Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:03 pm 

What are some artists that can rival metal bands in terms of heaviness, aggression, speed, themes/lyrics etc. Something with a harder edge than most music.

Some from the top of my head:
Johnny Cash: heavier in a much different way, I was absolutely blown away by Ain't No Grave when I first heard it
Demented Are Go: campy horror gimmick backed with punkish & rock 'n roll leanings, sparked my interest in psychobilly
Swans: loud, psychedelic, surreal & heavy as fuck, if only 'drone/ambient metal' was this compelling
GosT/Pertubator: indifferent to synth overall but they have some good moments here & there, plus the metal aesthetic is a nice bonus
Necro: not much into his stuff nowadays; filthy rap with some noticeable (death) metal influence in the lyrics & artwork
Death Grips: again currently not much into their stuff but I remember enjoying them a lot
Combichrist: because DMC

Looking forward to your contribution!

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:26 pm 

I'm going to throw something totally weird out here: Pennywise. I'm talking specifically about only the debut here though, I never cared for anything else they did. The album is definitely a punk album - no doubt about it, but the way the guitars are played vary quite differently from so many other punk bands. Rather than fast chord progressions and recurring passages, they had this really energetic riffing style. Sometimes the riffs could loosely resemble speed metal riffs with their fast palm muted single note passages rather than constant punk chord progressions. It's one of my favorite punk albums but I always couldn't help but think to myself "this is a really metal-ish punk album!". Here's an example: https://youtu.be/7Y_j9Rn5v28 A few of those riffs, with a beefier guitar tone and more metal structure could totally make a cool speed metal track.

Of course, I may just be crazy, but that's how I see it.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:19 pm 

There must be many. You may want to check out Zeni Geva (Japan's Swans), Big Black, Unsane, Naked City (John Zorn's Napalm Death phase) or even stuff like Dom & Roland - Soundwall VIP or Technical Itch Ruckus (aggressive dance music). Talking of, Aphex Twin We have Arrived Remix is another one. Wagner for heroic epicness that makes Manowar shiver in their furry boots.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:28 pm 

Some folk music groups, like Wardruna and Tenhi, can be oppressive, dark, haunting, yet beautiful, like many a metal band. They're even categorized as metal in many record shops and whatnot

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:29 pm 

I'm gonna say Sum 41, and I know I might not make friends by saying this. But I remember listening to the album Does This Look Infected? back in high school, and this album specifically was heavier then their previous records and regardless of how pop their sound was, their approach to punk was more metallic on this album, and it shows in tracks like Still Waiting and The Hell Song. Their track entitled Pain For Pleasure from the album All Killer, No Filler was also a voluntary tribute to heavy/speed metal.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:32 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm gonna say Sum 41, and I know I might not make friends by saying this. But I remember listening to the album Does This Look Infected? back in high school

I found this album in my closet last month, buried by some debris. Popped it on and had the time of my life! :lol:

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:37 pm 

I remember listening to the track Caravanserai by Loreena McKennitt 6 or 7 years ago for the first time in an economy class. And one of my buddies of the time and I both thought that the song structure was very metal. The sound really isn't metal, but the lyrics and the way the verses, bridges and the chorus are writen and follow each other with the general build-up of the track reminded me of metal with strong focus on melody, mostly vocal melody, and with the music writen around the vocals. So a lot of symphonic metal, some power metal, even some prog/power metal, some epic folk, etc.

Tell me what you think:

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm gonna say Sum 41, and I know I might not make friends by saying this. But I remember listening to the album Does This Look Infected? back in high school

I found this album in my closet last month, buried by some debris. Popped it on and had the time of my life! :lol:

It's a fun record, seriously. Probably their most consistent two. I still like to give it a spin every now and then.

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:38 pm 

Esham was/is more metal than most metal bands can imagine being. His lyrics dealt with ghetto hell and hunger in a way that has yet to be better expressed. Stands up even today as something different, other, and quite possibly evil.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-xejNhKLM_w

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:55 pm 

Nick Cave, including The Birthday Party. The Birthday Party fits the bill more closely in terms of sonic intensity, but I find Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds to be more harrowing emotionally. Not that they don't get loud and fairly abrasive from time to time, but it's their emotional heft that most resembles what I get from metal.

The Cure are also in that category. Now, there's The Cure and there's The Cure, so to speak; I am not talking about the one who did 'Mint Car' and 'Friday I'm in Love'. I'm talking about the one who did 'One Hundred Years', 'The Kiss', 'Disintegration', and many other soul-draining tunes. Of course, the kind of metal this comes closest to is doom; tell me you can't imagine earlier Katatonia doing an awesome version of 'One Hundred Years'.

