Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeltedFace
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 am
Posts: 493
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:20 am 
 

1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind

Well this album skyrocketed to the top of my AOTY list. 1914 plays WWI themed Blackened Death/Doom Metal and damn do they play it well. There are many bands out there who put together war themed Metal, but 1914 has captured the despair and horror while creating fist pounding track after fist pounding track. Every single song is tells its own unique story and the album is full of unexpected turns in melody and rhythm. This thing just flows so well together with the fantastic riffs, varied drumming, and some of best vocals of the year. I really love the use of old clips from music and movies, as well as the sounds of war to create the atmosphere. The production is in your face and it does a perfect job of making you feel like you're in the trenches trying to keep your shit together.

Youtube: show


Youtube: show


https://x1914x.bandcamp.com/
_________________
ngwoo wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:
I also wonder what the reward would be for it? Perhaps a drinking session with them? A stroll through the woods with Abbath perhaps?


A free set of broken equipment

Top
 Profile  
GanoesParan
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:00 am
Posts: 192
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 am 
 

MeltedFace wrote:
1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind

Well this album skyrocketed to the top of my AOTY list. 1914 plays WWI themed Blackened Death/Doom Metal and damn do they play it well. There are many bands out there who put together war themed Metal, but 1914 has captured the despair and horror while creating fist pounding track after fist pounding track. Every single song is tells its own unique story and the album is full of unexpected turns in melody and rhythm. This thing just flows so well together with the fantastic riffs, varied drumming, and some of best vocals of the year. I really love the use of old clips from music and movies, as well as the sounds of war to create the atmosphere. The production is in your face and it does a perfect job of making you feel like you're in the trenches trying to keep your shit together.


I'm really glad I saw your post, that first track is killer! :beer:

Faanefjell just released a new album that seems pretty solid after one listen. Really solid folk metal.

Youtube: show


Dire Peril just released their debut album, and it features the singer from Judicator who released one of my favorite power metal albums of the year so far. So far this album has been great, and I see this one getting as many spins as The Last Emperor.

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Rompestromper
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 pm
Posts: 384
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:01 am 
 

MikeyC wrote:
Beyond Creation is definitely pretty good. I don't know if it beats Earthborn Evolution, but it's a strong album.


I am not sure either, I do like the guitar solo's a bit more and I think the drummer has gotten a bit more creative (on The Afterlife these two come together when that guitar solo hits you, really love that part) but the bass is less intense, it kinda feels that he is saving his energy for the solo's during the rest of the songs whilst Dominic just went crazy full out album.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1985
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 pm 
 

The new Deathhammer continues the tradition of doing an exact copy of Show No Mercy, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Such a killer sound.

Top
 Profile  
thewrll
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 am
Posts: 97
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm 
 

Clouds just moved to my number 2 spot https://cloudsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/dor-2
Now unless the new Sickle Of Dust comes out this year and is as good as his previous work, my list is finalized.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1985
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:59 pm 
 

So much stuff I'm stumbling upon now that it's the end of the year! The new Lucifer's Child is some bonkers-ass Greek BM and I adore it.
https://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-order

Top
 Profile  
Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 pm
Posts: 111
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:03 pm 
 

Valafar - Wolfenkind

Never heard of these guys, but what a great album. Reminds me occasionally of Amon Amarth only much better.

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8890
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 pm 
 

So I only just now found out that House of Atreus has a new album out (From the Madness of Ixion). On first listen it sounds basically the same as The Spear and the Ichor that Follows, but that's a-ok with me because I loved that album. It's really nice to hear Arghoslent riffs without them being aggressively racist at me.
_________________
Don't forget to vote in the MA Album of the Year 2018 Poll!
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Wombripper - From the Depths of Flesh
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
praey
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 am
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm 
 

Man, I thought that new House of Atreus was garbage. Sure the riffing style is the same as Arghoslent, but there is a night and day difference in quality. On first listen actually I mildly enjoyed it just based on the galloping energy, on repeat listens I realized just how terribly dull and unimaginative the riffs are. I listened to it back to back with Hornets of the Pogrom, the difference in quality is like the difference between banging your hot girlfriend versus masturbating quietly in an empty room.

