Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Deathwish77
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Posts: 364
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:27 pm 
 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Is it weird that the intro of "Pleasure Slave" gives me a boner? Fucking hell, these guys were absolute retards...

I always skip that one. It's bad. I skip The Warriors Prayer too because one only needs to hear it a couple times to get the gist. The rest of the tunes are great!

Top
 Profile  
GuiltySpawn
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:06 pm
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:32 pm 
 

There sure is a lot of hate for Manowar around here. Why is this?

Top
 Profile  
stainedclass2112
Veteran

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:36 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Bucketheadland
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:12 pm 
 

GuiltySpawn wrote:
There sure is a lot of hate for Manowar around here. Why is this?

Because it's Manowar.
_________________
raspberrysoda wrote:
It will make you piss in your goddamn pants. It has influences from thrash, grindcore, crossover, hardcore punk, and RUDOLPH THE FUCKING RED NOSED DEER

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4689
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 pm 
 

Evoken wrote:
Hopefully this farewell is just for touring, and they'll release one final album or become a studio band from now on, which I wouldn't mind.


I get the feeling that the band that puts out the odd studio album every five years or so wouldn't really be cut out as a studio band...

With how much time Manowar spends touring Europe and how much time there is between their albums, it doesn't seem like I'll really notice them being gone. They've been stale for a pretty long time and the re-recordings seem to be their death knell. That said, I'll still enjoy the albums I have of theirs. The Triumph of Steel was my cutoff but there are some good songs here and there on Warriors Of The World and Gods Of War.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Dead1
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:59 am
Posts: 154
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 am 
 

I could never get into them but then I could never get into 1980's Judas Priest and don't get the hardons associated with Painkiller. Gimme Iron Maiden or Helstar or Anvil any day.

However I totally acknowledge that Manowar are a heavy metal institution and their retirement is a sad event. It's also a sad reminder of our ageing genre in which the legends are not being replaced by new blood.

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 4015
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:33 am 
 

Dead1 wrote:
.

However I totally acknowledge that Manowar are a heavy metal institution and their retirement is a sad event. It's also a sad reminder of our ageing genre in which the legends are not being replaced by new blood.


This is the sad fact about this. What will happen with Manowar, Judas, Iron Maider and similars split up? there is no replacement.

Top
 Profile  
Dead1
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:59 am
Posts: 154
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:41 am 
 

Paganbasque wrote:

This is the sad fact about this. What will happen with Manowar, Judas, Iron Maider and similars split up? there is no replacement.


I suspect at that point metal stops being as big as it is and sinks into relative obscurity.

The scene's too fragmented these days for any new legends to be born.

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 4015
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:27 am 
 

Dead1 wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

This is the sad fact about this. What will happen with Manowar, Judas, Iron Maider and similars split up? there is no replacement.


I suspect at that point metal stops being as big as it is and sinks into relative obscurity.

The scene's too fragmented these days for any new legends to be born.


100% agree. Its bad because though I mainly listen to extreme metal, I consider important to have truly relevant metal bands which can hit the mainstream. Its the way to keep alive some kind of rock culture. There is enough ignorance about what heavy metal is in the socieaty, so imagine the situation without bands which are quite wellknown.

Top
 Profile  
stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:51 pm
Posts: 218
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:25 am 
 

I think that metal will survive in the coming years in small circles rather than big waves like it did in the 80s and 90s and we have to face the fact that metal will never be mainstream again and is already in obscurity.Hell,nowdays some of my favourite metal bands are relatively obscure and get no mainstream attention or radio airplay.The point is that metal might have mainstream attention it had in the 70s and 80s or hell even the 90s but we mustn't let stuff like this bring us down. Metal is a genre that will last forever and will go through a lot of incarnations like the -core phase is going through now.It's simply just a phase and who knows maybe that will change in a few years.


