* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
hallowed78 wrote:
New Kriegsmaschine dropped out of nowhere today. It's a nice surprise. The herald of doom comes without fanfare.

https://ksmpl.bandcamp.com/album/apocalypticists

Okay I also foolishly overlooked this, as well. Get on this one, too - the drumming alone is worth the price of admission.

The drumming is crazy good.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 pm 

I bought that Witherfall album yesterday on a blind buy, just based on the album cover. I was vaguely aware of who they were and knew they had a connection to Iced Earth, so I expected some really ultra-technical power metal chock full of cheesy ballads or whatever - perhaps with a forced "classical" edge in a few songs, but boy was I wrong. It's more like a mix of King Diamond, old Dream Theater, and later Death - quite technical at times but always tasteful and it never detracts from the dark/melancholy vibe. Everything feels very emotional and heartfelt, never cheesy or disingenuous like Iced Earth. The songwriting is also fantastic, and the vocalist really blew me away - really powerful, soulful vocals which remind me of James Labrie in his golden years. He also throws in some death vocals on occasion, which normally would turn me off in power/prog metal but it's done pretty well here and never feels forced. The album ends with "Vintage" which is a fantasic 11-minute epic, I actually teared up at the end when I realized what the song was about (their drummer died of cancer during the making of this album and the track is a tribute to him). Color me impressed, I'd easily rate this a 9/10.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:28 am 

true_death wrote:
I bought that Witherfall album yesterday on a blind buy, just based on the album cover. I was vaguely aware of who they were and knew they had a connection to Iced Earth, so I expected some really ultra-technical power metal chock full of cheesy ballads or whatever - perhaps with a forced "classical" edge in a few songs, but boy was I wrong. It's more like a mix of King Diamond, old Dream Theater, and later Death - quite technical at times but always tasteful and it never detracts from the dark/melancholy vibe. Everything feels very emotional and heartfelt, never cheesy or disingenuous like Iced Earth. The songwriting is also fantastic, and the vocalist really blew me away - really powerful, soulful vocals which remind me of James Labrie in his golden years. He also throws in some death vocals on occasion, which normally would turn me off in power/prog metal but it's done pretty well here and never feels forced. The album ends with "Vintage" which is a fantasic 11-minute epic, I actually teared up at the end when I realized what the song was about (their drummer died of cancer during the making of this album and the track is a tribute to him). Color me impressed, I'd easily rate this a 9/10.

I'd strongly recommend checking their debut out if you've done so, it's arguably even better.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am 

so the new obliteration album is really good possibly best death metal album of the year.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:40 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
so the new obliteration album is really good possibly best death metal album of the year.

That's a bold statement. At first listen it didn't grab me as much as I thought it would, it's definitely great though, maybe is just a grower for me. But I don't think it will get top 5 in my list of the year.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:33 pm 

Gotta say, wasn't a huge fan of the Witherfall album. It was dark and edgy which is cool, but I just didn't feel like the songs were very memorable.

New Second to Sun is very good. Kinda reminds me of the Horizons Ablaze album from earlier this year, but maybe better? Good stuff.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:52 am 

Angsty and perhaps theatrical is how I would characterize that Witherfall album. Not too many riffs that make me leap out of my seat with excitement, but just a solid, well-written album with decent dynamics and breadth with regard to the songwriting.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:33 pm 

I agree. I think it's good, but exposes their weaknesses as much as it shows potential. It's got a cool, dark/Nevermore-ish vibe which is nice.

Metalmeistermms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:22 pm 

The older I get, the more difficult it seems to find and really get into new bands (or established bands I didn't know before). Still every year this thread provides with a few suprises, for which I would thank you all once again.

Best catch for me this year was Wytch Hazel - Sojourn. Really cool traditional heavy metal, great songwriting and guitarwork. Vocals are to my taste, but could be not to everyone's liking. Bit similar to Pagan Altar.

The album that surprised me the most this year is the new Thrawsublat - Great Brunswick Forest. I love their previous records, where Metachtonia expecially was a raging beast of melodic black-metal mixed with folk. I was not expecting a full transition to just Folk. No blastbeats, almost no distorted guitars and only clean singing. The first time I listened to it I almost felt betrayed and was pretty dissapointed. However, the next few times I put the record on, it obviously was without expecting the metal. And the record is really, really good. I do hope the go back to their old sound on the next album, but this is nevertheless a great addition to their catalogue.

