Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:47 pm 

Dimmu Borgir announce new details for a new EP, Interdimensional Summit, and new album, Eonian.

Quote:
The time has finally come! After more than seven years of silence, DIMMU BORGIR mark their epic return and unveil the first song of their new full-length album »Eonian«, due to be released on May 4th via Nuclear Blast.

This first track off the new record, the symphonically charged 'Interdimensional Summit', comes with a music video shot by Patric Ullaeus, who had previously worked with the band for the clips of 'Progenies of the Great Apocalypse', 'Sorgens Kammer - Del II' and the award-winning 'The Serpentine Offering'.
The song represents the more epic side of a devilish and diverse album, which pays tribute to all eras of the band's 25-years-long history.

The 7'' EP with the new track and 'Puritania (Live In Oslo)' is released today and available here: http://nblast.de/DimmuBorgirSummit

In addition, the pre-sale for the new album starts today, and »Eonian« will be available in the following formats:

Limited digipak
180g double vinyl (black, black&gold-splatter, gold, silver or black&white bicoloured)
Boxset (Digipak, bonus demo CD in cardboard, 2LP splatter vinyl, poster)
Boxset (Digipak, bonus demo CD in cardboard, 2LP picture vinyl, poster, photo card, sticker, silver mirror board box print - NB mailorder exclusive!)
Digital

Pre-order the format of your choice via this link: http://nblast.de/DimmuBorgirEonian

The track list of the new album reads as follows:
01. The Unveiling
02. Interdimensional Summit
03. Ætheric
04. Council Of Wolves And Snakes
05. The Empyrean Phoenix
06. Lightbringer
07. I Am Sovereign
08. Archaic Correspondence
09. Alpha Aeon Omega
10. Rite Of Passage

So far, DIMMU BORGIR have announced the following festival shows for 2018 - an extensive world tour will be announced soon:
22. - 24.06. F Clisson - Hellfest
05. - 07.07. E Barcelona - Rock Fest
02. - 04.08. D Wacken - Wacken Open Air
10. - 12.08. B Kortrijk - Alcatraz
16. - 18.08. N Horten - Midgardsblot Metalfestival

Being one of the successful extreme metal forges on the planet, DIMMU BORGIR have been dominating the symphonic black metal genre for 25 years. The songwriting core of DIMMU BORGIR furthermore consists of charismatic vocalist Shagrath (Official), as well as the string wizards Silenoz (Official) and Galder, but other familiar faces also emerge from the darkness: Drummer Daray and keyboarder Gerlioz are still part of the team, and Gaute Storaashelped with the choral arrangements for the majestic voices of the Schola Cantrum Choir. As the title »Eonian« indicates, the band's 10th full-length release is dealing with the illusion of time and marks a tribute to both the band's own past as well as the Norwegian black metal history.

Last edited by CradleOfBurzum on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:16 pm 

Dimmu Burger announce a pile of stuff you can throw your money at.

Last edited by schizoid on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 am 

These guys make Jari Mäenpää look like a veritable titan of industry.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:41 am 

Those re-releases are pure marketing but they make us to speak about the band again, which is what they want(and make some money indeed).

I am obviously curious about the new song, I hope they can release something worthwhile but I have big doubts.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 am 

At fucking last!

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 pm 

I'm sure this will please the vinyl collectors. I'll keep an eye out for the new album. The last one (back in 2010!!!) was boring, with the notable exception of the band-named track "Dimmu Borgir". That song is a fantastic symphonic extreme metal song.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:54 pm 

I remember being blown away with Gateways, but then the rest of the album was released.. I really hope the same isn't true for this little EP and the full length the single belongs to..

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
I remember being blown away with Gateways, but then the rest of the album was released.. I really hope the same isn't true for this little EP and the full length the single belongs to..