Last edited by stevetehgreate on Fri May 27, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26728
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:43 am 
 

People always talk about how metal will 'survive' as if it's some kind of big cliffhanger question. It's not really a big deal. Bands will continue making metal music, as we see right now with so many new bands. It will suck when Maiden and Priest hang it up, but the genre itself will be fine.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8304
Location: York, North Yorkshire
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:53 am 
 

Yeah, I mean, we can at least count ourselves lucky that we had the opportunity to see these bands live. Metal will survive; metal can do anything it wants to.
_________________
'Sometimes you have to be a bigot in order to beat bigger bigots' - G. Marenghi.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Top
 Profile  
Deathwish77
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Posts: 364
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:56 pm 
 

Metal will never die. The biggest challenge was Grunge which sent metal back underground for a bit. Metal is still here while Grunge is but a memory.

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:02 pm
Posts: 2335
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:27 pm 
 

They should have done it way earlier, and I mean it with no schadenfreude whatsoever - quite the opposite, as I genuinely think their legacy would have been left in a way better state. The last twenty years, give or take, have been a joke without a punchline, with those spectacularly awful rerecordings being the final nail in a coffin long ready to be interred. Never mind the loincloths, the swords and the speeches; it was Joey's appalling business and artistic decisions that brought massive ridicule upon this band.

Thanks for the classic material, that goes without saying, but I'm not shedding tears over this.
_________________
Bands I'm in:
Phenris
In Corpore Mortis
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 2494
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:43 pm 
 

I don't get it. Anvil might as well name their next album Rinse and Repeat for all the innovation they've done in the last 30+ years and everyone's fine with that. (Myself included - love Anvil, just making a point.) But Manowar does the same until finally exiting the hall, and y'all are saying "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." and calling them out of touch hacks, pale imitations, etc. Shit's weird, man.
_________________
rannvroeleirezh ha rakvarn komzont brezhoneg

Top
 Profile  
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 3316
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:16 pm 
 

It was mentioned earlier in this thread I believe, but basically that boils down to the fact that Manowar's later mediocre material completely fails to live up to and thus collapses under the sheer weight of their bombastic and over-the-top kings of metal image.

Not necessarily a great reason to bash them, but this issue does make for quite a laughable and shambolic display when they do release an album.

Top
 Profile  
Lydster
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:16 am
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:47 pm 
 

severzhavnost wrote:
I don't get it. Anvil might as well name their next album Rinse and Repeat for all the innovation they've done in the last 30+ years and everyone's fine with that. (Myself included - love Anvil, just making a point.) But Manowar does the same until finally exiting the hall, and y'all are saying "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." and calling them out of touch hacks, pale imitations, etc. Shit's weird, man.


It has become fashionable to hate this band and I have no idea why. Maybe they are seen as taking themselves too seriously, as lacking self-awareness, but they have more of a sense of humour than most people realise and I don't think many other bands have been as loyal to their fans as Manowar.

Top
 Profile  
MawBTS
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am
Posts: 808
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:47 am 
 

GuiltySpawn wrote:
There sure is a lot of hate for Manowar around here. Why is this?


It's honestly hard to explain man. Let me give it a go, as a longtime fan of the band.

1. The image Manowar projects is that they're the ultimate heavy metal band - the loudest, the heaviest, the most true. They have the best gear. They have the greatest fans. Et cetera.

2. Most people think this is all some Spinal Tap esque joke, and maybe it was at the start (you know they were laughing their asses off while posing in loinclothes and furry boots). But after a certain amount of time, Joey DeMaio started to take his own joke seriously. Listen to all the interviews where he calls people "brother", without a hint of irony. Watch all the videos of him ranting about how all other bands are false metal. The guy completely believes that Manowar is the be-all, end-all of metal.

3. I say "Joey" instead of "Manowar" because Joey IS Manowar. He's written virtually every song they have, produces all their albums, oversees their videos, runs their record label, and does a million other things. Everyone else in the band is replaceable (except perhaps Eric). Manowar isn't "four true metal brothers, fighting against false metal", it's Joey DeMaio's maniacal ego and a couple of guys who are basically hired musicians.

4. When you talk to Manowar's ex-members, the common theme (expressed with varying levels of rancour) is "man, fuck Joey." Ross Friedman is known to have left the band because Joey was too controlling, and wouldn't give him creative freedom. David Shankle is a similar case. The band's webmistress DawnOwar quit years ago because she couldn't take Joey anymore. Scott Columbus might be the worst case - when he quit, Joey made up a fake story about how he was leaving to take care of his sick son, rather than let anyone think that a band as great as Manowar could have creative strife.

