Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:46 pm 

What I’m looking for is what bands you would like to hear swap material and cover at least one song from each other’s discography. While I’ve heard bands outside of metal do this, for example Between The Buried And Me and The Dear Hunter covering each other’s songs for an EP released alongside their tour together, I can’t say I’ve heard of many metal bands doing the same. Bear in mind this is not about just one band you’d think cover another band well, but rather two bands that you think would do something interesting with each other’s material mutually. So what bands would you pick, and what songs would you like them to cover from each other? Maybe you want to pick two bands because they have certain sonic similarities, or maybe you’d rather pick two bands that couldn’t be anymore different and you just want to hear what sort of wild things they do with each other’s material. It could even be entire albums if you can make a compelling case for it! Also, while we’re on the topic, if you do know any bands that have already done this, feel free to mention them.

For example, I would like to hear At The Gates cover something off of Heartwork, and Carcass to cover something from Slaughter Of The Soul. If I had to pick songs, I’d want to hear AtG cover something with a little more speed like This Mortal Coil, and Carcass to cover something like Nausea, as that song has a bit more ferocity, and I think Walker’s signature snarl would sound killer on this song. Both albums were some of the earliest forays into Melodic Death Metal, and while there are many sonic similarities between the two records, both bands were looking at the soon to be Melodic Death Metal sound through different lenses. AtG had came from a background of Swedish Death Metal, meaning a more heavy emphasis on groove, with Carcass being one of the progenitors to grindcore, leading to a bit more speed than what you’d typically find on Slaughter Of The Soul.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:55 pm 

Ive always enjoyed this idea. There was an old split with a band called Loop and Godflesh where they covered eachothers songs. Loop covered "Like Rats", cant remember what Godflesh covered but that might peak your interest.

I'd love to hear Whitechapel cover "Prelude to Repulsion" and Suffocation to cover "Father of Lies".
Immortal to cover "Wings" and Vader to cover "Withstand The Fall of Time".
Behemoth to cover "Execration Text" and Nile to cover "Slaves Shall Serve".

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm 

I don't see much sense in similar bands covering each other, esp. within the confines of metal. all those 90s tribute albums are 95% unlistenable garbage :/ sorries to be a party pooper...

I prefer it when bands from largely different genres do covers, and in a tasteful manner, not just bcs the label suggested/enforced it. the candlemass/entombed split is a good case of that, the haunted's candlemass cover even better. so i'd like to see more of that.

on a different level, i'd (maybe) like to see more established bands do covers of lesser known ones, that would mean a lot... if i liked the covers, of course :D

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:40 pm 

aloof wrote:
on a different level, i'd (maybe) like to see more established bands do covers of lesser known ones, that would mean a lot... if i liked the covers, of course :D

Yeah this is an idea I've always loved but can't really think of any real examples off the top of my head.

First example off the top of my head is obviously In Flames and Satanic Surfers covering each other, but it's only half metal and I don't think it was necessarily planned. iirc IF covered Strong and Smart and so a few years later SS decided to cover Episode 666 to return the favor.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:59 pm 

What we need is more Heavy and Power Metal bands covering extreme stuff, like Thrash, Death or Black Metal, as of now, Pharaoh covering Slayer is the only instance of such a thing I can recall right now.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:05 pm 

I propose a Cradle of Filth / Nightwish switcheroo.

COF covers The Pharaoh Sails to Orion. The male vocals in the original can be handled by Dani Filth doing his deep narration voice. Whoever is doing female vocals in Cradle these days (since Lindsey left) won't sound exactly like Tarja, but I think it could still work. Instrumentally the cover could get slightly heavier with the guitar sound, and possibly add brief tasteful blast beats here and there.

(Modern) Nightwish covers Her Ghost in the Fog. Any female vocals in the original should be handled by Floor, of course. But I think Floor should also do some of the Dani Filth parts in the verses, for an alternating male / female pattern with Marco.

