Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheArchivist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 am 

As an on and off reader of his reviews and a fellow fan of Overkill, Diam will surely be missed; this is such a loss to the metal community. I'm sure he's somewhere jamming to Taking Over and cranking it up to 11.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:16 pm 

I am so sad to read this earlier, so utterly shocked and left feeling numb. Diamhea was a real good guy, someone I only know through the internet but when something like this happens it actually feels so much more. The first review I ever wrote was for his band The Vala, a band showing much potential that sadly seemed to be overlooked and disappeared after a few demos. I really enjoyed his keyboard work and it was what first got us in contact way back when. He will be very much missed round these parts :( Always enjoyed his reviews and were great if you were in the mood for some keyboard heavy melodic death metal from unknown sources. Gutted to say the least...Rest easy big guy.....

Time to dust off and spin some old demos :( .....

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Vala/93910

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 pm 

He had been a great moderator and is one of the first names that got stuck in my head while I was using MA. Rest in Peace, Diamhea.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:35 am 

Rest In Peace brother you helped me out a lot on the report queue!

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:05 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
His legacy is great, and there is no shame in using drugs. He never hid it, but I thought it was under control. I guess we need to learn from this.

Sometimes physical pain keep you in a chair all day, sometimes mental pain keeps you there all day, and when you are so constrained by this, there is still a great sense of accomplishment when handling a tremendous amount of work on this site. We both spent days on end, stuck on a chair or couch, able to mentally get through it because we accomplished something on MA. I remember several consecutive 16 hour days spent entirely working on the band queue. He spent many more days like that than I did. At the hardest times in life, this place is here to give you something to take pride in, and a wonderful community where we have made friends who have helped us through a lot.

Chris had a tremendous work ethic, and for all the time he spent working on this site, he was incredibly dedicated to bodybuilding - anyone who has ever talked to him about it or has just seen a picture of him knows that he was dedicated to what he did. He had the same amazing work ethic on MA, and beyond that, he was kind and good-natured. We clashed many times on details of maintaining info on the site, while I could be hot-headed and arrogant at times, he was steadfast and calm in his demeanor. There were many reviews that I rudely rejected, and so many of those he would work with them, going back and forth to help them until their reviews were acceptable. Impressive both as a feat and a testament to his character.

It was great to have someone who could constantly tackle a greater workload than any of us, and it was incredible how he did it for years on end. It was a concern, though. This is the hard part.

Dedicating yourself to a tremendous amount of work here is often a distraction from difficult times in life. It has been on and off for me, from total immersion to inactivity to a healthy hobby. For Chris, the immersion was very deep and very continual, but he handled it well. It was also a cathartic escape from the tedium of life, and a constant intellectual stimulation to your brain that was both satisfying and a fairly wholesome activity - better than running away from your struggles or coping with drugs. Working on MA was both a way to stimulate oneself and a way to be productive in life. It is really an accomplishment in life, something that can't be said of MMOs and other time-consuming pastimes. I was always somewhat concerned when Diamhea seemed to be spending whole days on MA, but there was more to it. We connected about many parts of this. He spent a lot of time taking care of his mother, who was ill, and the way things fell seemed to offer them no mercy. Knowing those 16+ hour blocks in his edit history were punctuated a dozen times per day by cooking meals, running errands, and taking care of his mother (and of course going to the gym) just completes the picture. His heart was in the right place, even when it stopped working....

The timing was cruel - after years of spending all this time keeping the report queue under control and adding additional versions, in the last few weeks Stormy III has kept the queue under control, and we seem to have added the majority of additional versions. We pretty much achieved his goals, largely due to his work, and he even remarked how it felt weird to have these things under control. The timing was so cruel.

I feel like we should talk about mental health and how it is often under pressure when spending so much time working on this site, but I suppose the key to this is also just talking to your friends about life. I'm glad I did that with Chris so many times.

One last thing I'll address, since it was mentioned, is drug use. Diamhea never hid his penchant for drugs. It was on and off. He talked about it with friends. Talked about it many times before, including the difficult parts. It was another way of coping with the torments of life. Several of us close to him talked about it, and he hadn't brought it up since last year. One thought he had kicked any habits. Last he mentioned it to me was last year, coming off a heavy prescription. Drugs were definitely a factor in coping with life over the years, and his friends were aware of this. A few days before he passed, he told an injured friend to pray for Vicodin. I don't know if he was using as he had in the past, but he had not mentioned it as he usually had. There's no shame in drug use, it would be no surprise if that was a factor, but he had been dealing with the struggles of life without heavy drugs in recent times, as far as we know.

