* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:20 pm 

Mortaeus wrote:
Ulver - Childhood's End

Just a fantastic rendition of a bunch of obscure 60s psychedelic rock.

This is a fantastic collection. +1

DEEK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:47 am 

arnvidr wrote:
Fantômas - The Director's Cut

The best film music covers that I know of.

Mike Patton, King Buzzo and Dave Lombardo covering horror/suspense movie/series theme songs. What's not to like?

Love this one.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:49 am 

Wolfkrieg did a really cool tribute album of Burzum's ambient output:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/W ... zum/498265

This Satyricon tribute is really cool too:

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/discogra ... -l-pt.html

And I also really like this Darkthrone tribute:

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/album-gr ... -l-pt.html

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:55 pm 

I actually LIKE Slayer's Undisputed Attitude. It just has a great selection of songs, though the production leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps that was on purpose though...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

DEEK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:14 pm 

Is Between the Buried and Me shunned here? If not, I think their The Anatomy Of... album was a real cool take on the covers album, how much the styles varied. However the vocals butchered Cemetery Gates and I was indeed disappointed about that.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:34 pm 

Bewitched-Enciclopaedia of Evil. Its not a extraordinary tribute album but it's a rare thing to see a metal band covering Black Widow.

Emperor vs. Thorns it's a split but Aerie Descent by Emperor its far better and one of my favourite Emperor tracks.

In King Diamond tribute (2000) we have a great and original version for The Portrait, by Enthral. I like when a band try not to caricature King, but finds it's own way of interpretation and originality, like King did.

Last edited by Necrobiotik on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm 

There aren't any! Not in entirety, anyway...

Anthrax nail pretty much everything they cover. Their recent cover of "Carry On My Wayward Son" is right on the money.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:25 pm 

Necrobiotik wrote:
I like when a band try not to caricature King, but finds it's own way of interpretation and originality

I like that for all covers. In a cover, I want it to be played as if the band had written the song themselves. I don't see the point in covers that are about sounding as simmilar to the original as possible, like they are impersonators/actors.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 am 

Dembo wrote:
I don't see the point in covers that are about sounding as simmilar to the original as possible, like they are impersonators/actors.

I can understand that often there is an element of reverence involved in a cover (not always, i have a soft spot for sacrilegious covers) but I really don't get bands that go out of their way to simply replicate a song, especially so when they go as far as to imitate the original songs vocal style. It becomes a completely pointless endeavor, but equally a cover should at least be recognizable, hell even Anal Cunt's efforts were recognizable at least for a percentage of a cover.

I always liked the In These Black Days series that Hydrahead put out in the late 90's bunch of metal/mathcore, sludge and grind bands doing Sabbath covers, most if not all of the bands managed to produce a distinctive take on the material I remember Cave In's take on NIB and Today is the Days Sabbath Bloody Sabbath being particularly good. Same goes for the Sepultura, Type O and White Zombie contributions to the first Nativity In Black compilation.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 am 

doesn't really properly count as there's some original tracks as well, but apocalyptica's inquisition symphony has a lot of great stuff - from before they became a boring generic rock band with drums, vocals and all

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm 

Since I necro-threaded this in 2017, I may as well do it in 2018 too. Also, this is a type of thread where it's likely that more people have stuff to contribute.

I recently found Exhumed's cover album Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated, from which I'm very fond of their version of Metallica's Trapped Under Ice. Also nice to see Pentagram and Sadus covered, and they even have a The Cure cover:

https://listenable-records.bandcamp.com ... gurgitated

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 pm 

Slatanic Slaughter, no doubts

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 pm 

epic bands on this one!

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:58 am 

For all fans of Woods of Ypres: "Heart of Gold" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvhw_uaj9bo
I like the variety of genres on this tribute.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 pm 

Every cover song Cradle Of Filth has ever done really makes me with they would do a tribute to the gods or garage inc. type record.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Slatanic Slaughter, no doubts

Got this on vinyl, it only contains the first disc's worth of songs. At least it's the better half.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:26 am 

I'm necro-threading this again since Deceased have delivered again. This time it's a cover album consisting of only thrash bands. And of course I wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't for the choices being something else than the usual Metallicas, Slayers and Exoduses... Instead they cover songs by Whiplash, Blessed Death, Sacrifice, Stone, Artillery, Razor, Voivod, Darkness, Cyclone, Rigor Mortis, Deathwish and Bulldozer:

https://the-true-deceased.bandcamp.com/ ... emont-high

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:50 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Not to necro-thread, but I found this interesting idea of a tribute album: "A tribute album, where the band covers selected tracks from the eight volume Metal Massacre compilation series released by Metal Blade Records in the 1980's".

