Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 am 

Ulcerate is putting out the long-awaited follow-up to Shrines of Paralysis, to be released in April 24. 2020:

http://www.ulcerate-official.com/

They put the title track up as a premier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk73dP ... e=youtu.be

There's an obvious melodic bent to their style on this one. Otherwise it's a clear continuation of the previous album.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:10 am 

That new song is amazing. Loving the new melodic and melancholic approach.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:21 am 

This band can do no wrong in my eyes. I enjoy everything they've released so far. Definitely one of my favourite bands of recent (kinda) times.
Very much looking forward to this.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:32 am 

The new single sounds better and much more successful, than their last 2 albums failed together. In other words, this year it appears to be from Ulcerate.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:36 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Ulcerate is putting out the long-awaited follow-up to Shrines of Paralysis, to be released in April 24. 2020:

http://www.ulcerate-official.com/

They put the title track up as a premier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk73dP ... e=youtu.be

There's an obvious melodic bent to their style on this one. Otherwise it's a clear continuation of the previous album.

Sounds very blackened French too.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 am 

ThStealthP wrote:
The new single sounds better and much more successful, than their last 2 albums failed together. In other words, this year it appears to be from Ulcerate.

What?

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:36 am 

I couldn't get in to the latest albums because of the bad sound. Half the time I couldn't hear what the strings were doing so I don't even know how the songwriting was. This new song does sound better in that way. I've always liked Ulcerates approach to death metal, not shying away from slwoing it down and using atmosphere. I look forward to this and hope the end result won't be hurt by bad production again.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 am 

InnesI wrote:
I couldn't get in to the latest albums because of the bad sound. Half the time I couldn't hear what the strings were doing so I don't even know how the songwriting was. This new song does sound better in that way. I've always liked Ulcerates approach to death metal, not shying away from slwoing it down and using atmosphere. I look forward to this and hope the end result won't be hurt by bad production again.

Thanks Innesl, bad sound and for the high redundancy, boredom and monotony, a difference from their Everything is Fire and The Destroyers of All.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:14 pm 

If we're talking about bad sound, Everything Is Fire is the worst offender. That album souns very thin and flat, the guitars are one dimensional and the drums sound clicky and too mechanical. I'd get the sound of the two last albums over Everything Is Fire any time.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:30 pm 

I generally like everything they've done, but I definitely feel like they outdid themselves on The Destroyers of All. That album is incredible. This one definitely feels more in the vein of that release, so I'm hoping for the best. I do agree with the person in this thread who said that their production was way to muddled over the last two releases. I generally still liked those albums, but yeah, the production definitely made things harder to appreciate.

coupdebleus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:05 am 

I was kind of hoping for a return to the darker and more aggressive sound of Vermis, but they're so good at what they do that I won't care a bit if they go in the opposite direction.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 am 

Sick band, sick song. I'm down.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:32 am 

As good as everything they've done is, I really only listen to EiF. That was the one where they found themselves and reinvented death metal for a new era.

New song actually reminds me more of EiF's apocalyptic and doomy imminence. It's incredible. Beautiful guitar work, as always. Excited for this now.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:03 am 

ThStealthP wrote:
Thanks Innesl, bad sound and for the high redundancy, boredom and monotony, a difference from their Everything is Fire and The Destroyers of All.

Gravetemplar wrote:
If we're talking about bad sound, Everything Is Fire is the worst offender. That album souns very thin and flat, the guitars are one dimensional and the drums sound clicky and too mechanical. I'd get the sound of the two last albums over Everything Is Fire any time.

I get that one can think of Everything Is Fire as thin sounding, I don't have a problem with it but I understand it. However it is quite clear in that you can hear whats going on. My gripe with Shrines of Paralysis is that every time I try to get into it the first song starts and I can't atually make out much of what is being played. Mostly during the fast sections where the drums are overbearing and the choice made for the sound of the drums are just bad.

I'm sure the song are fine, the band is excellent, but I wish for a remix/remaster of that one album.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:20 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
I generally like everything they've done, but I definitely feel like they outdid themselves on The Destroyers of All. That album is incredible. This one definitely feels more in the vein of that release, so I'm hoping for the best. I do agree with the person in this thread who said that their production was way to muddled over the last two releases. I generally still liked those albums, but yeah, the production definitely made things harder to appreciate.

completely agreed on everything above - except i haven't gotten around to listening to the new track yet. i thought i was the only one that liked destroyers more than anything else they've released. the production on shrines is definitely too muddy, tho' it's still a fine album

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:31 am 

Sure, I have some complaints with Vermis and especially Shrines of Paralysis. The sound is very suffocating compared to what I consider their best albums, Everything is Fire and The Destroyers of All, and the music is even more dense, with less discernible thematic flow. It's harder to penetrate, but after 10-15 listens, it starts to make more sense, and it's easier to enjoy.

