Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:33 am 

I was just listening to Chimera the other day, and wondering what Blasphemer was doing nowadays, other than Aura Noir.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I was just listening to Chimera the other day, and wondering what Blasphemer was doing nowadays, other than Aura Noir.

He's also got the band Earth Electric, which is in a totally different direction: a kind of heavily 70's inspired progressive rock with Carmen Susana Simões on vocals. From what I've heard they're working on a second album. Personally I liked their debut, but it's rather different from both this project, Aura Noir or Mayhem.

As for Vltimas, I'm a little split. So far I've liked the songs they've released, even if it's not really my cup of tea - the best part being Blasphemer's riffs. But both the album's title as well as the song titles are a bit...'eh' for me. I'll probably listen to it on Spotify once it's released, but I'm not sure I'll buy the record.

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:06 am 

Dembo wrote:
A third song:

This track is better than the last Morbid Angel. Much better than the first song.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:25 pm 

New song:

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:56 am 

Season of Mist just uploaded the album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqzaCfovmg

Copros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm 

Very good surprise with this album!
I'm also usually quite skeptical when it comes to supergroup, and the I Am Morbid live videos that I've seen didn't help to convince me about Vincent's performance; but in fact this is surprisingly good! Eriksen's riffs are always as excellent, and I didn't know that Vincent could still sing like this!
Looking forward to see them at the Tons of Rock.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:40 am 

Now available in full on Bandcamp as well:
https://vltimas.bandcamp.com/album/some ... marches-in

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:32 pm 

This album is surprisingly very, very good.
Obliteration

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:21 pm 

Really love this album! I wasn't aware of this until a couple of days ago: a very great surprise!

Blasphemer's riffs are killer and I totally dig how Flo's playing is more "laid back" than usual. I've also been a huge fan of Vincent's vocals for ages: he may not sound as brutal as other death metal vocalist, but I think he is original in his approach (and it really fits the album's music). Too bad they are too high in the mix for my taste (still, this does not ruin the album for me).

I don't want to be that guy that does the obvious comparison... But I like this way more than the lastest Morbid Angel album. Way more original and less generic.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:16 am 

Am I the only one totally blown away by David Vincent's vocal delivery on this album? I didn't think he had it in him anymore, he's sounded really bland and tired for years but damn if his performance on this album isn't stellar - he sounds fucking pissed! He's a real force of nature on this album, destroying all in his path, so much venom and passion/charisma behind his voice that's been lacking for two entire decades :lol:.

Anyway, I also really like the CD. It's very, very good. All three of the members really add something special to the music and it all works really well together, blending death & black metal in a pretty unique and appealing way.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:09 pm 

Bought it on vinyl, and this is nothing short of total death. Supergroup or whatever, this is a killer album.
Sincerely, me too was a little diffident, but after two listens I have said myself " buyin' this you've done the right thing"

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 am 

i agree with many here - vincent sound great, but is a bit too high in the mix, and the album is pretty awesome as a whole, which is fairly surprising given the supergroup nature of the band, and having two egos the size of vincent and flo

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 pm 

I'm really enjoying this album as well. The drumming is fantastic and the guitars are fucking killer, and despite Vincent being up in the mix like others have said, I find myself nodding my head in unison to his cadence and singing along at times. Their style is extremely similar to Behemoth at times, like something I'd expect to hear between Evangelion and The Satanist. I honestly believe that if you replaced Vincent's vocals with Nergal on a few tracks, people would think those were unreleased Behemoth tracks.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 pm 

Blind purchased yesterday. Pleasant surprise. Three spins so far.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:40 pm 

I had been passing over this because of the general consensus on supergroups as well as the recent output of David and Flo, but going to check it out now that I see all the positive feedback here.

deltawing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 pm 

Great album. One of my favorites so far this year.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 am 

Yeah, believe the hype: this is a great album and hopefully just the starting point of this band.

It's interesting that Blasphemer has now done two death metal albums with two Morbid Angel vocalists both featuring Flo Mounier on drums, the first being Nader Sadek's In the Flesh featuring Steve Tucker on vocals. And they're both great!

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:03 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Yeah, believe the hype: this is a great album and hopefully just the starting point of this band.

