Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 pm 

All right, here's a thread idea to take my mind off everything wrong with the world and my life. What are some mediocre or even downright bad albums that nevertheless boast a superb song?

To me two albums leap out immediately when I think of this contrast. The first is pretty obscure: Dark Symphonies released an album from a Spanish band called User Ne, _Atropa Natura_. I bought it because I liked the download track, "Vientos Ne Mar." Nice bagpipes! Definitely recommended for fans of stuff like Eluveitie. But the album as a whole is really a stinker, and I don't say that lightly. This is the sort of mistake that no longer happens in the era of Youtube and streaming.

Youtube: show

The second is the album _Vilosophe_ from Manes. It's a sort of electronic post-black metal album with virtually no metal left in it and a lot of experimentation. It sounded interesting conceptually, but the only track I could hack is "Ende," and it's pretty marvelous. Nice melodic vocal lines with percussion and electronics reminiscent of some of The Gathering's later work.

There are other, less extreme contrasts I can think of, but these two I've always thought of as the archetypes of the phenomenon. What are yours?

Last edited by amelanchier on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 pm 

Wolfchant's "Determined Damnation" isn't really a bad album as it is horrendously dull. But this was a standout track.

Wolfchant's "Bloodwinter" on the other hand was too much wank and no substance, a damn shame. At least it had this.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:49 pm 

Poison Godmachine, Enemies of Reality and Narcosynthesis/Engines of Hate, all on Nevermore albums
Painkiller on The Sound of Perseverance
Standing In the Flames on Insineratehymn
The Illusion of Power on Forbidden and Never Say Die/Junior's Eyes on Never Say Die

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:08 pm 

not 100% on topic, but, 8 years ago The Haunted released Unseen, and everyone was b**ching about "Disappear", a song that's more like Tool-lite and infuriated fans of the Haunted, who started crying "sell out", etc. it's my favourite Haunted song since Made me do it... :)

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:37 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Poison Godmachine, Enemies of Reality and Narcosynthesis/Engines of Hate, all on Nevermore albums
Painkiller on The Sound of Perseverance

Where you're wrong here is that these are all fantastic albums. Now I *really* want to check out the other songs you listed. ;)

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm 

Jack The Ripper is one of my favourite Motorhead songs off of the extremely weak March Or Die.
Also find Vile to be one of the more forgettable Cannibal albums but Peverse Suffering and Bloodlands are both awesome tracks.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:38 pm 

The first one that came to mind is "Washington Is Next!" from United Abominations. It is one of the worst Megadeth records IMO, but that is one of their best songs.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:46 pm 

This is going to put me in the crosshairs of the site owner but holy shit Skyclad are the absolute kings of this.

Very important band for metal historically, Walkyier is one of my all time favorite lyricists, the general sound and idea of all their albums is great, but for the life of them they just can not put out an album that isn't like 80% filler. I'd say Prince of the Poverty Line is the only time they really managed to keep an album interesting the entire way though (maybe the first two albums as well but it's been a really long time since I've listened to them so I can't say for sure). Jonah's Ark has Thinking Allowed, The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea has Just What Nobody Wanted and Desperanto, I know the "classic" tracks on Irrational Anthems are Inequality Street and Penny Dreadful but frankly those both kinda suck, and the only truly great track is The Wrong Song, Oui Avant-garde a Chance is almost entirely skippable except for If I Die Laughing, It'll Be an Act of God being one of their all time greatest opening tracks, The Answer Machine? is also one of their weakest overall but I think Helium and Worn Out Sole to Heel are great, Vintage Whine is actually pretty solid overall and the first three or four songs plus the last handful are all really good so that's a late-career fluke for them, and finally Folkemon opens on the total fucking barnburner that is The Great Brain Robbery but other than Think Back and Lie of England being alright that's all I can even remember from this album. Frankly I'm not super familiar with the post-Walkyier era but I'm willing to bet the problem hasn't gone away.

Basically the short version is that all but a small handful of albums can be pretty safely turned off after the first few tracks, and that's such a shame because they clearly kick an obscene amount of ass when they're at their best but they just can't keep it up throughout an entire album no matter how hard they try. Even their best album dips noticeably in the middle.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 pm 

jimbies wrote:
The first one that came to mind is "Washington Is Next!" from United Abominations. It is one of the worst Megadeth records IMO, but that is one of their best songs.