An astute person mentioned Tenhi earlier; he is absolutely right. Seriously, this band is wonderful, beautiful, sorrowful, and haunting, and a lot more people ought to listen to them.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:56 pm 

As far as non-metal artists that capture the FEEL and SPIRIT of heavy fucking metal? Blue Oyster Cult. Now. Forever. Blue Oyster Cult.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
As far as non-metal artists that capture the FEEL and SPIRIT of heavy fucking metal? Blue Oyster Cult. Now. Forever. Blue Oyster Cult.

:nods:

Also, I forgot to mention KANSAS. For the love of all that is holy, why is Kansas so neglected in metal circles? DUDE. These guys may be known for just "Carry on Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind" among non-fans, but behind those already awesome singles lies a career in the 70's that only bands like Rush can top. They were one of the grandfathers of prog metal (in my mind) and had massive influence on the heavier, more progressive forms of rock. In their early years, they were straight up heavy as hell. Parts of Masque could probably be classified as proto-metal and if they had an entire album full of songs like this: https://youtu.be/oxHMmv9aZyo, I think they'd even be close to eligible for an entry here. Other noteworthy, heavier Kansas songs below:
https://youtu.be/lZgUsycp9iw, https://youtu.be/Kesio4k-dMU, https://youtu.be/PZ3ezVBRtCY, https://youtu.be/7bhdgxmii-c, https://youtu.be/9DoGF0Ci9JI

I gush about them every other week it seems, but sorry, I had to.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:05 pm 

Any number of punk/hardcore bands would qualify- and I'm talking about the classic 80's ultra-fast noisy stuff; too many to list but, well, Discharge, Minor Threat, and Anti-Cimex for starters. Sum-41 and Pennywise are good bands, and I like them both a lot, but most of their stuff is a bit too melodic and pop-ish for me to associate with metal.

About 70's bands, you mentioned Kansas, I'd take Blue Oyster Cult and some bands that everyone considers to be the forerunners of metal like Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, the Stooges, or Kiss.

When first I heard the Swans and some similar artists like Laibach, I thought it was some of the pure noisiest and most extreme music that existed, ever. In fact, the first Napalm Death track I heard, Evolved as One, I thought "That sounds like the Swans."

I respect the Cure for their music, a lot of it is well written, but I just ever got past Robert Smith's vocals.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:05 pm 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zf--ISBmLno

How about Kontrust? That also happens to be my favorite music video ever made.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:06 pm 

This will be a weird one, but I got into Ultravox because someone on RYM described them as the "most metal" new wave/post-punk band. That sounded interesting so I checked them out and didn't really understand the connection at first. They're probably more synth-oriented and Kraftwerk-influenced than a lot of the classic bands actually, but after a few listens I got it. Particularly it's the Midge Ure-era stuff, from Vienna through the next few albums. He brought a bit more edge to the band and catchy guitar-oriented hooks, possibly helped by his previous association with Thin Lizzy, and also had a fanciful upper-range voice that appeals to my metal sensibilities much more than the punkier and gothier frontmen from the time. Their slower and more atmospheric songs are the closest thing I know of mood-wise to stuff like Queensryche's Rage for Order (e.g. Neue Regel) or Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry, that kind of 80s introspection with an obsession/fear with a world changing technologically, yet they also had a habit of ending an album with one of the fastest and shortest songs (like, All Stood Still plays a Dyer's Eve to Vienna's AJFA) rather than the obligatory moody slower song that a Duran Duran or Talking Heads might.

EDIT: Just discovered that Edguy had apparently covered Ultravox's Hymn. I haven't heard the cover, but I can immediately hear in my head how it might work in a power metal context. Big vocal melodies with a classical bent is what makes a lot of great Ultravox songs.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:16 pm 

Any hip hop in the realm of Ill Bill and Vinnie Paz. Yeah it's dorky fat white dudes acting hard but they are both excellent with lyrics, very militant delivery and underground metal references. All the side projects are worth a listen. It's the only hip hop I get into:

Circle of Tyrants
Jedi Mind Tricks
Heavy Metal Kings
Kill Devil Hills
La Coka Nostra
Army of the Pharaohs

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 pm 

Dismanda.galas more intense and chaotic than many metal bands...