What's even funnier is that, despite their "Arghoslent without the racism" schtick, the band themselves are actually supporters of Arghoslent and have been pictured wearing their merch. So although they don't seem to be racist, they still openly support a racist band.

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5062
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 pm 
 

i kinda assumed they supported arghoslent when they decided to start a band that sounds exactly like arghoslent.

i like the song i heard off it and i'm very glad they avoid the dogshit production/mix aspect of the sound. honestly
"arghoslent but better produced" is probably just as good a selling point imo
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
pfk505
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:04 am
Posts: 252
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm 
 

thewrll wrote:
Clouds just moved to my number 2 spot https://cloudsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/dor-2
Now unless the new Sickle Of Dust comes out this year and is as good as his previous work, my list is finalized.


Clouds were always going to make my list. Best doom metal band in existence. Thanks for the reminder to grab this, I got the notification the other day. Can't wait to sit down with it!

Top
 Profile  
praey
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 am
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 pm 
 

theposega wrote:
i kinda assumed they supported arghoslent when they decided to start a band that sounds exactly like arghoslent.

i like the song i heard off it and i'm very glad they avoid the dogshit production/mix aspect of the sound. honestly
"arghoslent but better produced" is probably just as good a selling point imo

I mean, there's a difference between taking influence from a band and "supporting" them. I'm also pretty sure you either got a shitty download or were listening to Arghoslent via awful equipment, because otherwise I have no clue where this "dogshit production" is that you're hearing.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed the new Light This City album. I always wrote this band off as a second rate melodeath band back in the 2000s, but this is actually pretty inspired and well-written stuff. It's something of a comeback album, as their last record came out in 2008. It almost reminds me of a mix of melodic death metal and melodic punk like A Wilhelm Scream, which makes sense considering two of the members are the main force behind Heartsounds. The sound is like if Black Dahlia Murder had a more emotional edge, which honestly doesn't sound that appealing, but whatever it clicked with me.

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 889
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 am 
 

That Light This City album was pretty good, yeah.

Never listened to Arghoslent, and I haven't heard the new HoA record either, but I saw them player several of the new songs live and they sounded really great. Even though House have a unique lyric hook and a huge, fun sound, I think what makes their great riffs great tends to be the subtleties that undergird their epic melodies. It seems like they know how to take a potentially generic speed metal/melodeath/etc. riff and tweak it here and there until it becomes quite crafty.

Top
 Profile  
StainedClass95
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 am
Posts: 779
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 am 
 

Xenophon wrote:

Never listened to Arghoslent


This an ethics thing? Incorrigible Bigotry in particular has had a pretty positive reputation for years.


The new Witherfall is good, longer and more atmospheric/emotional though less catchy. If you have a taste for shredding, proggy metal, it is definitely worth your time.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25818
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 am 
 

Is it a bad thing if it is an "ethics thing" though?
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: House of Cards Season 6 reviews, ongoing

Top
 Profile  
StainedClass95
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 am
Posts: 779
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:23 am 
 

Not really, it's just the only thing that would make sense to me at this point. Like I said, they've been a name in (melodic) death metal for awhile.

Top
 Profile  
thewrll
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 am
Posts: 97
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:38 am 
 

pfk505 wrote:
thewrll wrote:
Clouds just moved to my number 2 spot https://cloudsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/dor-2
Now unless the new Sickle Of Dust comes out this year and is as good as his previous work, my list is finalized.


Clouds were always going to make my list. Best doom metal band in existence. Thanks for the reminder to grab this, I got the notification the other day. Can't wait to sit down with it!


My all time favorite is Imperceptum and then Clouds.

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 889
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:42 am 
 

I tend to take my time with more well-known bands in general, partially for these reasons:

Noktorn wrote:
Of course, anyone with a brainstem knows that black metal isn't dead simply because black metal isn't a discrete "thing" made up of a few musical elements or aesthetic tropes. I've often said that the "classics" are really the worst way to explore any genre of music you're unfamiliar with, because it improperly colors your expectations of the style itself. The majority of kids out there (especially those raised on the internet, where the canons of various styles of music are so rigidly codified) are getting into black metal via "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"- excellent albums, of course, at the very top of the heap of black metal, but how much do they actually resemble the faceless, generic "black metal" you hear in your mind when you think of the term? Liking albums like those doesn't necessarily mean you like what we know as black metal- they mean you like good music. I love Townes Van Zandt, but I'm not about to claim I'm an aficionado of country. The classics are great because they're so unique, but without a background of a few hundred bullshit Peruvian blast'n'shriek CDs, you don't have a very good perspective of what makes them so fantastic. Thus, a skewed perspective, and a reductivist one that sees every style as basically stillborn even though Darkthrone doesn't really embody what black metal "is" better than Pogrom 1147 does.