Biggest dissapointment this year for me comes from Aeternus. I was really hoping Ares could come up again with some atmosphere he gathered on his first 4 or so records (I like everything up to Ascension of Terror). Just a few riffs gave hint of that, but the rest was just meh. Now I'm just hoping they get a decent tour fixed so I can catch them live once again. Live they've never dissapointed, but they almost never go out on tour.
Awaiting our reign

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:28 pm 

WRT Witherfall, the Nevermore comparison was right on the money for me. Wasn't a huge fan of them either. The songs are really ambitious, they are dark and heavy, but to me it seems like that's enough for people to really praise what might be describe as power metal/prog, but meh... the songs just generally aren't there for me.

Wasn't a huge fan of that Thrawsunblat album. The vocals are kind of laughably bad at first, but I admit they kind of grew on me. It's not without it's charm but it's kind of forgettable, IMHO. Also, just as a general thing regarding that band, the story behind their name is super fucking lame :lol:

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:

It's really good, but I'm digging the new Chapel of Disease much more. It's in a similar vein, but has a stronger psychedelic/prog vibe. It's like if Dire Straits put out an extreme metal album:

https://chapelofdisease.bandcamp.com/al ... ed-the-eye

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:51 pm 

So I could listen to the full new Svartidauði album and definitely skyrocketed to a high spot in my list. I was not disappointed.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm 

Organ: - Everything is Pared Down. Minimal Expectations.

Just discovered this randomly. From what I can gather this is some odd-ball instrumental post-black/industrial metal that sounds a little bit different. I liked what I heard.

https://duplicaterecords.bandcamp.com/a ... pectations

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:56 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind

Well this album skyrocketed to the top of my AOTY list. 1914 plays WWI themed Blackened Death/Doom Metal and damn do they play it well. There are many bands out there who put together war themed Metal, but 1914 has captured the despair and horror while creating fist pounding track after fist pounding track. Every single song is tells its own unique story and the album is full of unexpected turns in melody and rhythm. This thing just flows so well together with the fantastic riffs, varied drumming, and some of best vocals of the year. I really love the use of old clips from music and movies, as well as the sounds of war to create the atmosphere. The production is in your face and it does a perfect job of making you feel like you're in the trenches trying to keep your shit together.

https://x1914x.bandcamp.com/

This is an album i have to feel pissed off about. It has the quality to contend for AOTY yet won't even make my top 10 because all those shenanigans of war talk/singing completly kills the mood.

If it was just an intro and outro, or maybe even an interlude as well, it probably wouldn't make much difference, but having to go through that every 5 min is just too much of a mood killer for me to fully enjoy the album.

A clear case of trying to get too fancy with the extra stuff backfiring, because musically the album is top notch.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:06 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
I just finished listening to Wytch Hazel II: Sojourn. I have not heard their previous album, so I cannot compare and say if they have improved or not, but I did like the album. It reminds me of the original NWOBHM bands in that they still have a lot of, "rock," to the sound and are not wholly metal. They will not compete for a top spot for me, but I think there are some here who might feel otherwise.

Had the privilege of catching them live a couple of weeks ago - they truly are excellent musicians, and the vocalist is pitch perfect (even in a pub on a two-part PA / amps stacked behind the drum kit). Sojourn has a lot of Led Zep stuff going on, and drops a lot of the consciously medieval melodies that Prelude had. If you really want to see the jump in quality, look up their EP 'The Truth'.

The best part (for me at least) about Wytch Hazel ? proper old-school harmonies - guitars and vocals - it just makes a simply riff / melody / lyric sound a whole lot more alive, especially when actually live !

Sojourn is my top of 2018.
Letters from the Edge by Sear Bliss is also excellent, definitely an 'Album' rather than something you could / should shuffle.
Firepower by Judas Priest - best surprise of 2018 by far.
Queen of Time by Amorphis - it's got mid-afternoon festival slot written all over it. Solid, and happily the wife is a fan (she loves it !)

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm 

Somar wrote:
This is an album i have to feel pissed off about. It has the quality to contend for AOTY yet won't even make my top 10 because all those shenanigans of war talk/singing completly kills the mood.

