Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:38 pm 

I had to start this thread after hearing about Behemoth's venture into dog food and I just wanted to find other examples of this. The only other one I'm familiar with is Fleshgod Apocalypse's spaghetti/wine.

Honestly I just want to find more of these business practices, but also feel free to discuss whether or not such practices work or how you feel about them.

droneriot wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
i think Fleshgod Apocalypse sold their own frisbees at some time too.

A whole discography of them.

RIP DIAMHEA

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:42 pm 

If it fits with an artist's aesthetic, I don't really see why not. It's not that different from selling shirts, hats and panties (!) is it?

That Iron maiden Trooper beer is actually rather good!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:20 pm 

Iron Maiden have their own headphones too. iirc they were actually designed by the band, so they're not just some other brand of headphones with the Iron Maiden logo on it.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:29 pm 

Megadeth also launched a beer: https://www.megadethbeer.com

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:43 pm 

A bunch of bands have their own alcohol products. Several like Kataklysm have also put out their own hot sauces. Both of those food items are obviously pretty metal. I think one of the coolest unusual merch items I've heard of recently is this: https://knucklebonz.com/product/mercyful-fate-dont-break-the-oath-3d-vinyl-full-color-version/.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:45 am 

Peyp wrote:
Behemoth's venture into dog food

I can't believe they actually did that just to support their shitty "God = Dog" track. It just goes to show how much of a joke this band is turning into.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:18 am 

I seem to remember there was a Slayer beer, but it wasn't brewed by the band themselves, rather some brewery over in Oregon. They used the Slayer logo though, but I don't know how much the band had to do with it as far as licensing, marketing or any of that.

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:52 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I seem to remember there was a Slayer beer, but it wasn't brewed by the band themselves, rather some brewery over in Oregon. They used the Slayer logo though, but I don't know how much the band had to do with it as far as licensing, marketing or any of that.

I don't know if there is a Slayer beer. But you can find a Slayer wine. A Mötorhead one too. At metal clubs it costs around 30 bucks per bottle (the Slayer one, I may be exaggerating).

maladie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:51 am 

Iron Maiden and Motorhead both have a few different beers. The Maiden beers are actually decent as well. Didn't Amon Amarth make some beer too? I remember a bunch of other bands doing this. Oh and Mysticum also have a beer, so do Enslaved now. The Mysticum one was eeehhh, but the Enslaved beer was actually really quite good.

Satyr has made wine that's possible to buy in Norway. It's actually pretty decent as well. I thought his white wine was better than the red, but the red worked really well in reindeer.

Didn't Megadeth and Anthrax make coffee as well? Dream Theater made a video game and book about their horrible last album if that counts as well.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:17 am 

maladie wrote:
Iron Maiden and Motorhead both have a few different beers. The Maiden beers are actually decent as well. Didn't Amon Amarth make some beer too? I remember a bunch of other bands doing this. Oh and Mysticum also have a beer, so do Enslaved now. The Mysticum one was eeehhh, but the Enslaved beer was actually really quite good.

Satyr has made wine that's possible to buy in Norway. It's actually pretty decent as well. I thought his white wine was better than the red, but the red worked really well in reindeer.

Didn't Megadeth and Anthrax make coffee as well? Dream Theater made a video game and book about their horrible last album if that counts as well.

But does the Wongraven wines really count? It's not really a "Satyricon wine", the same way the Slayer and Motörhead ones are. I don't really like Satyr, but you have to give it to him that he's 100% serious about his wines. I gave a friend a Wongraven barolo when she turned 30 because she's a big fan of Satyricon, I've yet to hear what she thinks of it. (Making me one of the few people to take alcohol out of Norway, haha.)

There's the Abbath snow globe, or is it actually metal? ;)

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:32 am 

Well I mean the most obvious weird one has got to be Manowar's "Warrior Shield" line of condoms. Doubly ridiculous because everybody knows that all Manowar fans are virgins.

Metal bands venturing into beer/wine seems to be pretty common nowadays. The Satyricon one makes me laugh a lot because I have a friend living in Norway who volunteered at Blastfest one year, and she told me that they were giant fucking primadonnas. The part of the story I remember the most clearly was that their rider demanded they have wine backstage, and they provided a list of acceptable options, all of which were ludicrously expensive, complete with a note saying something to the effect of "ANY wine not listed is unacceptable. Trust us, we WILL know!"

