Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:32 am 

Manowar just issued this message on Facebook.

Quote:
Message To All Manowarriors - Nachricht an alle Manowarrior
The Gods And Kings Tour was a groundbreaking moment in our career. The stage, sound, video and you, our fans, were magnificent!
Coming off such an amazing tour it was clear that the next time we must go even bigger and beyond anything we have ever done; something that will fulfill every Manowarrior’s dreams. Then that will be the ultimate moment to say Thank You and farewell!
The Final Battle will begin in Germany and take us all over the world to say goodbye to all of you.
If you know Metal
you know MANOWAR.
If you know MANOWAR
you know Metal!
Those who join this tour will be left with an eternal memory; having witnessed the band that has dedicated their blood, hearts, souls and every moment of their career to True Heavy Metal.
We are calling all Manowarriors to prepare yourselves now and to join us for The Final Battle!”
MANOWAR
‪#‎TheFinalBattle‬

Are they truly calling it quits? What will become of heavy metal without Manowar to dispose of the posers and guard the throne?

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:46 am 

Still not enough of a reason for them to ever come to Australia.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:48 am 

It certainly seems that way. You'd think they're mimicking Iron Maiden's The Final Frontier joke with "The Final Battle," but the message explicitly says that this is "goodbye." Very uncharacteristic of Manowar. I just never imagined them breaking up, especially while bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are still out there touring. I wonder if a final album will follow suit.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 am 

Manowar need to travel back in time and break up earlier.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:09 am 

You know, I woke up today late for work, with about a buck and some change to my name with less than 1/8th tank of gas in my car and two days to go until payday. Then I heard Manowar was going to disband. All in all it's been a good day.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:12 am 

The final battle of out of touch hack musicians with beer guts waving plastic swords. Truly it will be something to behold.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:29 am 

Yeh not a huge loss, can't say i've ever liked anything past Sign Of the Hammer

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 am 

They're still active?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:47 am 

Hey, Manowar showing some self-awareness and restraint. Amazing. I'm impressed! And although I can sort of relate to the disparaging comments in this thread, I wish them well and I bet they really will pull out all the stops for this final tour and make it a big and memorable event. I saw them live back in 2003 or something and even though they'd already started blowing hard in the studio by then I have no hesitation saying the show was fucking great, and they probably could still deliver today if they really gave it all they've got for one last time.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:57 am 

they charged 75 bucks last time they came though town a couple years back. I'm sure this will be even more expensive. Thankfully Manowar is not on my bucket list.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 am 

Oh no! Metal will never be the same again without the Kings of Metal! Good riddance, Man-O-War, but no one really cares.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:02 am 

On the one hand i feel bad for Adams for wasting his talent on this band, but on the other hand he was a member of a successful band.
They also didn't create many songs in these 37 years for dedicating their blood, hearts, souls and every moment of their career to True Heavy Metal, but i assume they did many concerts.

Well, you can quit with over 60 years.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:05 am 

I like Hail to England. That is about it.

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:16 am 

oh no what will we ever do without them(kappa)

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:23 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Manowar need to travel back in time and break up earlier.

This x1000. They should have stopped at least twenty years ago. Louder Than Hell was pretty schlock, but it's better than the rerecorded garbage they've been pumping out for the last decade.

EDIT: I wonder how many Hell on Earth: Final World Tour volumes will be unleashed during this... I'm guessing at least four DVDs and probably four or five live albums. Maybe more. I envision a live album / DVD for each full length they have.

Last edited by TheStormIRide on Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 am 

They've been at the end of their rope for a while. Once they started re-recording old albums the facade was up.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:59 am 

I'm disappointed to read all the hate about them here.

Like pretty much every metal band, their best work was in the 80s. So what?

Their best songs are light years better than most everything that gets praised on this forum.

I'd like to see them once before they fold but they need to come close and charge less than $60 a ticket.

As others said, why are they folding so soon when older bands are still going?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Every metal band who released decent shit in the 80s and plummeted drastically since gets the same treatment here, calm down.

Quote:
As others said, why are they folding so soon when older bands are still going?

Because they are, ahem, WIMPS AND POSERS and it's their time to finally GTFO the hall. :wink:

Spoiler: show

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:20 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Their best songs are light years better than most everything that gets praised on this forum.

No, they really aren't.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:23 pm 

I really wish we still had someone on the forums like that "every time a Manowar song comes on I automatically sing along at the top of my voice regardless of where I am or who I'm with" guy just to see the massive amount of splooging this announcement would create.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:32 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
charge less than $60 a ticket.