If it was just an intro and outro, or maybe even an interlude as well, it probably wouldn't make much difference, but having to go through that every 5 min is just too much of a mood killer for me to fully enjoy the album.

A clear case of trying to get too fancy with the extra stuff backfiring, because musically the album is top notch.

I can understand and appreciate that. I do agree with you that normally intros and outros can be tedious to listen, but with this album I gave 1914 the benefit of the doubt. I think the main thing that gives me an appreciation for the non-metal elements of this album is that 1914 is from Lviv, Ukraine, and that area was integral to WWI and went through hell. I feel like this gives them a unique perspective on the war and its effects which in turn allows me more patience in trying to understand the picture they are trying to paint.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:17 am 

Loudwire present their top 30 albums of 2018. You can view the list here but the damn thing is loaded with ads, so for those that don't want to click, their list is:

Spoiler: show
30. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
29. Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
28. Sigh - Heir to Despair
27. Craft - White Noise and Black Metal
26. Unleashed - The Hunt for White Christ
25. Lychgate - The Contagion in Nine Steps
24. Ministry - AmeriKKKant
23. Pig Destroyer - Head Cage
22. Behemoth - I Loved You at Your Darkest
21. Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath
20. Sumac - Love in Shadow
19. Møl - Jord
18. Legend of the Seagullmen - Legend of the Seagullmen
17. Akhenaten - Golden Serpent God
16. High on Fire - Electric Messiah
15. Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know my Name
14. Hate Eternal - Upon Desolate Sands
13. Amorphis - Queen of Time
12. Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
11. The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic
10. Yob - Our Raw Heart
9. Tribulation - Down Below
8. Between the Buried and Me - Automata I + II
7. Black Label Society - Grimmest Hits
6. Vein - Errorzone
5. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Wasteland
4. Zeal & Ardor - Stranger Fruit
3. Judas Priest - Firepower
2. Ghost - Prequelle
1. Sleep - The Sciences

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Loudwire present their top 30 albums of 2018. You can view the list here but the damn thing is loaded with ads, so for those that don't want to click, their list is:

Not a single one of those made my top 10. Not even sure if I bothered to make a top 30 i would repeat a name from that list.

Ah well, can't get it right all the time.

Last edited by ~Guest 354281 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:11 am 

LOL, another total joke of a list. The only one that belongs in a top 30 in that list is Amorphis.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am 

Those lists will never really reflect what the tastes are like on this forum.

That said, Ghost as number 2 - bah. I don't buy it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 am 

Lists like these are why I much prefer lists from individuals. Like yeah, no list is "right" but individual lists give you a feel for a listener's tastes and what they went through in a year. Even when they have good picks, lists from bigger sites like Loudwire and Rolling Stone just feel like a bunch of focus grouped nonsense.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 am 

I maintain that anybody hyping up Zeal and Ardor that much isn't really trying and it just going for Open Minded Cred or progressive points. It's an awesome idea with really shit execution.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:27 am 

I would expect even that mainstream of a list would have Panopticon. Let down once again.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:26 am 

What's your guys' opinion on the Decibel list? Not a single album from Loudwire made mine either, MAYBE Tribulation. Interesting how Zeal is #33/40 on here.

