Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm 

Man i remember the time i heard Deicide's first record. A friend brought it over to my house and he played it while we were shooting pool and holy shit i was not prepared for what was i was hearing. It was my first experience with death metal and it was horrifying. Yeah i know guys, i was a bitch. :gay:

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:41 pm 

First black metal album I ever tried was ‘hvis lyset tar oss’ and I don’t think I was ready for it. Found it super disturbing at the time. Maybe not the easiest entry point to the genre.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:45 pm 

Absolutely love the first Deicide record! To answer this question, I may actually go with "Hell Awaits", since I was 14 and still had the "fear of God". To this day, a favorite!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:21 pm 

Hearing Black Sabbath recordings after hearing them on Ozzy live albums for so long. There were certain primitive features about the production I just wasn't prepared for. The ending of Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath in particular; I was used to that being a guitar jam over a tom-tom rhythm. Hearing the original ending made it feel like my brain was being sucked out of my head to another dimension. Not to mention that wailing "WHERE CAN YOU RUN TO" bridge. Did not see that coming.

Nothing really scared me after that, though hearing Mental Funeral first time was like hearing a classic horror film put to heavy metal. Most extreme metal is too abrasive to be scary, but Mental Funeral had a masterful use of light and shade that at no point felt like the band was "wimping out" as the hessians say.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:28 pm 

Silencer's "Death - Pierce Me" album had some moments where I felt uneasy listening to. I have since come to love the album and consider it the best DSBM album ever recorded.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm 

When I first heard Ordo ad Chao, I got - thoroughly unsettled feeling that, no exaggeration, hung around with me for hours afterwards. That album's mixture of despair, hatred and flat-out bizarreness has this penetrating gloom that's just so hard to shake! Being my first exposure to Mayhem, I was totally unprepared and really considered bringing it back to the shop. Now I'm very glad I didn't!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 pm 

When I first heard Kembatinan Premaster by Havohej I was rather unsettled by it. It's just so utterly strange, nihilistic and seemingly devoid of recognizable human concerns for composition and form, almost as if it was actually made by some non-human entity of pure malice.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:05 pm 

I wouldn't say I was "scared", but there's some albums that I listen to when just sitting down with my headphones in at night that tend to sound really dark and enthralling in a very unnerving way. Impetuous Ritual's Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence is one of the strongest with just the way it progresses with the big "woah" moments being the two longest pieces. Khanate tends to be really fucked up as well, but that's largely thanks to Alan Dubin's deranged lyrics and vocals. "Fields" is particularly nerve wracking.

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 pm 

I was home alone in high school and was up late at night working on some homework. I had just got Lunar Aurora's Andacht so I was listening to that for the first time. I legitimately thought someone was inside my house when the song Geisterschiff started.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 pm 

Deicide's debut was the first album I thought of because I've heard so many people say that album was one of the first to actually scare them, and of course it's in the OP lol.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 pm 

My mind went straight to P.H.O.B.O.S. One of the best industrial metal bands out there with a oppressive and terrifying nature. Doom and gloom all the way through. If industrial sounds put you on edge good luck making it through an album from these guys. Anyone looking where to start should check out their album Tectonics. Highly underrated!

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 pm 

PeteGas wrote:
First black metal album I ever tried was ‘hvis lyset tar oss’ and I don’t think I was ready for it. Found it super disturbing at the time. Maybe not the easiest entry point to the genre.

Weird, to me it's a very relaxed and relaxing album, mellow and peaceful. What would you consider an easy entry point then?

