Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:56 pm 

The problem there is that he has aged very poorly so his perfect hair clashes with his withered, ugly-ass face. Unfortunately for him I don't think a trip to the salon can fix that.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:02 am 

So I tried the last two Manowar albums I needed to cross off my list, The Lord of Steel and Louder Than Hell. The Lord of Steel was ok. The sound quality was awful, and normally I would chalk that up to a bad mp3 rip, but apparently the sound quality on the actual release is terrible. When I was listening, I assumed I was listening to guitar tone not to inappropriate for doom metal. It actually reminded me of Victor Griffin's tone on Pentagram's 2014 album Curious Volume. Then I read a couple reviews, and apparently that's DeMaio's bass. :lol: Well, even if it is the bass completely masking the guitar, it's a much better tone to do it with, than say, the bass tone on Hail to England. The songs on The Lord of Steel I often liked somewhat but were unable to hold my interest for their whole durations.

Louder Than Hell, I listened to the first three tracks and decided it sucks. I then listened to Today is a Good Day to Die, since it was a 9 minute instrumental, so I figured it would probably be significantly different than the rest of the album. It was, but it was merely ok.

Albums I have and like a lot: Battle Hymns, Hail to England, Sign of the Hammer, Kings of Metal, The Triumph of Steel

Albums I have and I like but I don't think are top-tier Manowar albums: Into Glory Ride, Fighting the World

Albums I don't have, but listened to and want to buy: Warriors of the World, Gods of War

Albums I don't have, have listened to or attempted to listened to, and do not want: Louder Than Hell, The Lord of Steel

Albums I'm not even going to bother with: The re-recordings.

All in all, not a bad back catalogue, I think. I think it would be cool if Joey DeMaio continued on in a band playing keys in a similar direction of the Gods of War album. He can play bass if he wants, too.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:48 pm 

So do we get one more album at least before this happens?

Because, in the latest chapter in the litany of lies about Manowar (Joey's own quotes apparently), there was to be an album early 2016 that they had been working on.

Or is it the same as that Author/Hammer Of The Gods/Asgard Saga rubbish - a load of old bollocks?

They have certainly made some odd statements (announcing albums that take three years to come out) and made some odd moves (rerecording stuff, downgrading the production on TLOS) the last few years...

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:30 pm 

I read in an interview that joey wanted to have a holographic orson welles to show up during the narrations and was too expensive and the idea was of course dropped... I honestly think that the dude has a great ambition and that is cool but sometimes loses his ground with reality, i mean come on, fucking what? He could have the budget of a movie like LotR and burn it all in just one show.

As a fan, I have never given a single fuck about those declarations, it's obviously joey being delirious. A videogame, novels and all that? Just be a normal band and release an album dude, you can't believe that he was going to pull off all that. With what money? I bet that even Metallica could not do it.

There is not a videogame of virtual xi? No one remembers it...

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:00 pm 

Maybe that's why they charge $30 for a fucking shirt. Which is $5 more than Priest, mind you.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:05 pm 

raumr wrote:
I only listened through their discography because someone told me that Bathory copied the epic drumming style from Manowar.

That`s the exact same reason I listened to them, wow. I went in hoping they would sound a bit like Bathory. Songs like "Mountains" kinda sound a little bit like Bathory I guess.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:38 pm 

theposega wrote:
Maybe that's why they charge $30 for a fucking shirt. Which is $5 more than Priest, mind you.

I had heard that at the ridiculously high ticket price shows the shirts were like $5 or $10 or something stupidly cheap, to make up for the barrel-bending ticket prices I'd assume.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 am 

Kinda bummed, I thought at some point I'd find myself in Europe at the same time they were touring and I could see them; I never really thought they'd break up. I'm pretty sure they'd still put on a great live show too. Plus it's one of the few bands me and the wife agree on.. Oh well. For all their faults Battle Hymns was ridiculously good and I thought they had some pretty great moments right up to Warriors of the World, which had a few real bangers.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Aeosphorus
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:35 am 

Completely agree with Doom's above list. Manowar has got some classic 80s tracks which are just masterpieces of metal. The first album is a monster in itself, combining some Purple rock/metal with their own brand of epicness, and they followed the decade with great tracks in all their albums! I stopped following them after THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL, which was good, but with too many film-soundtrack moments, and at the time I wanted a full on music album. Still, a good album though!

