Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:41 pm 

I remember it seemed like the record label Terratur Possessions (based in Trondheim a.k.a. "Nidaros"--hence the name of the scene) was trying to push this label to describe some of the black metal bands signed to the label or appearing at their "Nidrosian Black Mass" festival. Although the scene largely centers around Trondheim (of course), I think some Vanagandr bands are also connected with this scene, or at least there are some Icelandic bands that have also put out records under both Terratur and Vanagandr and have a similar sound. It seems like this scene tends to be cold, close to the second-wave influence, and sometimes has sprinklings of dissonance. Is anyone else a fan of these bands? All of what I've heard from this scene has been at least "solid." I still need to catch up with some of the most recent releases, like the new Mare and Sinmara albums.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:49 pm 

Nidrosian Black metal bands distance themself from second wave Black metal. I've read an interview where they stated that second wave black metal didn't reached their region hence that is why they weren't influenced by the puny puberty satanism and created a more dark and serious occult sound.

You can think of that what you want... For me its hard to believe that in the 90's some kids in Nidaros said "this new evil music is shit" while whole norway was listenig to the music.

Terratur has some good bands and some good albums but not all of them are good. For example thje last ONE TAIL ONE HEAD album was weak. Mare are better ones but don't win innovation prices. DODSENGEl are special, either you hatet hem or love them.

The guy from TP is very kind, he send me sold out patches just for promotion reasons because we wrote. Very humble.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:16 pm 

Yeah, the Terratur Possession guy seems cool. Very dedicated to his label. The 2017 Dodsengel album I thought was fine. Great production though, if i recall correctly. I agree this sound is more dark and serious than perhaps the usual second wave stuff. These bands and the TP guy seem to put effort into production, presentation, etc. in addition to the riffs.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:37 pm 

Not a great fan of the "Nidrosian" tag. "Cascadian black metal" wasn't really a thing either. Most of the band that tend to be described as "Nidrosian black metal" are great though.

- Bot Mare - Ebony Tower and One Tail, One Head - Worlds Open, Worlds Collide are excellent. Really love the DMDS vibe of the Mare album and the post punk/80s sound of the OTOH album. Some of the best contemporary black metal ever done. Misotheist are great too. Their second album is due this year if I'm not mistaken. Listen to this if you haven't. https://terraturpossessions.bandcamp.co ... t-and-soil

- Vemod are cool too but Venter på stormene should have been an EP, half the album is filler and each track has a different sound/production. They are not from Trondheim but they share members with Mare and One Tail, One Head. If they ever release a propper full length I'm sure it's going to be great.

- Whoredom Rife are OK. Their second album was better than the first one but they are my least favourite band from the scene. Still waiting for a Darvaza LP.

- Dodsengel are from Alesund, not Trondheim. Mirium occultum is great, the rest of their stuff is awful in my opinion. Worst clean vocals I remember in a black metal project.

Svartidaudi and Sinmara are two of my favourite black metal bands (most Icelandic black metal is great) but I wouldn't consider them to be "Nidrosian black metal" and I'm not sure they think of themselves as part of that scene either. They're just friends with most of the bands.

PS: If you want more great black metal that was released by Terratur Posessions check Misþyrming, Knokkelklang and Devouring Star.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:56 am 

Damballah wrote:
Nidrosian Black metal bands distance themself from second wave Black metal. I've read an interview where they stated that second wave black metal didn't reached their region hence that is why they weren't influenced by the puny puberty satanism and created a more dark and serious occult sound.

You can think of that what you want... For me its hard to believe that in the 90's some kids in Nidaros said "this new evil music is shit" while whole norway was listenig to the music.

That's a weird remark indeed considering the two metal tracks on Mare's Spheres Like Death are some of the most overt DMDS worship ever recorded to these ears.

This scene was hyped as hell a few years ago; it seems to have died down a bit, which I approve - more objectivity is always good, as is being able to purchase releases without frantically refreshing the browser every 5 seconds because of them selling out in minutes after going online.
In this respect Terratur deserves major kudos for repressing sold out material if there is demand. That's literally the only way to curtail bootlegging and flipping, and makes regular customers take notice and come back for more.

Anyway, I really like Dødsengel, although they can be hard to digest indeed. Mare and Vemod are also good, as was Celestial Bloodshed and related projects (Kaosritual, OTOH, etc.). Vemod's full length has been in the works for years; maybe now that Mare got Ebony Tower out that one might be the next to be finalized? Wish their Vinterilden tape got a cd treament too; very good stuff.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:11 pm 

Vemod - Venter på stormene

Is definitely my favorite album to come from this scene.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:38 pm 

The scene seems to be largely hit or miss to me, but there are definitely some gems to be found within the circle. I think I enjoy Kaosritual/Dark Sonority, and Misotheist the most. But also enjoy Ritual Death, Whoredome Rife, and Mare (more so the earlier ep's and demos in regards to Mare, Ebony Tower I still need to spend more time with) to some extent. The rest of the releases I've heard are non offensive but not worth devoting much time to. I do however really appreciate the thought, concept, development, and effort put into the bands in this scene and how seriously they take their work. Metal could use more of that ethos in my opinion.

Reply to topic