* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/posses ... ear-blast/

Quote:
Nuclear Blast has announced the signing of POSSESSED to a worldwide deal.

Few bands have done more to push the boundaries of extreme metal than the legendary POSSESSED. Even fewer can create a unique style, which continues to set them apart from all others by being the very first in a genre they laid the foundation for. POSSESSED are by definition, the creators of death metal. Ever since they stormed onto the San Francisco metal scene in the early 1980s, POSSESSED has been redefining and breaking the rules for metal. Nuclear Blast is very excited to be a part of that continued legacy.

Comments vocalist and founding member Jeff Becerra: "POSSESSED are pleased and honored to announce our joining the Nuclear Blast family. Currently, we are hard at work writing new material for our upcoming first full-length release on Nuclear Blast. I want to give special thanks to everybody at Nuclear Blast, and to all of our supporters. This has been a long time coming and this is a very exciting time for us."

Watch a short teaser video announcing the signing that includes a short snippet of demo of a new song below. Fans can expect POSSESSED's first a full-length release in 31 years sometime in 2018.

POSSESSED took San Francisco's metal scene by storm, playing with fellow Bay Area thrashers and friends EXODUS and other bands — many now long gone. In 1982-1983, they recorded a four-song demo. One of the demo tracks, "Swing Of The Axe", ended up on the "Metal Massacre 6" compilation and later on "The Best Of Metal Massacre". Released in October 1985 on Combat Records, "Seven Churches" set a new standard for extreme music. Combining lightning-fast riffs, Becerra's raspy trademark growl and speedy bass playing, pummeling drums and Randy Burns's production, "Seven Churches" created a whole new genre of music — death metal. "Seven Churches" went on to be one of Combat Records' best-selling albums. Not bad for a quartet of high school kids!

"Beyond The Gates". Released on Halloween in 1986, this album was especially well-received in Europe where they toured at the end of the year. The album that changed the landscape of heavy metal, "Beyond The Gates" was the highest selling Combat album that year.

After that tour, POSSESSED recorded and released "Eyes Of Horror", a five-song EP produced by Joe Satriani. Musically and lyrically advanced, the album touched on dark themes such as sin, drugs and violence and, of course, the devil. Not long after the release of the EP, LaLonde (early guitars) joined up with Les Claypool and PRIMUS. Soon after, Mike Sus (early drums) left to continue his studies at SFSU and Torrao (early guitars) decided he no longer wanted to play in a band. Becerra continued to play and joined some side projects, but mostly took time to pursue his goals in life including his attending SFSU. In 1992, while coming home from work, tragically, Jeff was shot twice by two different gunmen who were attempting to rob him. It would be seventeen and a half years before Jeff was again able to resurrect POSSESSED after receiving literally thousands of fan letters, e-mails and fan support.

In 2006, Becerra joined with SADISTIC INTENT to record "The Exorcist" for a POSSESSED tribute album. Becerra and SADISTIC INTENT decided to do a few live shows to satisfy fans who had been clamoring for shows for decades. With such a positive response, Becerra and SADISTIC INTENT continued to play a number of successful shows, including Wacken Open Air in 2007, Maryland Deathfest 2009, and 2010's "Blackest Of The Black" tour. This lineup breathed life into SADISTIC INTENT and Becerra, and the two parties split amicably to play their own styles of metal, with drummer Emilio Marquez staying with Becerra and POSSESSED.

After making several live appearances, including Graspop Metal Meeting in 2012 and "The Fallen Angel" 2012 European tour, "Cursed Over Europe" 2014 tour and the "Evil Over Europe" tour 2016, POSSESSED is primed and finally ready for a new era. The POSSESSED legacy has been highly influential in the realm of extreme metal, changing the genre forever. Ready to take it further, POSSESSED is planning several tour dates and writing new material that will change the face of death metal once more.

POSSESSED is:

Jeff Becerra - Vocals
Daniel Gonzalez - Guitars
Emilio Marquez - Drums
Robert Cardenas - Bass
Claudeous Creamer - Guitar

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/posses ... QkLAPHS.99

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:20 pm 

eh

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:34 pm 

They announced that album a long time ago, I'm shocked it's taken them this long :lol:. I'll check it out but it's a shame they never got Mike Torrao back, the other guys are obviously a lost cause and would run screaming if it was even mentioned but Torrao still plays guitar + long hair, he was a huge part of the band and if you ask me, the only thing that is keeping me from really "believing" this Possessed reunion.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:40 pm 

Strange...
I just checked their page and they've got active members in very good bands, so this shouldn't be a disaster

lordzikon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:43 pm 

Of course they have to sign it with Nuclear Blast.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm 

lordzikon wrote:

Seems like everybody does it these days...lol

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:45 pm 

Jeff Becerra must really need the cash.