I guess they are getting tired. Eric Adams is over 60 years old. You can understand people wanting to take a break of a life of touring. It is a stressful life, living out of suitcases and into cabs and soundchecks and hotels and airports all the time. I understand that after a while, decades of that, you just get tired of it.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:10 am 

I'd swap Into Glory Ride with Kings of Metal in that list discussion above. Kings of Metal to me is a total follow on from the catchy metal of Fighting the World. Into Glory Ride on the other hand, is the first of 3 records which in my view are the seminal Manowar records. They really did push boundaries back in those days, and no one else sounded like them at the time. Battle Hymns is a great record, doesn't reflect their sound in my view, in the same way that Rocka Rolla does nothing to reflect the Judas Priest sound.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:30 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I'd swap Into Glory Ride with Kings of Metal in that list discussion above. Kings of Metal to me is a total follow on from the catchy metal of Fighting the World. Into Glory Ride on the other hand, is the first of 3 records which in my view are the seminal Manowar records. They really did push boundaries back in those days, and no one else sounded like them at the time. Battle Hymns is a great record, doesn't reflect their sound in my view, in the same way that Rocka Rolla does nothing to reflect the Judas Priest sound.

Most of the songs on Battle Hymns I'd agree they don't represent Manowar's sound, but Dark Avenger and the title track represent all that Manowar would become, imo.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:13 am 

Oh yeah, definitely. You could make an argument for the William Tell overture too. But yeah, I was referring to the rock tracks on the first side of the record. I really could have worded that better.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Aeosphorus
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:17 am 

Some of my favorite 80s tracks: Metal Daze, Blow Your Speakers, Fighting the World, Carry On, Warlord. Classics!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:11 am 

I'm more into their early epic songs. Dark Avenger, Battlehymn, almost the whole IGR, Bridge of Death, Thor, Mountains... Actually there is not much heavy metal, that can top them. Dark Avenger used to be my fave metal song. Even the lyrics were great, which can not be said of their later output.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:01 am 

You know, I've always called Manowar a bunch of clowns, but I'm not sure if they know that or their heads are so far up their asses that they actually believe they're the "metal gods" or whatever the fuck they call themselves.

Last edited by Master_Of_Thrash on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:04 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Its sad when a legendary band call its quits but they havent anything interesting to offer and their concerts were boring with those long speakings. Back in the 80s they were much more interesting though.

Just like WWE. In fact Manowar should have gone into pro-wrestling a long time ago.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:24 pm 

Now where will I go to get my "fucking cock sucked"?

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:27 pm 

I love "Louder than Hell" it was my pre-Burning Crusade grinding soundtrack.
Everything before and after is just pointless. Autopsy is a much more fulfilling band, even with their weaker material.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:54 pm 

Everbody retires at some point. I hope true Manowarriors will not be too upset.

Will have to listen to some of these older albums that were mentioned later. Number 1 is clearly awesome.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:13 am 

Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good! Haven't seen a Manowar appreciation thread in ages . I love Louder than Hell, and Warriors of the world is not too bad either, then it all went downhill. Obviously Virgin Steele is a better band.

The thing about Manowar is that they are a relic from the past, one of the bands That got me into metal and I can't help but feel sentimental. When metal was hard to be found, before the internet, they were there to deliver the epic and true sound. You did your shopping at a record store and basically to get your fix there were few bands mainstream enough to find their albums while true enough to play it heavy and loud. What I am saying is that Internet killed Manowar.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am 

I'm pretty sure Manowar killed Manowar, actually.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:48 am 

Were they still around?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:16 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'm pretty sure Manowar killed Manowar, actually.

ManOwaR killed Manowar, unfortunately.

Or maybe it was ManowaR?