Are you kidding me? If this is truly a farewell tour and they really go all out with the stage production I can't picture them charging less than $150.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:33 pm 

Ι've written this elsewhere when Manowar was ridiculed:

Yes, Manowar's style and image is worth all the ridicule in the world. Yes, Joey DeMaio's words of wisdom is the best comedy ever. Yes, they are a pale shadow of theselves after 1992. Yes, they have become the ultimate posers. Yes, they are re-recording albums that should never be tampered with. Yes, they are a true metal joke. And I can go on like this for quite sometime and I have in the past. Especially after their headling concert in Greece, where there was more posing than playing.

However.

Manowar's first four plus three albums (OK, Maybe Fighting the World has some serious filler issues), and in particular the triad Into Glory Ride, Hail to England and Sign of the Hammer are among the finest, most epic metal albums ever recorded. They were blessed with one of the strongest and most chilling voices ever, utilized in such incredibly majestic songs like Secret of Steel or Mountains (seriously, listen to them) or Defender, or Blood of my Enemies, Bridge of Death, Each Dawn I Die, Guyana, and there's more.

Seriously, the songwriting level, their epic atmosphere and the sheer POWER of their metal was and remains unparalleled. I know that in the US they were never really big but in Europe Manowar is easily and unequivocally counted among the GREATS. Quorthon never openly admitted this (in fact he was playing stupid about it) but Manowar's music played a huge part in him turning from the proto-black/death thing he was doing to the epic Viking metal stuff he did (his best work too if you ask me).

Metal has been epic before Manowar. But it reached its peak with them. I make fun of them all the time because, well, you know why, but I BOW DOWN TO THEIR MUSIC LEGACY.

One of the best songs in the history of metal

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:41 pm 

About fucking time!

I am a fan, of course, but a very discriminating one when it comes to Manowar. Can you imagine what a thrill it would have been if we had only the first six Mnaowar albums and then had them reunite in 2002 to make "Warriors Of The World" and then disband again because the two that followed make me die.
Kinda like an Omen thing (fingers crossed tight for Hammer Damage) but with a lot of overblown tours in between obviously.

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Manilla Road's best work was in the '80's as well but they've managed to build a respectable body of work since then. Manowar was devastatingly unnecessary past the '80's.

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 pm 

Sad to see them go, but they haven't really put anything legendary out in ~30 years anyhow. First four albums are mandatory.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 pm 

I wish they would've kept the "Triumph of Steel" line-up together for a few more albums and pursued a more aggressive direction.

Last edited by ~Guest 76452 on Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 pm 

Anybody here had the chance to see one of their live shows? i've always been curious, but i've never had the opportunity to see if they really can deliver an epic performance: their music seems literally to ask for a huge crowds and loud volumes! :)

I'm with Vic here: they may look ridicolous, gimmicky, repetitive, METAAAL! and be the font of inspiration of all the Guiltyspawns in the world... but their first four albums are great: the vocals are godly, the riffs spot on and Mountains it's for sure one one of my favourite songs of the genre! :)

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Wed May 25, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:51 pm 

Dungeon_Vic is right about the legend of "Secret Of Steel". Eric Adams makes it shine but the unconventional riffing of Ross/Joey wields so much emotion and grace too, and Columbus's pounding is heavenly. There's a video of Solitude Aeturnus covering the song live (in Greece, I think) but the crowd participation nearly killed Robert Lowe's intimidating rendition.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 pm 

I own the first few albums and just never could get into these guys. I picked the alums up used at a flea market. The first album I wouldn't consider metal (it was rock IMO). The outfits, persona, and other things they did or still do are just goofy to me. This really won't be any loss as far as I'm concerned. There are so many other great bands out there.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:01 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
charge less than $60 a ticket.

Are you kidding me? If this is truly a farewell tour and they really go all out with the stage production I can't picture them charging less than $150.

Easily $150 and up. Fuck I bet they go well into the $300 range for high end seating.

Buuuuuut that being said, I've still never seen Manowar.... so maybe just maybe if they play a decent venue close to home I'll pull the trigger and go. Even if it does cost me a kidney in ticket prices.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:05 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I own the first few albums and just never could get into these guys. I picked the alums up used at a flea market. The first album I wouldn't consider metal (it was rock IMO). The outfits, persona, and other things they did or still do are just goofy to me. This really won't be any loss as far as I'm concerned. There are so many other great bands out there.

The first album is certainly more hard rocking than flat out metallic. The bombast is there but in a much subtler fashion. But there's two worthy epics in the form of "Dark Avenger" and "Battle Hymn". They kept the hard rockier side of them alive on the following records with stuff like "Warlord", "Animals" and "Blow Your Speakers". I always enjoyed that gleeful side of them.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:06 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

No, they really aren't.

