Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am 

gabber wrote:
Maybe a controversial statement, but I've had no doubt in my mind that Joey has some sort of mental illness or defect going on there. Is it the booze? Do they take drugs? i don't know - maybe it's just his own ego.

The Gods of War album was meant to be the start of a series of concept albums, each focused on a Norse mythological god. In the end, we got Thunder In The Sky EP (which I actually think is a solid release), and then apparently he binned a nearly completed album when they changed drummer and they came out with Lord Of Steel. Which, lets face it, was not a good album.

The Asgard Saga - huge project tied in with the follow up to Gods Of War. Had it's own website, had it's own author collaboration. Was meant to be a huge project. And then it just disappeared never to be heard from again.

He says 'what the fans want' all the time - there have been 5 studio albums since Kings Of Metal which was around 1988 (31 years). The 'fans want' new music!
On top of that, the rather odd situation with Rhapsody and with Majesty with the name changes and all that went on. Court cases and some really nasty disputes.

Joey is clearly an asshole. He rambles on about a lot of stuff that just doesn't add up. The quotes in the comment above me are proof of that. He did say it was goodbye and farewell, now he's saying it's not. In a few months he will be saying something else again.

Take every single thing he says with a grain of salt. They're the ramblings of a madman.

Yes, they've had quite a few missteps, strange decisions, and failed promises over the years. It all just adds to me not being able to really trust the band on any level. I'm not sure if Joey has a mental illness, but without a doubt he's got a massive ego and a "persona" that he clings onto. On one hand I'm okay with it, because Manowar is full of bravado and over-the-top manliness, so of course the spokesperson of the band has to have an ego to match that. But it also is getting a little pathetic watching him do his same old shtick at 65 years old. It also is a bit saddening seeing footage of this Final Battle tour. They're claiming the shows are so epic and destructive, but in reality it's two old men and two hired guns playing their classic songs sloppily and against a pretty cheap looking backdrop. Also this Final Battle tour has been going on for 3 years now, with no end in sight.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 am 

Yeah, despite posts on the Manowar FB talking about how great the shows were the footage seems a bit lacking in fire. Still I'd go see them since I missed the only shot I recall having a few years back.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am 

Thunder in the Sky was really good. A band like Manowar shouldn't be releasing EPs though IMHO (I'm not sure that anyone should).

The new live footage sounds really good to me and I'd like to see them live.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am 

So... a farewell tour that ultimately is not really a farewell tour?

How shocking!
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:59 pm 

As a band they've taken most of their queues from KISS since 1987, so this makes perfect sense.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:10 pm 

lol. you mean "cues", not "queues"... that's what you brits like to do in the shops :p

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:36 pm 

Regardless, it's a true statement.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:38 pm 

Manowar take both queues and cues from KISS.

Uncolored wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:35 am 

I don't see it.

they haven't announced more than one "farewell" tour (yet), no solo albums, the only ridiculous piece of merchandise was possibly the condom, and that was like ages ago and it does tie in to the manowar "lifestyle", it's not like they are selling coffins or lunchboxes, you don't see manowar tees on lowlife celebrities (thank f), plus, unlike $immon$ and co, they keep releasing new material. not to mention somewhat more obvious "differences" like the "die in battle" mentality, as opposed to the "have a good time" one of kiss. so, how did kiss influence manowar since 1987?

I'm not enamoured by much manowar have done post-1988, but let's keep it real, shall we?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 am 

In the old days the strategy was to announce a farewell tour, do it, then a couple years later get back together with either some or no acknowledgement at all of the previous "final" tour. Nowadays, the strategy as perfected by Slayer and ManOwaR, is to do a goodbye tour and then just never stop adding dates to it. The modern style of a bunch of smaller legs makes it easy to just add on another leg to the tour and hope nobody notices.