Daniels 4 Beasts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 pm 

aloof wrote:

I like that idea, it's similar to an album of covers of the band's influences. Lots of bands have done that I've discovered dozens of other bands by listening to those albums, so while the bands that got covered may not have been lesser-known, they were to me at that time.

It would be cool to hear Yngwie Malmsteen or Buckethead play with a band like Dragonforce. Maybe that's already happened for all I know, I don't follow any of them closely enough.

I know John Dowland isn't metal but since we're talking about covers I can hear gothic/doom (or "Peaceville Records") versions of his stuff.

Ok strictly metal cover swap. Slayer - The Time to Kill is Now & Cannibal Corpse - Silent Scream. The original recordings & lyrics sound like they're backwards. With covers it might be too obvious when the bands or genres are similar & then the cover version could work but not be very interesting because it's too similar to the original. The risk/reward seems to be greater with covers of a different genre. How many metal bands have covered Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah? That sounds like a job for Judas Priest & Rob Halford.

Last edited by Daniels 4 Beasts on Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:46 pm 

Century Media's compilation Covering 20 Years of Extremes is almost exactly this idea. Some of it is kind of cool, a lot is just so-so.

I think part of the idea of this might be to choose covers that force a band who has hinted at certain directions to try and go full-bore with them.

One that came to mind is that 90s-era Iced Earth has Matt Barlow growl the odd line here and there, but nothing extended. So I'd like to see them take on a full-blown death metal track for fun. Something with some thrash to it, so maybe some Vader, but I'm unsure of the right song. From the other direction, Vader could probably make something like "Disciples of the Lie" even nastier.

Similarly, mid-90s Nevemore brushes up against death metal-like parts more so than almost any other non-harsh vocal band, so I'd like to see them do some Morbid Angel, maybe something like "Blood On My Hands." And then Morbid Angel could try something like "Ambivalent" to take it even further.

Or for something absolutely ridiculous, see what the heck would happen if Nightwish covered "Hammer Smashed Face" or "Frantic Disembowlement" and Cannibal Corpse took a swing at "Wish I Had An Angel" or "Walking In the Air".

Or see if Dream Theater can make "You Suffer" into a half-hour epic, and see what late-80s Napalm Death does with "A Change of Seasons."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:04 pm 

I think it'd be extremely interesting to hear Metallica cover any of their thrash contemporaries, so have them cover something like "Into the Pit" by Testament, and Testament can cover pretty much anything from the first four or five Metallica albums and it'd probably work very well.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Daniels 4 Beasts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:25 pm 

Considering the connection between hardcore & grindcore I can think of a couple others. What about a death/grind cover of Husker Du's Land Speed Record album? 17 tracks in about 27 minutes. I can also hear a grindcore cover of No Means No's 0+2=1. The original clearly has a bass riff which I think could still work well layered with grinding grindcore guitars & maybe sped up to grindcore pace. & since No Means No is Canadian why not a band like Fuck the Facts. I couldn't give No Means No anything to cover since I think they're retired.

Unleashed does Viking metal and they're a bit different in that they don't sound like a black metal band. So that presents a genre-crossing cover swap with an actual black/viking metal band. How about
Unleashed - 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne)
Enslaved - The Great Battle of Odalheim

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 am 

Subrick wrote:
I think it'd be extremely interesting to hear Metallica cover any of their thrash contemporaries, so have them cover something like "Into the Pit" by Testament, and Testament can cover pretty much anything from the first four or five Metallica albums and it'd probably work very well.

ok... metallica would never cover their thrash contemporaries, for the obvious reasons. moreover, Testament were pretty vocal in slagging metallica when they went Loading, and since then... well, let's put it this way: metallica have toured with just about any band you could mention ...except Testament.

as for the latter bit, Testament have covered pretty much the entire "first four or five Metallica albums" in their career, and it might have worked very well too, depending on who you ask.

Spoiler: show
yes, I hate Testament. but I'm writing this as a jest, nothing serious :) carry on, on topic pls.