5. Joey is known for promising stuff that's beyond his ability to deliver. New albums that never materialize (remember Hammer of the Gods, which was supposed to come out in 2010?). Tours that never happen. Media tie-ins that never happen (search for "The Asgard Saga" - there were supposed to be Manowar novels and movies and videogames.)

6. Amidst Joey's constant promises, the band's output has slowed to a crawl. Four studio albums in twenty years. Tiny, scaled-back tours, because so few venues can handle Manowar's backline (you can find old stories on Blabbermouth about this). Anyone remember that time they advertised an "European tour" that was 9 dates in Germany and 1 date in Austria, or some bullshit like that?

7. Manowar's new music is far inferior to its glory days. Literally half of "Warriors of the World" and "Gods of War" can be thrown away. Their latest album was horribly underproduced and obviously rushed out very quickly. If you're claiming to be the greatest metal band ever, your music had better back it up, and Manowar's doesn't.

8. Basically, Manowar is KISS all over again (minus the massive international success). In the 1970s they would have you that they were the world's greatest rock band...but eventually you realise that Gene is a pig, Paul is bully, Ace and Peter are druggies, all of them hated each other, and all of them only really cared about money at the end of the day. Manowar isn't completely like that (I believe Joey really does think Manowar is the greatest band in the world, instead of it being a cynical charade like KISS's was), but it's just the complete destruction of a fantasy you once held.

Top
 Profile  
The Red Tower
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:06 am
Posts: 285
Location: At the Gate of Sethu
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:54 am 
 

^ Very well put man!

This band could have been much more in the later stage of their career if they had focused on regularly forging quality steel instead of resting on their laurels and polishing plastic swords...

So the first dates for the "final battle" have been confirmed starting in November (2017!!) in Germany, price is 90€.
But we get to expect something more spectacular than ever before so this must be more than reasonable :grumble: They announce over two hours of playing time. Will get my damn ticket simply because it's gonna be the last fucking time.
_________________
We live hidden from the sun in the mantle of the eternal night. We breathe the corpse effluvia from the uncovered graves.
Our grim and solemn scorn will take you all to hell. Come on, show us your pride and try to face our spell!

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 699
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:30 am 
 

Quote:
I don't get it. Anvil might as well name their next album Rinse and Repeat for all the innovation they've done in the last 30+ years and everyone's fine with that. (Myself included - love Anvil, just making a point.) But Manowar does the same until finally exiting the hall, and y'all are saying "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." and calling them out of touch hacks, pale imitations, etc. Shit's weird, man.

Anvil is an authentic band consisting of three friends who love what they do. Even though they have struggled to make ends meet, they have always carried on and never tried to adapt to any trends. These three musicians are grounded and close to their fans and friends. Their records might not be innovating but they put out stuff regularly and all albums are performed with pace and passion. The quality of their new material isn't a far call from the band's first outputs in my opinion. This group is one of those bands that are much more convincing on stage and deliver a passionate show for a fistful of dollars, no matter if they play in front of ten or ten thousand people. In addition to this, the band has become one of Canada's most iconic metal bands and represents some of the country's spirit and values in the world without exaggerating.

Manowar is basically a one-man project of a control freak with a larger-than-life ego who claims his band is the greatest one of all. The band makes false promises about upcoming albums that never appear and randomly covers its own records instead. The quality of their new material has steadily and heavily decreased over the past two decades. They deliver extremely expensive concerts that are filled with redundant bass solos, overlong speeches and orchestral sounds from a tape. They treat former band members and collaborators badly and the band leader makes more than just controversial statements about music journalists, the metal scene in general and women. The band represents exaggerated patriotism at times that isn't much appreciated outside their own country.

Anvil and Manowar are basically antagonists.

Somebody said Manowar are more than a side note and are still relevant today. I agree that some of their songs and albums are influential. Still, this band has existed for thirty-six years now and their best albums were released within two years (1982 - 1984). If a band was great for two years in a career that lasted thirty-six years, one has to say that this short influential period can only be considered a side note. Manowar are overrated and they definitely deserve the hate they get because of the band leader's attitude. One shouldn't take them seriously but the problem is that the band leader takes himself very seriously. He got stuck in what was supposed to be a parody and now truly believes in it. And I'm saying this despite the fact that I own and even like some of Manowar's records quite a lot.
_________________
My most recent short stories:

''Visitors'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

''Bullet'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/bullet-a-short-story-a173345708

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2073
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:52 am 
 

MawBTS wrote:
GuiltySpawn wrote:
There sure is a lot of hate for Manowar around here. Why is this?