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:30 pm 

Abruptum. That's all I'm going to mention.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 pm 

I remember feeling really disturbed after hearing Molesting the Decapitated for the first time. It was genuinely gross, dirty sounding music. Hypnotic enough to get me through the whole thing, but "wrong"-sounding enough to leave me questioning why the musicians made it, or why it had fans. Amusing that after all these years, slam has become such a homogenized trend that mostly inspires eye-rolling from me rather than genuine revulsion.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:00 pm 

Though I've wished otherwise, I can't say I've ever heard music that genuinely disturbed or frightened me by its nature. The situation is much different obviously if my brain chemistry has been altered, ha. Hell I got freaked out by Enya once when I was stoned in my car late at night, sitting in the driveway staring at the dense, moonlit forest that seemed to be encroaching more and more onto the property. I got this image of these weird little tree bark golem creatures marching in a circle around my car in ceremonial preparation for god knows what. I pretty much just sat there bug-eyed like the driver in the Dazed and Confused mailbox scene, which is to say,

On a similar note, sometime around 2008 I had a nightmarish reaction to an anti-anxiety med (fuckin' Abilify) and pretty much had a nervous breakdown. During the two or three months this was happening I couldn't listen to any music, let alone metal, and I'd just gotten Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum in the mail. Having heard Kenose and Fas by them already, I knew there was no way in hell my brain was gonna be able to handle something like that, so every day I'd see that horrid album cover staring back at me; it reminded me of a scene in a Ligotti story where a very much mentally deteriorating character hallucinates the blue, asphyxiated head of a baby in the water of a toilet bowl, and, needless to say, this isn't the sort of thing you want hanging around in your psyche while you're losing your mind.

All things considered, DSO might be one of the best at making the listener very uncomfortable through sheer force of will: the dissonance, the crazy song structures that manage to stay in crescendo mode no matter what's happening, the repetition and song lengths. Not really "creepy" as much as "unrelenting." A lot of that "zeuhl" music has the same effect on me.

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 pm 

Probably first hearing Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom around 1992. I was living in Poland at the time and my best friend had just picked up some pirated cassettes from the local flea market. Most were your standard big-name death metal releases, but this one stood out because of the cover art and song titles. I just remember putting the tape in and being petrified when hearing that intro. Then the music started and we both agreed that it was the most evil thing we ever heard. I couldn't find another copy so my friend dubbed it for me.

There was some story in the news that summer about suspected "Satanic ritual" killings and it was all I could think about when listening to that tape. I remember we would call the band "Blasphemp" for the longest time because of the logo, and I think it was misspelled that way somewhere on the tape too. Anyway, I was both terrified and fascinated by it and it was my first exposure to what I later learned to be the black metal aesthetic.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Silencer's "Death - Pierce Me" album had some moments where I felt uneasy listening to. I have since come to love the album and consider it the best DSBM album ever recorded.

That album didn't unsettle me, but seeing it cut with the movie Begotten sure did. That was my first introduction to that particular "film". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XynYHKpw0Rk

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 pm 

Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice by Deathspell Omega especially the song "First Prayer" genuinely creeped me out back when I was first starting to get into black metal and then, of course, the rest of the album gave off some purely evil vibes, to say the least.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 pm 

Wormplegm's "In an Excruciating Way..." was downright terrifying for me at 14. The vocal work on that album is absolutely fucking incredible.

As for unsettling, Skepticism's Untitled has this super lovecrafty and Euclidean feel to it that always creeped me out.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
PeteGas wrote:

Weird, to me it's a very relaxed and relaxing album, mellow and peaceful. What would you consider an easy entry point then?

At the time I probably hadn’t listened to much extreme metal of any sort. The cold atmoaphere, buzzing guitars and mostly the vocals really weirded me out at first. I thought it was totallly creepy.

For me something like A Blaze in the Northern Sky would be much more approachable. Chunkier more memorable riffs and the vocals are a little less out there. For me anyways.

Or early Rotting Christ. Or any of the more thrash based stuff like later Immortal or Destroyer 666 (if those count)

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:29 am 

Quote:
Hell I got freaked out by Enya once

Nothing unusual about that, Enya does creepy stuff sometimes.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 am 

Tartaros - The Red Jewel

It sounds like someone who is demonically possessed having a mental breakdown in Luigi's mansion. Whatever they are doing with the guitar production is crazy, it overwhelms you with headphones, it's almost like the left and right channels are off-sync by just enough to make it sound twice as fast...maybe? It's already fast enough I can't tell what's going on, but I like it!