Daniels 4 Beasts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:39 pm 

Seeing Entombed mentioned earlier in the thread got me thinking again. What if Metallica covered something from Entombed's death 'n roll period, and Entombed covered something from Load or Reload?

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 pm 

I kind of want to hear "Fuel" with an HM2.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 pm 

Daniels 4 Beasts wrote:
Seeing Entombed mentioned earlier in the thread got me thinking again. What if Metallica covered something from Entombed's death 'n roll period, and Entombed covered something from Load or Reload?

I could see Corrosion of Conformity pulling off Load/ReLoad as well, seeing as they're basically COC songs anyway.

I'd be curious to see Exodus and Testament perform sets of each other's material, especially seeing how Zetro has that crossover between the two.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:20 pm 

When they were active, I actually asked Don Anderson of Agalloch if they were ever going to cover other bands again, like they did with Kneel to the Cross by Sol Invictus, and he told me they were not interested in doing so for the time being. I always hope for a great cover or Ulver's track I Troldskog faren vild or basically anything else from Bergtatt or maybe even Nattens Madrigal. Ulver has remixed and covered several artists in the past and managed to give them a whole new and freash spin. I could imagine Ulver doing a great cover of song like Limbs, Falling Snow, I Am the Wooden Doors, or In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 pm 

I wanna hear Iron Maiden cover Dio's Holy Diver

I also wanna hear Metallica covering Megadeth

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:27 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I also wanna hear Metallica covering Megadeth

Considering that Metallica continued to use some of Dave's riffs for awhile, they kind of did...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:38 pm 

Back when the Big 4 tours were happening, I had hoped they'd release a comp of the bands covering 1 song from each other band.

Metallica - Hanger 18
Metallica - Seasons In The Abyss
Metallica - In The End
Megadeth - One
Megadeth - South Of Heaven
Megadeth - Madhouse
Slayer - Damage Inc.
Slayer - Rattlehead
Slayer - Deathrider
Anthrax - Hit The Lights
Anthrax - Peace Sells
Anthrax - The Antichrist

And then a studio recorded version of War Pigs where each singer took a line each in order.
Dave: Generals gathered in their masses
Joey: Just like witches at black masses
Tom: Evil minds that plot destruction
James: Sorcerer of death's construction

Each drum fill in between would be completely identifiable by their respective styles. COME ON GUYS! COME ON.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:30 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Metallica - Hanger 18

I'm having a really hard time imagining Kirk playing those solos.

On topic, I would like to hear Borknagar do something from the Queen catalogue (shame only that Vintersorg left).

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:11 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Megadeth - One

Oh no. I don't think they're best suited to cover ones that require a strong melodic vocal performance to carry through much of it. "A Tout Le Monde" is the rare exception. I think "Master of Puppets" would work better.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:28 am 

Nightwish covering Seventh Son, the whole thing.

It makes perfect sense to me; Floor has already done 'Evil that Men Do', and she can sing it as well as ol' Brucie, so the vocals will be spot on. It'll shut Marco out vocally, which is nice too - he'd be too busy playing. The guitar work would stretch Empuu & Troy out, though they might struggle here and there, it'd be good to hear them both play something not totally chug chug chug chug.

The main event of course, is a 1980s concept album given to Tuomas - he could go full Disney Princess on it with all of the keyboardy synthy orchestral Finnish Wakeman singing animal stuff he wants, and it would probably work.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:29 am 

I'm torn between jimbies' and Methuen's as for most obvious, sensible and profitble idea ever... have you guys considered band management as a career? :D

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:06 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Or see if Dream Theater can make "You Suffer" into a half-hour epic, and see what late-80s Napalm Death does with "A Change of Seasons."

I really wanna hear this!

I think I'd like to hear Behemoth and Nile cover each other. I also wanna hear Darkthrone and Cannibal Corpse cover each other, be fun to listen to for about 2 minutes.

olliegill1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am 

Madder mortem did a vocal cover of iron maidens revelations. id love to hear them do more of those.