It's honestly hard to explain man. Let me give it a go, as a longtime fan of the band.

1. The image Manowar projects is that they're the ultimate heavy metal band - the loudest, the heaviest, the most true. They have the best gear. They have the greatest fans. Et cetera.

2. Most people think this is all some Spinal Tap esque joke, and maybe it was at the start (you know they were laughing their asses off while posing in loinclothes and furry boots). But after a certain amount of time, Joey DeMaio started to take his own joke seriously. Listen to all the interviews where he calls people "brother", without a hint of irony. Watch all the videos of him ranting about how all other bands are false metal. The guy completely believes that Manowar is the be-all, end-all of metal.

3. I say "Joey" instead of "Manowar" because Joey IS Manowar. He's written virtually every song they have, produces all their albums, oversees their videos, runs their record label, and does a million other things. Everyone else in the band is replaceable (except perhaps Eric). Manowar isn't "four true metal brothers, fighting against false metal", it's Joey DeMaio's maniacal ego and a couple of guys who are basically hired musicians.

4. When you talk to Manowar's ex-members, the common theme (expressed with varying levels of rancour) is "man, fuck Joey." Ross Friedman is known to have left the band because Joey was too controlling, and wouldn't give him creative freedom. David Shankle is a similar case. The band's webmistress DawnOwar quit years ago because she couldn't take Joey anymore. Scott Columbus might be the worst case - when he quit, Joey made up a fake story about how he was leaving to take care of his sick son, rather than let anyone think that a band as great as Manowar could have creative strife.

5. Joey is known for promising stuff that's beyond his ability to deliver. New albums that never materialize (remember Hammer of the Gods, which was supposed to come out in 2010?). Tours that never happen. Media tie-ins that never happen (search for "The Asgard Saga" - there were supposed to be Manowar novels and movies and videogames.)

6. Amidst Joey's constant promises, the band's output has slowed to a crawl. Four studio albums in twenty years. Tiny, scaled-back tours, because so few venues can handle Manowar's backline (you can find old stories on Blabbermouth about this). Anyone remember that time they advertised an "European tour" that was 9 dates in Germany and 1 date in Austria, or some bullshit like that?

7. Manowar's new music is far inferior to its glory days. Literally half of "Warriors of the World" and "Gods of War" can be thrown away. Their latest album was horribly underproduced and obviously rushed out very quickly. If you're claiming to be the greatest metal band ever, your music had better back it up, and Manowar's doesn't.

8. Basically, Manowar is KISS all over again (minus the massive international success). In the 1970s they would have you that they were the world's greatest rock band...but eventually you realise that Gene is a pig, Paul is bully, Ace and Peter are druggies, all of them hated each other, and all of them only really cared about money at the end of the day. Manowar isn't completely like that (I believe Joey really does think Manowar is the greatest band in the world, instead of it being a cynical charade like KISS's was), but it's just the complete destruction of a fantasy you once held.


I agree with all of these points, but this is why it also confuses me that people care so much. Manowar is larger than life, and everything they do is both stupid and hilarious. The fact that they announced their farewell shows a year and a half away is amazing. It's exactly what I expect from a band with this track record.

It's weird that people care about the unfulfilled promises considering everyone seems to hate them. I see it as part of the Manowar schtick. They're gonna do a bunch of really dumb stuff, and I get laughs just watching. And with that said, I'll gladly travel and pay the $100 to see them on this tour because I appreciate the whole grandeur of it.

As for Joey's ego, it is definitely too big, but I view it from another perspective: people say that he thinks too highly of himself, I would say that he's playing a character that he's just never broken. Even Glen Benton has come out of character once in a while, but Joey has never done a thing in his life that is out of character, which makes the appeal of Manowar even bigger for me.

