCHWEIG, GERMANY – VOLKSWAGEN HALLE**
FEB 21, 2025 – BERLIN, GERMANY – UFO*
FEB 22, 2025 – KIEL, GERMANY – WUNDERINO ARENA**
FEB 25, 2025 – MANNHEIM, GERMANY – SAP ARENA*
FEB 26, 2025 – RAVENSBURG, GERMANY – OBERSCHWABENHALLE**
FEB 28, 2025 – OLDENBURG, GERMANY – EWE ARENA*
MAR 01, 2025 – KREFELD, GERMANY – YAYLA ARENA**
* = Hail To England + Best Of / ** = Sign Of The Hammer + Best Of
Tickets for these shows will be available starting October 25, 2023, at 10:00 AM CET, exclusively at Eventim Germany, and will go on general sale on October 28, 2023, at 10:00 AM CET.
On other tour related news, we must inform you that unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts beyond our control, it will be necessary to reschedule the Joey De Maio “Words Of Power” Spoken Word Tour 2023. New dates will be announced in due time. In the meantime, all tickets purchased for the Spoken Word Tour will be fully refunded. Please keep an eye out for an email from your ticketing company, as it will provide details on the refund process. Fans with an Ultimate Fan Experience Upgrade will be contacted by The Kingdom Of Steel for a full refund. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
We also have more news from the studio!
Today, as we celebrate the 39th year since "Sign Of The Hammer" was unleashed upon the world, we are excited to announce that in honor of its 40th anniversary next year, we will revisit its origins and re-record the entire album. It will be reborn as "The Sign Of The Hammer 2024"! What you will receive is the brutality from the first release, blended with the inspiration you've provided us over the years and enhanced by the latest technology. "The Sign Of The Hammer 2024" will blast the ground and melt your faces more intensely and louder than ever, delivering maximum metal!
Additionally, we are pleased to announce that in just a few days our new online stores will open under a new domain (www.manowarmerch.com), offering you never-before-seen items and special deals. The stores will ship from Germany and from the U.S. respectively. Stay tuned!
Manowarriors, new chapters in our saga are on the horizon, and together with you, our Army of Immortals, we will march towards even grander triumphs!
Hail and Kill!
MANOWAR

1. A new album is coming out in early 2025. You read that right. Not early 2024... early 2025.
2. In 2024 they're going to release a re-recording of the album Sign of the Hammer.
3. Another tour is planned for Germany only in early 2025 where they'll alternate playing the albums Hail to England and Sign of the Hammer in their entirety.

For a band that makes a habit of announcing plans that never actually happen, it's comical they're claiming a new album is going to come out well over a year from now. Not surprisingly, nothing is mentioned about The Final Battle EP parts 2 and 3 because they've abandoned that idea because they're not breaking up. It also remains to be seen whether or not this new 2025 studio album is the "Revenge of Odysseus" album Joey said they were working on for the last several years. I have a feeling that's been abandoned also because Joey stopped talking about once the narrator Kostas Kazakos passed away. I also think that when Michael Angelo Batio joined the band that made Joey re-evaluate what they were working on.

Excited for the new announcements, but i don't understand why they re-record all their old albums, when the new versions sound worse than the originals.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:12 pm 

Damn it, why they gotta drag Sign of the Hammer into this farce?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:26 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Damn it, why they gotta drag Sign of the Hammer into this farce?

LOL. Indeed.
They remixed "Hail To England" and "Into Glory Ride", as opposed to re-recording them.
Both sound amazing and I'd much prefer a remix of "Hammer" over a re-recording but assume they dont have access to the original recordings, or the rights to them.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:23 pm 

They canned Revenge of Odysseus, because the Greek voice actor they hired died. One thing Joey has form with is keeping his word when discussing cancelled projects.