Speaking of Megadeth, I would pick Beginning of Sorrow on Super Collider. United Abominations is a fine album, excepting that calamitous A Tout Le Monde remake, everything ranges from pretty good to great

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 am 

Celtic Frost's Cold Lake had a song I really liked. I forget which one it was.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:31 am 

Iron Maiden: Sign of the Cross and Lord of the Flies from The X Factor. Fear of the Dark too, I really don't like that album but the title song is great.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 am 

i remember really looking forward to the debut album of wrathprayer after hearing this track they released before the album came out, and being in awe of the fantastic cover art as well

when the album finally dropped, i was bored to death by it.
also, they were playing a small festival in helsinki a while ago and at the start of their 30-45min slot (i forget), they went to the back to "get ready". ate half their showtime putting on make up after travelling half way around the world (they're from chile).

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 am 

joppek wrote:
i remember really looking forward to the debut album of wrathprayer after hearing this track they released before the album came out, and being in awe of the fantastic cover art as well

when the album finally dropped, i was bored to death by it.
also, they were playing a small festival in helsinki a while ago and at the start of their 30-45min slot (i forget), they went to the back to "get ready". ate half their showtime putting on make up after travelling half way around the world (they're from chile).

Weird, I really like that album. My only complaint would be it has a lot of pops/clicks, seems like they had problems with the master tapes.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:49 am 

Dark Tranquillity - At Loss for Words (Haven)
One of the most uninspired albums I've ever heard, but this is a wonderful closer.

Kreator - Victory Will Come (Phantom Antichrist)
Thought this album was a big let down after the three brilliant ones that came before. That said, can't deny that I love this song.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:38 am 

I'd sort of agree on Skyclad post 1995, but their first five albums are all very consistent IMO.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 am 

The most obvious contender for this that springs to mind is Sepultura - Roots. The opening song Roots Bloody Roots is pretty good and works well live. But then it's downhill all the way after that into sub-Korn drivel.

JP's Ram It Down is their worst album but Blood Red Skies and the title track are classics.

Last edited by Cosmic_Equilibrium on Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 am 

Mayhem: Ordo as Chao has two of the best Mayhem songs imho. Illuminate Eliminate and Psychic Horns. The rest of the album is not very good.

Mugroar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 am 

I absolutely love Avantasia. I'm a nut for anything Tobi puts out, the man is just melodic genius.

However! Avantasia's "The Mystery of Time" album is the one album of theirs I don't know back-to-front. There's only two songs that truly stand out to me that I can listen to on a daily basis, and they are "Where Clock Hands Freeze" (just may be my #1 favorite speedy Kiske-Avantasia song), and "The Watchmaker's Dream."

To this day, and I've had the album since day one of release, I cannot tell you a single thing about what the rest of the album sounds like. I consider it a "filler" album of Avantasia's discography, much as I hate to admit.

Mugroar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
The most obvious contender for this that springs to mind is Sepultura - Roots. The opening song Roots Bloody Roots is pretty good and works well live. But then it's downhill all the way after that into sub-Korn drivel.

Totally agree on this. The ROOTS album was the end of the line for myself and Sepultura.

Last edited by Mugroar on Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:29 am 

"Hell Bent for Leather" is the first thing that comes to mind every time. I find Hell Bent for Leather/Killing Machine to be a rather awkward transitional album but that song really knows how to pack in a strong mix of power and catchiness. Nothing else on that album even comes close for me.

I remember buying a copy of Dragonforce's Inhuman Rampage after enjoying "Through the Fire and the Flames" and being disappointed by the rest of it. My feelings still stand in both regards.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 am 

F(r)iend from Soundtrack to Your Escape (In Flames) - a deceptively good opener to a disastrous train wreck of an album.

The title track from Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon is the only segment of the record that doesn't feel like it's trying to force me into a coma.

Storm of the Destroyer is a definite highlight from Satyricon's Now, Diabolical; too bad it's a bonus track that most versions don't have.