"Gateways" was alright but in my opinion "Dimmu Borgir" was easily the best track on "Abrahadabra". Other than that the album pretty much sucked and that is coming from someone who actually liked "In Sorte Diaboli" a lot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:11 pm 

Abrahadabra has a couple pretty good songs (the aforementioned self-titled track being one of them, as well as A Jewel Traced in Coal and Endings and Continuations), but most of the album is Dimmu at their most uninspired and lazy. The strongest thing about the band once they started using full orchestras was how they were able to balance the lush, elaborate symphonic backings with really intricate, interesting guitar work. Abrahadabra relies way too heavily on the orchestra the whole album, while simultaneously de-emphasizing the guitars to such a degree that they aren't even really playing real riffs on most of the songs; just lots of chugging and chords. It was intensely boring for the most part, and if what Shagrath and Silenoz have said about this new album is true at all (significantly less focus on the orchestra, greater focus on guitars and old school black metal atmosphere), then it should be a squillion times better than Abrahadabra just by design.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm 

I agree. The guitar riffs is one of the thing that made Enthrone Darkness Triumphant so interesting. It was very diverse, not just playing tremolo riffs typical for 2nd wave black metal, but using thrash and heavy metal riffs, just doing whatever fits the song.

Could it be that the decline in guitar work happened after Shagrath stopped playing it?

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 pm 

I do quite enjoy EDT, but that's the only album of theirs that I can listen to. I haven't heard anything from these guys in over 10 years any way.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 pm 

The band pulled off one of the best re-recordings ever in the Stormblast remake, so I hope they pull something out like that. More guitars would be nice, but In Sorte Diaboli was more guitar oriented and boring as shit. I actually still dig some of their '03-'05 material, it hasn't all aged terribly...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dimmu- ... -unveiled/

The record will have 10 tracks, but nothing has been posted yet in terms of titles, or teasers.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 pm 

I'm interested. There was an EP's worth of good material on Abrahadabra, so perhaps on this one as well.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
I'm interested. There was a single (eponymous cut) worth of good material on Abrahadabra, so perhaps on this one as well.

Fixed.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm 

Edit - Threads were merged.

Last edited by CradleOfBurzum on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:21 pm 

Very excited about this! I like all their albums!

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Vigintiseptem wrote:
I'm interested. There was a single (eponymous cut) worth of good material on Abrahadabra, so perhaps on this one as well.

Fixed.

Very true, but that song might be the single best one since... 1997? Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking this out. I always feel like I need to be on their team somewhat. My sister's friend's father was in an motorcycle club whose clubhouse was used as a rehearsal place for Dimmu Borgir some 10 years ago.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:29 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
I already posted a thread announcing the new album and new EP...
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 1&t=120017

Too bad. This is now the official new Dimmu Burger thread.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm 

They bring a really nice cover art this time.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:23 pm 

Edit - Threads merged.

Last edited by CradleOfBurzum on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Says who? Mine was posted way earlier, so my thread should be the default one just for that. OP didn't use the search function of this website before posting the thread.

I do agree and schizoid's post is completely out of place since he's not an admin. Reported.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:28 pm 

schizoid wrote:
CradleOfBurzum wrote:
I already posted a thread announcing the new album and new EP...
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 1&t=120017

Too bad. This is now the official new Dimmu Burger thread.

Hilarious! :lol:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:43 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Says who? Mine was posted way earlier, so my thread should be the default one just for that. OP didn't use the search function of this website before posting the thread.

Says me. The discussion is continuing just fine here, and your thread was buried anyway. Stop being a baby about everything.

Last.fm

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 pm 

Edit - Threads merged.

Last edited by CradleOfBurzum on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Admit it, you're only letting this thread continue because you hate my guts.

I think he allows it just to see if you are able not to complain of something for once.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm 

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was the last album of theirs I loved but for some reason I am really excited for this one, maybe it's them hyping the new album to be more old school black metal, and it's been like 7 years so maybe they had some interesting ideas growing.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was the last album of theirs I loved.

+1.
Death Cult had a few incredible songs, but it never clicked as a full piece to me. I'm really excited about the vinyl re-issues they are doing. I'll be getting Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, for sure. Enthrone is the album that got me into Dimmu.