Jester66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am 

Way back in 1985 when I was 12, a friend's older brother played a new record he had just gotten for us. It was Bathory's "The Return..." and it definitely scared 12 year old me. Later became one of my favorites.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:19 am 

I don't think there are albums that have genuinely scared me. There was a time when I thought death metal was non-music, but it wasn't scary. Some stuff, like screams of agony and horror can be disturbing, and things like sudden loud samples after you think an album has already ended have startled me, but that's pretty much it.

Mandex75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 am 

A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Some of the eeriest atmosphere/riffs ever on that one. Hearing the intros to Acheron's Rites of the Black Mass album also made quite an impact on me back in 1992. Death SS' stuff with Paul Chain on guitar was also something genuinely scary at the time.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:50 am 

When I was 13, the cover art for Pungent Stench's Dirty Rhymes & Psychtronic Beats disturbed the ever living shit out of me. I randomly stumbled upon this while flipping through the racks at the CD store in the mall while searching for Primus' Pork Soda. I had seen things like Cannibal Corpse before, but this one struck a nerve with me because the depiction was of a real person and not some cartoonish illustration. Mind you, this was the US censored cover, which is a close up of the masked face.

This disturbed so much me that I dared not even listen to this band, I just could not work up the nerve. That changed in 2001 when I heard Masters Of Mortal, Servants Of Sin and I was almost let down to hear that Pungent Stench was an extremely conventional meat-and-potatoes death metal band (a genre I had become very well acquainted with since that encounter in 1993).
Obliteration

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 am 

I'm going to 3rd Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice by Deathspell Omega. I've had two strange and abnormal occurrences happen around me that has only ever happened while listening to that album.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am 

When I was a little kid, I was terrified of Megadeth :lol:, Dave Mustaine scared the shit out of me...

On a more serious note, I would nominate Funeral Mist - "Salvation", just a very weird and creepy sounding black metal album. Acid Bath - "When the Kite String Pops" fucked with me quite a bit too...the whole album is pretty fucked up and dark but for some reason, that acoustic folk track at the end has always given me the creeps. I've heard it 1,000's of times by now and it still has the same effect.

Also, My Dying Bride's "As the Flower Withers" has always unsettled me due to the way the violins are used, against Aaron's rabid death growls. Kind of sounds like an undead orchestra as you get dragged into hell :lol:.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Wormplegm's "In an Excruciating Way..." was downright terrifying for me at 14. The vocal work on that album is absolutely fucking incredible.

As for unsettling, Skepticism's Untitled has this super lovecrafty and Euclidean feel to it that always creeped me out.

I actually totally forgot about this one. That Wormphlegm song got under my skin in a manner that very little music has. I think for me, it was the lyrics more than anything. Very rarely do lyrics affect me in any way, but the concept and delivery got to me. The idea of good people who did great things getting rewarded by being eternally tortured is a very dark idea, and they deliver it in a manner that is very compelling.

In all the other situations, it was either inexperience or a particular context that made the music scary. I remember being 7 and being absolutely terrified of Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry. A bit silly but I had no idea about almost any music. After I had first been getting into metal, I heard Children of Bodom and was a bit uncomfortable. At that point my exposure had been Metallica and not much else, so it was like a whole other world. I look back on that feeling as being a bit silly, because TBH CoB is pretty much child's play compared to shit like Wormphlegm or Silencer.

The most interesting story was how I got kind of weirded out by "Hundred Wrathful Deities" by Evile. It wasn't really due to the music itself because I had listened to the album a lot and I liked that track. But I was basically alone in the woods, tending a fire, and was listening to music to pass time. That song came, and I was out scavenging for wood, and for some reason, being totally isolated that night with the song playing weirded me out. I had a feeling of sudden dread that really fucked me up. It's pretty stupid, but it was hard to shake. Had to play AC/DC the rest of the night.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 am 

I got into black metal through Anthems to The Welkin at Dusk, which I found exhilarating, but around the same time I was checking out the pre Nightside Eclipse releases, and theres one with really muddy production and super loud, echoed vocals, and when I put it on it scared the shit out of me.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 am 

When I was about 13 years old, I remember getting scared by Slipknot, their looks and that videoclip they did for Left Behind. Afterward, and when I got really into heavier, darker music, I never really got unsettled or scared quite as much. Maybe with some DSBM stuff like Austere or Xasthur?