Also, rolling the dice on something obscure that could be great or could be shit gets addictive (gambling is fun!) and I forget to listen to other more established stuff haha.

Also, that Witherfall is indeed a good album.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 7834
Location: Lifeless shadows
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 am 
 

Sounds like a troll argument that tries to turn what is obvious and given completely on its ear.

Quote:
Darkthrone doesn't really embody what black metal "is" better than Pogrom 1147 does.

What the jesus is he talking about.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."
Guitarist/vocalist in Illusions Dead - death/black metal
Vocalist in Gloaming - vile, crawling death/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5062
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:30 am 
 

praey wrote:
theposega wrote:
i kinda assumed they supported arghoslent when they decided to start a band that sounds exactly like arghoslent.

i like the song i heard off it and i'm very glad they avoid the dogshit production/mix aspect of the sound. honestly
"arghoslent but better produced" is probably just as good a selling point imo

I mean, there's a difference between taking influence from a band and "supporting" them. I'm also pretty sure you either got a shitty download or were listening to Arghoslent via awful equipment, because otherwise I have no clue where this "dogshit production" is that you're hearing.


this guitar tone is awful and plasticky (and that ain't from the youtube quality)
this guitar tone is damn near weightless

that's trash production fam. you don't gotta sound like a gorewinter demo to have bad production. maybe i'm weird but i like death metal where the guitar sounds like there's something behind it. not that marshmallow peep ass incorrigible bigotry tone that's laughably unheavy.

and house of atreus just being "influenced" by arghoslent is understatement of the decade. the whole fucking point of the band is to sound like arghoslent. why the hell would you not then assume they're huge fans/supporters? why else do you start a clone band?
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8890
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:48 am 
 

I think it's obvious that his point was that trying to sound like Arghoslent is in no way the same thing as agreeing with the bullshit Arghoslent says. No reason an entire stylistic approach should be tainted just because one of the pioneers was full of shitty people.
_________________
Don't forget to vote in the MA Album of the Year 2018 Poll!
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Wombripper - From the Depths of Flesh
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25818
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Sounds like a troll argument that tries to turn what is obvious and given completely on its ear.

Quote:
Darkthrone doesn't really embody what black metal "is" better than Pogrom 1147 does.

What the jesus is he talking about.


He's talking about something extremely obvious and general, i.e. that people will get into popular bands more easily. It's a lot of words to essentially say "popular bands are popular." People don't get into the legions of more generic unknown types of any genre because obviously they are not as visible or necessary to know about - just how it is.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: House of Cards Season 6 reviews, ongoing

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5062
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:13 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
I think it's obvious that his point was that trying to sound like Arghoslent is in no way the same thing as agreeing with the bullshit Arghoslent says. No reason an entire stylistic approach should be tainted just because one of the pioneers was full of shitty people.


and i think it's obvious i never said they agree with arghoslent's "racialism." support (on my end, at least) was used in the sense that they bought the albums/merch/etc. not support like "yo yeah that's def where the foundations of empire are laid, tell em"

all i'm saying is that if you sound exactly like a band with sketchy ideology, it's a safe assumption that you like that band. you can like sketchy shit without being sketchy yourself.
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 889
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 am 
 

It's more like the bands that best embody a genre tend to be the more obscure bands, not the big names. The big names are great, not for being a perfect example of the genre, but rather, by how they caused a shift in the development of metal, and so their greatness becomes more evident by comparison/contrast with other bands. And by making sure to listen to more obscure albums while you listen to the big names, you also develop more strongly your own taste and measure of what makes a band good/bad or how a band can be subtly unique or innovative because you're forcing yourself to judge an obscure band on its own merits or in comparison to other obscure bands without as much reference to what is generally agreed to be great about the big names. At least, that was/has been my presumption getting into metal. Metal also has such a high general standard of quality compared to other art forms to me, and there tends to be much less correlation between an artist being generally popular and me personally liking it, compared to other art forms, so that also contributes to my listening.