Daniels 4 Beasts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm 

Another I just thought of:
Neil Young - a few options, such as Bullshit Propaganda, Man Made Hell
Extreme Noise Terror - Piece of Crap

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:38 pm 

aloof wrote:
I'm torn between jimbies' and Methuen's as for most obvious, sensible and profitble idea ever... have you guys considered band management as a career? :D

My ideal job would be arranging lunatic cover scenarios. Must play the lottery more often.

To add to the thread -

Paradise Lost covering Hawkwind - I'm thinking current-era PL vs. mid-80s Hawkwind circa 'Black Sword' - it'd be easier to get a power metal band to do that, but I think Paradise Lost have the musicianship to make something interesting, on the guitar, out of all of the synthy-electronicy weirdness that shows up on Hawkwind records.

Daniels 4 Beasts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:30 pm 

what would be good bands to cover wesley willis? I imagine crusty/grindcorey bands, especially the one about not being paid enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTbGydPYTkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SO9ZAkS_fE

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 pm 

I really wish Enslaved would release an album of covers. Their live covers are fucking incredible, as are the two they've recorded. I'd love to see them extend this to bands like Jethro Tull, Yes, and Asia.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 pm 

Back in the early 2000's I remeber Moonspell and Cradle of Filth touring togheter a few times, and both bands did some good covers of Mr. Crowley.

CoF also released Amor e Morte, at the time I remeber a mention of it being dedicated to their portuguese fan base, but this might be wrong, not exactly sure of it, just one of those rumours that appeared.

Because of all of that I remeber really wanting both bands doing a cover from each other back then.

Never tought of any specific songs before but I feel Moonspell could do something really interesting with Summer Dying Fast.

As for CoF, Full Moon Madness would be my 1st choice, but I'm having trouble picturing Dani pronouncing all of the Portuguese lyrics, 2 words was alredy quite the strugle, maybe Mephisto instead.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:12 pm 

I'd like to hear Satan's Host (with Harry) doing Judas Priest - Exciter. And Priest to do Satan's Host - Black Stele. Really they both have a bunch of songs that would fit the bill, but those are a couple of my favorites from each band.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:14 pm 

This sounds like an awesome idea and I'd really like to hear bands do it.

At first I started thinking about bands i really like that have some similarities cover eachother, for example, like having Anaal Nathrakh and Dragged Into Sunlight trade off and cover material, but then I think that the differences wouldn't stand out enough and that it would probably usually turn out better if bands of different sub-genres covered eachother.

I wonder if it would sound any good at all if old school death and black bands tried to cover eachother or if they could pull it off?

Could Mayhem or Emperor take songs by Immolation or Morbid Angel and put their own black metal twist on OSDM and have it come out sounding ok? Could Immolation or Morbid Angel give Mayhem or Emperor songs a death metal feel?

There's all kinds of possibilities, even outside of metal (time to go off on a tangent lol...)

For example, I'm a HUGE fan of unusual prog rock bands like Goblin, Van Der Graaf Generator and Comus, and then i love experimental industrial black-metal style bands like Axis of Perdition, Gnaw Their Tongues and Terra Tenebrosa.

I'd love to maybe hear Terra Tenebrosa or Axis of Perdition cover Goblin's material, particularly the stuff they did with Dario Argento, or hear any of those 3 bands cover Van Der Graaf Generator's material off of Pawn Hearts, particularly songs like "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers", even though we are talking prog rock here...

I'd like to hear Eyehategod do a Hellhammer or Celtic Frost cover and hear Celtic Frost or Triptykon do an Eyehategod cover...I'm drawing a blank now but there could be tons of other great switch-a-roos.

And on prog rock covers, I really think that like a bunch of really evil metal bands need to cover Bloodrock's D.O.A. asap as it is still one of the creepiest songs i've ever heard and i don't understand how it has been overlooked because it's about as dark and heavy an early rock song as it gets and it was one of the songs that King Diamond said inspired him.

