Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:53 am 

Another band i have just started listening to, nearly finished hearing all their stuff now, whats everyone else’s thoughts of them? Ive actually skipped Massive Killin capacity though, read some bad reviews and the clips of it didnt sound that appealing. Also got Unleashed and Grave’s discography to check out next. What order would you put the big four of swedish death metal in in terms of how good they are? Entombed seem to get the least praise,

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:14 am 

My favourite Dismember album is actually "The God That Never Was", which I'm guessing is an odd pick, considering their early career classics.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 am 

Massive killing capacity is basically Dismember played at x.75.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 am 

My favourite death metal band. Don't think they've released a bad album. Massive Killing Capacity is one of their better albums I think. Like an Ever Flowing Stream reigns supreme, The God That Never Was and Where Ironcrosses Grow rounding off my top 3.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 am 

MKC is their best album! Anyone who says otherwise is wrong! It's the essence, the bare bones, the distillate of death metal.
All albums are great, except Hate Campaign. That one is not great.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:16 am 

Massive Killing Capacity is a bit of a weak point in their early material but still worth listening to. If you haven't heard it yet I would give Carnage - Dark Recollections a spin as well. It's basically Dismember + Michael Amott on guitars. A couple of the songs from that album have been on some Dismember releases as well.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:21 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Another band i have just started listening to, nearly finished hearing all their stuff now, whats everyone else’s thoughts of them? Ive actually skipped Massive Killin capacity though, read some bad reviews and the clips of it didnt sound that appealing. Also got Unleashed and Grave’s discography to check out next. What order would you put the big four of swedish death metal in in terms of how good they are? Entombed seem to get the least praise,

Dismember are consistently good, and occasionally brilliant. Like an Ever Flowing Stream is flawless, and Massive Killing Capacity isn't half as bad as some would say - I consider it gets unfairly lumped in with the death and roll albums of the era such as Wolverine Blues and Heartwork, and is lightyears better than either (those two are pathetic albums I can certainly live without ever hearing again - I've given them 25 years to click, or at least justify they're existence in my collection, but they're still pieces of shit that haven't aged well). Entombed are nowhere near as consistent, and I'd argue that they've only released three good albums, namely Left Hand Path, Clandestine and Clandestine [Live]. However, Clandestine is my favourite album of all time...but do I prefer Entombed to Dismember? That's a tough one. The latest live album by Entombed blew me away.

Grave's first couple of albums are pretty good, same for Unleashed, but I can take or leave all their later albums, not particularly good or bad.

I'd guess if you're checking out Dismember you may not be familiar with some other classic bands, for some decent Swedish Death mental try Carnage "Dark Recollections", Desultory "Into Eternity" (or even "Bitterness"), Dissection "The Somberlain" and "Storm of the Light's Bane", Edge of Sanity "Crimson", Necrophobic "The Nocturnal Silence", Unanimated "Ancient God of Evil". A couple of those could be classed as black / death, but you'd be mad to miss any of those, they are all "must buys". There's dozens more I'd recommend, but check those out if no others. Happy listening!

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:58 pm 

metalMT wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

metalMT wrote:
Dismember are consistently good, and occasionally brilliant. Like an Ever Flowing Stream is flawless, and Massive Killing Capacity isn't half as bad as some would say - I consider it gets unfairly lumped in with the death and roll albums of the era such as Wolverine Blues and Heartwork, and is lightyears better than either (those two are pathetic albums I can certainly live without ever hearing again - I've given them 25 years to click, or at least justify they're existence in my collection, but they're still pieces of shit that haven't aged well). Entombed are nowhere near as consistent, and I'd argue that they've only released three good albums, namely Left Hand Path, Clandestine and Clandestine [Live]. However, Clandestine is my favourite album of all time...but do I prefer Entombed to Dismember? That's a tough one. The latest live album by Entombed blew me away.

Grave's first couple of albums are pretty good, same for Unleashed, but I can take or leave all their later albums, not particularly good or bad.

I'd guess if you're checking out Dismember you may not be familiar with some other classic bands, for some decent Swedish Death mental try Carnage "Dark Recollections", Desultory "Into Eternity" (or even "Bitterness"), Dissection "The Somberlain" and "Storm of the Light's Bane", Edge of Sanity "Crimson", Necrophobic "The Nocturnal Silence", Unanimated "Ancient God of Evil". A couple of those could be classed as black / death, but you'd be mad to miss any of those, they are all "must buys". There's dozens more I'd recommend, but check those out if no others. Happy listening!