Spoiler: show
40. Panopticon, The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness I and II, Bindrune
39. Hate Eternal, Upon Desolate Sands, Season of Mist
38. Cosmic Church, Tattymys, Self-released
37. KEN mode, Loved, Season of Mist
36. Monster Magnet, Mindfucker Napalm
35. Wake, Misery Rites, Translation Loss
34. Thou, Magus, Sacred Bones
33. Zeal and Ardor, Stranger Fruit, MVKA
32. Devouring Star, The Arteries of Heresy, Dark Descent
31. Corrosion of Conformity, No Cross No Crown, Nuclear Blast
30. Sepulcher, Panoptic Horror, Edged Circle Productions
29. Svalbard, It’s Hard To Have Hope, Translation Loss
28. Horrendous, Idol, Season of Mist
27. Abhorrence, Megalohydrothalassophobic, Svart
26. Visigoth, Conqueror’s Oath, Metal Blade
25. Mortuous, Through Wilderness, Tankcrimes
24. Portal, Ion, Profound Lore
23. Mournful Congregation, The Incubus of Karma, 20 Buck Spin
22. Sleep, The Sciences, Third Man
21. Funeral Mist, Hekatomb, Norma Evangelium Diaboli
20. Outer Heaven, Realms of Eternal Decay, Relapse
19. Varathron, Patriarchs of Evil, Agonia
18. The Atlas Moth, Coma Noir, Prosthetic
17. Tomb Mold, Manor of Infinite Forms, 20 Buck Spin
16. Satan, Cruel Magic, Metal Blade
15. Chapel of Disease, …And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye, Ván
14. Deafheaven, Ordinary Corrupt Human Love, Anti-
13. Voivod, The Wake, Century Media
12. Haunt, Burst Into Flames, Shadow Kingdom
11. At the Gates, To Drink from the Night Itself, Century Media
10. Pig Destroyer, Head Cage, Relapse
9. Khemmis, Desolation, 20 Buck Spin
8. Immortal, Northern Chaos Gods, Nuclear Blast
7. Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Wasteland, Rise Above
6. Skeletonwitch, Devouring Radiant Light, Prosthetic
5. Judas Priest, Firepower, Columbia
4. Evoken, Hypnagogia, Profound Lore
3. UADA, Cult of a Dying Sun, Eisenwald
2. Tribulation, Down Below, Century Media
1. YOB, Our Raw Heart, Relapse

#1 I need to check out, I was feeling it IMMEDIATELY when the vocals kicked in, and the circumstances in which it was written make it more impacting, at least for me.

I can honestly say it's been an even more brutal year for death metal than last year. Also I'm hearing Chapel of Disease for the first time, holy shit. Not what I expected from the name at ALL, so many fucking thanks, narsilianshard :metal: :metal: :metal: I still need to hear the new Obliteration album.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:05 am 

That Decibel list has some names i would consider.

Tomb Mold, Funeral Mist will definitely be high in my list once i make the effort of puting one together. Maybe a couple more names.

I still need to listen to the new Evoken, revelations of the red sword has been taking a bunch of my listening time these days.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:54 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I maintain that anybody hyping up Zeal and Ardor that much isn't really trying and it just going for Open Minded Cred or progressive points. It's an awesome idea with really shit execution.

As I've said, the attention is only due to theme (slavery). Musically, it's a very poor record.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 am 

Nah, Zeal and Ardor is good. I mean I dunno if I'd say it's the best METAL album of the year when we've had so many incredible ones (Deceased, Horrendous, Seasons of the Wolf, etc), but it's a unique as hell project with a cool viewpoint and a big, intense sound. I want to see where he goes with it. Listening to Stranger Fruit now and this is fairly massive stuff. Not totally metal, but incorporating some cool stuff in intriguing ways. It's partly metal but a lot of it seems to be coming from more of a blues rock direction, albeit much darker which I find cool.

I can see how people would tout this higher just because it's original, in a way that disparages other metal for just doing what metal always has been. But I like it pretty well anyway.

BH, what exactly would you want to be different about the execution of this?

edit: Finished it - yeah, not perfect, a bit clunky in places and some songs sound alike. I still like it though.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Also I'm hearing Chapel of Disease for the first time, holy shit. Not what I expected from the name at ALL, so many fucking thanks, narsilianshard :metal: :metal: :metal: I still need to hear the new Obliteration album.

Stoked you liked it! I loved their last one, but I didn't even know they had another one coming out until that Decibel list dropped. Given its late release it's probably not going to get the attention it deserves, so I'm going to keep signing its praises as loudly as I can.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:12 pm 

Quite a few of my friends liked that Z&A album (notably a few friends who hate extreme metal, which is not exactly a good sign) and I gave it an honest try but I really, really can't stand it.

I never have very high expectations for corporate lists like this but I'm a little disappointed to not at least see Varathron, Sargeist or Portal on there, all fairly well known bands with great releases this year. I'd think those would be obvious choices if only to give some "underground" credibility. But Sleep, High on Fire, Tribulation... I feel like this list could've been generated by a computer algorithm.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:32 pm 

ingmar birdman wrote:
Quite a few of my friends liked that Z&A album (notably a few friends who hate extreme metal, which is not exactly a good sign) and I gave it an honest try but I really, really can't stand it.

