* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:20 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
Like pretty much every metal band, their best work was in the 80s. So what?

Every metal band who released decent shit in the 80s and plummeted drastically since gets the same treatment here, calm down.

Not true, read the reviews for everything Maiden released since Bruce rejoined. I think most bands that aren't Manowar (excluding the guys with the "band therapist" DVD) get the benefit of not having a retarded image that makes people let below-mediocre "okay-ish" music slip more easily. Manowar's image worked when they were pumping out the riffs, without the riffs the joke overwhelmed any and all appreciation for whatever crumbs of talent they may have left. Maiden on the other hand were always cool respected guys and always will be, so everyone's happy with the crumbs given. Musically they both suck equally for over two decades now of course.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Anybody here had the chance to see one of their live shows?

I was at the show near Los Angeles a couple of years ago, there's a thread here somewhere about that one tour. It was loud.

They've been my favourites for the better part of my life, so I have to say I'm sad to see them go.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 pm 

"If you know metal you know Manowar"

I don't. I heard a couple of their 80s albums, and quickly forgot them. They're by no means essential metal. At best, a footnote in metal history.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:57 pm 

Never even listened to Manowar. I've got Judas Priest as my chosen metal god.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:00 pm 

If you've never heard manowar, you're not missing out. Really pretentious and lackluster stuff.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:13 pm 

At some point in life, you just can't Hail and Kill like you used to. Time to hang up that sword and settle down with a fair wench.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm 

Expedience wrote:
At best, a footnote in metal history.

That's just factually wrong.

I get the hate towards their image and how they can be perceived as an embarassment to metal (although...n/m) but actively dicouraging people to listen to them... that's fucked up. Seriously. They are fucking legends for a reason. The people who have the hammer tatoo didn't get it because they are so metal but because they are so FUCKING MAJESTICALLY AWESOME. Everyone who likes heavy metal should at the very least try them.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:24 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
If you've never heard manowar, you're not missing out. Really pretentious and lackluster stuff.

I dunno man, to each his own and all that but still. Manowar isn't all the hype they have but they're still worth listening to, especially if you've never even bothered checking them out. I'd have to agree with Empyreal and Acrobat on the band and their career as a whole. Nothing else really needs to be said about them.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:26 pm 

If true, who will defend the faithful against posers who wear cracker jack clothes? Wimps and posers will overtake the hall!

Last edited by Deathwish77 on Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:26 pm 

Better late than never, I guess!

My interest in them, like most others who aren't in the "HURR ONLY FIRST ALBUM IS REAL" crowd, ends after Kings of Metal, so I'm not deeply affected by this (if at all). But I'll give them props for finally coming to terms with the fact that they need to hang it up for good (even if that should've been done much, much sooner).

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:36 pm 

This news kind of sucks, especially since I'd hate to see them end their long career with The Lord of Steel, which is easily the worst album they've ever done. It might have been better if it weren't for the awful mix, with both the initial "Hammer Edition" mix and the later final mix being muddy and flat. I still don't get how they managed to release that album twice with two different mixes, and neither one was any good.

Hopefully this farewell is just for touring, and they'll release one final album or become a studio band from now on, which I wouldn't mind.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 pm 

I like 80's Manowar. Kings of Metal and Fighting the World are actually my favorites over the first 3. I don't like the debut much at all though. Hail and Kill and Violence and Bloodshed (underrated/overlooked perhaps?) are my two fav tunes.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:40 pm 

Deathwish77 wrote:
If true, who will defend the faithful against posers who wear cracker jack clothes? Wimps and posers will overtake the hall!

Wagner Antichrist needs to stop teaching economics and resume teaching true metal.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Deathwish77 wrote:

Wagner Antichrist needs to stop teaching economics and resume teaching true metal.

He's a sell out for cutting his hair and accepting a high paying professorship though! How dare he get an education and do that! True metal heads live in their parents house forever!

Lydster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm 

Manowar is to metal what Ac/dc is to hard rock. They're the quintessential metal band to me, although I can't say the news affects me much since they never played in England anyway and I found the last few albums (since Louder than Hell, which I liked) to be lacklustre.