Tried Dissection a while back, can't say they clicked with me, Necrophobic sound appealing

Mertyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:00 pm 

The only correct opinion is that Like An Everflowing Stream is one of the best Dm albums of all time.
The rest ranges from alright to terrible

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:14 pm 

Massive Killing Capacity is slower, but still has great riffing. It's still heavy, and a bit death-n-roll and I consider it a fine album.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:53 pm 

In terms of overall output:

1) Dismember – Most solid discography by a mile (and awesome live act). Even the often criticised Hate Campaign really isn’t bad. It’s just the least essential Dismember album. Personal fave is Indecent And Obscene. Even the cruddy production takes nothing away from its brilliance
2) Grave – Aside from Hating Life, all Grave is good especially some of their later works. I tend to spin Out Of Respect For the Dead and Dominion VIII more than the early classics these days.
3) Unleashed – Avoid Victory, Warrior and Hells Unleashed. All three are mediocre at best and just plain bad at worst. Everything else at the very least is worthy of a listen.
4) Entombed – Lost interest after Uprising completely but they did release the greatest death metal album of all time in Clandestine.

Checkout the first two Comecon albums as well if you get the chance. Punky, oddball death metal that’s far from essential but pretty cool and quite unique.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:14 am 

Dude, they're ALL good (except I can't speak for Hate Campaign).

Top 3, imo, INDECENT & OBSCENE, THE GOD THAT NEVER WAS & LIKE AN EVER FLOWING STREAM (and don't overlook PIECES either)

As for Grave, the 1st one is all I know & it's great...

For Unleashed- WHERE NO LIFE DWELLS, MIDVINTERBLOT & ODALHEIM. Read the reviews on this site for anything I've listed (from Dismember to Unleashed). Sure, you'll always find a few who crap on a particular album, but you'll find mostly scores in the 80s to 100%, & those are the ones you should pay particular attention to because they'll support their arguments very well & all of these are B A D ASS.

Alright, carry on my wayward son

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:41 am 

Phenomenal band but so rich with melodies I get burnt out 80% through an album. To me they are sort of like drinking a really tasty black coffee except it's only a 12 oz cup and you put two pinky packets so it's overly sweet. I feel the same way about bands like Limbotic Art and Ceremonial Castings.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:48 pm 

to the guy who recommended Necrophobic, i see they switched vocalists for some albums, was this a negative influence on their sound?

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:15 pm 

I saw Dismember at a small bar in Edmonton in 2008 before they broke up. It was absolutely killer, and I had an 8AM exam the next day. Worth it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:23 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
to the guy who recommended Necrophobic, i see they switched vocalists for some albums, was this a negative influence on their sound?

Not at all. Darkside and Death to All are especially great.

Dismember are one of the death metal bands with a distinct sound to their Swedeath on every one of their albums, for better or worse. The debut has to be up there with some of the best albums ever created. While they never released a bad album (even Hate Campaign, that one's underrated!), it doesn't mean they didn't falter on a few things. The Wolverine Blues sound, which I despise, wore off on a lot of Swedish bands of that era, unfortunately reaching Dismember for that one album. Massive Killing Capacity they blended more melodic death and death n roll, with some real stinker songs, but it still holds up as a whole.

For someone getting into the band, Like an Everflowing Stream is perfection and must be heard. The other must-hear is The God That Never Was. Every album is good to great and you can pick it from there.

Just stay away from the Casket Garden EP, since it takes all the worst tracks from Massive Killing Capacity and puts them all on one album. It's fucking dogshit!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:14 pm 

I honestly don't hear much death 'n' roll at all on Massive Killing Capacity. They dipped their feet into it a little, there's a vague, subtle kind of "grooving" nature to it at times, but that's about it. Even in the songs people complain about the most ("Wardead" and "Casket Garden") are pretty subtle relatively deathly, never approaching the threshold of a Wolverine Blues, Swansong, or god forbid, Swallow the Snake. The only predominately death 'n' roll-esque thing about it is Matti Karki's vocals which have that "shouting" quality typically found in the genre.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:23 am 

true_death wrote:
I honestly don't hear much death 'n' roll at all on Massive Killing Capacity. They dipped their feet into it a little, there's a vague, subtle kind of "grooving" nature to it at times, but that's about it. Even in the songs people complain about the most ("Wardead" and "Casket Garden") are pretty subtle relatively deathly, never approaching the threshold of a Wolverine Blues, Swansong, or god forbid, Swallow the Snake. The only predominately death 'n' roll-esque thing about it is Matti Karki's vocals which have that "shouting" quality typically found in the genre.