Yeah I mean I'd say it's mostly a blues rock album with extreme metal atmosphere and some blasty/riffy parts - but mostly just off-kilter blues rock.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
ingmar birdman wrote:

Yeah I mean I'd say it's mostly a blues rock album with extreme metal atmosphere and some blasty/riffy parts - but mostly just off-kilter blues rock.

No disrespect to people who like it, of course--it's definitely weird and different from anything else I've ever heard. I think my main complaint is that the metal sections feel pretty generic compared to the blues components, which have a ton of character.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:05 pm 

Yeah my beef is really that Z&A just always feels like a half-finished product. The debut was way worse about it, with the slave songs, weird songs, and metal songs all being entirely separate from one another with only one track trying to blend them. It's been a long while now since I heard Stranger Fruits but I remember walking away thinking something similar to what Birdman said. The metal parts just feel really tacked on and obligatory, like the creativity comes entirely from how odd it is that these sounds are sharing a record and much less from how they actually play off each other, and it certainly doesn't help that he's way better at the other elements than he is at metal.

Zeal and Ardor started because the dude used to go on 4chan and make threads that just said "name music genres and I'll blend two of them" and he'd just whip something up in his bedroom based on what was said. One time the two answers he got were "black metal" and "nigger music", and he figured that slave songs and metal could actually be a cool idea and went way further with it than he did with whatever goofy shit he was suggested previously. Zeal and Ardor sounds like a quick project that was scrambled together on a 4chan dare because that's exactly what it is.

I do think the idea is cool, and I do think he's got talent, I just think his songwriting skills still aren't up to snuff for me to really enjoy it in any way.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:05 pm 

I agree with the fact that Zeal and Ardor's album is lacking. I disagree with the notion that it's rated highly due to some sort of bullshit "virtue signalling" theory. I think most people find it really interesting because it is totally atypical and unique in the metal world right now, and I agree with that too. I thought the album was a totally interesting listen and there are lots of good stuff on there, that being said I just feel like the merging of ideas and genres could have been executed better. Also, that album seriously needeed to be pared down. There is a good album in there, but it's bloated as fuck. Ultimately, I think it just depends on what people value in their music: people who really value novelty are going to rate an album like Z&A higher than someone who just likes a well constructed, yet run of the mill album. There is a lot of music to listen to these days so anything that can help an album stand out is a massive boon, especially when it comes to year end lists.

WRT Loudwire list, theres lots of stuff on there that I wouldn't put near my year end list, but lots of pretty good choices I think: Visigoth, Hate Eternal, Amorphis, Daughters (not even remotely metal but whatever), The Ocean, Yob, Tribulation (forgot this even came out this year lol), and the Sleep albums are all really fucking good. Gets pretty goofy once you hit the top 10ish.

The decibel list is much better IMO, but theres some silly ones on there. Uada that high? It had some moments but nothing close to that good. I actually liked the new Skeletonwitch way better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:31 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah my beef is really that Z&A just always feels like a half-finished product. The debut was way worse about it, with the slave songs, weird songs, and metal songs all being entirely separate from one another with only one track trying to blend them. It's been a long while now since I heard Stranger Fruits but I remember walking away thinking something similar to what Birdman said. The metal parts just feel really tacked on and obligatory, like the creativity comes entirely from how odd it is that these sounds are sharing a record and much less from how they actually play off each other, and it certainly doesn't help that he's way better at the other elements than he is at metal.

Zeal and Ardor started because the dude used to go on 4chan and make threads that just said "name music genres and I'll blend two of them" and he'd just whip something up in his bedroom based on what was said. One time the two answers he got were "black metal" and "nigger music", and he figured that slave songs and metal could actually be a cool idea and went way further with it than he did with whatever goofy shit he was suggested previously. Zeal and Ardor sounds like a quick project that was scrambled together on a 4chan dare because that's exactly what it is.

I do think the idea is cool, and I do think he's got talent, I just think his songwriting skills still aren't up to snuff for me to really enjoy it in any way.

I actually agree with you guys that it feels a bit scrappy and unfinished, so I wouldn't say it's a 90%+ album or perfect or anything. It's weird indie art by a guy from this generation of ours, where we take elements and kind of tinker with them. I was just surprised to hear you say the execution was "shit" since I don't think it's anywhere close to that bad. He seems to be pretty serious about the theme and the music doesn't come off as a joke or anything. I guess we'll see if he pulls it together to make something really first rate. I like it and find it pretty cool as is, but there's a lot of potential to be mined in terms of catchier songs, a bit more variety between tracks, better integration, etc.

