Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 am 

Anyone care that Blake Judd has reactived this band? I guess he needs more money. Not sure what his plans are but I'm getting sick of this guy.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:17 am 

Don't be afraid, N. Imperial's keyboard will strike him down!

Seriously, don't think he will made much money out of this, his reputation is too widespread and his records aged really badly

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:28 am 

Hysterical that the "separate the art from the artist" mantra that's flung about these parts to justify the proliferation of Nazism in metal is not applicable with this guy.

Flipping it, I don't give a fuck about Judd as a person. Don't care about the drug habit, don't care if he OD's tomorrow, don't care about the sordid rip-off history (I know better than to directly give this guy money).

By and large, Nachtmystium makes good music. Not every release is good (The World We Left Behind, and everything before Demise are completely terrible), but most are solid at worst, and I'd go so far to say that Assassins Part 1 was the best album released that year. I like most of the music, and that's pretty much that.

If something gets released, I'll buy a download from Amazon or Bandcamp (or something similar) something where I know I am gonna receive what I paid for. If nothing gets released, then oh well.

"I only care about the music, man!"
Obliteration

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:47 am 

The difference is that nazis haven't ripped off a considerable amount of people while showing little (if any) remorse. If you want to like Nachtmystium, go for it. I think Instinct: Decay is a great, great album. But I'd be lying if I said I had any interest in anything else Blake's done. Everything else he's been involved in is boring shit for people with 30 Amebix patches on one vest and who still use "kvlt" as an adjective. And yeah, on top of a largely boring musical output, he's a repeated scammer/fraud/liar and burned through any sympathy that should be extended to him years ago.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:10 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
his records aged really badly

As far as I know Nachtmystium's legacy is very important for black metal, specially in the American scene (which is in my opinion pretty strong these days), i'd say that's far from bad aging.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm 

I'm sure the inevitable social media circus that will follow will be entertaining enough.

As for the music, I guess I'll give it a try if I'm in the mood; after Instinct Decay I sort of lost interest. Still bought a couple of eps and an album but I can't remember what they sound like all that well.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm 

Whatever they come up with will be a giant pile of shit like everything else they've released since 2005.

LOC78SK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:25 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Hysterical that the "separate the art from the artist" mantra that's flung about these parts to justify the proliferation of Nazism in metal is not applicable with this guy.

A great observation and great point.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:50 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Hysterical that the "separate the art from the artist" mantra that's flung about these parts to justify the proliferation of Nazism in metal is not applicable with this guy

That is largely because most of the "Nazis" are just cringy LARPers, where as Judd is a well known, formerly well liked and prolific individual in the greater American black metal scene, and the prick consistently rips people off and pours out pathetic excuse after pathetic excuse. In other words: he has directly affected a lot of people in the general scene, where as the Nazi guys will likely have 0 impact on the general scene, other than being a ridiculous novelty.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:41 pm 

theposega wrote:
The difference is that nazis haven't ripped off a considerable amount of people while showing little (if any) remorse.

Because that's way worse than blatant racism?

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 pm 

when the dude has shown to be a blatent piece of shit over and over it's a little different than a lyrical theme i'd say.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:00 pm 

LOC78SK wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

A great observation and great point.

Yeah, I agree.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 pm 

to be 'fair', the dude was(?) a junkie. That's kind of what heroin addicts tend to do.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:32 pm 

Auch wrote:
theposega wrote:
The difference is that nazis haven't ripped off a considerable amount of people while showing little (if any) remorse.

Depends on what you mean by "blatant racism." If you mean simply having retarded drivel about wotan for lyrics, then undeniably. If you mean like actually going out and inciting and partaking in racial violence, then no. But AFAIK no nsbm band really does the latter. It's virtually all dumb, methed out infowars/Trump types who are scared of black people because they've never interacted with them on any meaningful level and/or take pride in their white skin because they have literally nothing else to take pride in.

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 pm 

Well, he's with Earache at the moment so it'll be interesting to see if he tries to pull the same shit with them.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 am 

Fourteen comments in this thread and not a single clever joke about cocaine? I feel pretty disapointed :nono:

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 am 

It's hard to separate musician from music when the quality of music is a direct reflection of his shitty personality/habbits. But it's great that we all take every opportunity we can, in every subject related or not, to bash nsbm - saving the world one post at a time lads.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:26 am 

Auch wrote:
theposega wrote:

I've supported NSBM and actually got my merch, unlike others that ordered Nachtmystium merch and never got it.