And then there's this:

I don't think the rest of album is garbage. But literally everything else I've heard from this band feels... ok, and that's it. I don't actively dislike it, and I can enjoy it for what it is, but it doesn't come with that extra spark that pushes me to seek it out. Except this one song, which stops me dead in my tracks and keeps me glued to the speakers all the way through. This is still one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had when exploring a band's output.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZN4mBQE-nY
"Thornography" is an album that gets shat on even by die-hard Cradle of Filth fans and I understand why. It's not very good. I've always been very fond of this song, however - it's probably one of my favorite tracks they've done. Shame it's trapped on an otherwise mediocre album. "You mesmerize my soul Diana, you mesmerize my soul..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_KTXhXrjY
"Sitra Ahra" is...not a good album at all. If "Beloved Antichrist" (which just might be the most boring album I've ever heard) didn't exist, it would be my least favorite album by them. The song "Din" is pretty awesome, though - probably one of Therion's more aggressive 'modern era' songs.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:45 am 

Dance of Death is one of Iron Maiden's best songs, but the album doesn't contain any other good tracks, imo.

metalkeith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am 

shwartzheim wrote:
Jack The Ripper is one of my favourite Motorhead songs off of the extremely weak March Or Die.

Agreed on Jack the Ripper being a standout, but I always thought March or Die suffered from a weak track order. I mean, it still has some weak ones, but Asylum Choir, Name in Vain, and the title track all kick ass. With Mikkey Dee and better production, I think the whole album could have rocked. It would have been the perfect link between 1916 and Bastards.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:12 am 

Unleashed's Warrior is a really tired, boring album with awful production. Just a very lifeless and uninspired affair all-around. But it also features one of the best Unleashed songs ever, "Death Metal Victory" - which is absolutely iconic and continues to be a live staple to this day. It also has the song "Hero of the Land" which has always held a special place in my heart because it has such a heartfelt and passionate lyrical message.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
I'd sort of agree on Skyclad post 1995, but their first five albums are all very consistent IMO.

Luckily I'm usually able to listen to music at work so I burned through Jonah's Ark last night to see if I was too hard on it, but nah, Thinking Allowed is still the best track by a gargantuan margin. Oddly enough, I also decided to finally give the Ridley albums a real shot (I kinda knew the newest one but overall just sorta avoided them because it just felt like anything Skyclad related without Walkyier would just feel wrong) and honestly those three albums are arguably their most consistent. Skyclad in the 90s had some incredible tunes but you could easily make a "worst-of" double album. One of the clearest examples of "quantity over quality" in metal history, and it's stunning how much more even the albums became once Walkyier left and they started taking their time between albums.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:32 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Dance of Death is one of Iron Maiden's best songs, but the album doesn't contain any other good tracks, imo.

Yeah, I agree it isn't a great album but I also like Paschendale, Montsegur and Rainmaker. Dance of Death is the best song in the album though.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:01 pm 

Ozzy had quite a few of these. Songs like Bark at the Moon and Shot in the Dark are both brilliant tunes from pretty bad albums.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZN4mBQE-nY
"Thornography" is an album that gets shat on even by die-hard Cradle of Filth fans and I understand why. It's not very good. I've always been very fond of this song, however - it's probably one of my favorite tracks they've done. Shame it's trapped on an otherwise mediocre album. "You mesmerize my soul Diana, you mesmerize my soul..."

I reckon this is a fairly good album. I probably prefer it to many of the albums that followed, which I find go in one ear and out the other too often. Thornography has some duds and one of the worst bass drum sounds I've ever heard, but I've always enjoyed quite a lot of the songs (notably "Dirge Inferno", "Tonight in Flames", "Lovesick for Mina", "I Am the Thorn", "Cemetery and Sundown", "Foetus of a New Day Kicking" and, as you mentioned, "Under Huntress Moon").

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm 

Everyone hates Darkthrone - Plaguewielder, but Command and Wreak are awesome.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:14 pm 

Those songs and the whole album are awesome when you combine a strongly sedative antipsychotic with a benzodiazepine and smoke some weed on top.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:17 pm 

I guess that explains why I like stuff...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm 

Sunrise's debut album is a snoozefest, comprised of the most pedestrian mid-paced Euro-power metal you've heard a thousand times before--not necessarily bad, but completely and utterly boring. Then, out of nowhere, "All This Time" kicks down the door and blasts you in the face with lightning-fast ultra-melodic deliciousness that infuriates me to my very core. "What is THIS?! Why were you hiding this?! Why isn't there more of this?!" being my thoughts on the matter. If the album didn't have this song, I could chalk it up to a mediocre band whose best isn't good enough, but no, they whip out this master-class entry in melodic mastery, and now in my eyes they're just lazy. Writing a song that good is haaaarrrrrdddddd, you guys, so we'll only do one, I guess.
Mirai of the Future
After That: Mob Psycho 100 II and Martian Successor Nadesico

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
This is going to put me in the crosshairs of the site owner but holy shit Skyclad are the absolute kings of this.

