Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Alcest made a post on their facebook page last week about going into the studio to record a new record (the next day). I'm guessing we will have an Alcest album by late-summer!

Oh my, how'd I miss that? Sweet! (Elevation happens to be currently playing now haha.)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 pm 

Oh fuck, just noticed that Noisem has a new album coming out in March! Bring it on!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 pm 

God fucking damn it, is there ANY good, new power metal coming out this year? It's been forever since I heard a solid pm album.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:47 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
God fucking damn it, is there ANY good, new power metal coming out this year? It's been forever since I heard a solid pm album.

I mean...there's a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to. New Battle Beast, Beast in Black, Iron Savior, Avantasia--hell, even Leverage has popped out of the woodwork to put out their first new album in 10 years.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:38 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

There's been plenty of great stuff coming out for years. Last year seemed slightly weak but even then we got Thaurorod and Black Majesty delivering corkers as well as Dynazty, Tad Morose, Blaze Bayley, etc.

There's also other recent gems from Fireleaf, Wardrum, Eternal of Sweden, Excalion, etc. Lots of great albums just like any genre I think.

And yeah Avantasia is probably gonna be the one to beat this year. But I'm sure I'll find some new underground ones eventually too.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pm 

Yeah I listened to most of what you guys mentioned in the last two posts except for some of your "recent gems" which I'll have to check out. None of it really impressed me if I am being honest. I want shit in the same vein of Highlander and Lost Horizon and early Insania.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:34 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

The new Vandor album is decent.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:08 pm 

The new Ancient Bards came out on Jan 24th. It's really amazing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 am 

Trying a bit of this Ancient Bards - yeah, not my style of PM at all. It could have appeal to fans of that style for sure though, the super dorky fantasy kind and all. It's definitely better than any Rhapsody album I ever heard though.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:38 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

The new Vandor album is decent.

There's a new Gloryhammer album coming out this year.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:39 pm 

As someone that loves super dorky power metal (Rhapsody included), I was really into that new Ancient Bards album - it might even be my favorite thing they've done so far. They're pretty much a female fronted Rhapsody in terms of style, so I can understand how you wouldn't be into them if you don't like Rhapsody. I also loved last year's Thaurorod, Arion, Judicator, Powerwolf, Temperance, A Sound of Thunder, and Visigoth albums. None of that is really in the vein of Lost Horizon, though.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

I mean...there's a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to. New Battle Beast, Beast in Black, Iron Savior, Avantasia--hell, even Leverage has popped out of the woodwork to put out their first new album in 10 years.

I'm looking forward to all of these as well (and my Beast in Black preorder's apparently shipped - huzzah and such), and I agree that the Avantasia album will likely be the one to beat in 2019 (in terms of power metal at least).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:15 pm 

Yeah, I'm much more into rock/pop-based hooks and strong, exuberant melodies rather than the double bass and fantastical orchestration stuff.

Honestly I don't think you'll find much compared to Lost Horizon, they were a very unique act due to the style of writing and the guitars.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:25 am 

Man those guys were sooooo good.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:59 am 

Quote:

The new Evergrey is outstanding if you care for progressive power metal!

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:11 am 

Re: Lost Horizon. Maybe it’s just nostalgia but the vibe I get from what I consider the ‘golden age’ of pm ie 95-04ish I just can’t find anywhere else. Maybe coz that was around the time I was first really digging into underground metal in the late 90s.

Looking forward to Avantasia this year. Would love an album in the style of the metal operas but I’m not sure if Tobi could write an entire album in that vein and have it be any good.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 am 

Man, Avantasia is a talented act for sure. I have a lot of respect for that guy, but for me it's just a personal taste thing - I want my power metal to be driving, energetic, intense. I get it that those descriptors are totally subjective, but I don't find that with Avantasia. I don't like much mid-tempo power metal (or any metal, really, except for a few random songs in the thrash/death/melodeath genres) and from what I remember Avantasia has a lot of that type of stuff. From a song writing perspective it's unique and cool. The same can be said for Ayreon,, but I can't get fully in to them either.

I'm blasting the album Sunrise in Riverland from Insania and this is some of the shit I love.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am 

The Metal Opera albums had some good stuff but the more recent Avantasia material is just so far beyond those very early works for my tastes. And even for that kind of old speedy/fantastical PM sound I think there are way better albums than the Metal Operas... Power Quest - Neverworld, the aforementioned Insania, early Sonata Arctica, etc.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:27 pm 

Another phenomenal heavy/power/thrash band is Greece's Inner Wish. Have you heard them? Amazing shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:45 pm 

Yeah they were a fun band. Meant to check out their newest one. Not one of my favorites but definitely quality - more traditional/retro than a lot of modern bands are doing.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:25 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Another phenomenal heavy/power/thrash band is Greece's Inner Wish. Have you heard them? Amazing shit.