The Fleshgod Apocalypse branded spaghetti will forever piss me off simply because they didn't name it "Fleshgod Apastalypse".

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:08 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Well I mean the most obvious weird one has got to be Manowar's "Warrior Shield" line of condoms. Doubly ridiculous because everybody knows that all Manowar fans are virgins.

Hahaha!

Let's face it, even if a Manowar fan was about to bang a girl, him pulling out a Manowar condom would surely turn her off to the point where she'd get up and leave.

MDL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:24 am 

I saw somewhere that Ghost and Motorhead were selling, at some point, dildos with their logo and imagery.
Also, Nuclear Blast even haves it's own desgined bicycle: http://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/product ... -bike.html

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:07 am 

Bloodbath have their own shampoo :lol:.

Obituary not only have their own beer ("Hopped in Half") but Trevor Peres also sells his own brand of barbeque sauce and runs his own food truck.

And who could forget Geoff Tate's infamous wine brand "Insania"...

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:01 pm 

Three Floyds has collaborated with a bunch of bands on beers. Unsurprisingly, all of them that I've been able to get my hands on are great.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:21 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

I think you're thinking of Ninkasi's Sleigh'r which is more of a tribute to the band that anything actually involving/licensed by them.
http://www.ninkasibrewing.com/delicious/beers/seasonal-release-series/sleighr.html?ageVerified=defaultValue
Considering how many bands DO have their own beer, I'm somewhat surprised Slayer doesn't have an official one. They've never been shy about merchandising.

And apparently they do have a beer and wine, but it's only available in the EU.
https://www.brandsforfans.se/slayerdrinks/the-drinks.html

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 pm 

yeah, the Ninkasi brewery sounds right. I think that's the one. It was fairly decent beer, but it would be fun to actually try the "official" European one.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:28 pm 

Quote:

Hammerfall and Ensiferum also made branded condoms at one point. A subtle way to tell your fans "you shouldn't breed", I guess.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:

Hammerfall and Ensiferum also made branded condoms at one point. A subtle way to tell your fans "you shouldn't breed", I guess.

FUCK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maladie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:

You win the internet today! But there was a period with a lot of bands doing this, as well as the sex toy thing that even Rammstein joined in. I can't even imagine that any of that merch sold particularly well.

As for the Satyr wines not being Satyricon... yeah kinda. But at the same time, he's such a known figure that I doubt anyone going into vinmonopolet would buy a Wongraven wine without knowing. At the same time... the idea of some super conservative christian in Kristiansand buying the wine and then being told who made it would be priceless.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:35 am 

Delain have a single malt - knowing the distillery, it'd likely be very, very good.

Spoiler: show

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:07 am 

MawBTS wrote:

Fuckers about made me burst out laughing at work.

It seems like it won't be much longer before the band-branded beer is as standard a merch item as shirts or hats. It's happening quite a bit on a local level as bands like Drude and Void King are starting to partner up with craft breweries.

Also band-branded hot sauce is a noticeable recurrence in the stoner/sludge community.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:27 pm 

I collect band koozies, just bought my 30th. Really glad that's one cheesy trend that's gained popularity; I can't remember the last time I went to a show where there wasn't at least one band with them.

blackmantram
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:53 pm 

Blasphemy have their own skateboard http://www.skullskates.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id/1395
I remember this causing a bit of a backlash back when it was first made public.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 am 

Funny, I was thinking about this topic after seeing an article about Korn yesterday. (I know it's not metal, but it made me think of how badly their brand is going to make this new and very public pivot that, thankfully doesn't involve dubstep)

Do you folks like coffee? I'm glad they were willing to poke fun at themselves and debut a song on South Park back in the day (the Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery episode was the first debut of "Falling Away From Me"), I'm guessing this is a venture that they surely knew would be joked about with reference to the Metalocalypse bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFURd_EOIuU

Here's the Korn coffee debut:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/korn-a ... rn-koffee/

Abominatrix had it right about Trooper Beer. Not only is it good, and the bottles are big with some heavy brew, but there's a competitor of similar ilk that is just as, if not more, interesting in its own story. In Bastogne (https://www.stripes.com/news/former-par ... e-1.254178) a U.S. soldier has been honored with a beer for what he did during that fateful fight in the Battle of the Bulge. Supposedly there is a U.S. paratrooper beer that my dad claims to have drank while on leave during the '80s in Bastogne, likely a brew that isn't around today, but I'm not fully searching out what I'm writing right now, just going by my dad's story.