Hey I know it sounds cynical and all, and I loved this band back in the day, but somehow, I have a feeling it will just end up being like "Jeff Becerra and a bunch of guys writing half-assed old school sounding thrash tunes." (Or worse, Jeff & hired backing band playing half-assed Lamb of God sounding crap.) So, I don't have a lot of high hopes for this, but you never know- the lower the expectations, the more likely you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thoth Amon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 pm 

I actually know Claudeous from this current line up
Granted its been a few years since I've hung out with him
Cool guy, great player
Congrats to him

Epic black/thrash.

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
lordzikon wrote:

Seems like everybody does it these days...lol

Eh, a lot of the bands I like or need to listen to more of are either on NB or Season of Mist.

I won't worry about Nuclear Blast signing everybody until they, out of the blue, sign one of those "bro country" artists that plague country music these days. Which Earache did with Danny Worsnop's solo country release.

Relseth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 am 

Do people still check for this band? It's been about 30 years since they've put out an album and all.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:22 pm 

they kill it live so there is a decent chance it will be good

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 pm 

The little bit of demo material in the video in the article sounds pretty good to me. Seven Churches is still in regular rotation for me so I'll jump all over this when it comes out.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:11 am 

Def will give this one a listen.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Strange...
I just checked their page and they've got active members in very good bands, so this shouldn't be a disaster

That's the way I see it. On top of being killer live, I believe this might be a good thing.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:55 pm 

That brief demo clip was alright. Not mindblowing but I didn't expect it to be. At least we know for certain that they're not trying to play catchup with contemporary bands nor recreating a pastiche of their early past. I'd be perfectly content with an album that feels like what they would've done in the early to mid '90s if those demos had panned out.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

YouWereMYGhost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:31 pm 

This could be really rad...or could be a real shitty attempt at reviving something that is unquestionably legendary. Fucking A though if I'm not excited to see what these California boys are cooking up either way. I hope its something that will be very old school feeling with some newer age burn in it; something to perhaps follow up Beyond the Gates with. THE album that has been piggy backed upon for years now is definitely Seven Churches. The speed, crunchy guitar riffs, straight up evil feel, solid solo passages, and the awesome lyrics-really fucking everything about that album is how I want to remember these guys. I don't want that tainted by something utterly douche baggy sounding. Fingers crossed these guys wont pull an Illud Divinum Insanus rabbit out of their proverbial hat!

-Now go upon the earth with stoned eyes and ragged soul; life is your punishment...

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 am 

Medical bills are expensive.

Sorry, being a jerk...

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 am 

treebeard wrote:

Sorry, being a jerk...

Playing metal isn't exactly the most reliable way to pay them back.

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
treebeard wrote:

Sorry, being a jerk...

Playing metal isn't exactly the most reliable way to pay them back.

Touche...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 pm 

Possessed has been killing it live for years now so its not really that weird that they are coming with a new album finally.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm 

A 2016 demo song called Abandoned:
https://soundcloud.com/decibelmagazine/ ... -2016db092

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 pm 

No one here liked their post-"Eyes of Horror" demos?

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm 

New album will be released May 10th. New track available too.

Youtube: show

Quote:
Californian death metal pioneers POSSESSED will release their first full-length album in over three decades, "Revelatons Of Oblivion", on May 10 via Nuclear Blast.

POSSESSED frontman Jeff Becerra said: "This album from start to release has been a fantastic experience. All of us in POSSESSED hope you enjoy this newest release and we look forward to touring and creating much more new music in the future. We appreciate all of your support and dedication. Hope to see you during our upcoming tours & shows soon. Thank you to each and every one of you for your inspiration and dedication to POSSESSED."

"Revelations Of Oblivion" was recorded at NRG studios and Titan Studios with Becerra as executive producer and Daniel Gonzalez as co-producer for the album. Mixing and mastering was handled by Peter Tägtgren (HYPOCRISY, PAIN, BLOODBATH) at Abyss Studios in Sweden. For the artwork, the band enlisted Polish artist Zbigniew Bielak (PARADISE LOST, DIMMU BORGIR, DEICIDE, GHOST, GORGUTS) to create a piece that brought back the notion of true fear that was once associated with the idea of evil.