That was my exact reaction, followed by a double face palm.

Do you REALLY believe that Manowar is better than most everything that gets praised on this forum? I seriously doubt it.

I will admit that Manowar had some fine music back in the 80's, making them stand out in the rather underwhelming USPM genre (shots will fire, but fuck it). They were original because of their image, and I respect that. But, it also made them look pretty fucking dumb at the same time, which is why they deserve all the negative criticism they receive. Not a life changing band for me, but always fun to listen to them.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:09 pm 

The only underwhelming facet about USPM is how largely it flew over a lot of heads.

EDIT: But maybe that's a good thing!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:14 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
There's a video of Solitude Aeturnus covering the song live (in Greece, I think) but the crowd participation nearly killed Robert Lowe's intimidating rendition.

Yes, Athens Greece (ENTIRE SHOW HERE). I was there with my wife (we both worship SA) and that moment was beyond godly. I have BEGGED twice Robert Lowe and John Perez to record a studio version because it is the only band in the world that could pull it off and offer the world a worthy version of that masterpiece. I am imagining a version like Shame on the Night, which is the best Dio cover I have ever heard (the second being SA's version of Heaven and Hell). Of course Robert is among my very, very favorite vocalists ever, so I am biased but god, it would be SO awesome if they did a studio version of SoS.

The crowd in Athens that night nearly creamed their pants. Organized by Greg of Eat Metal, while at the same day Opeth was playing, so the place was filled to the brim with taliban metalheads of the truest variety. A beauty to behold and hear. Only complaint that Robert, once again couldn't/hadn't bothered to learn the lyrics... (shame Robert, shame)

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Wed May 25, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:16 pm 

So, everything must come to an end. I still respect them - mainly for their first 4 albums. Still, albums like Louder Than Hell get regular rotation here. Yes, their image is mostly ridiculous, but that's why people know them even outside the metal circles, be that a good thing, or not.

Interesting to see if they're going to make one final album...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Do you REALLY believe that Manowar is better than most everything that gets praised on this forum? I seriously doubt it.

I know serious people who do. And to be honest, you could do a lot worse than choosing Manowar's golden era as your favorite music.

Quote:
the rather underwhelming USPM genre (shots will fire, but fuck it).

WAT. WHY. WTF. LOL. OMG. GTFO. ASAP.
(J/K.)

Quote:
They were original because of their image, and I respect that.

No, they were original because of their music. NOBODY wrote like Manowar and the fact that they had such gravitational pull as to steer fucking Quorthon towards a whole different kind of music is a testament to that.

Quote:
But, it also made them look pretty fucking dumb at the same time, which is why they deserve all the negative criticism they receive.

This is soooo wrong.
You just said that because they had a dumb image they deserve all the negative criticism. That's just so...american man. Judging a book by its cover? Afraid people will make fun of you for liking those morons with the plastic swords, the furry underwear and the Conan fixation? Great, innovative music but let's shit on them because they are uncool? So metal :annoyed:

I don't think you have spent much time looking at band photos from the 80s. You should. It's a lot of fun.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 pm 

The old Manowar albums like Hail to England and Sign of the Hammer were extremely influential and they did have a very unique style, but I never thought they were great. Good, yeah, with some brilliant moments, but it never really hit 'holy shit, this whole album is gold' level or anything - there were weak tracks and the albums were often too scanty and short. The good moments were worth it though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:34 pm 

You're right, Emp, I mean they're good but just not 2000s Iron Maiden good. Look, Ross the Boss just found a singer who can nail all the Manowar stuff... losing actual Manowar at this point is no great loss despite them still being decent live.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:38 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
You're right, Emp, I mean they're good but just not 2000s Iron Maiden good.

Yeah, I would say that's pretty accurate actually.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:46 pm 

All I have to say is good riddance. I believe the whole 'true metal' thing they did was nothing but a marketing gimmick when in reality they were just a sucky 80s metal band that never updated their sound. Unfortunately people fell for it unaware they were supporting the real life version of Spinal Tap. Probably the most embarrassing, childish metal band of all time.

Last edited by MyrVarg on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:00 pm 

I only listened through their discography because someone told me that Bathory copied the epic drumming style from Manowar.

It's enjoyable enough. It's the sort of metal you'd put on while drinking beer with some friends. I find myself enjoying the first album the most, even though their later stuff had more epic songs. Those simple 3 minute rockers are great.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next