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:23 pm 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ruh0KyRdte0

I just remembered that ska punk band Five Iron Frenzy was influenced by metal.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:23 pm 

Along with the already mentioned Blue Oyster Cult, I'd add Nazareth too. Albums like Expect No Mercy or Hair of the Dog feature quite excellent hard rock that was quite heavy. And the singer had one mean voice too. Expect No Mercy had a fucking Metal album artwork too.

Spoiler: show

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:50 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
The Cure are also in that category. Now, there's The Cure and there's The Cure, so to speak; I am not talking about the one who did 'Mint Car' and 'Friday I'm in Love'. I'm talking about the one who did 'One Hundred Years', 'The Kiss', 'Disintegration', and many other soul-draining tunes. Of course, the kind of metal this comes closest to is doom; tell me you can't imagine earlier Katatonia doing an awesome version of 'One Hundred Years'.

Seconding all of this. Expected to see this mentioned sooner or later, this band was a bit of an influence on some black metal, I think. Varg, for instance, mentioned gothic bands like The Cure and Das Ich were influences in an interview. You do know Tribulation did a cover of One Hundred Years by the way? It's pretty good.

the_bogan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:42 pm 

Our Lady Peace - Gravity.

With the exception of a couple of songs, the intensity and feel of doom

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:29 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Also, I forgot to mention KANSAS. For the love of all that is holy, why is Kansas so neglected in metal circles? DUDE. These guys may be known for just "Carry on Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind" among non-fans, but behind those already awesome singles lies a career in the 70's that only bands like Rush can top. They were one of the grandfathers of prog metal (in my mind) and had massive influence on the heavier, more progressive forms of rock.

Well, they had an influence on metal, so yeah, obviously they are "kind of" metal in the way they write and perform their own unique brand of prog rock. I really like their Leftoverture album, but most of their other material is really hit or miss for me. Masque has some good tracks. Same for Point Of Know Return.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:44 pm 

I've always been surprised more metalheads aren't into Billy Talent. They have killer riffs and guitar tones, tons of emotion/aggression and are just extremely talented songwriters. I listen to their first two regularly, even though I listen to metal 99% of the time it has the same sort of energy.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:46 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I've always been surprised more metalheads aren't into Billy Talent. They have killer riffs and guitar tones, tons of emotion/aggression and are just extremely talented songwriters. I listen to their first two regularly, even though I listen to metal 99% of the time it has the same sort of energy.

They were on the Heavy MTL 2015 edition, and they had quite a large audience that came to see them live. I think a lot of metalheads do like them.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:45 am 

I totally agree with Swans, The Cure and Laibach! Swans is one of the heaviest bands I've ever seen live, really crushing! I'm going to avoid naming punk/hardcore/noise bands, so I'll go with less obvious genres and bands. First one that comes to my mind is The Wildhearts, perfect example!

Shoegaze can get pretty heavy sometimes. I can think of Catherine Wheel, Swervedriver and most recently, My Vitriol: good riffs and heavy atmospheres. And of course, MBV are really LOUD. It's quite funny how black metal and shoegaze came around during the same years and had a similar approach in terms of atmosphere and guitar sound (albeit the obvious differences, of course). Even funnier is that most recently, the whole "blackgaze" scene merged the two genres into something cohesive!

A lot of gothic rock bands also get really heavy. I can think of Sisters of Mercy's Vision Thing, an album full of killer hard rock/glam riffs. Also, Fields of the Nephilim is a really borderline metal band: Mourning Sun has a lot of moments that can fall under the gothic metal genre. That must be a consequence of McCoy's spin off band The Nefilim (Zoon is an amazing death/industrial/gothic/whatever album, listed here in the archives). Also, a lot of bands from the third wave of gothic rock have heavy metal-esque riffs, like Nosferatu.

Some progressive rock gets heavy once in a while. Rush is an obvious mention (well, they are here on the archives), but bands like Magma, King Crimson or and even Yes have some heavy moments! As for newer bands in the genre, Porcupine Tree is an obvious mention (though I find their "metal" riffs really hideous). The Mars Volta and Muse got some pretty heavy moments, specially Muse!

Also, lots of electronic music is really heavy in it's own way. I know a lot of metalheads who enjoy trance or psytrance and I understand why: it's fast paced, has very good synth/bass lines and it sometimes samples a lot of metal riffs. I personally love techno music, the darker the better! Artists like Xhin or Tommy Four Seven have amazing albums with a very dark and oppresing atmosphere. Also, lots of electronic/industrial rock bands have heavy moments, like Nine Inch Nails, Health, The Prodigy

I was forgetting about post-rock, really heavy and emotional stuff, and sometimes even good and heavy riffing! Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai (Glasgow Mega-Snake!!!), God is an Astronaut, Russian Circles...