I mean holy fuck I just read his MA profile today.

Quote:
Blake Judd is a prolific scammer who collects money for merchandise and does not send it. This became highly publicized in early 2013 when Yosuke Konishi, owner of Nuclear War Now! Productions posted an announcement on his label's forum stating that Judd had offered to sell him the dead stock from his then defunct label, Battle Kommand Records, consisting of several hundred CDs and two test pressings of an Archgoat LP. It was also revealed that Hells Headbangers Records paid him for 490 CDs on September 11, 2012 which the label never received. Many fans also stated that they had been ripped off by him.

Judd acknowledge these accusations in a statement in November 2013 in which he announced Nachtmystium's split-up and admitted to his scamming, stating "As for the merch issues and money stuff, yeah, I've fucked up with a lot of you and for this I'm terribly sorry."

On October 5, 2013, Judd was arrested and retained on grounds of theft unrelated to the aforementioned ordeals, forcing Nachtmystium to cancel several shows. He was released on November 1st. His mugshot was used on a "Blakecrush" t-shirt distributed by foes, with a banner that read "Battlekommand Silence" and his likeness crossed out and surrounded by the phrases "no reply / no package / no refund / no shame" - a parody of the classic Deathlike Silence Productions which reads "no fun / no core / no mosh / no trends." Blakecrush later became the name of group of 1000+ fans who sought to publicize his scamming.

In 2014, he collected money for many orders of a new Nachtmystium album and never fulfilled them, leading to an acknowledgement of this by his label, Century Media, who promised to send copies of the album to anyone who ordered from Judd and did not receive the album, as well as announcing that they would no longer be working with him.

I pay for music. Some never even got that out of Blake Judd.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:21 am 

He's "terribly sorry" so all is well - get those preorders going :lol:

I'd completely forgotten he's on Earache now. If they try to rip each other off we could be in for something epic.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
the proliferation of Nazism in metal

The what?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:56 am 

you know the huge NSBM scene? the stuff that gets played on the radio!

Here to say that Instinct: Decay goes really goddamn hard to this day.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 am 

Yeah I hear Granatus is headlining Wacken this year.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:01 pm 

theposega wrote:
Auch wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "blatant racism." If you mean simply having retarded drivel about wotan for lyrics, then undeniably. If you mean like actually going out and inciting and partaking in racial violence, then no. But AFAIK no nsbm band really does the latter. It's virtually all dumb, methed out infowars/Trump types who are scared of black people because they've never interacted with them on any meaningful level and/or take pride in their white skin because they have literally nothing else to take pride in.

The former is still pretty much worse, since it potentially encourages the spreading of the latter for listeners.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 pm 

Hahaha.

Judd isn't done yet. He won't be able to help himself. Don't be a sucker.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:30 am 

I've always found Blake Judd's case fascinating, especially the general BM reaction to him. A major part of Black Metal's ideology is the glorification and empowerment of Self over everything else: fuck God, fuck society, fuck you.

In this sense Judd's ripping off customers, fans, labels etc fits perfectly. Anyone committed to this strain of BM as some kind of actual way of approaching human relationships cannot, without laughable contradiction, be legitimately angry. In fact you should praise him - he represents BM ethics perfectly. If he robbed you, its because you are a fucking dupe, so more fool you, you untermensch.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 am 

^
Woah! This is edgier than the U2 guitarist!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:49 am 

LowlightOracle wrote:
I've always found Blake Judd's case fascinating, especially the general BM reaction to him. A major part of Black Metal's ideology is the glorification and empowerment of Self over everything else: fuck God, fuck society, fuck you.

In this sense Judd's ripping off customers, fans, labels etc fits perfectly. Anyone committed to this strain of BM as some kind of actual way of approaching human relationships cannot, without laughable contradiction, be legitimately angry. In fact you should praise him - he represents BM ethics perfectly. If he robbed you, its because you are a fucking dupe, so more fool you, you untermensch.

That's really dumb.

LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:18 am 

Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. I'm not advocating for the view, rather merely pointing out the contradiction of Nietzschean cry-babies complaining about being ripped off by someone who represents their own ideals better than they do.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:31 am 

This gross misinterpretation of Nietzsche's philosophy can happen only if you learn it from facebook posts...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:53 am 

LowlightOracle wrote:
Nietzschean cry-babies.

Who?