Reading more on Bandcamp, it seems those compilations where quite a big deal for metal fans in the US back in the day:
Spoiler: show
The eight volumes of "Metal Massacre" released by Metal Blade Records in the 1980s were massively instrumental in chronicling (and furthering) the burgeoning heavy metal movement, particularly in the United States. Here, the earliest songs of Slayer and Ratt, for example, stood side by side each other as a declaration of intent: that HEAVY METAL was here, and it was here to stay. Those who grew up in the '80s and heard these compilations have fond memories of them, as each song was almost always exclusive and almost always exciting - a new stone to unturn, a new head to bang.

For the members of OCTOBER 31, these compilations are so cherished and enduring that they've recorded a covers album comprising songs all exclusively on these comps, appropriately titled "Metal Massacre 31." For over 20 years now, OCTOBER 31 are no strangers to the heavy metal fight, so it's a no-brainer that the US quintet would reverentially cover the revered likes of Omen, Hallow's Eve, Sacred Blade, and America's Tyrant alongside the more obscure likes Aloha, War Cry, Final Warning, and Canada's Death Dealer among others. From early, more melodically inclined traditional metal to heads-down proto-thrash and speed metal, OCTOBER 31 cover all bases on "Metal Massacre 31," rendering the record a veritable time-machine back to the early-to-mid '80s. However, with erstwhile DECEASED frontman (and scene legend) King Fowley on the mic, the band brims with the confidence and elan to make these songs their own - or, at least, songs that could easily be among their original repertoire - serving as a fully satisfying stopgap album before their next full-length for HELLS HEADBANGERS. All you metal merchants, step forth and prepare for OCTOBER 31's "Metal Massacre 31"

Not to mention it's always interesting to here songs from various styles being covered by another. And of course that the original songs are not by the most famous bands, who have already been covered a million times. And people who liked the Deceased cover album in the first post of this thread will probably like this one too.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/O ... _31/611617
https://october31st.bandcamp.com/album/ ... assacre-31

Metal Massacre 31 is GREAT!!! As is the Judas Priest tribute pictured at the start of the thread. Kreator's cover of GRINDER is AWESOME!

PansexualTrans
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:37 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Graveyard Classics vol 2

The only correct answer :-D

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:54 pm 

Not a metal album, but I recommend The Clash - Burning London tribute album. There are some straight-forward renditions, Rancid does Cheat, MXPX does Janie Jones, but one unexpected highlight was the female vocalist doing Straight to Hell, which changes the orientation and perspective of the song and reorients it away from a white man's lament about colonial-era legacies of various types.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:13 am 

The Judas Priest was OK, there are about 10 covers that are really good. Gamma Ray's in particular are stellar, both of them. I also really liked Forbidden's version of Dissident Aggressor, which I think destroys the Slayer version.

The Dio one is also quite good, esp. Solitude Aeturnus' version of Shame on the Night is GODLY.

Garage Days is great and so is half of the new stuff on Garage Inc.

Some good ones on the Sabbath one, which is the first I remember actually. The Venom one was very disappointing, considering the names involved.

I thought the King Diamond and Slayer ones were terrible personally.

The Spaghetti Incident was almost terrible but is saved by 3 tracks; Ain't it Fun, which is by far my favorite, Down in the Farm and Raw Power.

Gotta check the Deceased/October 31 compilations eventually...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:49 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
The Dio one is also quite good, esp. Solitude Aeturnus' version of Shame on the Night is GODLY.

I'd never heard this before. This was awesome; thanks for sharing!

Lowe is truly one of the greatest metal vocalists ever, IMO. His vocals portray the perfect combination of majesty and grit.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:21 pm 

Absolutely agreed. I fell in love with his voice on Mirror of Sorrow and Destiny Falls to Ruin, which were my first SA songs, just incredibly beautiful. Went into my top 5 right then and there. Then he stopped singing high and added the grit but also brought that damn power, which is just as impressive. His performance on this cover demonstrates this 100%. It's earth shattering.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:48 pm 

Going to unearth this thread just because I enjoyed this cover, and want to share it, but also don't feel like a new thread is needed.

Quite a good take on one of Moonspell's best songs.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:21 am 

The Hounds of Hasselvander "Ancient Rocks" (dig that title) is a very cool album that see's Joe team up with bassist Martin Swaney of Death Row and Pentagram fame to cover some old classics from The Troggs, Trooper, The Pretty Things, Bang, Boomerang, Jerusalem, Bob Seger, Damnation of Adam Blessing and Humble Pie.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:02 am 

The Thergothon tribute album has some interesting covers, and given how short it is, the entire discography gets covered, down to the obscure demos :P
https://solitudeproductions.bandcamp.co ... thergothon
large image:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2