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 am 

A lot of aggrotech/ebm/industrial (whatever you want to call it, there are more names for it than there are metal subgenres) is incredibly heavy and the only thing that comes close to the heaviness of metal for me. Even a lot of the light sounding stuff sounds pretty heavy to me in its own way. Here are a few choice tracks.

Phosgore - Contagion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDbBq2X4JM

Noisuf-X - The Typical Fuck You Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEBsEjCYou8

Hocico - Spirits of Crime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCJ4ybc6g4

Tactical Sekt - VX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLt5zpGUVk

Unter Null - Amped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmzAJ0kpkbE

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 am 

Some gothic rock bands like Fields of the Nephilim and early Christian Death.

Also I'd say the modern composer Jocelyn Pook, her stuff has a really dark larger than life feel to it that mirrors alot of the metal I listen too. https://youtu.be/go4E4tNGQks

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:00 am 

Jethro Tull, of course.

Obey the dolphin!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:19 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Some folk music groups, like Wardruna and Tenhi, can be oppressive, dark, haunting, yet beautiful, like many a metal band. They're even categorized as metal in many record shops and whatnot

This happens(sadly) because most of the people who buy their albums are metalheads, while other people who may like this music ignore them.

Chelsea Wolf´s recent output is pretty metal to me.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 am 

TrueDynamite wrote:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=zf--ISBmLno

How about Kontrust? That also happens to be my favorite music video ever made.

They are great and funny as f*ck haha. I woul count them too.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:26 am 

Chelsea Wolfe is beyond amazing, of course. Diamanda Galas, someone mentioned her already by way of misspelling her name. She is the original vocal terror. It is more of a 'feel' thing though than technique. What she conjures with those "songs" is undeniably extreme.

ashenone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 am 

Death Grips have a lot of metal influences on their music. The lead figure is a big fan of 'Revenge' too

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:17 am 

The noise/experimental hip-hop trio dälek is definitely worth mentionning. They have these bleak and ominous beats saturated with distortion and they have amazing lyrics and great flow. The lyrics mostly have political and social themes. The way they mix their dark, committed and socially conscious lyrics over these beats makes them very metal in the soul.

They've also toured with various metal bands for a while. If I'm correct, they have toured with ISIS.

dälek - Distorted Prose

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:36 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
The noise/experimental hip-hop trio dälek is definitely worth mentionning. They have these bleak and ominous beats saturated with distortion and they have amazing lyrics and great flow. The lyrics mostly have political and social themes. The way they mix their dark, committed and socially conscious lyrics over these beats makes them very metal in the soul.

They've also toured with various metal bands for a while. If I'm correct, they have toured with ISIS.

dälek - Distorted Prose

I have never like hip-hop but they have some tracks with an strong atmosphere and melodies that remind me some metal bands:

The last part of this one is amazing:

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:11 am 

16 Horsepower comes to mind. I guess their music is usually described as alternative country mixed with rock. Whatever it is, the melancholic, moody atmosphere matches that of any black metal band. Hell, some of their riffs could easily pass for black metal, like the one at 0:59 in the song below.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:41 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Any number of punk/hardcore bands would qualify- and I'm talking about the classic 80's ultra-fast noisy stuff; too many to list but, well, Discharge, Minor Threat, and Anti-Cimex for starters.

you're right in this regard, but can't forget to mention the true fucking SHITLICKERS.

they only had two 7"s out, totaling less than 10 minutes playtime, but in terms of sheer aggression and pissed-offness, hardly any metal beats them.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:05 am 

for some immolation & nile vibes from well before iommi had written his first metal riff:

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:54 am 

Jim Carey, Nicholas Cage and Hugh Jackman :evil:

"You make it easy."

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:37 am 

Butthole Surfers for sure. Especially the albums "Locust Abort Technician" and "Independent Worm Saloon."

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:52 am 

Cardiacs

UK prog-punk band that basically takes the intensity of metal and casts it onto the forms of British pop and prog. Napalm Death were famously fans (even covered them)

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:55 am 

Not a very original answer I guess, but I've got to mention Led Zeppelin. I get a bigger "heavy metal feeling" from this than from most HM songs:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next