The legitimate criticism from my perspective is the musical perspective. As you said, half of Warriors of the World was useless (and the fact that The Dawn of Battle was a separate single instead of being on the album is, again, exactly what you'd expect from Manowar). I haven't heard Gods of War, but I certainly know of its reputation. I actually really liked The Lord of Steel. The first edition had production issues, but if you've got the newer version with the bonus track, it sounds pretty good IMO, and the songwriting isn't too bad. The best songs aren't as good as the stuff on Louder Than Hell, but the album is more consistent. The major problem here is that it takes them 5+ years to do an album, and they often don't live up to expectations, so I definitely understand the criticism from that perspective.

kluseba wrote:
Quote:
I don't get it. Anvil might as well name their next album Rinse and Repeat for all the innovation they've done in the last 30+ years and everyone's fine with that. (Myself included - love Anvil, just making a point.) But Manowar does the same until finally exiting the hall, and y'all are saying "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." and calling them out of touch hacks, pale imitations, etc. Shit's weird, man.

Anvil is an authentic band consisting of three friends who love what they do.


I'd change that to two. Anvil has been Lips and Robb Reiner for a couple of decades now. This is even more true since the other long-running members of the band left.
_________________
Skull Fracturing Metal - Facebook Page
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26728
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:14 am 
 

The unfulfilled promises are just why they are so frustrating as a band. They're hailed as this super important, legendary band with this huge fanbase, but they've barely released anything in the last 20 years and what they do release is utter garbage and nonsense like Louder than Hell. I admit I haven't heard much of albums like Gods of War or The Lord of Steel, but honestly I wasn't terribly interested. The fact that they're hailed as the loudest band out there and this flagship metal band, but can never get a good guitar tone that sounds even remotely heavy, is part of it too.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9200
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:25 am 
 

Yeah that big list pretty well sums up why they've become such a joke. I don't think they sit there and wear their loincloths to the grocery store or anything, but they tend to take themselves so seriously and have cultivated this rabid fanbase without even really putting in any effort for the last two decades. Maybe I'm being unfair, because I've never heard Louder than Hell or Gods of War, but Warriors of the World is lame as shit and Lord of Steel was embarrassing, and even then Triumph of Steel had that fucking Achilles suite. Not to mention they've covered their own albums in full twice now, which is just a slap in the face to both fans who want new music and fans of those original albums. I've always wanted to see them live because they have a couple albums from the 80s I really like, but tickets are always on par with fucking AC/DC and I can just never afford it. I can see Priest and Maiden for like 30-40 bucks, and that's a really expensive ticket for me. You're out of your fucking mind if you think I'm gonna spend three times that to see fucking Manowar play a worse set at a smaller venue.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Everfrost - Winterider
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10370
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:44 am 
 

MawBTS that is a beautiful list of reasons why Joey is a hack-fraud and this band doesn't deserve the reputation it has. No matter how good anyone says the first albums were, it doesn't elevate these guys to legendary status nor excuse the rest of the music they release thereafter. If that's the case then you can pick any 2-4 good albums from a band with more than double the amount of albums (most of which are mediocre or suck balls) and call the band amazing. Fuck that, and fuck this band. Manowar fanboys can't justify the last 25 years of cancerous bullshit (which btw includes only 5 albums, and 2 re-recordings but those are laughable at best) from a band that's been around for 36 years.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5131
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:12 am 
 

GuiltySpawn wrote:
There sure is a lot of hate for Manowar around here. Why is this?


A lot of people here are afraid of themselves.

My feelings on this band tend to shift pretty drastically without any real reason. Somehow, Louder than Hell was a favorite of mine super early on. Even the stuff that I know is boring, plodding bullshit is enjoyable to me, though I virtually never listen to it, nor even their "good" stuff. It's just so cheesy and deadpan that I can't take it seriously. But seeing as Hammerheart is probably my favorite Bathory album, I suppose that's reason enough to forgive any sin of theirs.