Also, maybe what BastardHead means by it being okay to support HoA is that even if HoA likes Arghoslent's music, it's still okay to like them because they are not actual racists, even though they support racist bands. Or in other words, by being one more step removed from the true crime, the causality of support racist band -> racist band makes more music -> racist message spreads gets another step added to it so the general, perceived negative effects of listening to House are obviously much lower than by listening to Arghoslent.

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3854
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:05 pm 
 

Whether House of Atreus supports Arghoslent or not is of no matter, because the new album is not only boring as fuck, it also sucks major ass.

Top
 Profile  
pfk505
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:04 am
Posts: 252
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:31 am 
 

thewrll wrote:

My all time favorite is Imperceptum and then Clouds.


I'm gonna have to revisit Imperceptum then, if you put them in the same league. The other two bands I typically reference when talking about doom metal are Shape of Despair and Saturnus. Not only are they good bands musically and technically, but they strike at something much deeper for me, just like Clouds.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25818
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:46 am 
 

Xenophon wrote:
It's more like the bands that best embody a genre tend to be the more obscure bands, not the big names. The big names are great, not for being a perfect example of the genre, but rather, by how they caused a shift in the development of metal, and so their greatness becomes more evident by comparison/contrast with other bands. And by making sure to listen to more obscure albums while you listen to the big names, you also develop more strongly your own taste and measure of what makes a band good/bad or how a band can be subtly unique or innovative because you're forcing yourself to judge an obscure band on its own merits or in comparison to other obscure bands without as much reference to what is generally agreed to be great about the big names. At least, that was/has been my presumption getting into metal. Metal also has such a high general standard of quality compared to other art forms to me, and there tends to be much less correlation between an artist being generally popular and me personally liking it, compared to other art forms, so that also contributes to my listening.


I guess this is where I differ from some metalheads now. I still like the genre as much as I ever did, but increasingly I am more attracted to original sounds and don't care so much about the "generic" lesser known bands. Sometimes they're very good but I just don't always check them out as a priority anymore. There's too much music out there to only listen to a bunch of imitators. While I don't think popularity = quality obviously, I do think a lot of these bands got big because they had iconic, idiosyncratic sounds. And I enjoy that about several of the "bigger" bands.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: House of Cards Season 6 reviews, ongoing

Top
 Profile  
thewrll
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 am
Posts: 97
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:34 pm 
 

pfk505 wrote:
thewrll wrote:

My all time favorite is Imperceptum and then Clouds.


I'm gonna have to revisit Imperceptum then, if you put them in the same league. The other two bands I typically reference when talking about doom metal are Shape of Despair and Saturnus. Not only are they good bands musically and technically, but they strike at something much deeper for me, just like Clouds.


I think what gets me about Imperceptum and Clouds is that it's not just funeral doom, Clouds are listed as Atmospheric Doom and Imperceptum is Atmospheric Black Metal with Funeral Doom. I love the atmosphere. My favorite Imperceptum is The Eternal Path to Nothingness.

Top
 Profile  
pfk505
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:04 am
Posts: 252
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 am 
 

thewrll wrote:
I think what gets me about Imperceptum and Clouds is that it's not just funeral doom, Clouds are listed as Atmospheric Doom and Imperceptum is Atmospheric Black Metal with Funeral Doom. I love the atmosphere. My favorite Imperceptum is The Eternal Path to Nothingness.


I definitely don't consider Clouds, Shape of Despair et al. to be funeral doom despite them getting labeled that from time to time, they're definitely more in the European doom/death metal tradition with some atmospheric touches.

I spent several hours with the new Clouds album this weekend, and again it really impressed me. I'm almost of the mind that they should focus more on getting female singers to do their clean sections as When I'm Gone is the real highlight of the album, just like In The Ocean Of My Tears was from the last album. That formula really works for them.