The ride of the six hundred, as one observer is said to have said was -as paraphrased- 'glorious but not warfare', could only be shadowed in a branding story by the living likes of such a paratrooper's antics during such a devastating German push. Still, those are interesting ways to capitalize on history and, like Maiden has done, great gimmicks that build a brand of their own. How many American kids have had Union Jacks in their rooms while being descendants of those that fought to free themselves from Britain?

Branding in metal is a fascinating thing and though Kiss is best known for its strides from face-paint to figurines to coffins, it's not unusual in any of these overt personae to create absurd merchandise from their already absurd personae.

That being said, I do like how much lower key many bands are. Sometimes letting the music just speak for itself is enough, the merchandise just becomes too much a cost (especially considering concert markups) when an album is really where a band will be considered beloved in one's heart. That won't dissuade plenty of bands, especially floundering ones, from giving all they can to get their brand recognized, but marketing really cheapens too many bands to me when the music should be the focus. When the dozenth greatest hits album comes out just in time to add a song from the latest one, it get to me. When a list of classics comes up before a pivot, it annoys me. Music needs marketing, I understand that, but in styles that survived by tape trading and now are so easily accessed by click of mouse, why bother with so many toys when the music can play on repeat?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:44 am 

maladie wrote:

Didn't Megadeth and Anthrax make coffee as well?

Charlie Benante has his own coffee line but I don't know that Anthrax does. There is an Anthrax-branded beer called Wardance which, in my opinion, was pretty mediocre.

demonomania
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 am 

There's a Runemagick coffee mug that I've had my eye on for some time now. Got my wife some Monstrosity panties years ago - it was a solid investment, but now I realize I should have gotten the Grave ones that say "Into the Darkness" on the front and "Into the Grave" on the back.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am 

Reminds me of this bit from metalocalypse XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tObnRYjolw

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm 

Can't wait till a metal band sells their own weed brand. I would buy Electric Wizard's "Witchnugs" in a heartbeat.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:14 pm 

You can add Angra to the beer list:
http://angrastore.commercesuite.com.br/ ... 412175.htm

Somewhat related: I recently got an Iron Maiden "The Pooper" baby onesie for my little girl hehe.

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:30 pm 

soverysorry wrote:
Can't wait till a metal band sells their own weed brand. I would buy Electric Wizard's "Witchnugs" in a heartbeat.

I'm honestly shocked I haven't seen that yet, it's been legal here for years now. (West Coast of the US)

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm 

maladie wrote:
the idea of some super conservative christian in Kristiansand buying the wine and then being told who made it would be priceless.

If we're talking about these clowns (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjL6Nekxhkc), it'd be a National Geographic research project to unearth a Christian offended by them.

299796kms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 pm 

Evoken wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Hahaha!

Let's face it, even if a Manowar fan was about to bang a girl, him pulling out a Manowar condom would surely turn her off to the point where she'd get up and leave.

You mean she wouldn't be wet like a young girl in her prime?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 am 

i think fleshgod apocalypse sold their own frisbees at some time too.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:23 pm 

droneriot wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

BAAMMMM! That one really struck home.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm 

Apparently there's a Doris body pillow from Chthonic out there? Is this official?

droneriot wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
i think Fleshgod Apocalypse sold their own frisbees at some time too.

RIP DIAMHEA

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:28 pm 

Damn, I thought it was only Kiss. ;)

Well they have bills to pay.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 pm 

Iron Maiden has made a plethora of umbrellas. Not sure why I didn't get one when I lived in the PNW.

Metallica, Tool, and many other hot topic bands have sold Incense holders.

Cannibal Corpse has sold baby bibs.

I'm pretty sure I saw Cephalic Carnage sell a bong with their logo on it at a show.

Reply to topic