* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am 

at the gaytes wrote:
Thy Shrine wrote:
Yeah, Consuming Impulse is probably more technical than a Leprosy. In fact, Pestilence were always a little more creative, technically, and song structure wise. And let's not forget how surgical and precise Malleus Maleficarum was either.

Oh, here's a kind of unpopular opinion, Demilichs uniqueness is kind of overstated. They were a little different from your average DM band at the time, but so we're the other Finnish death metal bands who were always a lot more slimy, and alien compared to other scenes. Convulse, Demigod, Funebre, Anathema(not Serenades Anathema), and others always had weird riffs and melodies that were unique to that scene.

Not to mention that Entombed have NOTHING on Nihilist. I love LHP as much as anyone, but nothing defeats those fucking demos, some of the best metal ever written. And the version of Severe Burns on Clandestine is COMPLETE dogshit in comparison to the original, which is just a fucking amazing out of this world masterpiece.

The thing with Demilich was that their riffing style was truly unique. It was so unique that any band that try to mimic it is labelled as a Demilich clone, to me it sounds like traditional technical death metal if it was played at half tempo and without blast beats.

Nine times out of ten, when someone calls something a "clone" in an artistic sense, it is because they are unimaginative and can't possibly reconcile the fact that people can have influences without necessarily trying to create a carbon copy. This is a good thing; it is how art evolves in a linear progression from one generation to the next. To throw around the word "clone" so haphazardly is disingenuous and shows a lack of proper insight into how works are even created. I can only think of one single proper band that word would even apply to when discussing Demilich, and their album came out just this year.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm 

How can anybody praise that utter non-listenable garbage that is Cynic's 'focus' and not at least appreciate the genius that is Pestilence's 'Spheres' is utterly beyond my grasp...

And, as far as I'm concerned, 'Testimony of the Ancient' is Pestilence's crowning achievement! 27 odd years after I have bought it on vinyl, it still caters for some of the finest and most chilling moments death metal has got to offer till these very days, as far as I'm concerned. I did not care too much for the debut, and never could really enjoy Consuming Impulse, but Testimony, and to a lesser extent Spheres, are my go-to albums as far as Pestilence is concerned, and when I'm in the mood for some quality death metal that never gets OLD...

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 pm 

Not exactly what I would call sacrificing a sacred cow but....

am I the only guy who prefers Malleus Maleficarum to Consuming Impulse?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:51 pm 

Quote:
And, as far as I'm concerned, 'Testimony of the Ancient' is Pestilence's crowning achievement! 27 odd years after I have bought it on vinyl, it still caters for some of the finest and most chilling moments death metal has got to offer till these very days, as far as I'm concerned. I did not care too much for the debut, and never could really enjoy Consuming Impulse, but Testimony, and to a lesser extent Spheres, are my go-to albums as far as Pestilence is concerned, and when I'm in the mood for some quality death metal that never gets OLD...

It's funny how much I agree with the above and yet 100% disagree with the below ...

booK_of_blood wrote:
How can anybody praise that utter non-listenable garbage that is Cynic's 'focus' and not at least appreciate the genius that is Pestilence's 'Spheres' is utterly beyond my grasp...

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:40 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Apples and oranges, there's nothing there to compare the two albums even slightly, and even Van Drunen's vocals are totally different when comparing. These are two completely different aesthetic approaches to heavy metal...

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:02 pm 

Exercises in Futility never stuck with me, and neither does Mgla as a whole. Same with Summoning and Lustre.

As for true classic albums, De Mysteriis is meh in my book, Under the Funeral Moon is the weakest of the black metal Darkthrone and ABITNS and Plagueweilder is much better. Megadeth is boring too.

I feel like I'm some kind of psuedo intellectual hipster garbage but, I will say that I'm not like this guy

nekrosonic wrote:
Let’s just get this out of the way now - nothing by Sabbath, Priest or Maiden lives anywhere near the hype and praise people lather them in. They each maybe have a couple of songs I truly enjoy and that’s it, otherwise those records are just pop music with distortion.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:11 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Exercises in Futility never stuck with me, and neither does Mgla as a whole. Same with Summoning and Lustre.

As for true classic albums, De Mysteriis is meh in my book, Under the Funeral Moon is the weakest of the black metal Darkthrone and ABITNS and Plagueweilder is much better. Megadeth is boring too.

I feel like I'm some kind of psuedo intellectual hipster garbage but, I will say that I'm not like this guy

Plaguewielder is horrifically bad. There's a hyperbole, if there ever was one.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
Rippingheadache wrote:

Apples and oranges, there's nothing there to compare the two albums even slightly, and even Van Drunen's vocals are totally different when comparing. These are two completely different aesthetic approaches to heavy metal...

Even accounting for genre differences, Consuming Impulse was always viewed as the "superior" album. At least that's my impression from reading the reviews here.

Tbh, I don't hear a huge difference compared to say, Gorgut's transition from Erosion of Sanity to Obscura. Some of the tracks still retain Mameli's characteristic stop/start riffing style and the debut's thrashing undercurrent. The production is certainly better. At least the drums no longer sounds like someone pounding away wet spoons. But hey, that's just me.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:02 pm 

I've always preferred Maleus to Consuming. I like the guitars' thrashy riffing approach a lot more and the solos are unearthly.