On the subject of re-recording albums, I quite enjoyed the remastered Into Glory Ride and Hail to England. If Hammer gets this treatment, I'll be cool with it. It doesn't need the Battle Hymns or Kings of Metal style complete re-recording.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:39 am 

Oh my god, another re-recording. As much as Manowar announcements don't come to fruition, you KNOW that will absolutely happen since no one asked for it.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:50 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
About fucking time!

I am a fan, of course, but a very discriminating one when it comes to Manowar. Can you imagine what a thrill it would have been if we had only the first six Mnaowar albums and then had them reunite in 2002 to make "Warriors Of The World" and then disband again because the two that followed make me die.
Kinda like an Omen thing (fingers crossed tight for Hammer Damage) but with a lot of overblown tours in between obviously.

I agree with you, that would have been the ideal scenario. I think the only song I like outside of those is "Sleipnir" (the one good song off Gods of War!) but even then, it's nowhere near the top of my list.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:27 pm 

Yeah...instead we're back once again to slews of announcements of shit that may never materialize. Why doesn't Joey just write down his tentative plans secretly somewhere....and keep them to himself, like a normal human being??

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:04 pm 

Ugh. Fuck the re-recording. Just remix Sign Of The Hammer like you did with Into Glory Ride (which sounds pretty damn good, aside from a little too much studio talking.)

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Rico McPato
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:32 pm 

I am not the biggest Manowar fan...I think that their first 4 albums are really good and unique (especially Hail to England and Sign of the Hammer) and their first two Atlantic albums are entertaining, eventhough I have a love-hate relationship with stuff like Blow Your Speakers or Kings of Metal. I have not really heard a lot of what they did after The Triumph of Steel.
However, I was really impressed when I saw them live some weeks ago in Chile. Pretty good and varied setlist (although of course they played nothing of my two favorite albums), and eventhough I was not really familiar with a large chunk of the material I had a great time. Adams was fantastic, even more considering his age, and the band sounded tight and focused. There was a brief bass-guitar solo and DeMaio only gave (thankfully) very short speech, so it was much more about the music and songs than I expected.

I had never understood the magnificence of Battle Hymm until I saw it live with the whole crowd chanting along. Very epic indeed. Overall a very solid concert, that left me with a new appreciation for them. The only incident was that they blew up the venue´s sound system, - during the third song (Fighting the World). The concert stopped for almost 25 minutes, and given their reputation I was afraid they would not come back, but they fixed the issue and they returned to stage, actually starting at the same point in FTW where the sound had dropped.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:51 am 

Rico McPato wrote:
The only incident was that they blew up the venue´s sound system, - during the third song (Fighting the World). The concert stopped for almost 25 minutes, and given their reputation I was afraid they would not come back, but they fixed the issue and they returned to stage, actually starting at the same point in FTW where the sound had dropped.

They blew their speakers... For rock and roll.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am 

I need to see Manowar before I die or they do, otherwise I live in poseurdom forever. :(

Rico McPato
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:08 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Rico McPato wrote:
The only incident was that they blew up the venue´s sound system, - during the third song (Fighting the World). The concert stopped for almost 25 minutes, and given their reputation I was afraid they would not come back, but they fixed the issue and they returned to stage, actually starting at the same point in FTW where the sound had dropped.

They blew their speakers... For rock and roll.

Yes! They didn"t play it though
They did play Kings of Metal, "when we're in town speakers explode", just before the incident, so...
Luckily there was no killing, raping, stabbing or burning after Hail and Kill

wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:23 pm 

I don't get the hate for Gods of War, unless you're just deadset against the entire concept of what ManOwaR is and will always be: cheesy machoman fantasy metal.

Yeah GOW has too many self-indulgent interludes, which can easily be skipped, but the actual songs on that CD are the best and most consistent batch that ManOwaR's made since Ross The Boss left:

King of Kings
Sleipnir
Loki God of Fire
Blood Brothers
Sons of Odin
Gods of War
Odin
Hymn of the Immortal Warrior
Die For Metal

You have to go all the way back to Into Glory Ride to find another ManOwaR album with that many good-to-great tracks.