Said Jeff: "Working with Peter was a fantastic experience. We put a great deal of thought into who we wanted to produce our new album. Since we hadn't made an all-new material release in well over 30 years, it was essential that we found the right person. Peter's name kept coming up over and over, and after speaking with my bandmates they all really liked Peter as he is more organic, and somebody we felt would fit in well with our process."

The track listing for the CD is as follows:

01. Chant Of Oblivion
02. No More Room In Hell
03. Dominion
04. Damned
05. Demon
06. Abandoned
07. Shadowcult
08. Omen
09. Ritual
10. The Word
11. Graven
12. Temple Of Samael

The cover artwork can be seen below. Also available is the official visualizer for the song "No More Room In Hell".

Back in 2017, Becerra told Antihero Magazine that the band's upcoming studio album, which will be their first full-length effort since 1986's "Beyond The Gates", would contain "some really fucking good death metal. I'm really happy with a lot of the tracks," he said. "I'm collaborating with [new POSSESSED members] Daniel [Gonzalez, guitar] and Claudeous [Creamer, guitar]. We're working together hard to create something that we really like. We're hoping that translates well to other people and beyond. We're hoping people like it. If they don't, then fuck them."

Regarding the musical direction of POSSESSED's new material, Jeff said: "Well, it's me. I'm still me. I would say…it's very POSSESSED-y, but it's not so dated. I think as much as I love the first three albums, they're a little dated, so we're trying to bring it back into this century. We're not going to over-produce it or do anything but straight death metal. It's just what I want to play and what the band wants to play."

Becerra remains the only member from POSSESSED's classic lineup, which dissolved entirely in 1987 after the "Eyes Of Horror" EP

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm 

I like the song, it's got the classic Possessed feel and some great riffs. Jeff's voice isn't as venomous or brutal but I guess 30+ years will do that to you, and it could be a lot worse. Album art looks pretty cool too, though I was hoping for something simpler and more old school I certainly am not going to complain about that :).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm 

Sounding pretty good. Nicely savage speed, and some wicked melodicism like the old days. I can get into it.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 pm 

The drums sound like shit.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:41 pm 

I didn't mind this song. Will keep the release date in mind.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 am 

Solid song, but I have a feeling the album will be like 56 minutes long and go on for much longer than it should. Just looking at the number of tracks and the fact that a lot of bands do that with their first albums after decades of silence. We'll see.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am 

I don't like the vocals. But I like that this sounds like Possessed, unlike every other old-school thrash band who sounds like Destruction after they reformed, after they reformed.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 am 

it sounds more like possessed than i expected it would. The production is nuclear blasted sadly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:10 am 

schizoid wrote:
I don't like the vocals. But I like that this sounds like Possessed, unlike every other old-school thrash band who sounds like Destruction after they reformed, after they reformed.

This was what I figured it would be before listening - glad I was wrong. I think it speaks to some musical integrity.

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 am 

This song is wicked! Death/Thrash the way I like it and Jeff's vocals are awesome. This has far exceeded my expectations.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 am 

I really like the new track and they were great when I saw them live a year ago or something like that so I am really looking forward to hear the whole thing.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 am 

I'm actually surprised Nuclear Blast would take a chance and sink money into Possessed at this point of their career.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:49 am 

Sounds pretty good actually - definitely digging that sick, twisted riff madness.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:08 pm 

Sounds good. I’m on the fence about Jeff’s vocals but it’s good enough instrumentally where I can probably get over it.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:18 pm 

Another new song:

Youtube: show

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm 

New song sounds pretty average compared to "No More Room In Hell", which I really enjoyed. Nothing really stood out or grabbed me.

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

infamous_madbutcher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:31 am 

I really like the new single and I did like both shadowcult and abandoned which have been on the internet for a bit longer. Still has the Possessed sound with some cleaner and more polished production which I dont mind even though I personally loved the rawness of seven churches. Im a sucker for that whole death/thrash style so Im really looking forward to it.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:27 pm 

The problem is the new songs don't sound like death metal, or rather, they don't sound like Seven Churches. They sound like thrash. Granted, it sounds like much better thrash than Beyond The Gates, but those details make this less anticipatory than it should be.

That said, the cover art looks fucking incredible.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next