Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:09 pm 

It definitely holds up. A good album with lots of tracks that I will return to repeatedly. What was strange was the lack of soloing.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:28 pm 

Video for Blood Ran Cold.

So I listened to the CD a couple more times, more or less equal to Seventh Swamphony, not as catchy but still. Into The Black Marsh is a gem, sort of reminds me of something from 12 Gauge. I'd give it an 8.5/10. I'm glad this CD was great, worth the wait. Now to wait for the next Falconer album.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

Pretty decent. I really liked the song Paystreak.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm 

Another solid album as expected. I agree with ChildClownOutlet that it's basically just as good as Seventh Swamphony. Although it could surpass it in the long run. It misses some of Swamphony's immediate catchiness but it has that old Kalmah intensity to it. And the production is a bit rougher and sharper, which I think fits the band more. I thought Swamphony was a bit too safe in that regard.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:35 pm 

Gute album.

Looking forward to reading Diamhea's review!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 pm 

I find it better with each listen. Seems like it has all the elements that makes them great.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 am 

So far "Into the Black Marsh" and especially "Waiting in the Wings" are holding up the most for me after many spins. Definitely a killer album but those two are modern classics.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 pm 

Through the Shallow Waters is killer. That melody that pops up around :24 is so catchy.

Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 am 

I have followed Kalmah since the first album and Palo is one of their best ones. A great return to form after the last three that were all decent, but not good enough.
I love the main guitar theme in Take Me Away. This song might be the second best they have ever written, only beaten by Moon Of My Nights. Other highlights include Through the Shallow Waters and Waiting In the Wings.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am 

At work right now, so I can't listen to the new stuff yet, but this is good news. Kalmah were one of the first extreme metal bands I got into and I've never disliked an album that bears their name. Judging by the comments here so far, I'm in for a treat.

Edit: Rereading this thread like a week later and I realised that my phone had predicted the word 'twat' instead of 'treat'... :facepalm:

- Tim Minchin

Last edited by OlioTheSmall on Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:39 pm 

So I assume the last song, The Stalker, is meant to be a followup to Seventh Swamphony's The Trapper. What do you guys think of those two songs? I personally like The Trapper better. I think part of it has to do with the mixing job that Seventh Swamphony has. It's a bit sharper and more biting than Palo's, which makes for a great atmosphere in The Trapper that's kind missing in The Stalker. Although I haven't given The Stalker (or Palo as a whole, really) enough listens to fully digest it. They might even out eventually, I'm not sure.

MLG_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:53 pm 

They sound like pirate metal as of these past couple of albums, replace Pekka with the singer from Alestorm, throw in some blast beats and you got 'extreme pirate metal'.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 pm 

Pirate metal? Lol.

"Waiting in the Wings" is still so fucking badass. Definitely one of their best tunes in a long while. Stolid balance of everything that makes them great.

Last.fm

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 am 

After meaning to check this out since I seen this thead, I finally listened to the new album tonight. Man, Kalmah never dissapoint. They're just as aggressive as they were in their early days and have gone nearly 20 years without ever putting out a bad album. I'll have to listen a few more times to digest it some more, but it gave me everything I want when I think of Kalmah, so it's another winner for the Finnish group.

- Tim Minchin

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 pm 

I haven't listened well enough to give a proper review, but I haven't skipped on any tracks from it yet.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2