Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 am 

Well, this album sure is perfectly okay. Definitely leaning more to thrash these days though that could just be the passage of time talking.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 am 

Really loving the album - a really fantastic comeback, shame Mike Torrao isn't involved but I'm too busy banging my head to these killer riffs to complain too much. The new guitarists have done a great job and Jeff sounds great (a bit less brutal, but his delivery and charisma make up for it). I disagree with the people saying it sounds more thrash, to me this is still totally death metal!

Gotta admit though, I'm a little confused as to why the band seems to be kind of sweeping Torrao under the rug. The latest cover story in Decibel just offhandedly mentions him along with the other original members...I know Sus & Lalonde are out of the question, but it would've been great to see a quote from him or at least hear the band explain his absence, which I've honestly never even heard anyone acknowledge. I know he's known to have a kind of "grizzly" personality (as I once saw it described) but still, he's the guy who wrote like 90% of the original incarnation's riffs (at least on Seven Churches) and he apparently still plays guitar and has long hair - so what the hell is going on??? It's just mindboggling to me, that one of the most influential songwriters in the history of extreme metal is just lurking in the shadows, not doing anything - not playing in bands, doing interviews, or communicating with fans in any way, and nobody seems to notice or care :(.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 am 

Played a bit of it yesterday. Really fucking good - actually liked it more than the new Devil Master album which I also sampled. They still got it. "Demon" is a fucking riff-monster of a song in particular.

edit: The whole thing is super solid. It's all slightly same-y but then again, a lot of this style of albums can be that way. Personally I welcome something this unabashedly old school from a band who were right there in the thick of it.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 pm 

Listened to cut #1 on the record and while it was good thrashy DM I don't know if it would be a long term listen to I think I'm going to pass unless I see it used cheap.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:58 am 

Well, albums out now. I dig it. And I'm a huge Possessed fan, and i was seriously thinking it would fail. Sadly i think that Jeff is the weakest link here. I miss the heavy reverb from the old days. Other than that, it rips the whole way through.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:30 am 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
I miss the heavy reverb from the old days. Other than that, it rips the whole way through.

+1

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2