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:05 am 

^ So I am waiting for old schoolers Black Sabbath to do a come-back tour ;)

And Scorpions. Oh, wait... Do the final tour. Then come back with an album, and tour...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:31 pm 

aloof wrote:
I don't see it.
so, how did kiss influence manowar since 1987?

Both drawn by the same artist by the way. Kinda see it now? :)

Manowar is KISS through a Conan lens. Comic book, over the top, kings and all. Just barbarians but they still want to fuck and play (and hunt and ride bikes I guess)

The difference is that Manowar is (or rather was) 100 times better musically but 1000 times less apt commercially. Joey's talents in the bass is easily surpassed by Gene's talent for commerce...

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Best of 2016- The sloppiest list on the web

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 pm 

nah, that's just an album cover. you could stretch it to a few more manowar covers, but even as such that's a far cry from Joe Yorkshire and sidekick's claim that they take most of their cues from them...

Spoiler: show
burn their hearts, stab them in the eyes

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:36 am 

'Blow Your Speakers' could have very easily been a mid-80s KISS track, too.

Uncolored wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 am 

seriously? that's all? one song = "most of their cues" ?

those who laugh, and crowd the path

ACFAN8895
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:22 pm 

They both suck. So, there is your link.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 pm 

As a troll, ACFAN8895 has taken most of his queues from Acrobat since 1987, so this makes perfect sense.

I taste your blood as it showers from my blade

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 pm 

[It's midnight here, I'm tired, double post by botching a simple edit job.]

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:07 pm 

I wouldn't say there is a musical connection, although since 1987 they most certainly did go for the big sound and give more room to what was otherwise the one or two rock songs. With the exception of Battle Hymns which was the other way around since they hadn't fully realized their music vision, Animals or All Men Play on Ten were the exception - and the epic songs the norm. Then in 1987 spearheaded by their first video too, they tried the ROCKING but failed (so Kings of Metal for the next and forever), however they most certainly watered down their music vision to something more party friendly perhaps?

But what I meant was the overall image and spirit of the band is really informed by KISS. 4 superheroes (check Joey's description of any of his bandmates, it's beyond ridiculous everytime), the hyperbolic shit, the costumes even. It's just that instead of 4 comic book personas that ROCK you got 4 barbarian party animals dying for Metal. I'm sure Joey would have loved to be able to have a KISS-sized show everytime.

Again, musically I consider Manowar one of the absolute Greats of Metal, game changers, able to even make Quorthon shift his music vision and I consider KISS way overrated (I mean musically, because culturally they must be responsible for half the bands I am listening to being inspired to pick up an instrument) but I do find funny that nobody sees that Manowar's iconic personas being so influenced by Kiss. I think it's obvious.

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:01 pm 

Hot take who cares this band is shit

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:19 am 

A not-so-subtle way of saying that Manowar's impending splitup is coming...

Quite sad to hear that a powerful and heavy heavy/power metal band from the early '80s are about to break up.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:40 am 

ACFAN8895 wrote:
They both suck. So, there is your link.

:lol:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:02 am 

While Dungeon_Vic did a good job summing up Manowar's KISS influence, I think I'll add more to it (lest aloof sends a black arrows of death my way). Simply put, if KISS are trying to be the world's most "larger than life" rock band, then, Manowar are doing the same with heavy metal. Take KISS's 1976 album, Destroyer, underneath all the bells and whistles, it's pretty much a straight-forward hard rock album with some excellent songs and a slightly more sinister edge in some parts. I think Demaio really applied that Kings of Metal - it's mostly straight-forward enough to appeal to a large number of metal fans, has plenty of anthems, but also it has that sense of cinematic grandeur, the orchestral flourishes, the sense of aiming for something bigger than just another metal album. They're very comparable (right down to their inconsistency).