I guess traditional metal isn't as popular as it used to be, it seems like a lot of those bands are finally throwing in the towel.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 pm 

This'll give me an excuse to listen to the first few albums by this band. 30 years of mediocre / shitty albums and they've finally got the sense to throw in the towel. Unfortunately there'll be no more new albums to have fun trashing them for, but at the same time we don't have to be subjected to shitty new Manowar albums. A blessing and a curse.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 pm 

Wagner was already studying economics while recording the classic material.

http://www.ironfistzine.com/2012/08/23/ ... es-to-die/

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:56 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Wagner was already studying economics while recording the classic material.

http://www.ironfistzine.com/2012/08/23/ ... es-to-die/

That makes sense. My girlfriend has a PhD and it took her a very long time to get it.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 pm 

This was about time. They should have split up more than ten years ago and left as legends. Now they leave as infamous whimps and posers. I thought they were cool when I was sixteen years old and I still connect a lot of great memories with friends and a lot of beer and mead in metal pubs with some classic Manowar tunes. Still, their best tracks would barely fill two discs and their last regular album is still the worst thing I have ever heard. Good riddance. On the other side, I guess they will come back after a year to save the metal scene from whimps and posers and claim to be heroes worshiped by millions of Manowarriors.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:10 pm 

I mean, everybody seems to agree that their first four albums are great and then the last good one varies from person to person (it's Kings of Metal for me, personally), but yeah to say they're not worth checking out at all is pretty silly. It's like saying don't bother with Metallica or Slayer because they haven't been good since the 80s. Even though Manowar became a total embarrassment down the line and their fans are the most annoying turds in the universe doesn't mean Battle Hymns isn't a fucking awesome album or they weren't historically one of the more important metal bands out there.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 pm 

Honestly, I think the debut is actually pretty cool, some trad and rockin' biker stuff, but I think the real star there was Adams' vocals. I never really cared for the epic stuff, in fact I'm not a super big fan of epic heavy metal outside of some choice albums, and Manowar's image really played far more to this stuff than I am comfortable with. All in all, it's about time. I agree with BH, though, Manowar is definitely a noteworthy band, definitely worth more than a "footnote".

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:54 pm 

In the last year or so, Manowar has become one of my favorite bands. My album preferences are a little different from what seems to be the majority of this forum. I love Battle Hymns, Hail to England, Sign of the Hammer, Kings of Metal, and The Triumph of Steel. Into Glory Ride has some good/great tracks (Secrets of Steel, Gloves of Metal, Gates of Valhalla, and Hatred), but the first one and last two are snoozers for me. Fighting the World has its merits as well, but not a favorite of mine.

I'm not overly familiar with any of their other albums. I used to own Warriors of the World, but didn't really like it.... but on the other hand, I didn't really like the band in general at the time either. It actually took me YEARS to appreciate Manowar, but when I finally did, I was hooked. I plan on giving Warriors of the World another listen sometime, as it seems to be the best reviewed post The Triumph of Steel on MA.

So, I think this is sad news, but I'm not going to say they should stick together either. But I wouldn't really know, other than I think it's a joke how they rerecorded not one, but TWO of their older albums. That's a major sign of running out of steam and creativity. So maybe it's a good thing they're splitting up.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:15 pm 

Manowar is one of my favourite bands, that being said, yeah, their best days are behind them so it's not a loss. The image being stupid and cheesy... I don't understand that argument and never will. Not liking any band is fine, but i can say the same about the image of practically every metal band and subgenre. But anyway, to each his own.

As for Manowar albums, my pick would be Triumph of Steel. And yeah, they are far from being just a footnote. It's obvious listening the Nordland albums from where Quorthon got the idea of riffing like that. And Virgin Steele would have stuck to that whitesnakey hard rock of theirs, without Manowar influence. And that without going to the german power metal scene.

Manowar influence is really important, despite being an inconsistent band.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:14 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I mean, everybody seems to agree that their first four albums are great and then the last good one varies from person to person (it's Kings of Metal for me, personally), but yeah to say they're not worth checking out at all is pretty silly. It's like saying don't bother with Metallica or Slayer because they haven't been good since the 80s. Even though Manowar became a total embarrassment down the line and their fans are the most annoying turds in the universe doesn't mean Battle Hymns isn't a fucking awesome album or they weren't historically one of the more important metal bands out there.