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:23 am 

NSBM will never have a real-world effect on anything ever. Any concern about it is moralizing, virtue-signaling nonsense. Raising this issue simply will not do a single bit of good from now until eternity.

As for "separate the art from the artist", is there actually anyone who has not done that in this case? I've never heard "don't listen to Nachtmystium because Blake Judd is a piece of shit". I guess some people - including me - would not buy his music even if it was a safe buy (e.g. digital), but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the art. And as for NSBM, I just don't see a reason to not give a guy some money to show appreciation and encouragement if he has made good music just because he has some shitty views.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:52 am 

LowlightOracle wrote:

I don't see what lying to and ripping off your fanbase in order to fuel a drug addiction has to do with personal empowerment or glorification or the black metal aesthetic at all to be honest. Fuck God and fuck society? Just because someone rejects organized religion doesn't mean they support dishonesty and thievery. Remaining moral in the absence of God is the real way of saying fuck society, not by stealing from the people trying to support you.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:03 am 

Rasha_yad wrote:
As for "separate the art from the artist", is there actually anyone who has not done that in this case? I've never heard "don't listen to Nachtmystium because Blake Judd is a piece of shit". I guess some people - including me - would not buy his music even if it was a safe buy (e.g. digital), but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the art.

Good point, but the original was a cheeky, complacent strawman that can be refuted with the waving of a hand anyway.

Rasha_yad wrote:
And as for NSBM, I just don't see a reason to not give a guy some money to show appreciation and encouragement if he has made good music just because he has some shitty views.

Some view NSBM as a cancer in a scene that they support, and want to actively oppose it, and for others, it simply goes much beyond "some shitty views".

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:09 am 

LowlightOracle wrote:

We've got a real Stirnerite here bois. Look out for the S P O O K P A T R O L, untermensch!
Spoiler: show

Rasha_yad wrote:
NSBM will never have a real-world effect on anything ever. Any concern about it is moralizing, virtue-signaling nonsense. Raising this issue simply will not do a single bit of good from now until eternity.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Shutting down all criticism of NS metal's effects on the metalhead community as "moralizing" and "virtue-signaling" shows a lack of understanding on how ideas are spread. While I agree the Antifa paranoia about typical BM themes is indeed ridiculous, don't act like NSBM isn't a problem at all because they're just "dumb, methed out infowars/Trump types", because then you're giving them space.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 am 

I don't see how NSBM scene is a problem at all, if anything, being laughed at is the only achievement they could boast of, along with bronies and furries

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am 

The NSBM stuff is very insignificant, but if your conclusion is it's cool to listen to it because of that, I personally find that fucking ridiculous. No worth at all in that stuff to me.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:43 am 

blackmantram wrote:
I don't see how NSBM scene is a problem at all, if anything, being laughed at is the only achievement they could boast of, along with bronies and furries

Yeah but unlike bronies and furries, the NSBM scene has been having increasingly popular and influential political parties in their countries who share their views (though obviously they aren't the cause of said increasing popularity and influence). And, you know, bronies and furries aren't necessarily advocates of racial violence who seek to affect their political scene and stuff...

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The NSBM stuff is very insignificant, but if your conclusion is it's cool to listen to it because of that, I personally find that fucking ridiculous. No worth at all in that stuff to me.

What does one thing have to do with the other anyway? Even if NSBM where a real problem I couldn't deny that, for example, Nokturnal Mortum has released some of the best folk/black metal albums out there despite their strong affiliation with NS and racial ideologies, and, unless it was punishable by law or something, I wouldn't avoid listening to it.
Yeah, I'm one of those "to each its own" or "learn to sepparate the artist from his art" guys, because it is what works better for me.
Let's take another example outside the cliched NSBM one. Pensees Nocturnes: that childish rant the guy did when one of his albums got leaked was absolutely ridiculous, then when he decided to release the next album in a very limited amount like he was taking some sort of revenge against his fans it was the cherry on the pie. I still isten to Vacuum because it's one hell of an album, no matter how much of a toxic faggot I think his creator is.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:55 pm 

LowlightOracle wrote:

If you glorify and empower your self over everything else then I think it's no contradiction to be more concerned with where your own money goes than with the representations of BM ethics that you did not invent and give you pretty much nothing.

Omni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:30 pm 

I remember when I used to post on the old Full Moon Productions forums and Blake Judd was a member and he made several statements in support of white supremacy and NS ideologies. The fact that he became a scammer later on is funny to me, because I've never cared about him or his music. He was obviously a loser back then and he still is now.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next