I'm not sure it's melody that they were missing, but I'm excited to see how it plays out. The premier song sounded much more readily enjoyable than the challenging Shrines of Paralysis. The production style seemed to remain similar, but it's not always easy to tell from YouTube uploads what the actual album will sound like.

As an aside, stuff from Shrines sounded absolutely excellent live. I think the album's production, and possibly the added number of guitar layers that are lacking or less audible live, smother the experience somewhat. Also, Shrines is still a fantastic album, and Vermis is also incredibly good, of course.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:02 am 

joppek wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:

completely agreed on everything above - except i haven't gotten around to listening to the new track yet. i thought i was the only one that liked destroyers more than anything else they've released. the production on shrines is definitely too muddy, tho' it's still a fine album

Destroyers is my favourite one as well but the last 3 albums are great imho. I don't mind the muddy production at all, I think it suits them. Sure, the drums could be a bit less loud and the dynamic range is terrible but I'd rather them sound a bit muddy than have a sterile overproduced sound like so many other technical death metal bands. In that sense I have a feeling they've always gone for a more extreme and underground approach.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 am 

This album, I consider it an excellent continuation of The Destroyers of All, not of Vermis, nor of Shrines of Paralysis.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 am 

Ilwhyan, which was the first album you heard from Ulcerate?

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:53 pm 

Great song, but all I can see in the cover art is a smiling clown face turned to the side throwing its hand up in the air like it's dancing. Anyone else see it??

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 am 

New song.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:43 pm 

I really like that, wow. This band continues to deliver death metal that is nearly unparalleled by any other band, they've definitely carved their own niche.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm 

Wow. This is fantastic.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:42 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
New song.

Much better and more successful than Vermis and Shrines of Paralysis as I said previously. Bye bye, bad era of Ulcerate.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:45 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't mind the muddy production at all, I think it suits them. Sure, the drums could be a bit less loud and the dynamic range is terrible but I'd rather them sound a bit muddy than have a sterile overproduced sound like so many other technical death metal bands. In that sense I have a feeling they've always gone for a more extreme and underground approach.

+1

I think their production suits them very well. As for the drum volume, at least you have a drummer as interesting as Jamie being turned up that loud - and his kit is quite clear. Mike's playing being less flashy on the lead-front and more atmospheric rhythms and chord arpeggiating plays into the eerie atmosphere they've got too, so this is an odd case where I don't think it's a major crime to have the guitar slightly quieter. It's not completely inaudible on any of their albums anyways - even on Vermis I think it sits very nicely in the mix. It's SUPPOSED to sound murky and misty, rather than ultra pristine and clear like "Insert typical and forgettable Necrophagist worship clone here"

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 pm 

Got the promo for this one the other day. It's fantastic. Everything that makes Ulcerate a staple in my musical diet is still there: the endless different textures of dissonance, suffocating, idiosyncratic atmosphere, Jamie Saint fucking Merat and everything he does...but it's got this extra melodic touch (that you can already hear in the first two tracks) that makes it addicting and almost accessible in a way that Ulcerate hasn't done before. The production is perfect: Shrines of Paralysis was muddy and overwhelming, good for what it was, but this is like Everything is Fire in that it's very crisp and organic sounding.

Sounds like they were listening to a lot of Blut Aus Nord or something which I am definitely not complaining about. FUCK. This is straight AOTY material right here and might be the best thing they've done after EiF. Y'all should be getting real hyped for this.

BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - Death? Prog? Melodic? iunno
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:22 pm 

It's already leaked (someone probably leaked the promo). It's also my album of the year so far, I've had the promo for some time and it's amazing. Stare into Death and Be Still + There Is No Horizon + Inversion are great, the best three songs of the album in a row.

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:17 pm 

*I'm almost done listening to the new album*

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:27 pm 

Definitely definitely much better and more successful than Vermis and Shrines of Paralysis. Improved, fresh, clean and at the same time organic production without being forced even a little, memorable and catchy riffs, also memorable and super distinguishable songs, beautiful atmosphere, sweet and friendly landscapes and deep emotions that are presented throughout the album, the vocals are at such a moderate and desirable level that they wish you would never stop singing and the drums on another level, while it is true that each song is super distinguishable from the other, there is also no feeling of incoherence or of being very far away and lost, at the end of finishing listening to the album, indirectly each song ended up forming a very beautiful puzzle. On the other hand and not least to end my opinion, I feel that the album literally has the best lyrics that Ulcerate has written in their entire career and easily the best album of their entire career too in all the aspects.