Very important band for metal historically, Walkyier is one of my all time favorite lyricists, the general sound and idea of all their albums is great, but for the life of them they just can not put out an album that isn't like 80% filler. I'd say Prince of the Poverty Line is the only time they really managed to keep an album interesting the entire way though (maybe the first two albums as well but it's been a really long time since I've listened to them so I can't say for sure). Jonah's Ark has Thinking Allowed, The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea has Just What Nobody Wanted and Desperanto, I know the "classic" tracks on Irrational Anthems are Inequality Street and Penny Dreadful but frankly those both kinda suck, and the only truly great track is The Wrong Song, Oui Avant-garde a Chance is almost entirely skippable except for If I Die Laughing, It'll Be an Act of God being one of their all time greatest opening tracks, The Answer Machine? is also one of their weakest overall but I think Helium and Worn Out Sole to Heel are great, Vintage Whine is actually pretty solid overall and the first three or four songs plus the last handful are all really good so that's a late-career fluke for them, and finally Folkemon opens on the total fucking barnburner that is The Great Brain Robbery but other than Think Back and Lie of England being alright that's all I can even remember from this album. Frankly I'm not super familiar with the post-Walkyier era but I'm willing to bet the problem hasn't gone away.

Basically the short version is that all but a small handful of albums can be pretty safely turned off after the first few tracks, and that's such a shame because they clearly kick an obscene amount of ass when they're at their best but they just can't keep it up throughout an entire album no matter how hard they try. Even their best album dips noticeably in the middle.

I'm a little more positive on Skyclad than you are, but you have a point. _Folkemon_, for instance, I think has some great tracks scattered throughout. I also like some of the covers and other fandango on _Oui Avant Garde a Chance_ and a large chunk of _The Answer Machine?_. But the second half of _Irrational Anthems_ is very weak, and _Jonah's Ark_ and _Silent Whales of Lunar Sea_ have only 1-2 good songs each. They just made too many albums for a while there.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:48 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Iron Maiden: Sign of the Cross and Lord of the Flies from The X Factor. Fear of the Dark too, I really don't like that album but the title song is great.

Yes, "Fear of the Dark" is a classic example of this syndrome.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:51 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Dark Tranquillity - At Loss for Words (Haven)
One of the most uninspired albums I've ever heard, but this is a wonderful closer.

Huh, I love _Haven_. Didn't at first, but I do now. "Rundown," "Feast of Burden," "The Same"...

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Mayhem: Ordo as Chao has two of the best Mayhem songs imho. Illuminate Eliminate and Psychic Horns. The rest of the album is not very good.

Much as I also love “Illuminate Eliminate”, the whole of Ordo ad Chao gets most of its impact from the generally unsettling atmosphere. So I don’t consider the lack of other great songs to mean this is a weak album.

jimbies wrote:

I agree, “Washington Is Next” is a good candidate for my favourite song of the last 15 years. I’m just not as down on the rest of the album as you are. “Sleepwalker” has very entertaining and creative violence in those lyrics. And as a Liverpool supporter, I can’t turn down a song called “Never Walk Alone”.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:57 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Sunrise's debut album is a snoozefest, comprised of the most pedestrian mid-paced Euro-power metal you've heard a thousand times before--not necessarily bad, but completely and utterly boring. Then, out of nowhere, "All This Time" kicks down the door and blasts you in the face with lightning-fast ultra-melodic deliciousness that infuriates me to my very core. "What is THIS?! Why were you hiding this?! Why isn't there more of this?!" being my thoughts on the matter. If the album didn't have this song, I could chalk it up to a mediocre band whose best isn't good enough, but no, they whip out this master-class entry in melodic mastery, and now in my eyes they're just lazy. Writing a song that good is haaaarrrrrdddddd, you guys, so we'll only do one, I guess.

I'd agree with you, but then that album also has Forgotten Secrets, which is twice as better than All This Time.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:39 am 

'D.N.R.' from Testament's The Gathering

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:57 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
F(r)iend from Soundtrack to Your Escape (In Flames) - a deceptively good opener to a disastrous train wreck of an album.

I would add "Crawl Through Knives" from Come Clarity to this, too - terrible album but this particular song worked. I guess In Flames are just like that, haha.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next