Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:38 am 

Wode will release their third album, Burn In Many Mirrors, through 20 Buck Spin on April 2, 2021

Tracklisting:
1. Lunar Madness
2. Serpent's Coil
3. Fire in the Hills
4. Sulphuric Glow
5. Vanish Beneath
6. Streams of Rapture (I, II, III)

Vanish Beneath has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

I'm really excited for this. I think Wode are one of the best British black metal bands going right now, and both their self-titled album and Servants of the Countercosmos are great. This song has a bit of a black'n'roll flavor to it, which is interesting. I believe their press release indicated there would be some more traditional heavy metal elements on this new album so I'm looking forward to hearing how they incorporate them into their sound.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:34 am 

Regarding the cover artwork, is that the same artist as on Grave Miasma's album?

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:37 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Regarding the cover artwork, is that the same artist as on Grave Miasma's album?

Archives says Grave Miasma was done by Denis Forkas Kostromitin and this one is by Santiago Caruso.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:37 pm 

The second single is out:

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:09 pm 

I don't get the hype. It's no different musically from Satyricon's Now Diabolical. Is it the reverb on the vocals that makes it "legit"?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 pm 

The third single is out:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:30 am 

20 Buck Spin has uploaded the full album stream:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:31 pm 

I've been listening to this quite a bit and I think it's one of the best black metal (or blackened death metal) releases so far this year. They managed to pack a lot of different ideas into each song without making them sound disjointed and out of place. I really dig the trad metal elements they added in and there are some genuine surprises in there (like the synth intro to Streams of Rapture).

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:56 am 

I'm on the verge of liking this. I'm really picky about my black metal, and this has a lot of things I like, such as better production, ballsier guitar tone, some higher-tuned tom fills, but the only song that quite sold me was "Fire in the Hills". This is definitely one I hope to revisit again though.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:01 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm on the verge of liking this. I'm really picky about my black metal, and this has a lot of things I like, such as better production, ballsier guitar tone, some higher-tuned tom fills, but the only song that quite sold me was "Fire in the Hills". This is definitely one I hope to revisit again though.

Have you listened to the new Ferriterium? I think you may enjoy it, I get a similar vibe but a bit more epic, fast paced and melodic.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:20 am 

I hadn't, but I gave it a go last night. I'm not sure if it gets better as it goes along or I just acclimated to them eventually, but it was a little better than I had anticipated by the end.

Black metal guitar tone is a curious thing for me, and often my biggest hang-up with the genre. I'm not into the standard lo-fi washed-out one, but that essentially has the hi-fi version of that. Rarely do they compete with the DM bands for chunkiness, and in my listening at least it's rare to find the more atmospheric ones without starting to revert back to the more raw sound. So they often exist in this in-between world that often doesn't work for me.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:56 pm 

Wode isn't really a pure black metal band, especially on this album. Some of the band members play in the speed/thrash band Aggressive Perfector and I think that project has rubbed off on Wode when it comes to the writing for this record in particular. There are a lot of anthemic melodies and catchy riffs on this one and they're as adept at the mid-paced stomp as they are at going full speed with all guns blazing.

Reply to topic