This sums it up for me. They should have quit a while back, but that doesn't discount what they've done. No band has done the meta-metal gimmick better than they have, and I doubt anyone ever will.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:25 am 

:grumble: I live in Mexico, soooooo that means i'm not gonna see them live

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:48 am 

I would like to a see a final album, but a good final album. They should work hard, puss less energy on aesthetics and try to make good music. Manowas has been a very important band mainly due to its 80s era and originality(back in time), and this career deserves a better ending.

Anyway its a good moment to say goodbye.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:51 am 

Is it weird that the intro of "Pleasure Slave" gives me a boner? Fucking hell, these guys were absolute retards...

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Is it weird that the intro of "Pleasure Slave" gives me a boner? Fucking hell, these guys were absolute retards...

You'd be a gay poser if it didn't

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:47 am 

Good, I thought I was the only one that wanks off to a Manowar song. :lol:

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 am 

Well, Manowar have been at it for over 30yrs and they can't go on forever.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:46 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

This sums it up for me. They should have quit a while back, but that doesn't discount what they've done. No band has done the meta-metal gimmick better than they have, and I doubt anyone ever will.

I can name a 1000 bands that all should have quit a long time ago. Maybe 20 of them are in the same league Manowar was in. Okay, they were strange people, with some strange ideas, but they did put a stamp on metal in the 80's. No matter what you try to discuss, but that is a fact. And there tons of bands who did superieur albums back in the day, but never reached that same top afterwards. So they all have to quit? Sepultura, Metal Church, Slayer, Metallica, Exodus, hell, every big name in the 80's never ever reached the same Heights afterwards.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:08 am 

To me personally this seriously sucks. I love pretty much anything by them except their unnecessary re-recordings. So maybe they will get a last album out for that occasion but I doubt it. Or there might be a last Hell on Earth DVD. Hope they'll haul their asses over to Munich once more...
Many big and/or influential bands leaving the stage these times: Motörhead, Sabbath, Twisted Sister, Crue, Manowar... Sometimes I hate it when time flows!

But hey, great time for all passionate haters out there...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:30 am 

I spent a bit checking out reactions all over the world and Greece in particular. There is a hefty dose of skepticism, best expressed by Rhino's tweet "can you see a 10 year old tour?". The Scorpions/Priest route? Or will it be the Ozzy - No More Tours route? Both are quite possible...

Others dream they will announce Ross the Boss joining them for the tour ("Every Manowarrior's dream"). For the kids who don't know Ross the Boss is, he is the original guitarist, co-author of some of their most monumental songs and the guy who left before their music went downhill, so he enjoys universal respect.

Most agree that it's wise to call it quits since they clearly can't write a good album to save their lives and this way they won't fuck with any other classic.

I'll say that Warriors of the World has some good songs that could have stood in Triumph of Steel for example. But that's the last decent album and it came after a weak one. The last shit was atrocious.

It's a shame that in their last days(?) they get mostly scorn and ridicule but I can't say that they didn't have it coming. They, like Metallica during the Loads era, actively tried to shit on their legacy with words and actions...

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 am 

Oh, and if Into Glory Ride opened with Defender instead of Warlord it would have made its A' Side the most epic vinyl slab in the history of metal.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:51 am 

^
I will never understand why they never didn't publish the songs of the The Dawn of Battle single on a regular album. They had never problems with this before and after. Would have made an amazing album out of Warriors of the World.
Damn, i now even start to like the Gods of War album... :D

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:49 am 

They should've done in 1992 soon after the ToS tour.

"You make it easy."

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 am 

Never liked Manowar.
Cheese anybody?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:01 am 

I don't understand. They retired after Sign of the Hammer. Flawless band with a flawless discography!

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:07 am 

Couldn't be any happier.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:26 am 

This thread made me try to listen to the Manowar CDs I have. Couldn't do it. Couldn't listen to one all the way through. I even just tried some of the epic songs people talk about. It's just boring to me. I think metal will survive without these guys.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next