Reading this.... I have spent the last two weeks going to AA meetings and addressing my feelings of guilt about not reconnecting with Dia. I don't know if I would have came into his life if it would have saved him. One could make the argument that my weakness for Vicodin and prior history of doing stuff with Dia could have lead to both of us dead. Then no GoFundMe is made and his mom never gets the money to properly handle this. I know that a lot of the stuff in Metal he listened to was death and I don't know how God and a higher power is felt about here. But God's plan was for me and Dia to not reconnect.

As this time has gone on, I have gained a new respect for Dia and how he touched so many of you. If I could change life I would give up many things in my life to have saved Chris. I was an idiot and tried to get those closest to him to help him and instead of embracing the love he felt like I backstabbed him and cut all of us off. But Dia is no longer suffering, I have had great conversations with some of you and I plan to find ways to carry out his legacy.

I want to thank all of you for giving money to help his mom, I didn't know how bad her health was. She smoked for a long long time, and her breathing has greatly suffered. Even though our goal was met, if you can please continue to help her.

If anyone has an idea on how we can create a memorial page or site that others can contribute to hit me up. It sucks me and Diamhea didn't reconnect because I own TheGainzBank.com and we probably would have shot a shit ton of a videos that would have distracted him from his suffering. So if you guys have any code ideas or wordpress format to make it a public non registering thing let me know.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:07 am 

STORMM wrote:
I am so sad to read this earlier, so utterly shocked and left feeling numb. Diamhea was a real good guy, someone I only know through the internet but when something like this happens it actually feels so much more. The first review I ever wrote was for his band The Vala, a band showing much potential that sadly seemed to be overlooked and disappeared after a few demos. I really enjoyed his keyboard work and it was what first got us in contact way back when. He will be very much missed round these parts :( Always enjoyed his reviews and were great if you were in the mood for some keyboard heavy melodic death metal from unknown sources. Gutted to say the least...Rest easy big guy.....

Time to dust off and spin some old demos :( .....

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Vala/93910

It breaks my heart because this is when Dia was the most happiest it seemed. Then it all started to change, his dudes in that band tried to help him and he rejected it.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 am 

So without me replying to people's post.... Obviously I didn't share Dia's love for Metal, we bonded over bishes and so forth over the course of the years. But you guys are fawkin tremendous, every day I open my email and there's a donation. I'm so thankful I had the idea to post it on here, some of you guys have come through big league. I appreciate pouring my heart out to you guys and the response it's gotten. I honestly always envisioned there would be a day where me and Dia would bump into each other and catch up. Become friends again, we use to do everything together... parties.. taking his camaro into the shop and then life happened. I call him Dia because after AIM, twitter forum posting it just became what I thought of him instead of Chris.

"it's funny because they laugh at me because I'm different.. I laugh at them because their all the same"

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 am 

I remember when I complimented Diamhea on his level of commitment all he said was, "It gives me something to do."

He always struck me as a guy I would never really get to know, even if I talked to him a lot, which I wasn't able to becuase I haven't been around much because life. But at the same time, he was always there. It was a completely reliable fact. Napero's right. Life's fleeting. Let the people in your life who matter know that they matter.

Rest in peace, Chris. I barely knew ye, but your ghost will walk these halls for a long time to come.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 pm 

Had some back and forth with him over the wording in a review, and we agreed to disagree (I agreed to word it the way he wanted it so it would be published). Nonetheless, definitely one of the "faces" of the site and by all accounts a huge presence here behind the scenes. RIP.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 am 

Huh, surreal and bad news to see (I know I'm real late on this). I'm not going to throw a bunch of empty platitudes out there or anything, but to repeat what a few people have said, life's short so make sure you tell your loved ones- family, friends, whatever- that you love them and do your best to see them as much as possible, 'cos you never know when it's going to end.

RIP

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:23 am 

RIP, bro.

jamessharison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:04 am 

Good person !! Really felt bad to hear this !! Disappointed !!

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:29 pm 

Never knew him but thanks for keeping this site alive...RIP. bless your friends and family.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:08 am 

Holy shit, I didn't know the fella and I can't remember if we conversed at all with my old handle but I've always seen his name to be synonymous with MA, one of the funniest times were when someone assumed his name was Diarrhea I guess due to poor English.

RIP Dia.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 pm 

It was Diarrhea.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 pm 

I don't recall ever having had much interaction with Diamhea, except for one time when I was being a drunken asshole and said something rude to him. (Sadly, this kind of thing happened all too often with me. I do know that I saw him in chat most of the times I was in there, and I'm certain we must've conversed a little much more amicably.) But looking back now on all of his contributions (the publicly visible ones and the ones you'd have to be a mod or admin to see), and all the glowing things those who knew him have said, I can see that his death is a true loss to MA, and to the people here in general. I understand that he had a lot of personal problems, and at the very least we can say that these can no longer plague him; still, that's way too young to go. R.I.P. dude.