A big one for me is that, after a string of spectacular albums in the first half of the 80s, I really don't like Maiden's Somewhere in Time. It sounds like something I should like, the band finally embracing the 1980s for all it was worth, but it just never worked for me at all. The sounds sucks compared with the previous albums in my view, with the band (and Bruce in particular) sounding like they're playing away off in a tunnel somewhere, and the songwriting mostly fails to capture my interest. There are still a couple of damn fine songs on it though, and they rectified a lot of this stuff on the next album, which was almost up to the level of the early 80s stuff again, for me.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm 

Somewhere in Time is my favorite Maiden album ever, I put it so far and above the others. It has a sound and essence unlike any other traditional heavy metal band and I absolutely love it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:37 pm 

Yeah, SIT is my favorite one these days too. Love the spacey sound, the keys, the complex songwriting, etc. Seventh Son is almost as good. Both albums show how far the band progressed for me and they were easily leading the pack back then. For me nobody else was so advanced in that style. But everything they did in the 80s was varying degrees of killer - the earlier stuff had that more rocking, exuberant edge.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:59 pm 

SIT is fair to middling. One classic, a couple that are OK, and the rest I don't really care for. Not bad, but I probably spin it once a year.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm 

Nah, I agree with SIT being my favorite Maiden album. I used to think 7th son, but the flow is better on SIT by a hair. Seventh Son has a better title track by a SLIM ass margin, but SIT has Alexander the Great and Wasted Years over Evil that Men do and Moonchild

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:10 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Quote:

It's funny how much I agree with the above and yet 100% disagree with the below ...

booK_of_blood wrote:

Agree entirely with Temple of Blood here.

And I repeat, that Ripping Corpse album fucking rules, just to further disagree with book of blood.

Perhaps.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:42 am 

Every Pharaoh album. Tim Aymar is pretty much just a power metalled-up David Draiman, his yarling is obnoxious and incessant. While the production got a little better as they moved along, the guitar tone sounds synthetic which only helps to drag down the many endless galloping and beat-counting riffs, and the guitar harmonies are pretty derivative as well. A song like After the Fire literally sounds like Megaman metal. It's kind if Iron Maiden's new albums only consisted of the obligatory "4 minute rocker to show we still can play the fast stuff" songs, the monotony and up-tempo nature actually somehow subtracts from the energy.

Sabbat's History of a Time to Come is only notable because of Martin Walkyier. The album overall is an exercise in how much mileage one can get out of the Impaler/Trapped Under Ice riff. Musically it doesn't convey the stories of the album at all, and the songs feel stretched out purely to fit the lyrics. Dreamweaver was a big improvement, though still not up to par musically with either Walkyier or their contemporaries. Good thing the Satan guys got together with Walkyier.

Crimson Glory's S/T is a masterpiece vocally and Lost Reflection is an amazing song, like Alice Cooper in power ballad format. There are a few other songs that maintain high energy and are overall strong, but about half the album plods. Songs like Dragon Lady, Heart of Steel, and Queen of the Masquerade are too slow, the lyrics try to add mystique but are plainly just woman-trouble songs, they tend to repeat their very long choruses over and over, and that kick kick-snare kick drumming pattern won't fucking go away. Wimpier than the average hair metal songs of the time.

Acrobat wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
"Spheres" is clearly trying to rip off Cynic, not Death or Voivod.

That's odd, it's a total coincidence that it's full of Voivod riffs, then? :P

Where?

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:22 am 

Got to reanimate one cow, Exodus albums 2 and 3 are not as terrible as I remembered them. Nowhere near Bbb but ok.

Modern power metal can be slaughtered though with very few exceptions.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:38 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Where?

Try 'Mind Reflections' to start with, it's basically a Dimension Hatross era chromatic thing that Piggy used to do. I'd say that his influence looms heavily over most of the album, though.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:45 am 

@TheLoneForest sorry I don’t like everything you like

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
A song like After the Fire literally sounds like Megaman metal.

That's far from being bad in my opinion. Megaman has one of the best soundtracks in videogames ever

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:31 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Sabbat's History of a Time to Come is only notable because of Martin Walkyier. The album overall is an exercise in how much mileage one can get out of the Impaler/Trapped Under Ice riff. Musically it doesn't convey the stories of the album at all, and the songs feel stretched out purely to fit the lyrics. Dreamweaver was a big improvement, though still not up to par musically with either Walkyier or their contemporaries. Good thing the Satan guys got together with Walkyier.

Nah. All of this is wrong lmfao. Far more riffs than the one you mentioned, no need to be hyperbolic. The songs are the perfect length and convey the stories extremely strong to my ear/mind.

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:45 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Under the Funeral Moon is the weakest of the black metal Darkthrone and ABITNS and Plagueweilder is much better.

Plaguewielder is horrifically bad. There's a hyperbole, if there ever was one.