Top
 Profile  
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 13145
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 am 
 

hallowed78 wrote:
New Kriegsmaschine dropped out of nowhere today. It's a nice surprise. The herald of doom comes without fanfare.

https://ksmpl.bandcamp.com/album/apocalypticists

Okay I also foolishly overlooked this, as well. Get on this one, too - the drumming alone is worth the price of admission.
_________________
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Top
 Profile  
Somar
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:01 pm
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:45 pm 
 

Vow - Gentle Decline
https://vowmcr.bandcamp.com/releases

Not sure this is perceived as being metal by all, to me it counts, but it's too damn good not to share anyway.

Quality Post-black, but that still keeps a solid foothold in the atmospheric black side of things, which is why i have no problem giving them a black metal label too. There's some doom/drone passages that really bring the whole atmosphere together.

All in all, it's a great album well worth checking out.
_________________
favorites of 2018 (so far)
Asphagor - The Cleansing
Vow - Gentle Decline
Autokrator - Hammer of the Heretics
Avslut - Deceptis
Svartidauđi - Revelations of the Red Sword

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3854
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm 
 

What did y'all think of the new Evoken? Pretty disappointing after the excellent Atra Mors, in my opinion. Still got some nice parts and is over all a solid album. Definitely does not compare to Mournful Congregation's The Incubus of Karma, though.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8950
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:08 pm 
 

Absolutely loved the new Evoken, not disappointed in the least on my end! I liked it more than any other doom metal release this year.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
I Am the Law
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:46 pm
Posts: 405
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 am 
 

I don't think it's as good as the old albums but they are still one of the better doom/death bands around. I do need to give it a couple more listens though but I don't think my opinion will change much.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8950
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:33 am 
 

Nothing ever beats Antithesis of Light for me but every album they've ever made is really good in my opinion.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
IntoNevermore
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 pm
Posts: 1136
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:05 am 
 

Selbst - Secular Compendium

I hardly find any music from Venezuela that I like, let alone metal music, black metal even less... But this, this is some rare and awesome shit. Venezuela is not the first country that comes to mind when you think of extreme metal, and with good reason, there are like 3 or 4 that are actually any good, and Selbst just might be the best of the bunch. This is a compilation of previous songs from demos and splits. They play a brand of black metal with tiny hints of death and doom, it's dense, it's inventive, it has dynamic drumming and riffing. Hell this just made me wanna look if there are other hidden gems like it in this shitthole.

The similar artist tag mentions Deathspell Omega and Zhrine and boy they are right.

(Heh, they're technically not from Venezuela anymore. Founding member moved to Chile a few years ago and gathered some people to release new music, too good to be true I guess)

Youtube: show
_________________
theposega wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:
what those bands do is water it down

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 1639
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 am 
 

New Pale Divine is streaming, and it is EXCELLENT traditional doom metal.

https://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.com/album/pale-divine

Official release date is tomorrow.
_________________
BadCannon: Heavy/Doom/Stoner metal/Hard rock from Fresno, CA Facebook

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3854
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:20 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
Absolutely loved the new Evoken, not disappointed in the least on my end! I liked it more than any other doom metal release this year.


I'm glad you like it! It's funny, I think any big release I find meh, you always end up loving! It's certainly not bad, I think I might have needed some time to warm up to it, cause in the last few relistens I've softened my opinion on it quite a bit. Even though they are quite different beasts, I still find it hard not to compare it to the latest Mournful Congregation. I think I just like the dismal atmosphere on that one, whereas Hypnagogia has a bit more of a mystical and (fittingly) dream like atmosphere. I also am not a huge fan of the production on Evoken's. I wish it was a bit more atmospheric, to me it seems kind of, I don't know... blunt?

Can't remember if I mentioned this one before but the new Antiverse is hitting soooo good. Great thrashy album with some black and death influences, some nice melodic touches, and catchy as fuck!

narsilianshard wrote:
The new Deathhammer continues the tradition of doing an exact copy of Show No Mercy, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Such a killer sound.


I was getting more of an early Destruction vibe from this one, and yeah it fucking rules.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 545
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:11 pm 
 

I agree, the Antiverse album is pretty bad ass for sure!

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5062
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:57 pm 
 

haven't heard atra mors still but I'm digging the shit out of the new evoken. "schadenfreude" in particular is a goddamn mammoth.
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jdagger and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group