R.I.P.
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2073
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:25 am 
 

I suppose the problem here is the specific gimmick that Manowar chose. If they sung about heavy metal being awesome, rather than specifically about them being the best heavy metal band, I don't think people would care as much. For me, I don't see them as any different from Running Wild, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, etc: they're a band with a good catalogue of music that sings mostly about one specific thing. Their execution of their theme is perfect, and the fact that it seems to upset so many people is proof of that. Much like those 4 bands mentioned above, they have their duds musically, and I suppose the theme of their music directly clashes with the fact that they have some bad albums, but I think people are just taking them way too seriously.
_________________
Skull Fracturing Metal - Facebook Page
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26728
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:31 am 
 

Spiner202 wrote:
I suppose the problem here is the specific gimmick that Manowar chose. If they sung about heavy metal being awesome, rather than specifically about them being the best heavy metal band, I don't think people would care as much. For me, I don't see them as any different from Running Wild, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, etc: they're a band with a good catalogue of music that sings mostly about one specific thing. Their execution of their theme is perfect, and the fact that it seems to upset so many people is proof of that. Much like those 4 bands mentioned above, they have their duds musically, and I suppose the theme of their music directly clashes with the fact that they have some bad albums, but I think people are just taking them way too seriously.


That's literally not at all what I was saying, or most others who have a problem.

General rule of thumb - if your argument comes down to 'they're taking (x) too seriously, that's why they don't like it' then whatever you're arguing for is terrible and sucks.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4567
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:08 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
General rule of thumb - if your argument comes down to 'they're taking (x) too seriously, that's why they don't like it' then whatever you're arguing for is terrible and sucks.


This needs to be put in huge red letters at the top of this forum.
_________________
demonomania wrote:
A gritty "Leprechaun In the IRA" reboot sounds pretty awesome, actually. Sample line - "Come have a taste of me lucky ARMS!"

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Top
 Profile  
nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 am
Posts: 139
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:13 pm 
 

another great band from my catalogue parting ways..

Top
 Profile  
Chaosmonger
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 1030
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:40 pm 
 

they released five very good albums (first 4 + KoM) :shrug:, that's more than most metal bands even come close to.

Top
 Profile  
MawBTS
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am
Posts: 808
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:07 pm 
 

Quote:
I agree with all of these points, but this is why it also confuses me that people care so much. Manowar is larger than life, and everything they do is both stupid and hilarious. The fact that they announced their farewell shows a year and a half away is amazing. It's exactly what I expect from a band with this track record.


Again, it's like KISS. The fantasy is so potent that it sucks you under its spell (or it did in my case, probably because I'm a loser).

Then eventually you see what's behind the curtain, and it isn't pretty.

Quote:
As you said, half of Warriors of the World was useless (and the fact that The Dawn of Battle was a separate single instead of being on the album is, again, exactly what you'd expect from Manowar)


As far as I know, Dawn of Battle was written and released after WoTW to promote the Fire and Blood DVD. It definitely sounds like it could have been a WoTW track, and I still think of it as part of that album.

My WoTW fan tracklist:

1. Call to Arms
2. The Dawn of Battle
3. Warriors of the World United
4. Swords in the Wind
5. Hand of Doom
6. House of Death
7. Fight Until We Die
(maybe throw "I Believe" or "Nessum Dorma" on here somewhere too)

Top
 Profile  
Deathwish77
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Posts: 364
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:11 pm 
 

Lydster wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
I don't get it. Anvil might as well name their next album Rinse and Repeat for all the innovation they've done in the last 30+ years and everyone's fine with that. (Myself included - love Anvil, just making a point.) But Manowar does the same until finally exiting the hall, and y'all are saying "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." and calling them out of touch hacks, pale imitations, etc. Shit's weird, man.


It has become fashionable to hate this band and I have no idea why. Maybe they are seen as taking themselves too seriously, as lacking self-awareness, but they have more of a sense of humour than most people realise and I don't think many other bands have been as loyal to their fans as Manowar.

Around 50 fans in Kansas City will certainly take umbrage with this statement. A poster that attended that gig said the band came out in their cracker jack clothes played 5 songs then left because well... there were 'only' 50 fans there. And yes, as they've aged they seem to take themselves much too seriously and not in a good way. In an arrogant, our shit doesn't stink way. Curing cancer they are not.

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2073
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:36 pm 
 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
I agree with all of these points, but this is why it also confuses me that people care so much. Manowar is larger than life, and everything they do is both stupid and hilarious. The fact that they announced their farewell shows a year and a half away is amazing. It's exactly what I expect from a band with this track record.