Yes. And to say that Under A Funeral Moon is weaker is pure nonsense.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:26 pm 

Mass Suicide wrote:
Yes. And to say that Under A Funeral Moon is weaker is pure nonsense.

Nonsense has nothing to do with anything. It's a person's opinion, derived from many factors, there's no one single universal truth to what's good and what's bad art-wise. So saying one's opinion on a matter of art is nonsense -- even if I agree with you and not with him on a specific album -- is in itself nonsensical...

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:51 pm 

I like Circle the Wagons more than any of their classic records.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:15 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

I like Underground Resistance the best, it's probably second to ABITNS

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:16 pm 

Swedish death metal is a style where there's not much in-between for me. When it's good, it's obviously some of the all-time best the genre has to offer but when it's not, it can be absolutely boring and a slog to endure. I know full well that could be said about anything, but bands can get a little too reliant at times on prioritizing aping the guitar tone and endless tremolo riffs and production over quality and compelling songwriting.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:42 am 

I also hate King Diamond's falsetto.

You know, "Conspiracy" is a fantastic record in terms of instrumental craft, but everytime King goes "blaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiirgh" I want to smash him with James Hetfield's table...

I'll keep trying to get into their stuff because there's so much great shit in there - and the King's lower register is menacing too - but hell....so far I could not get past him.

Also, if Iron Maiden had SATAN's singer, I'd be sold. But I'll never fully gel with Dickinson's style, surprisingly my favourite performance of his is on "SiT" where he supposedly just phoned it in.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:58 am 

Gojira really aren't all that interesting, and Stratovarius did the environmentalist bit maaaaany years ago. With better music, too.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

While i doubt this will be true for me, i'm starting to feel the need to spend more time with the later Darkthrone records :)

Their last two didn't do anything for me, but Dark Thrones and Black flags was a lot of fun and i still have to listen better Foad, Circle and The Cult is Alive

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:48 am 

Hot-takes: the Threading

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:25 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:

You know, "Conspiracy" is a fantastic record in terms of instrumental craft, but everytime King goes "blaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiirgh" I want to smash him with James Hetfield's table...

I'll keep trying to get into their stuff because there's so much great shit in there - and the King's lower register is menacing too - but hell....so far I could not get past him.

Have you tried The Puppet Master by any chance? It's one of his later albums so there's less emphasis on the falsettos but the atmosphere is just as chilling as the classic stuff.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 am 

King Diamond's music has 'chilling atmosphere'? Seems to me like an oxymoron. I've always found his music oscillating between the comical to the boring to both at the same time, same goes for Mercyful Fate (and I always cringe seeing this English spelling error in the band's name...).

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Have you tried The Puppet Master by any chance? It's one of his later albums so there's less emphasis on the falsettos but the atmosphere is just as chilling as the classic stuff.

No, I have been trying to dig into Conspiracy/Them first and could not get past them yet. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try that one out.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 am 

Speaking of King Diamond, despite repeated listens, I couldn't really enjoy 'Them' and Conspiracy. There's some great solos and occasional classic riffs, but both albums don't come even close to the greatness of Fatal Portrait, Abigail and even The Eye.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:23 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:

It's an aquired taste, for sure. That's the gist of how I felt when I first heard him too...but over time I grew to love the creepy, ghost-like atmosphere his higher register brings to the music, and how it plays off and complements Andy La'Rocque's neo-classical playing style - I can't think of any singer/guitarist duo that fits together so perfectly, I consider him one of the most talented singers & songwriters in all of metal.

Plus, you've got to give him credit for being the first guy to ever use low-register death growls (the 'demon voice' he did back in the MF days)!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
King Diamond's music has 'chilling atmosphere'? Seems to me like an oxymoron. I've always found his music oscillating between the comical to the boring to both at the same time, same goes for Mercyful Fate (and I always cringe seeing this English spelling error in the band's name...).

Early Mercyful Fate is beyond criticism that’s why you have to pick on their spelling.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm 

Just so you know that guy is a terrible shit poster and troll, just take a look at his post history and you'll see what I mean. Full of ridiculous statements like that. And it's not like someone predicted this thread would be full of those kind of comments or anything... :rolleyes:

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:39 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

Early Mercyful Fate is beyond criticism that’s why you have to pick on their spelling.

The most ridiculous claim ever made, this should be a classic signature, but I'm too lazy...

I do sincerely hope you're joking, though.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:47 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Just so you know that guy is a terrible shit poster and troll, just take a look at his post history and you'll see what I mean. Full of ridiculous statements like that. And it's not like someone predicted this thread would be full of those kind of comments or anything... :rolleyes:

Boohoo, want a handkerchief? A hug from your pals who agree with you on everything here? Want to establish a brethren of circle jerks? My opinions are not to your liking so I'm a troll or whatever, you big hero? Or since you have got like a million posts you allow yourself to shit talk ad hominem and attack personally someone who only voice his genuine opinion, you retarded piece of shit? Cry me a river and then fistfuck yourself...

User was suspended for this post.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 pm 

Well that went downhill fast.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm 

I mean, I was joking, but I'm more than happy with that outcome. :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next