EDIT:
I feel like this album basically came out of no where too. They went back to what they were doing on their earlier work by focusing more on atmosphere and riffing than pure aggression last Shrines.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 am 

Streaming: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hear- ... d-be-still

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:47 am 

Amazing as always.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:57 am 

gave it a couple of spins today, and yeah, i'll be real surprised if this isn't on my aoty list come new year's - a definite improvement over the last two

RationalPriest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:38 pm 

AOTY.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:56 am 

I'll get a severe headache trying to decide between this and the new Wake album, but it's a delightful problem to have.
People complain time and again that there's no more interesting ideias left in extreme metal, that both black and death metal peeked in the early 90's and we're left with lesser clones. I'm glad albums like these pop up every now and again to show people that it's not necessarily the case.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 pm 

Refreshing...definitely will purchase this. I got all 6 of their CDs (including the release of 'The Coming of Genocide' compilation which combines their two demos). Aside from Nails and Blood Incantation they're the only death metal band interesting me lately. Ulcerate delivers in 2020. Cheers
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:52 pm 

AOTY.

overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:07 pm 

Sounds amazing. Went to buy limited vinyl as always....Almost $50! Ouch. Think I'll pass. Especially at a 300 limited. At that price, it should come with a shirt, signed merch or something extra. These companies are getting out of hand w/ vinyl pricing. This better be the nicest, high quality package in history for a 2X LP.

Edit: lol. Just noticed it's out of stock. Welp. If people will pay....

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:36 am 

Amazing indeed.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:33 am 

The whole album expands the melodic and melancholic sound they had already hinted on End the Hope from Shrines of Paralysis. End the Hope is my favourite Ulcerate song so I'm loving this so far. They are the best technical/experimental death metal band around imho. Even Gorguts don't stand a chance next to these guys, they almost have a perfect discography.

Shrines of Paralysis > The Destroyers of All = Stare into Death > Vermis > Everything Is Fire.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:40 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
The whole album expands the melodic and melancholic sound they had already hinted on End the Hope from Shrines of Paralysis. End the Hope is my favourite Ulcerate song so I'm loving this so far. They are the best technical/experimental death metal band around imho. Even Gorguts don't stand a chance next to these guys, they almost have a perfect discography.

Shrines of Paralysis > The Destroyers of All = Stare into Death > Vermis > Everything Is Fire.

No love for Of Fracture and Failure?! :???: Ok, so don't take the following on a personal level please, it's just my opinion.

I first came to hear Ulcerate in 2008-2009, and at the time I was extremely lucky to catch them live during a tour with Corpus Mortale, Grave, Krisiun and Nile. Absolutely fantastic tour that one, even if I was sick as a dog and it was raining like hell, plus we all nearly died in a car crash that night. But the best memory I still have of that night was of a friend on mine who's a drummer trying to take photos of the band only to find himself just staring at Jamie bashing the kit. I had spent the entire week before the show listening to OFaF and EiF and I nagged my friend to hell that he'd love the band. His "yeah yeah", was replaced by a solid "BY JOVE!!!" at the end of the show, so all in all that's my fondest memory of that day. Anyway, when TDoA came out it felt completely empty, but Autothrall said it better than I'll ever will. His review is pretty much my opinion on that record. After that I saw the band again on the Vermis tour and it was pretty clear to me that "old songs vs new songs" presented a divide in my personal taste. Still I've approached this record hoping that it'd give me something the band hasn't in years. And while it kind of does it also doesn't.

You see, I love the band's early output because it manages to be as chaotic as melodic. You guys all speak of the band being melodic as if it's something new when it isn't. There's always been a melodic flair in their sound, amidst all the chaos. Sure it's more prominent now, but at the expense of the chaos, of the tension. And that's pretty much what I miss in the band since, well, EiF. The fact that they can create something that goes from being incredibly atmospheric to blatantly violent is what made them a band to take into consideration for me, and it's what makes EiF one of my favourite albums to this day. I know people find different things in different eras of bands, but I really don't understand how in this band's discography EiF could be the weakest link. Sorry mate, I just don't get it. Also the comparison to Gorguts is way off. Of course Gorguts set the influence for this wave of dissonant bands, but remember how they started and how they evolved, and if anything else Gorguts became increasingly more complex with time. Ulcerate has become less and less complex, to the point where I find myself saying that "Jamie is playing slow on his snare" in this new album.

Bottom line, I actually want to like this new album. Except it keeps reminding me just how much the band has simplified its sound over the past decade and how they haven't managed to properly get over the summit they reached with EiF. But hey, I'm probably alone here since everyone is clearly loving this. To me, much like TDoA, it makes me feel little to nothing which is a shame.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next