Again, it's like KISS. The fantasy is so potent that it sucks you under its spell (or it did in my case, probably because I'm a loser).

Then eventually you see what's behind the curtain, and it isn't pretty.

Well, sorta. I know exactly what's behind the curtain. The difference is that I laugh it off. I almost didn't want to include the "serious" line in my other post because people ignore everything else in favour of that one line, but the point still stands. Manowar has an image and they play up to the image well.

To me, there's a difference between people's expectations and reality. I know Manowar is gonna overcharge. I'm just not gonna complain and instead decide whether or not seeing them is worth $100 + travelling (which for me it definitely is).

Quote:
As far as I know, Dawn of Battle was written and released after WoTW to promote the Fire and Blood DVD. It definitely sounds like it could have been a WoTW track, and I still think of it as part of that album.


Good info to know here. I was not a Manowar fan at that time, so I didn't know it was separate. I just assumed that they would write an awesome metal song and put it out separately to get you to buy the single as well.
_________________
Skull Fracturing Metal - Facebook Page
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
MawBTS
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am
Posts: 808
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:50 pm 
 

Dumping some links of random Manowar drama.

Why did Rhapsody of Fire sign with Manowar's record label and then release nothing for several years? "We wanted to inform you that we are in the middle of a hard legal fight with MCM and main representative Mr. Joey De Maio" (similar events happened to Holyhell - which was fronted by Joey's former girlfriend Maria - and Majesty).

When Dio died, Manowar released a tribute album (indecently quickly). It included a track by Dio's cousin, against his objections. Joey also claimed Dio was one of his closest friends, which Wendy Dio denies. "Ronnie knew Joey DeMaio, they were not friends."

All of Manowar's members except Joey have a day job. Eric is a hunting instructor and children's singer. Karl Logan gives guitar lessons. Who knows what Donnie Hamzik does.

The long-ago feud between Joey and Virgin Steele's David Defeis, which culminated in a near fist-fight backstage. Defeis is another interesting figure, who shares a lot of Joey's problems (and Virgin Steele vis-à-vis Manowar.)

Photographer allegedly extorted by Joey. "A second "bodyguard" brought Young into a room while the original stood watch in the hallway. She was then told she owed the company $25,000 and was ordered to write a cheque on the spot or else things would get "super bad" for her."

Top
 Profile  
Deathwish77
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Posts: 364
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:14 pm 
 

^There you have it. Tell's one a lot about their character. Joey's anyway.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10370
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:41 pm 
 

Joey DiMaio. Certified asshole.

Also, what is this? Logan suffers from alopecia? So who's making him wear a wig?

Image
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 am
Posts: 715
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:18 pm 
 

Haha didnt know that defeis bit. I did know he is exactly like joey but didnt know about the feud and all that. Only natural outcome when that personalities get together. Funny how Jack starr mentions that his writing is like Manowar

Would be fun getting them together on a supergroup with mustaine and malmsteen on guitars and portnoy on drums and see what happens


Last edited by Desperta_Ferro on Sat May 28, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
stainedclass2112
Veteran

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:36 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Bucketheadland
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:20 pm 
 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Would be fun getting them together on a supergroup with mustaine and malmsteen on guitars and portnoy on drums and see what happens

Oh my goodness, could you imagine!? :lol:
_________________
raspberrysoda wrote:
It will make you piss in your goddamn pants. It has influences from thrash, grindcore, crossover, hardcore punk, and RUDOLPH THE FUCKING RED NOSED DEER

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Veteran

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2704
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:33 am 
 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Funny how Jack starr mentions that his writing is like Manowar


Never understood why people make this comparison. There's hardly any similarity in songwriting between the two at all.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1509
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:08 am 
 

That article about their jobs is one of the most blatant displays of schadenfreude that i've ever see in my life.. godawful :lol:

Top
 Profile  
thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:22 pm
Posts: 681
Location: In a pocket full of posies
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:21 am 
 

You guys are so gullible! This isn't farewell, it's just another cashcow for them to milk much like the endless amount of singles (w/exclusive tracks!) and live shit they peddle.

Most overrated band in the history of metal music.
_________________
Warning: User may contain traces of nuts

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group