But they've always sounded better live than in the studio, so I usually just listen to those songs in various live forms, nowadays.

I also liked "Sword of the Highlands" and "You Shall Die Before I Die" from The Final Battle EP, so I still think ManOwaR has some songwriting magic left in them, if they'd just quit being lazy cashgrabbers and make some new music instead of rehashing all this old stuff.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:51 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
They canned Revenge of Odysseus, because the Greek voice actor they hired died. One thing Joey has form with is keeping his word when discussing cancelled projects.

It's a pity it got canned, but I suspect the result so far wasn't living up to expectation and the actor's death was the final kick to cancel it altogether.
Quote:
Well, while we were planning this big epic about Odysseus, the gentleman who spoke the narration as Odysseus passed away. So now we can't honor him with this huge work, because he's gone; he wouldn't be able to perform it live. So now we are going to condense that into a smaller piece that will, of course, this great Greek story and honor the life of Kostas Kazakos; he was the greatest actor in Greece. So that made us kind of shift gears. So now we're working on songs that are what people would normally expect. Instead of some big, epic, long three-, four-hour piece, now we're gonna be working on songs that I think people would expect from MANOWAR — ass-kicking stuff that will fry the hair on your balls, basically.

Source

There was also the fabled "Hammer of the Gods" which was supposed to be the full-length follow-up to Thunder in the Sky (ep) and part of the Asgard Saga in collaboration with Hans Hohlbein. It was thrown out when Hamzik came back into the band.

I got to see Manowar for the first time earlier this year and will go to see them again in 2025. Great show, even for their age (Adams is 71, DeMaio is 69).

Rico McPato
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:41 pm 

I wonder if they really worked on all these abandoned projects and had actual songs to can or if it is just cheap talk

Same with King Diamond, he's been working on The Institute for ages and so far we only have one song released almost 4 years ago. That's one new song in 16 years. It's even worse with Mercyful Fate, one new song in 24 years, but he has talked about a new album eventually coming out "soon-ish".

SlipKnoT_SOAD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:46 pm 

finally

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:46 pm 

One of those iceberg videos about Manowar would be the funniest damn thing

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:33 pm 

The reality is, with that Greek project (Odyssus), that Manowar take THAT long to actually get around to doing anything in the studio that their guest musicians actually die of old age in the process.

That's insanity.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:27 pm 

gabber wrote:
The reality is, with that Greek project (Odyssus), that Manowar take THAT long to actually get around to doing anything in the studio that their guest musicians actually die of old age in the process.

That's insanity.

It's just Manowar being metal! manowar kills!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:31 pm 

Rico McPato wrote:
Same with King Diamond, he's been working on The Institute for ages and so far we only have one song released almost 4 years ago. That's one new song in 16 years. It's even worse with Mercyful Fate, one new song in 24 years, but he has talked about a new album eventually coming out "soon-ish".

Don't forget that MF/KD history of DVD that was supposed to come out in the 00s only to be quietly shelved.

I have to wonder if there's a lot of shady shit with King that we don't hear about. The man hasn't been able to keep a lineup aside from Andy.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:31 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
The man hasn't been able to keep a lineup aside from Andy.

Matt Thomson and Mike Wead have been in the band for 23 years. Pontus for almost 10.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:33 pm 

Other bands play, Manowar do jack fucking shit!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:10 pm 

"necessary to reschedule the Joey De Maio “Words Of Power” Spoken Word Tour 2023"

The WHAT. :scratch:

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:13 am 

many have probably said it before me but I just wanted to state the blatantly obvious,
as long as Manowar and Ross "The Boss" Friedman don't realize they are mediocre without eachother, albums will just never get good or even great again.
I know Ross' recent albums are decent/slightly amuzing and Manowar did actually manage one decent album right after Ross left but still...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10