Clearly, Demaio is not that influenced by KISS as a musical force (you won't get many direct similarities in terms of individual songs), but KISS is his inspiration in terms of how to market a band, the "us versus them" mentality, the ridiculous merch, the "will they won't they" farewells. The "Scott's kid is sick, so he needs to leave the band" versus "Ace is from another planet and therefore he has trouble walking on stage" spiel. The talented guitarists who were ousted... KISS is ManOwar's spirit animal. Right down to the fact that you have to type their band names in funny ways.

Honestly, though, in terms of influence, maybe only Black Sabbath have had a bigger influence on Manowar. Manowar are weird in the sense that they've always sounded like their own thing and never really much like anyone else (to the point at which Demaio's main influence these days is, well, Joey Demaio).

Uncolored wrote:

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 am 

Another obvious parallel is the rotating guitar and drum positions.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:55 am 

Another parallel is that KISS has a guy who says "you wanted the best, you got the best"

Manowar has this guy.
Youtube: show

ACFAN8895
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:30 am 

aloof wrote:
As a troll, ACFAN8895 has taken most of his queues from Acrobat since 1987, so this makes perfect sense.

I taste your blood as it showers from my blade

1. I am a chick

2. I have no idea who Acrobat is.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm 

have you considered moving to Yorkshire? they have pudding! :)

trying to keep this short, and seeing how I've practically responded to most of the above in my previous "serious" post, I sort of see where Vic the Greek and Joe Yoork are coming from, but I don't agree. there's a very distinct difference between Kiss' open "we are in it for the money (and the girls and the fame)" approach and Manowar still living with their parents and having day jobs, for.ex.

I'm gonna spin Each dawn I die now, if no one minds...

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:11 am 

I will spin Animal. Have a feeling like that.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:07 pm 

aloof wrote:
have you considered moving to Yorkshire? they have pudding! :)

trying to keep this short, and seeing how I've practically responded to most of the above in my previous "serious" post, I sort of see where Vic the Greek and Joe Yoork are coming from, but I don't agree. there's a very distinct difference between Kiss' open "we are in it for the money (and the girls and the fame)" approach and Manowar still living with their parents and having day jobs, for.ex.

I'm gonna spin Each dawn I die now, if no one minds...

"Manowar" is always 4 guys, only one of which lived with his parents as an adult AFAIK.

Pretty much every metal guy has a day job of some sort unless you made millions in the 80s and 90s.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:05 pm 

I always got the impression that the Manowar guys, at least Joey in particular, were just really bad at budgeting.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I always got the impression that the Manowar guys, at least Joey in particular, were just really bad at budgeting.

I suspect whatever money they made went right back into the band, trying to always do something bigger next time.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:07 am 

I mean, look at the venues they play in Europe. I see pictures of them in arenas and shit all the time. Given that much smaller bands manage to eke out a living, there's no reason for them to be doing as badly as they apparently were/are outside of misplaced priorities. ToB is right in that they probably put a lot of the money back into the band, and I bet DeMaio is insistent on doing so at the cost of paying the other band members. I'd imagine hauling that big ass PA system of theirs around and setting it up/tearing it down every single night costs a LOT of money that other bands don't spend.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:47 am 

Being true and fighting the world isn't cheap.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Sure, they could save some money buying crackerjack clothes, but they'll never do it.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:34 pm 

Manowar's Budget of Steel has plenty of money for jeans and leather though.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Sure, they could save some money buying crackerjack clothes, but they'll never do it.

This is correct. Have you seen how much chains and leather costs these days?!

Or is it jeans and leather?

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:06 am 

Are crackerjack clothes some kind of sailor outfit? A foreigner doesn't know. Post pictures of crackerjack clothes.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am 

I'm not sure that it has any real meaning outside the minds of metal's oiliest warriors.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am 

Yeah, but ManOwaR sell polo shirts on their site, and polo shirts are close to the ultimate in "crackerjack clothes", so I feel like ManOwaR may just be full of shit.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 pm 

A polo with ManOwaR on it is removed from crackerjack status.

Fucking poser....

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next