Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 369
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 am 
 

New Evergrey album "The Atlantic" comes out January 25th

01. A Silent Arc
02. Weightless
03. All I Have
04. A Secret Atlantis
05. The Tidal
06. End Of Silence
07. Currents
08. Departure
09. The Beacon
10. This Ocean
https://www.facebook.com/Evergrey/

Image

Top
 Profile  
fourrobert13
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 pm
Posts: 819
Location: The Bunker
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 pm 
 

Very prog album artwork. Looking forward to hearing this one. Evergrey never disappoints IMO.
_________________
Click the link to discover new things.

Top
 Profile  
Xymosys
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 am
Posts: 352
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 am 
 

Devouring cover art!!!
_________________
You can't beat me...you can't beat the demons, I insist.

Top
 Profile  
maladie
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:42 am
Posts: 228
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 am 
 

Looking forward to this. The last two albums were pretty solid as well, especially Hymns.

Top
 Profile  
exsiccation
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:49 pm
Posts: 242
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 am 
 

I just went on an Evergrey binge the other day, so this is certainly good to see.

Top
 Profile  
Dullahan
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 pm
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:29 pm 
 

Pretty good cover art. Not a big fan Hansen's mixing\mastering, but music-wise their last two were quite decent and riff heavy (by Evergrey standards, at least), so here's hoping this'll keep it up.

Top
 Profile  
BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 pm
Posts: 328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm 
 

Album art looks fantastic, and the last two albums were definitely an improvement over their mid to late aughts material; that said, the days where I would reasonably hope for a return to the level of quality of In Search of Truth have come and gone.

Top
 Profile  
BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 pm
Posts: 328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:42 pm 
 

On the topic of Evergrey, anyone have any analysis of the remasters they released? Recreation Day could sound incredible if it were cleaned up a bit, for one.

Top
 Profile  
Dullahan
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 pm
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:23 pm 
 

First track is up. Good chorus and solo, riffing overall needs a little bit more "oomph" after that first set, but that's Evergrey. Here's hoping the rest is as solid as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vedv2gPio

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 1852
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:09 pm 
 

I love the lead singer’s Instagram account trying to mine my list. Fuck that shit is annoying.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
exsiccation
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:49 pm
Posts: 242
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:48 pm 
 

Interesting choice for a first track - it has the feel of an album closer.

I like it. It is a lot more along the lines of some of their earlier work, with some more interesting songwriting (though not really what I'd call progressive or complex). The last two albums were good compared to some of that mid-period material, but definitely a bit samey.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 369
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:35 am 
 

New song/video up
Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
fourrobert13
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 pm
Posts: 819
Location: The Bunker
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 am 
 

I really enjoyed the new track. Real heavy compared to previous Evergrey music. I hope there are more songs like it on the album. Heavier is always welcome.
_________________
Click the link to discover new things.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 647
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 pm 
 

Early reviews are extremely positive.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 647
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm 
 

I'm listening to it now and it's absolutely gorgeous. The first song alone is worth the price of the album.

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 3976
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am 
 

Never been a fan of this band but as they will be touring reasonably close to where I live I have checked out the single and it sounds fine.

By the way, spectacular album artwork.

Top
 Profile  
BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 pm
Posts: 328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:25 am 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I'm listening to it now and it's absolutely gorgeous. The first song alone is worth the price of the album.


I agree. Initially, my expectations for the album were lowered by Weightless; simply put, my expectations were exceeded by the full album.

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2040
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm 
 

I'm a little late on getting this album, but it arrived on Friday and I've had 4-5 runs through it. I am not the biggest Evergrey fan, but am getting more and more into them over the years.

That said, this record is exactly what I wanted from them. It's a really intense, emotional experience. "Currents" is probably the only song that is great as a standalone track, but the entire album is just so heavy and draining. "A Silent Arc" works way better in the context of the album (even if it is the opener!). Literally half the songs on this album sound like waves are just crashing down on you while listening. "All I Have" has no business being as good as it is, given how repetitive the song is. Again though, it's just that waning sound that works so well for Evergrey.

I'm not sure this will necessarily be a top 10 album come year end, but I'm very happy with it and will be listening to it a lot.
_________________
Skull Fracturing Metal - Facebook Page
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 647
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm 
 

It'll definitely be in my top ten. I still listen to it daily.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 369
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm 
 

This is a damn heavy record. Evergrey used to emote so much without the music to back it up in the past but this just sounds so rich on all levels. I love their early period, not so much the mid era but the last stretch of albums has been excellent with this being the absolute pinnacle.

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2040
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
This is a damn heavy record. Evergrey used to emote so much without the music to back it up in the past but this just sounds so rich on all levels. I love their early period, not so much the mid era but the last stretch of albums has been excellent with this being the absolute pinnacle.


What are the albums that split those three eras? I own The Dark Discovery, Solitude Dominance Tragedy, Recreation Day, and Monday Morning Apocalypse (and the new one obviously). I love RD and MMA, but the other two are just ok for me.
_________________
Skull Fracturing Metal - Facebook Page
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 pm
Posts: 328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 am 
 

Spiner202 wrote:
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
This is a damn heavy record. Evergrey used to emote so much without the music to back it up in the past but this just sounds so rich on all levels. I love their early period, not so much the mid era but the last stretch of albums has been excellent with this being the absolute pinnacle.


What are the albums that split those three eras? I own The Dark Discovery, Solitude Dominance Tragedy, Recreation Day, and Monday Morning Apocalypse (and the new one obviously). I love RD and MMA, but the other two are just ok for me.


The Dark Discovery through The Inner Circle comprises the first era (though The Inner Circle is pretty different in comparison to their first four albums, with less of a focus on riffs), Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn, and Glorious Collision are the mid period, and Hymns For the Broken, The Storm Within, and The Atlantic are the most recent period.

Glorious Collision and even most of Hymns were transitions into their current sound.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26038
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:09 am 
 

Heard a song off this yesterday and actually liked it, which is weird because I never used to like this band even a little bit. So this apparently is something, I guess.

edit: Liked the first few songs, then the rest of it was just a bit too monotonous to grab me - too much dreary bleakness and the melodies weren't striking enough to really hit me.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Prodigy

Top
 Profile  
PeteGas
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 pm 
 

BarryLamarBonds wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
This is a damn heavy record. Evergrey used to emote so much without the music to back it up in the past but this just sounds so rich on all levels. I love their early period, not so much the mid era but the last stretch of albums has been excellent with this being the absolute pinnacle.


What are the albums that split those three eras? I own The Dark Discovery, Solitude Dominance Tragedy, Recreation Day, and Monday Morning Apocalypse (and the new one obviously). I love RD and MMA, but the other two are just ok for me.


The Dark Discovery through The Inner Circle comprises the first era (though The Inner Circle is pretty different in comparison to their first four albums, with less of a focus on riffs), Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn, and Glorious Collision are the mid period, and Hymns For the Broken, The Storm Within, and The Atlantic are the most recent period.

Glorious Collision and even most of Hymns were transitions into their current sound.


I like the first two. Then in search of truth and recreation day are both fucking amazing to these ears. Inner circle was a step down but still good. MMA has some good songs but I recall thinking it was too poppy at the time (the title track is a goddamn banger though). Thought Torn was more of the same so that was the last one I really looked into. Perhaps I should give the later stuff a shot. To me they are a band with some filler but when they are on they are really on in terms of individual songs (masterplan, as I lie here bleeding, a touch of blessing etc etc )

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kerrick, MammothRider, Marken, MetaLWarriorX, PeteGas and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group