Also, sorry about not noticing there was already a thread. When it was announced today with the release date and artwork, I was unaware a thread had been made about it. I knew there was one about the EP and a potential full length, but whatever.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Dimmu Burger thread.

Omg

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 pm 

Hmm, so now can someone tell Galder he still has an Old Man's Child album that needs to happen?

Man, 8 years since Abra. I remember seeing them on that tour and it was fun shit. Can't say I'm a fan of anything beyond EDT.

Anyone want to recommend something to dive into post-EDT? All I've heard were mixed-to-bad things. I know it's easy to just research and choose like usual but I think someone'd be able to make a great case for one of them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 pm 

Puritanical has aged fairly well... drums are pretty off the hook and around half of the tracks are damn good. "Puritania" is the throwaway.

This rips:

Last.fm

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 am 

Quote:
"Puritania" is the throwaway.

I like that song, although it's more industrial than their normal style.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 am 

Puritanical and Death Cult Armageddon are the ones to go for. Puritanical is less orchestra reliant and more based around crazy guitar work than DCA, but DCA is still super riffy when it wants to be (looking at you, Lepers Among Us and Cataclysm Children), plus DCA is just about the prime example of how to mix keyboards and guitars without one drowning out the other, unlike In Sorte Diaboli which is guitar-based but the songs and riffs are lame and uninspired, or Abrahadabra where the guitars might as well have not even been there, in addition the songs being lame and uninspired.

Also, listen to the Stormblast re-recording. This is the correct way to do an old album re-recording.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 am 

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to include the Stormblast re-recording as one of theirs I have listened to post-EDT. I liked it more than the original, in fact. So yeah that one's off the list but Puritanical I don't think I've ever heard more than a minute or two and DCA I haven't heard anything since it was released in 2003 (and even then not more than one song). I'll see about making time for the other two that were mentioned.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:45 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Vigintiseptem wrote:

Fixed.

The song titled Dimmu Borgir? That's one of their worst.

jimbies wrote:
Enthrone is the album that got me into Dimmu.

Me too, but EDT has aged horribly. Nowadays I feel that Relinquishment of Spirit and Flesh is that album's only truly great song (apart, of course, from Mourning Palace which has more nostalgia value than any DB song).

Diamhea wrote:
Puritanical has aged fairly well...

I'd argue that PME is their best album, at least as an entirety, followed by SBD, For All Tid and DCA. (This acronym business doesn't quite work with the debut album.)

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:45 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
"Puritania" is the throwaway.

I like that song, although it's more industrial than their normal style.

They stayed more industrial in a conceptional way since Puritanical...Like If them really have found their identity. And i like that song too,it's well heavy and different from the rest of the album.

Last edited by Necrobiotik on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:49 am 

In case someone is really in dire need of teasers, there was a short one back in 2015, maybe you forgot about it.

https://www.facebook.com/Shagrathoffici ... 010695315/

Shagrath's Facebook page has some other Dimmu related videos as well.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 am 

So what the hell have they been doing the last eight years?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 am 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:

Diamhea wrote:
Says me. The discussion is continuing just fine here, and your thread was buried anyway. Stop being a baby about everything.

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Oh yea, the discussion in this thread is really thriving, ALL five posts related to the topic. Since you deem it OK, I'll make sure to create new threads in the future on a topic that already has an existing thread for it then! Nice precedent you're setting here.
Admit it, you're only letting this thread continue because you hate my guts.

C'mon, guys. :nono:

Cool but what if someone wants to rightfully continue the original post with updates for the new album (as it should be)? :scratch:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Cool but what if someone wants to rightfully continue the original post with updates for the new album (as it should be)? :scratch:

Should normally be fine, but his thread was buried and didn't have many of the details since they weren't available at that time. He edited it after this thread was posted and started rolling, but this is just pointless to dwell on. No more commentary on this matter - flexibility to rules exist pursuant to the user's behaviour.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next