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:11 am 

Zerberus wrote:
What will become of heavy metal without Manowar to dispose of the posers and guard the throne?

We still have Varg, he will kill posers and will upload (surely false) stories about it on YouTube, just as he did with Euronymous.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:32 am 

Quote:
I honestly think that the dude has a great ambition and that is cool but sometimes loses his ground with reality, i mean come on, fucking what? He could have the budget of a movie like LotR and burn it all in just one show.

It's got to be frustrating for the other members. The band's on a scale where they should be raking in cash (didn't the second Magic Circle Festival have 20k people attending at like $80-100 euros a head?). But their stage show is so expensive that basically every dollar gets rammed back into MCM. Someone should cut Joey's credit card.

I wonder if Eric Adams is still working a construction job to survive.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 am 

Despite not having put out any good albums for a long time, the world will be a blander place without Manowar stomping around.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:48 am 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
Zerberus wrote:
What will become of heavy metal without Manowar to dispose of the posers and guard the throne?

We still have Varg, he will kill posers and will upload (surely false) stories about it on YouTube, just as he did with Euronymous.

If he tries, the ghost of Paul Baloff will appear and brain him by forcibly banging his head into various hard objects until his skull cracks.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:08 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Despite not having put out any good albums for a long time, the world will be a blander place without Manowar stomping around.

Yeah, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness thinking of a world without Manowar. That said you've still got Ross the Boss playing Manowar classics (let's be honest, his time in Manowar is the only stuff that matters) and sounding better than they do nowadays. I met Ross recently and he said that this new band basically caused Manowar to split up :lol:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:17 pm 

Looks like a rapper but his style of rapping is very unusual.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:40 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Looks like a rapper but his style of rapping is very unusual.

Indeed. Credit where its due he sounds like Eric Adams.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:10 pm 

Don't really think so in the mid range, but the falsettos sound pretty damn identical.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:04 pm 

How about Eric Adams joins Ross' band?

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:19 pm 

Re: Ross the Boss, check out his other new band Death Dealer. It has Sean Peck of Cage fame on vocals.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 am 

Acrobat wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Yeah, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness thinking of a world without Manowar. That said you've still got Ross the Boss playing Manowar classics (let's be honest, his time in Manowar is the only stuff that matters) and sounding better than they do nowadays. I met Ross recently and he said that this new band basically caused Manowar to split up :lol:

That singer fucking nailed that ending :headbang:

But FUCK does he look bored and out of place :???:

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:15 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
That singer fucking nailed that ending :headbang:

But FUCK does he look bored and out of place :???:

Double agreed. But to be fair, he looks very young and these are huge shoes to fill. I've checked a bunch of other videos (Ross is apparently taking his turn milking that cow now(*) ^^) and as far as the singer's attitude and projected energy, it varies. But in terms of performance quality, it's consistently great.

Check that one for instance:

Or this one (pay no mind to the bassist's failed intro - the rest makes up for it):

Yeah, he has short hair and dresses like a 90s hip-hop/nu-metal douchebag, but I think he's clearly into that whole epic metal stuff. Plus, he sings like a beast. =)

(*) Milking that cow like a Boss?
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ross-the- ... d387b.html

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:52 pm 

This is now more relevant than ever.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:17 pm 

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I feel it's appropriate. According to a new interview with Joey, Manowar are NOT breaking up and he claims he never said they would.

Q: Let's talk about "final." Are these upcoming summer shows really going to be the last MANOWAR shows ever?