On the whole, MKC has more melodic death in it. Specific songs absolutely have a death n' roll feel to them, from trace amounts to purposefully written. "Casket Garden" riffs sound like they could have been directly influenced by Wolverine Blues. That still doesn't write the whole album off, since it's got plenty of enjoyable stuff on it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 am 

massive killing capacity has some great essentia melodic dismember songs but also some real stinkers. The worst album definitely is hate campaign even thought it does contain patrol 17.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:44 pm 

I seem to be on a bit of a classic Swedeath kick these days, so I guess this topic comes at the right time.

I really like Dismember's use of melody. The lead guitar on the first two are phenomenal. I don't mind Massive Killing Capacity at all and I have The God that Never Was and should probably listen to it more.

I don't love Dismember though. in fact I probably listen to the Carnage album more. I definitely listen to the first two Entombed records more, and the first two Grave as well for that matter. There's no doubt that Dismember were a terrific live band, though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:30 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

I'll provide my point of view: Vocals are not their problem. BUT they peaked with a phenomenally evil and darkly atmospheric debut, filled to the brim with pitch perfect riffs, and were never able to reproduce this magnum opus on any later recording. Whatever they've released since isn't a quarter of their original genius.

Fulano
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm 

This might be an unpopular opinion but, while I do like Dismember's music overall, I find it hard to enjoy their distinctive guitar distorsion and vocal style (which also applies for several old school swedish death metal bands). If it were not for that, I would listen to them more. I do appreciate their consistency, though.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:25 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I seem to be on a bit of a classic Swedeath kick these days, so I guess this topic comes at the right time.

I really like Dismember's use of melody. The lead guitar on the first two are phenomenal. I don't mind Massive Killing Capacity at all and I have The God that Never Was and should probably listen to it more.

I don't love Dismember though. in fact I probably listen to the Carnage album more. I definitely listen to the first two Entombed records more, and the first two Grave as well for that matter. There's no doubt that Dismember were a terrific live band, though.

I’m definitely more in this camp with my favourites but I still love Dismember, and I’d put Like an Everflowing Stream in 4th on my Swedish DM albums just behind Dark Recollections with LHP and Clandestine taking 1 and 2 respectively. Grave and Unleashed would follow with their debuts after Dismember.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:25 am 

Listen to the latest LIK.
It's like an album from Dismember, but with the exception that all songs are good.

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:58 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
It's like an album from Dismember, but with the exception that all songs are good.

I guess if you mean "they blatantly stole all the riffs and hooks from Dismember and Entombed songs", yes, it's good.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:23 am 

That LIK album is indeed pretty fantastic - not exactly original, sure - but they do play with a lot of fire and passion which puts them above boring shit like Revel in Flesh and Centinex. As good as they are, however, they sure as fuck aren't better than the original :), "all the songs are good" my ass!

When it comes to Dismember "clones", my favorite has always been Fleshcrawl, particularly the Sven Gross period (Bloodred Massacre and on). I guess it's a bit unfair to call them a clone because I'm pretty sure they actually formed before Dismember and never sounded like an exact replica - more or less just a band that was highly influenced by them, but they're definitely a great band - all their albums are good and worth checking out.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:

I guess if you mean "they blatantly stole all the riffs and hooks from Dismember and Entombed songs", yes, it's good.

Yeah I like some retro/Swedish-style HM2 death metal but Lik carries it too far for me. They are basically just a Dismember clone. I guess Metal Blade missed out on signing them back in the day and were feeling nostalgic? Anyway, if the existing 8 Dismember albums aren't enough it might have some appeal. Otherwise you can skip it.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 pm 

As much as I love Dismember’s debut, I actually think that the 4 Dismember tracks on Carnage’s ‘Dark Recollections' are better than half the tracks on 'Like an Everflowing Stream'. Even so, the first 2 Dismember albums are essential, the following 3 didn’t do much for me (I didn’t like ‘Massive Killing Capacity’ at all), but I was interested again from 'Where Ironcrosses Grow’ onwards (’The God That Never Was’ is fantastic).

