07. Currents
08. Departure
09. The Beacon
10. This Ocean
https://www.facebook.com/Evergrey/

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 pm 

Very prog album artwork. Looking forward to hearing this one. Evergrey never disappoints IMO.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 am 

Devouring cover art!!!

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 am 

Looking forward to this. The last two albums were pretty solid as well, especially Hymns.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:29 pm 

Pretty good cover art. Not a big fan Hansen's mixing\mastering, but music-wise their last two were quite decent and riff heavy (by Evergrey standards, at least), so here's hoping this'll keep it up.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm 

Album art looks fantastic, and the last two albums were definitely an improvement over their mid to late aughts material; that said, the days where I would reasonably hope for a return to the level of quality of In Search of Truth have come and gone.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:42 pm 

On the topic of Evergrey, anyone have any analysis of the remasters they released? Recreation Day could sound incredible if it were cleaned up a bit, for one.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:23 pm 

First track is up. Good chorus and solo, riffing overall needs a little bit more "oomph" after that first set, but that's Evergrey. Here's hoping the rest is as solid as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vedv2gPio

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:09 pm 

I love the lead singer’s Instagram account trying to mine my list. Fuck that shit is annoying.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:48 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:35 am 

New song/video up

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 am 

I really enjoyed the new track. Real heavy compared to previous Evergrey music. I hope there are more songs like it on the album. Heavier is always welcome.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 pm 

Early reviews are extremely positive.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm 

I'm listening to it now and it's absolutely gorgeous. The first song alone is worth the price of the album.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am 

Never been a fan of this band but as they will be touring reasonably close to where I live I have checked out the single and it sounds fine.

By the way, spectacular album artwork.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:25 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I'm listening to it now and it's absolutely gorgeous. The first song alone is worth the price of the album.

I agree. Initially, my expectations for the album were lowered by Weightless; simply put, my expectations were exceeded by the full album.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm 

I'm a little late on getting this album, but it arrived on Friday and I've had 4-5 runs through it. I am not the biggest Evergrey fan, but am getting more and more into them over the years.

That said, this record is exactly what I wanted from them. It's a really intense, emotional experience. "Currents" is probably the only song that is great as a standalone track, but the entire album is just so heavy and draining. "A Silent Arc" works way better in the context of the album (even if it is the opener!). Literally half the songs on this album sound like waves are just crashing down on you while listening. "All I Have" has no business being as good as it is, given how repetitive the song is. Again though, it's just that waning sound that works so well for Evergrey.

I'm not sure this will necessarily be a top 10 album come year end, but I'm very happy with it and will be listening to it a lot.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm 

It'll definitely be in my top ten. I still listen to it daily.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm 

This is a damn heavy record. Evergrey used to emote so much without the music to back it up in the past but this just sounds so rich on all levels. I love their early period, not so much the mid era but the last stretch of albums has been excellent with this being the absolute pinnacle.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
This is a damn heavy record. Evergrey used to emote so much without the music to back it up in the past but this just sounds so rich on all levels. I love their early period, not so much the mid era but the last stretch of albums has been excellent with this being the absolute pinnacle.

What are the albums that split those three eras? I own The Dark Discovery, Solitude Dominance Tragedy, Recreation Day, and Monday Morning Apocalypse (and the new one obviously). I love RD and MMA, but the other two are just ok for me.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 am 

Spiner202 wrote:

What are the albums that split those three eras? I own The Dark Discovery, Solitude Dominance Tragedy, Recreation Day, and Monday Morning Apocalypse (and the new one obviously). I love RD and MMA, but the other two are just ok for me.

The Dark Discovery through The Inner Circle comprises the first era (though The Inner Circle is pretty different in comparison to their first four albums, with less of a focus on riffs), Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn, and Glorious Collision are the mid period, and Hymns For the Broken, The Storm Within, and The Atlantic are the most recent period.

Glorious Collision and even most of Hymns were transitions into their current sound.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:09 am 

Heard a song off this yesterday and actually liked it, which is weird because I never used to like this band even a little bit. So this apparently is something, I guess.

edit: Liked the first few songs, then the rest of it was just a bit too monotonous to grab me - too much dreary bleakness and the melodies weren't striking enough to really hit me.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 pm 

BarryLamarBonds wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

The Dark Discovery through The Inner Circle comprises the first era (though The Inner Circle is pretty different in comparison to their first four albums, with less of a focus on riffs), Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn, and Glorious Collision are the mid period, and Hymns For the Broken, The Storm Within, and The Atlantic are the most recent period.

Glorious Collision and even most of Hymns were transitions into their current sound.

I like the first two. Then in search of truth and recreation day are both fucking amazing to these ears. Inner circle was a step down but still good. MMA has some good songs but I recall thinking it was too poppy at the time (the title track is a goddamn banger though). Thought Torn was more of the same so that was the last one I really looked into. Perhaps I should give the later stuff a shot. To me they are a band with some filler but when they are on they are really on in terms of individual songs (masterplan, as I lie here bleeding, a touch of blessing etc etc )

Reply to topic