Joey: "Okay, let me clarify something. We never announced the end of MANOWAR; we didn't even plan to never tour again. There are so many places that we constantly get fan requests from… We said it's time for a break. So that we can work on other projects for our fans: For example, I'll be traveling with my spoken-word tour this winter where I'll be talking about the history of the band, rare photos and video included. I am working on a metal opera (think 'We Will Rock You', but MANOWAR style). And, of course, we'll continue with Part II and III of our 'The Final Battle' trilogy. But I'll be honest: With the overwhelming feedback from this tour, and fans literally begging us to continue it is really hard to not think of new touring. We've had fans tell us that the thought of us retiring or not touring anymore takes the joy out of their lives. Having such an impact is an honor and a responsibility that we take seriously."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joey-demaio-we-never-announced-the-end-of-manowar/

Now let's go back to what he originally said in 2016:

Message To All Manowarriors - Nachricht an alle Manowarrior
The Gods And Kings Tour was a groundbreaking moment in our career. The stage, sound, video and you, our fans, were magnificent!
Coming off such an amazing tour it was clear that the next time we must go even bigger and beyond anything we have ever done; something that will fulfill every Manowarrior’s dreams. Then that will be the ultimate moment to say Thank You and farewell!
The Final Battle will begin in Germany and take us all over the world to say goodbye to all of you.
If you know Metal
you know MANOWAR.
If you know MANOWAR
you know Metal!
Those who join this tour will be left with an eternal memory; having witnessed the band that has dedicated their blood, hearts, souls and every moment of their career to True Heavy Metal.
We are calling all Manowarriors to prepare yourselves now and to join us for The Final Battle!”
MANOWAR
‪#‎TheFinalBattle‬

I'm pretty sure if you write things like "Thank you and farewell!", "say goodbye to all of you", and call the tour the Final Battle, it makes people think the band is splitting up after the tour. C'mon Joey...

Also this quote from an interview with Eric Adams in 2017:
The 63-year-old singer admitted that it was "kind of a Catch-22 thing" knowing that he would never perform with MANOWAR again. "I'm gonna miss the big stage — of course I am — but all good things have to come to an end at some point," he said.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/eric-adams-on-manowars-farewell-tour-all-good-things-have-to-come-to-an-end-at-some-point/

The conclusion is they DID say they were breaking up. The question is, did they change their minds from 2016 to now, or was this all planned from the start? Farewell tours typically generate more interest and income than a regular tour, and the band could have used this ploy to their advantage if they had no real intention of breaking up the band once the tour ended. Lots of bands have done it before, but never while the final tour is still going on 3-4 years later. It just reeks of dishonesty when they won't even admit they did say they were breaking up.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:38 pm 

Maybe a controversial statement, but I've had no doubt in my mind that Joey has some sort of mental illness or defect going on there. Is it the booze? Do they take drugs? i don't know - maybe it's just his own ego.

The Gods of War album was meant to be the start of a series of concept albums, each focused on a Norse mythological god. In the end, we got Thunder In The Sky EP (which I actually think is a solid release), and then apparently he binned a nearly completed album when they changed drummer and they came out with Lord Of Steel. Which, lets face it, was not a good album.

The Asgard Saga - huge project tied in with the follow up to Gods Of War. Had it's own website, had it's own author collaboration. Was meant to be a huge project. And then it just disappeared never to be heard from again.

He says 'what the fans want' all the time - there have been 5 studio albums since Kings Of Metal which was around 1988 (31 years). The 'fans want' new music!
On top of that, the rather odd situation with Rhapsody and with Majesty with the name changes and all that went on. Court cases and some really nasty disputes.

Joey is clearly an asshole. He rambles on about a lot of stuff that just doesn't add up. The quotes in the comment above me are proof of that. He did say it was goodbye and farewell, now he's saying it's not. In a few months he will be saying something else again.

Take every single thing he says with a grain of salt. They're the ramblings of a madman.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:25 am 

Manowar were about as Metal as it gets, with all the good and the bad and the outright cheese that comes with it.

For me, there was too much emphasis on the "outright cheese" to really get too teary eyed about the end of this band, but yet I cant help but feel a little bit of "Geez I'm getting old, this is the end of an era" kind of thing about it. So in other words, while I was never a big fan of Manowar, I at least appreciated them for what they were. Even though I didn't listen to them very often.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:50 am 

I had my doubts about this tour being the last one, and behold! As long as they are making music, there’s a chance they’ll release something good. They did it on TitS, and even Lord of Steel had some gold ideas (muddied down by awful sound).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next