As for Necrophobic, I actually like everything they’ve done. I’m probably alone, but for me they have a more consistent discography than Entombed, Dismember, Grave and Unleashed do. Only 8 albums in 25 years, but they’re mostly all top quality. No ‘Cold Lake’ in sight. Admittedly, a couple of their albums are too long, at an hour or more (far too long for a Death Metal album) and contain a few fillers, but the remainder are 40/45 mins (perfect length for an album).

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:55 am 

exsiccation wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:

No, I actually mean that LIK are better songwriters than Dismember.
Dismember has a few fantastic, classic songs, but that's about it. And certainly not a complete album.
And sorry for stating the obvious - but there is a big difference between Dismember and Entombed. So by casually stating that they steal riffs from Dismember and Entombed you're not really making any sense. But with that said, you are of course more than entitled to your opinion :)
Just as this is just my opinion.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:26 am 

Tornado wrote:
As much as I love Dismember’s debut, I actually think that the 4 Dismember tracks on Carnage’s ‘Dark Recollections' are better than half the tracks on 'Like an Everflowing Stream'. Even so, the first 2 Dismember albums are essential, the following 3 didn’t do much for me (I didn’t like ‘Massive Killing Capacity’ at all), but I was interested again from 'Where Ironcrosses Grow’ onwards (’The God That Never Was’ is fantastic).

As for Necrophobic, I actually like everything they’ve done. I’m probably alone, but for me they have a more consistent discography than Entombed, Dismember, Grave and Unleashed do. Only 8 albums in 25 years, but they’re mostly all top quality. No ‘Cold Lake’ in sight. Admittedly, a couple of their albums are too long, at an hour or more (far too long for a Death Metal album) and contain a few fillers, but the remainder are 40/45 mins (perfect length for an album).

One thing i noticed about Necrophobic is that a fair amount of songs on the debut is mid tempo mind

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm 

Ain’t anything wrong with Necrophobic. The Nocturnal Silence is a universal classic but Darkside is to my mind just as enjoyable to listen to. Honestly they haven’t made an album that isn’t good-perfect.

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:44 pm 

Like and own the first 2 albums, after checking the later stuff out again (quickly, listening to no more than the first 2 songs), I'd maybe pick up God that never was but I'd give it a proper listen first, it seems to be a bit more energetic. Still need to listen to the last one. Sounded ok but then some bell part put me off. It was late though.

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 pm 

Got Carnage on now. Classic album. First time I saw Dismember I yelled out for Patrol 17 and to my surprise it was played. Didn't expect to see it in the setlist (2005).

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:19 pm 

I like their first 2 and last 3, rarly bother with the middle stuff.

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 am 

Blah blah blah Like An Ever Flowing Stream is essential death metal and when you get tired of that Indecent & Obscene is worth getting as well blah blah blah

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 am 

Ya’ll might be interested in the beer then.

https://vampster.com/news/dismember-dismember-death-lager-ein-eigenes-bier/

dirty_harry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 am 

I have always regarded Dismember as a second tier Entombed, who are the more talented Stockholm-sounding death metal band and much more creative of the two.

Metal_Blood456
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 pm 

One of my favorite Death Metal bands. When i was 15 or so i used to blast everything up with "Like An Everflowing Stream" and "Indecent And Obscene". Though i still want an "Indecent and Obscene" t-shirt.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:07 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:

I gave them a listen, piss poor band attempting to ride on the coat tails of Entombed, Dismember, Nirvana 2002, et al. Heard it all before, and much better. Generic doesn't even begin to describe them.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:22 pm 

Like An Ever Flowing Stream is the untouchable pinnacle of early Swedish death metal - in my opinion anyway. No bad albums in their succeeding discography - nothing wrong with Maximum Killing Capacity - but my favourite after the debut is Where Iron Crosses Grow. Lots of it sounds like Thin Lizzy gone death. Which is of course, amazing

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next