Tzitzis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:36 pm 

Ffs!!! I missed three months from MA and diamhea is dead..! WTF. I didn't read all the post. Didn't know the guy we have talked likr two or three times for reviews. But damn guys. 31..! Jeesus christ... He was the first one to talk to me here. Condolences although late, to his family and close ones...

RIP DIAMHEA

DawnoftheShred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:48 am 

Only knew him through his reviews and one interaction through PMs. Very sorry to hear this.

R.I.P.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:33 pm 

Wow, I feel really dumb for just barely noticing this thread after 3 months even though I check the forum almost daily. Even though there's very few users (let alone mods) that I've interacted with, I can definitely say Diamhea was one of the guys who never struck any nerves of mine and had opinions that usually intertwined with my own. So for those attributes alone, we was a real cool dude in my book. My condolences go to his family and all the moderation staff as well as any other regular users that had a personal connection with him.

R.I.P.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 am 

Whoah... So sorry to hear this. I've been away for almost 2 years and this is just an awful way to come back to the forums.

R.I.P.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

kieros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:27 pm 

R.I.P

Myiasis95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:11 pm 

This is sad news. From what I'm reading, I wish I got to know him.
R.I.P. Diamhea

TheOneWhoWaits
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 am 

:-(

NP "The Weight of the World".
(A crippling dose of rage. - 75%, according to Diamhea.)

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:00 pm 

I haven't been here in a long time and did not expect to log in to such news. My brief interactions with him always a left the impression of a good, worthy person. May he find the rest he deserves.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 am 

I forgot to do this when I closed the gofundme, but thanks again guys. Diamhea was cremated and is chilling at his moms crib free of any mortal pains he previously experienced. I just want to thank you guys for helping his mom out, she was able to pay off the expenses that she incurred. There wasn't a proper funeral there was a small park ceremony, but I feel like this thread memorialized him properly.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:39 am 

GainzGawd wrote:
I forgot to do this when I closed the gofundme, but thanks again guys. Diamhea was cremated and is chilling at his moms crib free of any mortal pains he previously experienced. I just want to thank you guys for helping his mom out, she was able to pay off the expenses that she incurred. There wasn't a proper funeral there was a small park ceremony, but I feel like this thread memorialized him properly.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear about his mum.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:59 pm 

May he find peace.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:39 pm 

Revisiting the forums after a while away I saw the news. He's been in my signature for quite a while but I never interacted much with him, but this really hit me hard when I read it. I hope things have sorted out with his relatives as well by now, regarding the ceremony and also the mourning, and that he can be remembered for all the good things he stood for and supported. R.I.P.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:53 pm 

Quote:
Effective May 2014: Due to my recent promotion and inability to adhere to my former review output, I may now go for extended periods without contributing a review. This no longer means I am either dead, in jail, or without internet access. Please comprehend that those three ultimatums are still inherently possible at any time, however.

Really sad reading this on his MA profile.

~Guest 533249
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:04 pm 

I enjoyed his reviews, sad news indeed. R.I.P.

micronthemachine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:17 am 

vERY SORRY FOR THIS LOSING ¡¡¡¡

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 am 

Morning D. It's been a year. Thinking about you today.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am 

A year already? That went so fast. Thinking of Diamhea as well.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 pm 

It's been a year, and we learned a lot of life lessons together... a lot of life and death lessons.

Our contributions to this site are part of our life's work. Nobody had the sheer commitment and work ethic for working on this site and working out like he did. It was incredible and I wish he had more years to spend with us. MA is a tremendous and monument work, one worth committing so much time to, and one worth all the satisfaction we get from it, but the long days of pouring ourselves into working on the site can also be an escape and a coping mechanism. I haven't been able to spend the hours and days on end working on the site like I used to, and I think of Chris when I start spending hours diving into it and there are other things on my mind.

There's a lot unsaid and unknown here, but I miss you, Chris, and we're proud of your legacy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:35 am 

I miss you, too. Having one for you tonight, whatever that means. Count me in on that pride, but even so it highlights the sadness.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:38 am 

A year huh? Wow, I can't believe time's gone this quickly.

It still sucks.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:56 pm 

Back in 2015 I had about 45 of my oldest reviews purged due to a combination of poor formatting and structure, 44 of them were purged by Chris as part of his tireless efforts in keeping the quality of review content on this site up to snuff. Since that time I've rewritten about half of those reviews (tough to get them all done with my continued promo workload and day job), and every time I go with the intention of rewriting another, I see Diamhea displayed at the top of the edit screen, like a ghost that will continue to haunt my MA profile for months to come.

It's weird not having him here, especially around review challenge time. Rest in peace man. :(
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6