I'd like to hear King Diamond, Mayhem, Eyehategod, and a whole host of doom, funeral doom, death and black bands give their hand at covering that one...and rest in piece, but Soundgarden with Chris Cornell could have really done a great job with it I think.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:46 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I really wish Enslaved would release an album of covers. Their live covers are fucking incredible, as are the two they've recorded. I'd love to see them extend this to bands like Jethro Tull, Yes, and Asia.

Yeah, the cover of What Else Is There? is perfect. And I too would like to see them cover Tull. They even have a song called Cold Wind to Valhalla.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 pm 

Metallica can't ever cover any other bands again. They did it before as a passion project, but now the band, and especially their accountants, know that covers of any other bands' music would be problematic because it would be too obvious how much better those other bands' music are compared to the stuff Metallica is putting out these days. Every cover song they do now would be that many millions of fans never buying another Metallica branded product.

Daniels 4 Beasts wrote:
what would be good bands to cover wesley willis? I imagine crusty/grindcorey bands, especially the one about not being paid enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTbGydPYTkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SO9ZAkS_fE

That kinda happened with the Wesley Willis Fiasco and they wrote punk rock songs to accompany his lyrics.

Actually Metallica should team up with Lou Reed again to do a cover album of Wesley Willis songs.

TragedyMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 pm 

These are ones I can just hear. Not necessarily that they’d be the best, but I think they’d be fitting:

Anathema - In My Time of Need (Opeth)
swap for
Opeth - One Last Goodbye (Anathema)

Seventh Wonder - Letter to Dana (Sonata Arctica)
swap for
Sonata Arctica - One Last Goodbye (Seventh Wonder)

Avantasia - Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath)
No swap, but this was way too rad in my mental speakers to not include.

Lich King - Just One Fix (Ministry)
swap for
Ministry - Our Time to Riot (Lich King)

New album, Theatrum Tragoedia, available now on all streaming platforms!

Bandcamp: https://tragedymask.bandcamp.com

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 am 

Mellifleur wrote:
Actually Metallica should team up with Lou Reed again to do a cover album of Wesley Willis songs.

Now THAT would be interesting considering Lou died in 2013.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 am 

Metalness questionable, but I always thought Bon Jovi would've done an amazing version of Brothers in Arms (the Dire Straits song).
I remember hearing Dry County and thinking shit, surely this is their tribute to Mark Knopfler.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 am 

Kamelot should cover "Suite Sister Mary" by Queensryche.
Queensryche should then cover "Memento Mori" by Kamelot.

It's pretty clear Kamelot took some influence from QR, especially during the Khan era, so it'd be interesting to me.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I wonder if it would sound any good at all if old school death and black bands tried to cover eachother or if they could pull it off?

Could Mayhem or Emperor take songs by Immolation or Morbid Angel and put their own black metal twist on OSDM and have it come out sounding ok? Could Immolation or Morbid Angel give Mayhem or Emperor songs a death metal feel?

That's why I'm fascinated by an album like Dark Throne's Soulside Journey, which is sort of like Norwegian Necrophobic.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 am 

Mellifleur wrote:
Metallica can't ever cover any other bands again. They did it before as a passion project, but now the band, and especially their accountants, know that covers of any other bands' music would be problematic because it would be too obvious how much better those other bands' music are compared to the stuff Metallica is putting out these days. Every cover song they do now would be that many millions of fans never buying another Metallica branded product.

LOL. Yeah, you're right. If Metallica covered a Deep Purple song, all of a sudden, Metallica would be playing casinos and state fairs, and Deep Purple would be selling out Yankee Stadium and San Siro.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 am 

It's true that the vast majority of the 'tallica fans are unaware of superior metal bands. You'd be amazed how many folks genuinely believe they are the heaviest and thrashiest band in existence because their only other points of reference are AC/DC and Creed. The kinds of people who like the 'tallica and post on metal forums and know about other thrash bands are by far the minority in the the 'tallica fandom.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next