Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:22 pm 

Anyone remember them? I used to sometimes buy issues back when I was in high school (early 2000's, that is). Neither of the magazines exist anymore, and it doesn't surprise me - they both had shitty layout, especially Circus - and I've always heard rumors that they made their interviews up. Now, I'm not sure about that, but I do remember that some times they would repeat interviews (I mean, post the same interview in different issues). I also remember that though it was supposed to be a rock magazine, Circus would sometimes feature interviews with people like Moby and Eminem. And I basically bought them for the posters, as every other page would be a pinup. And both of them would feature the same bands every month, even when there was no reason to. Needless to say, I don't miss those magazines... :p

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:47 pm 

I remember buying Circus during the very early 90s. They were still covering hair metal/cock rock mostly then.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:47 pm 

I remember those two magazines from the 80s but didn't really read 'em- they mostly covered stuff like Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Cinderella, Warrant, etc- you know, that sort of band. Stuff that I mostly found boring. I liked Metal Forces and read that when I could (sometimes the issues were hard to find in the US) but in the end, they, too, quit being an exclusively "metal" magazine like they were in the beginning, and started featuring bands like, well, Moby and Eminem- bands who had nothing to do with metal.

Everflowingstream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:55 pm 

Remember them from the 80s. Never bought them as they were for cock rock fans.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:15 pm 

I had a subscription to Circus back in the early 00s because they were covering basically nothing but hip nu metal at the time and that was my fuckin' jam when I was a preteen. My bedroom wall was covered in those full page pinups of Slipknot, Mudvayne, Staind, SOAD, et cetera. I don't actually remember a whole lot of the magazine's content though. Maybe one interview with System of a Down where they said they didn't mean to make an all Armenian band and it was purely coincidence which I thought was pretty stupid, but that's it.

They're gone now? Oh well, at least they're forever immortalized in this super cringey Guns n Roses song where Axl calls out the editors of Circus, Hit Parader, Kerrang, etc by name, calls them pussies, and challenges them all to a fight.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:47 pm 

Yeah, they never had a whole lot of metal. I have a big box of issues of these from the 70s because they at least covered some nonmetal stuff I listen to (like David Bowie, Queen, etc.). In the 80s they had a lot of shitty cock rock and hair bands. I remember buying them in the early 90s and they'd occasionally have some stuff on Metallica, Megadeth, etc. but not a lot, also had grunge stuff when that was at the height of its popularity; the focus was always on whatever garbage was most popular at the time. They also published song lyrics (usually of shitty songs, but I remember clipping out some old Misfits lyrics/pictures and putting them on my wall once) in the days before the internet. Thankfully I got into metal zines after that and didn't have to rely on this crap.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:45 am 

Yep, those are entry-level magazines for entry-level fans of heavy metal/hard rock music. You can add Rip to the list. Thankfully a high school classmate of mine turned me on to Metal Maniacs and it became my guide to all things metal throughout the '90s prior to the internet age.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:00 am 

I remember getting Circus it and covering a lot of alt rock, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, etc. Don't remember there being metal coverage.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:57 am 

I used to buy them in the late 80s, also along with Song Hits, which was made by the same people as Hit Parader. They had tons of adds for merch, few interviews, lyrics, and mostly pictures. I think most pictures were eventually taken by Neil Zlozower.

With Metal Edge and RIP, this was all you could get around where I lived, until Metal Maniacs came along. MM was published by the same guys as Metal Edge, whereas RIP was published by Larry Flynt.

Of course there were also guitar magazines and I bought those as well, occasionally. Circus had small music columns, authored by the likes of Carmine Appice and other "serious" musicians.

I think HP had a list of top 100 metal songs of all time. There was lots of rubbish, but it turned me on to some good classic rock bands I wasn't familiar with yet. I think HP and Circus were actually cool in the 70s.

Once in a while I was able to find Metal Hammer and some French magazine whose name I forget.

In addition to the GNR song mentioned above, Pearl Jam's Blood also mentioned Spin and Circus.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:51 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
I remember getting Circus it and covering a lot of alt rock, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, etc. Don't remember there being metal coverage.

You probably caught the magazine from the mid-'90s and onward. But during the late '80s they covered a lot of the hair metal bands and then Guns 'N Roses and Metallica in the early '90s. They eventually shifted to alternative rock around the mid '90s when hair metal was all but gone and bands like Green Day and Seattle bands ruled the mainstream rock scene.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am 

In the mid 90's, Id read them at a grocery store, then finally subscribed to Metal Edge in the late 90's. It really went downhill, so I stopped probably in 2002. I even tried the pen pal thing, which was a big mistake.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm 

Hit Parader was a pile of shit. Its "editor," Andy Secher, did all the interviews under fake names in the bylines. He would interview the bassist and drummer and say it was the singer and guitarist, because so many musicians refused to talk to him. He'd take foreign language interviews, translate them, and run them as his own. I worked in the industry back then and was told all of this by a former editor of another magazine.

Good riddance to that rag and to him.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 am 

Metal Edge was the greatest of them all.

Reply to topic