Only heard a couple of songs so far but liked what I heard. Will check these guys out some more

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm 

Do it. The band rules pretty hard, and the guy's voice is fucking spectacular.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:19 pm 

Inter Arma's new one, Sunn O)))'s two albums, KING DIAMOND if it happens...2019 is shaping up!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:17 pm 

BUS is releasing their second album toward the end of the month. It's more Uncle Acid than Angel Witch but it's gonna be a good one!

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:52 pm 

I know a lot of people jumped off this train a few years back, but I'm looking forward to the new Grand Magus album, Wolf God, that was just announced. They can always be counted on for a good time.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:52 am 

The Well is releasing a new album called Death and Consolation on April 26. Link to article and song stream

The article says the album takes them out of doom and into post punk. I don't know anything about post punk, but the single streaming in the article sounds like uptempo stoner rock/metal to me, except maybe the bit with keyboards. I liked it, though it was a tad repetitive.

------------------------------------

Count Raven is in the planning stages of a new album. Excerpt from an interview:

It's already ten years since the last studio album ('Mammons War', 2009), so do you have any plans or working on a new album?

Dan: Yes thats the plan. We are still negotiating on a new album, so we will see. One way or another I know it will come this time. We have a stable line up now that for the first time wanna go through with this. We have been out there playing live since last summer and the band is tight. And everyone is having fun.

Full interview here.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:52 am 

Abyssic - High the Memory

I'm liking this marriage of death/doom and symphonic elements. Don't hear this style too often and this band seems to nail it. Looking forward to this.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Abyssic - High the Memory

I'm liking this marriage of death/doom and symphonic elements. Don't hear this style too often and this band seems to nail it. Looking forward to this.

Wow. Thank you for that! I am definitely intrigued.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:51 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

First one i have heard so far : https://youtu.be/QR_EeIM4bFY

Thornbridge:Theatrical masterpiece

Melodic, but not cheesy EuroPM.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:47 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Quote:

The new Evergrey is outstanding if you care for progressive power metal!

Honestly, there was so much great trad and power metal last year that I don't know if I even care about new stuff coming out right now. From more trad oriented stuff like Visigoth and Rocka Rollas to stuff like Novareign and Dire Peril and euro stuff like Thaurorod and Frozen Crown... and I know there's for sure more that I'm forgetting right now. Those are getting some serious mileage on my end, so I'm okay with a lack of new PM.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Wow. Thank you for that! I am definitely intrigued.

No worries, mate. I'm intrigued enough to have ordered the physical copy of this, despite the atrocious shipping to Australia. Looks like it'll be a winner, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 am 

Hannes Grossmann - Apophenia

The new song sounds pretty good and is a bit of a hilarious take on the Flat Earthers. Seems like human stupidity might be a running theme considering the song titles.

https://hannesgrossmann.bandcamp.com/

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Ducey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:16 pm 

https://bibleofthedevil.net/ New B.O.T.D.

New Bewitcher.

New Ares Kingdom
http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=10336

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm 

Disillusion have signed a deal to put out their long-awaited third album. For those who don't remember, as it has been a while, Back to Times of Splendor was their well-received progressive metal debut, then for their second they did an awesome-but-not-as-well-received, industrial-sounding Gloria.

Subterranean Masquerade are recording their fourth album. Vagabond, their third, didn't do it for me quite as much as The Great Bazaar did, but I still have hope.

And I just saw yesterday that Pain of Salvation are recording drums for their new album. In the Passing Light of Day was a fucking amazing return to progressive metal, so this one is at the top of my list.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm 

The Carnal Forge - Gun to Mouth Salvation album that got this thread started was garbage, btw.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
The Carnal Forge - Gun to Mouth Salvation album that got this thread started was garbage, btw.

Yep. They should’ve stayed dormant.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:46 pm 

Cirith Gorgor - Sovereign

Their first couple albums are still some epic, magical classics. Could probably extend that to their 3rd and 4th albums as well. Always excited about new music from these guys even though their style has changed quite a bit. Teaser track is pretty cool.
https://cirithgorgorhhr.bandcamp.com/album/sovereign

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm 

The new Funereal Presence album Achatius is gonna be very hard to beat for album of the year 2019, what a masterpiece!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:34 pm 

I agree that the Carnal Forge album sucks big time. But then again, no surprise there. They've always sucked.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 pm 

did I mention the new Obsequiae? Because that is what I'm most stoked for.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:30 pm 

Really looking forward to the new Tyr album and for some odd reason the new COB album too. I've been on a Follow the Reaper kick lately \m/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next