Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm 

I especially like it when I can find this feeling from bands or genres that are not expressly geared toward creating it. Sure, bands rooted in that epic style produce some of my favourites too. I feel “powerful” from beginning to end listening to Twisted Tower Dire’s Crest of the Martyrs for example; but sometimes it’s more effective when that sense of invincibility comes from the darker genres, whose emotional responses are usually drawn from fear, hate or repugnance rather than positive strength and valour.
So, Belphegor’s Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn album really strikes that chord with me. And in particular the songs “Veneratio Diaboli” and “The Crosses Made of Bone”. I’ve yet to hear anything else that marches through my head chanting “I WILL DESTROY YOU!” quite like that.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm 

I think Bölzer have this triumphant feeling too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkP4WS8Y_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9SvhpOOyYA

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I especially like it when I can find this feeling from bands or genres that are not expressly geared toward creating it. Sure, bands rooted in that epic style produce some of my favourites too. I feel “powerful” from beginning to end listening to Twisted Tower Dire’s Crest of the Martyrs for example; but sometimes it’s more effective when that sense of invincibility comes from the darker genres, whose emotional responses are usually drawn from fear, hate or repugnance rather than positive strength and valour.
So, Belphegor’s Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn album really strikes that chord with me. And in particular the songs “Veneratio Diaboli” and “The Crosses Made of Bone”. I’ve yet to hear anything else that marches through my head chanting “I WILL DESTROY YOU!” quite like that.

Very well said, I agree and it's one of the reasons I cited Marduk's Accuser/Opposer. So dark & churning yet blasphemous and... I have to say "victorious". It's the feeling I get from it (albeit in very dark shades), of promoting autonomy & freewill among men.

Well, since that word came up, let me put it this way: Marduk's ACCUSER/OPPOSER and Rush's 'FREEWILL' are very much about the same thing at the end of the day, though they couldn't be more different in their approach. One, positive & uplifting in its music, addresses someone making their way through society and having a choice to make in how they live their lives, and the other, churning & dark in its music, pulls at you like a tractor beam towards the pits of hell but is nevertheless about free-thinking and avoiding false paths. And I suppose (if you read the lyrics) it sounds as if the [inverted] protagonist in Marduk's song is literally embracing Satan/the devil, but I'll take it to mean the Free Man or Nietzsche's "superman" in broad terms, the "Free Thinker", because I don't necessarily believe in a literal satan... SO, like the Rush song, it's standing up to religion (or anything else for that matter; political ideologies, etc. in the Rush song) telling you how to live your life. Both of these songs though, and the lyrics that accompany them, are soaring yet triumphant to my mind.

And here's 'Freewill' w/ lyrics just because, for years I couldn't make some of them out, but when I decided to learn the song on guitar & thus saw them firsthand, I was even more impressed with how beautifully the song is constructed.

Youtube: show

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 pm 

Is it USPM time? It's always USPM time. All the drama and glory of Europower with 15,000% nastier riffs.

sorry she's not responded to your DMs, bro

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:22 am 

I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the same feeling, but I'll tell my story anyway.

Back when I was a teenager, I thought I enjoyed metal like every other metalhead out there. I couldn’t help noticing, watching some live videos (particularly Maiden’s 80s and early 90s concert vids), members of the audience doing a strange kind of fast repeated double-fist pump, as though they were stuck doing the Y in the YMCA really fast over and over again whist wearing a strained sort of expression on their face. It looked a little odd to me because I never felt like doing that, but I never wondered about people’s motivations for doing it or what could possibly possess them to do it. I pretty much noticed it and didn't think much of it.
Jump forward 20 years and I’m re-discovering my metal roots again after a bit of an absence and a particular song, almost out of nowhere, made me do that exact double fist Y thing, strained expression on my face and everything, in my kitchen one afternoon without consciously thinking about it. The song impelled me to do it. Was I, for the first time, feeling that same feeling as those fans in the classic Maiden vids? Did Grim Reaper's 'Rock You to Hell' pop my 'metal feeling' cherry?

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:05 am 

Whenever I feel a little bit depressed I put this on. Then suddenly everything good in life is up for grabs ...

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

Wake up, eat toast, Rome 64 C.E, conquer the fucking universe.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:02 am 

Operation Pivo wrote:
Jump forward 20 years and I’m re-discovering my metal roots again after a bit of an absence and a particular song, almost out of nowhere, made me do that exact double fist Y thing, strained expression on my face and everything, in my kitchen one afternoon without consciously thinking about it. The song impelled me to do it. Was I, for the first time, feeling that same feeling as those fans in the classic Maiden vids? Did Grim Reaper's 'Rock You to Hell' pop my 'metal feeling' cherry?

Funny story. Watching that video makes me want to... I don't even know what. But I am old enough to remember when so much metal sounded just like this. I'm not sure it even qualifies as metal anymore, the bar's been raised so much since then.

Also, I will say some of the women in that video are sexy as hell. Funny, they're all about 35 years older now.

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

Enslaved RIITIIR 'Roots of the Mountain'

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm 

In the song "Immortal Cessation" by Incantation. There is this amazingly strong, and powerful melody around the 14 second mark. I think it gives me that sort of feeling the OP is describing.

Staying in the death metal field, Edge of Sanity's Twilight is a fantastically powerful, melodic song. Its such a blast.

LefterisK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 pm 

I totally get that soaring feeling the OP is talking about. A few bands can make me feel like this, but it is indeed a feeling that gives you strength and confidence. There are some great recommendations in this thread, so thank you guys very much (especially Gemini Rising for posting that Marduk song –to be honest, I'd never gave it the attention it deserved, but I did now thanks to this thread, and I am on my 4 consecutive listen. Undoubtedly, a "throw-your-fist-to-the-sky" kind of song".)

These songs were among the first that came to mind when thinking about a conquering and triumphant metal feeling. The first two just make me feel ready to conquer the world, whereas the other two are just fist-pumping anthems that drip pure venom in the face of any enemy.

Rise my friend, march to war!

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm 

Too many to mention, but I rediscovered Grand Magus again after falling off around the release of The Hunt, and this gem from their album Iron Will always makes me want to pump my fist in the air:

Of newer bands, I really dig Angel Sword's sound. Totally old school anthemic metal!

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 am 

It may be frowned upon to say this here, but Arch Enemy's Nemesis does this for me. The chorus is super triumphant and that melody/solo at the end still gets me. I know a lot of people find them cheap/by the numbers, but i love this one.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am 

Don't be embarrassed to share the music that makes you feel alive. Listen to what you like and never apologize.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 pm 

The unexpected bridge from Judas Priest's Ram it Down fits the bill for me

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2