But it's got a real vision, a point of view and musical originality, all things I value very highly in any genre.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 pm 

Just noticed the new Sacrificium Carmen album was released a couple weeks ago. I loved their first demo so fucking much, but was kinda bored by their first album as it took a huge style change. This one sounds a bit more raw and relentless similar to the demo, but will have to give it a full listen tonight.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I actually agree with you guys that it feels a bit scrappy and unfinished, so I wouldn't say it's a 90%+ album or perfect or anything. It's weird indie art by a guy from this generation of ours, where we take elements and kind of tinker with them. I was just surprised to hear you say the execution was "shit" since I don't think it's anywhere close to that bad. He seems to be pretty serious about the theme and the music doesn't come off as a joke or anything. I guess we'll see if he pulls it together to make something really first rate. I like it and find it pretty cool as is, but there's a lot of potential to be mined in terms of catchier songs, a bit more variety between tracks, better integration, etc.

But it's got a real vision, a point of view and musical originality, all things I value very highly in any genre.

i've never heard of this band before yesterday, but after listening to some of their stuff, i fully agree with everything you just said. there's a cool idea, and the execution could (and hopefully will) be better, but it's hardly shit

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:45 am 

New Wilds Forlorn album Sapiens.. every time this guy pops up in any of his projects he delivers. Sorrowful atmospheric black metal with exceedingly good use of keys (synths and piano alike), the new album continues the trend of An Ode and We, the Damned. Excellent stuff once again ++

https://wildsforlorn.bandcamp.com/album/sapiens

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:58 pm 

So it's not out yet, but theres a new Beaten to Death album dropping December 24th and based on their past releases and the single this will absolutely be a late addition to the year end lists. Will definitely refrain from finalizing my list until its out!

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:14 pm 

So far my favorites have been:

Iron Void
Pale Divine
Mirror of Deception
Chapel of Disease
Windhand
Archgoat
Hangman's Chair
Gevurah
Sleep
Wayfarer
Windhand/Satan's Satyrs
Varathron
Wolvennest

Lots of great metal releases. My favorite album of the year is non-metal though.

I have a lot of metal releases to go through yet that could end in this list such as Voivod, Necros Christos, Obliteration, Mare, etc.

Also thank you to everyone who posted in this thread. I have found some great things while browsing here.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:12 pm 

An unfinished list of some things I've found interesting this year in metal, in no particular order...

Arkona - _Khram_ (everyone knows these guys by now, right? this is one of their better efforts, maybe even their best)
* Fav track: "Tseluya zhizn'"

Thy Catafalque - _Geometria_ (also hardly an obscure band by this point; I think this one is maybe just a notch below the superb _Sgurr_)
* Fav track: "Sarember"

Voivod - _The Wake_ (their best album since at least _Nothingface_, possibly _Dimension Hatross_)
* Fav track: "Sonic Mycelium"

Rivers of Nihil - _Where Owls Know My Name_ (I usually find tech death dull and repetitive, but this is an exception - not super-original, just really well done) https://riversofnihil.bandcamp.com/
* Fav track: "Subtle Change"

Kingcrow - _The Persistence_ (dark proggy metal with loads of pathos & atmosphere)

Redemption - _Long Night's Journey into Day_ (straight prog metal, which is not usually my thing, but this is their best & most energetic album to date in my view - fiery guitar solos & at times thrashy rhythms)
* Fav track: "Long Night's Journey into Day"

Amorphis - _Queen of Time_ (this one really blew me away with its relentlessly melodic approach a la _Elegy_; if it had come out right after _Elegy_ it would be acknowledged as a similar masterpiece)
* Fav track: "The Bee"

Haken - _Vector_ (a well-done mix of more modern and classic prog metal styles while still sounding fresh)
* Fav track: "Puzzle Box"

Orphaned Land - _Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs_ (their best since _Mabool_ IMO, though it doesn't have a track as awesome as "All Is One")
* Fav track: "In Propaganda"

Silent Stream of Godless Elegy - _Smutnice_ (eclectic Czech folk doom death metal, a bit like if Bela Bartok had a metal band; check out _Relic Dances_ and _Navaz_ first, but this is a worthy successor)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next