You're in luck, in one of the recent issues of Decibel the band said they don't intend for this to be a one-off "supergroup" album, but a full band that will continue touring and releasing music. Hopefully we'll see a lot more from these guys in the years to come!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:02 am 

Yeah count me in as pleasantly surprised. I was shit talking this on page 1 but honestly this is really solid. Dave sounds great, Flo really doesn't go crazy which is sort of a bummer considering his skill but it works with the unit they have here because his less flashy performance gives Blasphemer's riffs some room to shine. I definitely didn't expect egos as huge as Dave and Flo to mesh at all, let alone seemingly cede to the third member but I'll be damned that's what happened. I don't see this being AOTY or anything but it's very good and I'm eating some crow over my initial assessment.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah count me in as pleasantly surprised. I was shit talking this on page 1 but honestly this is really solid. Dave sounds great, Flo really doesn't go crazy which is sort of a bummer considering his skill but it works with the unit they have here because his less flashy performance gives Blasphemer's riffs some room to shine. I definitely didn't expect egos as huge as Dave and Flo to mesh at all, let alone seemingly cede to the third member but I'll be damned that's what happened. I don't see this being AOTY or anything but it's very good and I'm eating some crow over my initial assessment.

If only Opsius could be so modest, but alas:

OpsiusCato wrote:
That track sounds poser AF. It's actually sad to see Blasphemer teaming up with those two fucking posers.

*crickets*

:wink:

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:03 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
If only Opsius could be so modest, but alas:

OpsiusCato wrote:
That track sounds poser AF. It's actually sad to see Blasphemer teaming up with those two fucking posers.

*crickets*

Sounds like a mix of Nader Sadek's debut meets "hey let's make a copycat Behemoth for the moneys". It's not bad but it's not great either. Dunno... 60-65/100? I'm unamused and unamazed.
And even if the album was a stellar, legendary one, that wouldn't take an ounce away from the fact that both Flo Mournier and David Vincent are utter fucking posers.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:13 pm 

What is Flo's crime? I don't follow his primary band.

Personally I don't care much about Vincent's other shit, he still my favorite DM vocalist and sounds pretty good here.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
What is Flo's crime? I don't follow his primary band

There's this King... One who is better left Unspoken. (And everything since)
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Personally I don't care much about Vincent's other shit, he still my favorite DM vocalist and sounds pretty good here.

Three words: Illud Divinum Insanus.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
What is Flo's crime? I don't follow his primary band

There's this King... One who is better left Unspoken. (And everything since)
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Three words: Illud Divinum Insanus.

Your first reference goes over my head, but I know nothing of Cryptosy.

As for Illlud who cares, I liked a few tunes off it. A bit different.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Ah, you liked Illud? The you're gonna love The Unspoken King.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 pm 

If it’s weren’t for the shitty clean vocals, TUK would just be another average, polarizing Cryptopsy album with wacky, mishmash songwriting like the two before it. It’s not nearly such a huge, negative change as IDI.

I will agree that I’m pleasantly surprising with Vltimas. David is damn good on it, and I really appreciate the riffing after getting into Chimera. Pretty much the best case scenario for all involved.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 am 

People often forget And Then You'll Beg. That album is a trainwreck of Unspoken King proportions, i hope i will never hear Di Salvo's voice again.
In any case i'm willing to forgive any time two main forces behind albums like Altars and None So Vile :lol:

I'm curious about all the positive feedback, i'll check out

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:31 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Ah, you liked Illud? The you're gonna love The Unspoken King.

I didn't say I liked it but I must admit I did find Destructos vs The Earth to be amusing. I can appreciate taking a chance like that though.

I looked up The Unspoken King and I'm not into deathcore so no desire to check it out.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:35 pm 

The vocals ruin it for me. Sounds like he's putting in bare minimum effort here, really disappointing considering older Morbid Angel is some of my all time favorite music. I've come back and listened to these songs a few times now and every time I can't get over the mediocre vocals. The music is pretty good for the most part but yeah. Maybe it'll grow on me at some point.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:38 pm 

Also how the hell do you pronounce it, it is "Ultimas"? I'm sick of V's in place of U's, enough already..

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:33 pm 

Any other pronounciation than "Ultimas" would be highly surprising...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2