As for other stuff that I really came to love later, like death metal and black metal, I always felt both appeal and repulsion toward it before really getting into the music. Like, it was unsettling and disturbing, but I kept coming back to it, like with Cryptopsy or Decapitated, and I eventually really got into the music and loved it.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:10 am 

That damn scream that comes after the clean intro for Silencer's "Death - Pierce Me" startled the SHIT out of me the first time I heard it.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 am 

Metal one is AGRYPNIE - 16[485]. It is so abstract that it really can provoke some subconscious associations.

Non metal one is of course Univers zero - Heresie. Sounds like a soundtrack to a horror movie, their darkest album.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am 

Entails ripped from a virgins cunt. That is some dank, dark shit to be hearing for the first time driving around at midnight on the local independent radio's metal program :-D

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 am 

Some of the samples at the beginning of each song on Necroticism are pretty unsettling

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:42 am 

thrashinbatman wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

I actually totally forgot about this one. That Wormphlegm song got under my skin in a manner that very little music has. I think for me, it was the lyrics more than anything. Very rarely do lyrics affect me in any way, but the concept and delivery got to me. The idea of good people who did great things getting rewarded by being eternally tortured is a very dark idea, and they deliver it in a manner that is very compelling.

Add me to the list. I was also in my early teens when I first heard Wormphlegm as my brother was listening to it. That was a genuinely unsettling experience.
Even earlier, I heard Mortician, and the horror movie samples scared me, although that is the only thing I remember. It doesn't take much to scare a 11-12 year old kid.

... fast forward 14 years or so, and I fell asleep at a Gnaw Their Tongues concert. So much for creepy music in my life.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

ManAtArms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 am 

I'm not scared by whole albums at all, but sometimes certain tracks or instrumentals can have an really unsettling effect. What get's me the most is not the "evil" stuff but the combination of melancholy and creepiness. As in...

UNCLE ACID - NIGHT CREEPER

I walked with "Yellow Moon" in the ear during an cold february night through the party- and redlight-district of an big city at 4 a.m. Yes, and the moon was full. Goosebumps. Maybe the nightcreeper faild me by a whisker. "Melody Lane" and "Slow Death" are unsettling as well even they sound "sweet" in the first moment.

So I find my goosebumps less with metal-bands and more with psych-stuff

HAWKWIND - all instrumental parts from the s/t-debut are like one unsettling piece of music.

WHITE NOISE - AN ELECTRIC STORM - The B-side is an scary LSD-trip...

BLACK SABBATH - Always found the instrumental parts of "Warning" in combi with "Sleeping Village" from the debut really unsettling and atmospheric. I'm even impressed by the much maligned "FX" from VOL. 4. Sounds like walking at night through an moor and hearing unidentifiable echoe-noises.

One thing that makes music scary, as posters mentioned here, is the abstinence of traditional song-structures and the reach for uniqueness. So a lot of Black/Death that sounds like your favorite bands and the appearance of the expected Slayer-solo + typical break brings one too much into comfort-zone...

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:18 am 

when doing my morning newspaper rounds in the winter my shuffle often put Mortician or other horror sample bands on, I knew what was coming but still sometimes in the dark it was pretty unsettling, often when I hear it now, I still think about those rounds.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 am 

true_death wrote:
When I was a little kid, I was terrified of Megadeth :lol:, Dave Mustaine scared the shit out of me....

Dave Mustaine scares me now dude. No shame.

As for me, I don't think I've ever been scared by music per say but its come close. Celtic Frost's Human was a bit of a shock to the system the first time I listened to Morbid Tales. I don't think anyone could pull off a whole minuet of screaming for an intro other than Tom G. Warrior.

More recently the cover art to Suicide Euphoria stuck in my mind for a few hours after I saw it. Not listened to the music but I'm not sure I want to.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 am 

Cursarion wrote:
I don't think there are albums that have genuinely scared me.

None but the thunder in the middle of Capitel III: Graablick blev hun vaer from (1995) Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler did frighten me quite some times. :-D

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next