Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 am 

Devin Townsend will release a new album via InsideOutMusic.

Source:
http://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetai ... dCompany=8

The first paragraph says "new albums" (plural), but one thing at a time.

Last edited by Dembo on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 am 

More Devin is always good! Personally I'm hoping for a fresher sound compared to Transcendence.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am 

Well, interestingly enough, Devin Townsend is considered a separate project from Devin Townsend Project, which released Transcendence. So, technically, and if I understand it correctly, this is a follow-up to Ziltoid the Omniscient, from 2007.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:51 am 

I guess technically it is, but Z² was released under the Devin Townsend Project name so I don't think we can deduct much from that. :lol:

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 am 

Devy is/was one of my favorite artists of all time, and I thought he could do no wrong. But literally everything he's touched since 2012 has been mediocre at best. It really feels like he's been going for quantity over quality the past few years and even Z² felt lazy. The fact that he's taken two years off gives me some hope, but I have zero excitement for anything he announces anymore.

Xymosys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm 

Please god almighty, just no more Ziltoid

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:50 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Devy is/was one of my favorite artists of all time, and I thought he could do no wrong. But literally everything he's touched since 2012 has been mediocre at best. It really feels like he's been going for quantity over quality the past few years and even Z² felt lazy. The fact that he's taken two years off gives me some hope, but I have zero excitement for anything he announces anymore.

I've enjoyed everything he released after 2012, I just never revisit any of it when I want to listen to some Devin Townsend. Well, I do spin
Casualties of Cool once in a while because it's such a relaxing listen and Dorval is great. I wouldn't say his post 2012 is mediocre at best because I loved all of it the first week after release, it's just far less memorable in hindsight.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:17 pm 

66Samus posted a vlog about the new recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxkid3yjfs

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:01 pm 

I agree on his recent stuff not being so good, transcendence was boring as hell, I hope he's more inspired this time.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 pm 

Hehe, yeah, another one here who wouldn't want to live without some early Devin in their life but could drop a lot of the recent stuff.

I'm curious, but not excited. I just don't have much hope for anything that'll stand alongside stuff like Terria, Biomech, Accelerated.. SYL etc. in the long run.

LefterisK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 am 

Rompestromper wrote:
66Samus posted a vlog about the new recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxkid3yjfs

Wow, what an annoying guy!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:34 am 

Since he “rebooted” his life circa 2007 by getting off the drugs, Devin has only made three misstep albums: Ziltoid, Deconstruction, and Z2 Dark Matters. Basically the albums where he tries to go over the top with arrangements and technicality feel extremely forced and ham fisted to me.

Addicted, Ghost, Epicloud, Casualties and Sky Blue easily rank among his best work. Ki and Transcendence are damn solid too.

I’m cautiously looking forward to Empath If it’s song oriented like the above albums, it could be outstanding. If it’s an attempt to be overwrought and Uber-technical like Ziltoid and such, it’ll probably be garbage.

Dembo wrote:
Well, interestingly enough, Devin Townsend is considered a separate project from Devin Townsend Project, which released Transcendence. So, technically, and if I understand it correctly, this is a follow-up to Ziltoid the Omniscient, from 2007.

I understand this is a matter of technical precision, but this annoys me. Not you specifically, because essentially everyone frames his career in this fashion. It’s clear to me that all albums outside of SYL and Casualties are all solo albums from one canon. The “Band” and “Project” suffixes serve to only muddy the waters. I view Empath as the follow up to Transendence the same way I viewed Ki as the follow up to Ziltoid. It’s all one long solo career to me.
Obliteration

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:37 am 

I've enjoyed pretty much all his albums, even if sometimes the songwriting can sometimes feel a bit like it's on autopilot. One of the hardest-working and most talented musicians out there right now. There are bands releasing straight-up better material, but few with the sheer range of genres, or being able to blend them together into any kind of cohesive sound.

The fact that this album apparently has 3 drummers, and brings back the blasting, is interesting. Sounds like maybe he's going for a more extreme take on things, with some more metal songs as well as some softer ones.

As far as the name it's released under (Devin Townsend vs. Devin Townsend Project), to me that feels mostly like a technical or even legal/business distinction, considering that the musicians in Project are no longer working with him from what I've read.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I agree, to a certain extent, but I fucking love Transcendence. I hadn't liked anything from him in the longest time and then that one kicked my ass. I think Failure is one of the greatest songs he's ever written.

Xymosys wrote:
Please god almighty, just no more Ziltoid

Amen. I've never been able to get into ANY tracks on either of those records. I don't care how good the music is.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 pm 

Favorite artist. I also went through a phase where I was just completely blown away by the fact that everything he put out was incredible - City to Ocean Machine, Infinity, Physicist and Terria. Synchestra came out and it was the first of his albums I didn't like (still don't except for one song). He rebounded big time in my opinion with AE, Addicted, Epicloud and Sky Blue. I wasn't impressed with Deconstruction, Z2 and some of the others, but Ziltoid 1 is amazing, Ghost is phenomenal and Casualties of Cool is jaw dropping. The guy's entire discography is like +90% amazing. Not bad for a legacy at all. I am looking forward to this, even though Transcendence was good but not great.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am 

Four short clips:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpyfhmXg2dl
https://www.instagram.com/p/BprDGEQAFhY
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpJCD-oFHxK
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpJC1Y3Fg0I

One of them comes with the description "Some of the stuff is brutal, some commercial, some meditational, some like a Disney film. Whatever I guess... too old now to play games".

DividerOfShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:27 pm 

I'll agree that his post-2012 albums were treading water a bit, but I've always found at least something to like about them: Casualties of Cool has a wonderful atmosphere, Sky Blue has "Rejoice", Z2 has "Ziltoid Goes Home" (the intro riff is badass) and "Dimension Z" (the song is so beautiful), whereas Transcendence's "Stormbending" and "Higher" are stunningly awesome. Looking forward to Empath, sounds like he's leaving his DTP comfort zone on that one a bit. I also hope Obviouser, his "dissonant bass project with a choir" will see the light one day.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 am 

Guests:
Mike Keneally (Dethklok)
Morgan Ågren (Kaipa, Casualties of Cool)
Anup Sastry (ex-Skyharbor, Marty Friedman)
Elliot Desgagnés (Beneath The Massacre, Conflux)
Nathan Navarro
Sam Paulicelli (Decrepit Birth)
Anneke Van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering, Vuur, etc.)
Che Dorval (Casualties of Cool)
Chad Kroeger (Nickelback)
Steve Vai

Source:
http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming- ... bum-empath

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 am 

I saw this info making the rounds yesterday, and based on the description, I don't think this album will be for me. The quotes in the article lead me to believe this album will be more along the lines of Deconstruction, Ziltoid, and Dark Matters, all of which I'd say (and have said in this thread already) rank among my least favorite albums of his. I'll still check it out, because his worst albums are better than most other band's best work, and there's always something of worth to be found through digging. But overall I find his albums in this vein to be unmemorable with low replay value and the songwriting is generally incoherent. I'm sure some might say I'm simply not "getting it", but it's just a matter of preference-I just prefer the well written songs on Addicted, Epicloud, Sky Blue, etc. Oh well.

Anyways, I suppose some will be up in arms about the Chad Kroeger guest spot? Eh, doesn't bother me. I don't like Nickelback at all, but he's good at what he does.

Paulicelli annoys the bejesus out of me.
Obliteration

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 am 

That is such a good take on things. Aside from Z1, which I love, most of his later works pale in comparison to the early stuff, exactly like you said. I have the feeling that Empath will be, again as you stated, in the same vein as these recent albums. I think part of the problem is it seems like he's simply over extending himself. He's trying to make his sound larger scale and more ambitious than perhaps even he can successfully do. Adding the choirs, the theatrical elements, etc....it just makes those albums like Deconstruction and Z2 seem more like audio plays than actual music. Isn't he also trying to crowd fund like 10 million dollars to write his symphony and make a play out of it or something? I mean if anyone can do that it would be him, and in a way it would seem to be a natural climax of his 20+ years as a musician, but man...that's a pretty insane undertaking. In his early years this wasn't the case. If you look at Ocean Machine - Terria and then Addicted, Epicloud and Sky Blue, they had much less going on sonically, but the songs were much more memorable and remarkably beautiful in their simplicity.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 am 

Deconstruction, Ziltoid, Addicted and Epicloud are all great. It's the albums after Epicloud that have been of various amounts of "eh it's alright" for me, regardless of style. Too safe. Complacent even, sometimes. Barring Casualties of Cool, but that's not really a "Devin Townsend album" as much as an entirely new thing.

So, him saying stuff like this is making me excited to listen to it! Because to me this is pointing towards something different. May it not be musical, but in attitude.

"Some people will totally love it, a fair amount will take awhile to have it sink in, some won’t get it at all, some will definitely prefer the bonus disk or the previous work, but fuck me, did I ever need to get this out of my system. It’s like 12 years of vomit at once…

and

"I had a choice to either go commercial or uncompromised on this. Thanks to Garth Richardson and Chad for convincing me to not compromise. It’s a hard choice as you get older because the temptation to play it safe is huge for the sake of family and security."

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 am 

Well that's easily his best quality - perhaps more than any other musician on earth, Devin could so easily have been world famous if only he decided to write commercial music. Hell, even if some of his earlier stuff were played on the radio, he'd get millions of fans. But through it all, he's always held on to his integrity. Much respect for that.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:23 am 

Cover art:

It's planned to be released mid March and will have ten bonus tracks.

"Listened through Empath mastering. A couple of small tweaks here, but I think its done. Its 74 minutes long, the experience is 'epic' in the most literal sense. I feel like I just finished watching Ben Hur... exceptionally proud."
-Devin

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:30 pm 

Say what you will about the music, but I really like that album art.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:51 pm 

Me too. Simplicity works sometimes, and that album title font is killer.

Hoping the music is much, much more adventurous than he's been in a while.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm 

All available indicators thus far lead me to believe that I will not like this album as much as other albums of his (or at all), as it appears to be in a style that is more towards the albums I am not fond of listed earlier in this thread.

That said, I have to emphasize that I am still very much looking forward to hearing new music once released, and am trying to keep an open mind as they way he described the lyrical bent sounds like something I could use right about now.

As for the art, I wonder if the physical versions will be die cut around the title so the front facing artwork is starkly simple (as displayed), but when you slip out the CD booklet or vinyl sleeve it reveals much more vivid imagery (the coloring of the title could be implying that).
Obliteration

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 pm 

Yes. I will lie down with my expensive earphones and play this in its entirety.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 am 

I wonder if i'm the only person that is glad that the Devin Townsend Project is no more, I felt like it should've ended after Deconstruction like it was originally intended to. I especially hate the that second Ziltoid album was released under that moniker and not just Devin Townsend like the first one was.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm 

Don't much care about the name distinctions myself. It's all more or less Devin Townsend's work. I have it all filed under "Devin Townsend". =)

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 am 

Making of "Empath" documentary series announced, coming soon.

Youtube: show

Xymosys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm 

I like this "newer" cover of the album with whales and turtles XD

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 pm 

This one? It looks so cheap. :ugh: I vastly prefer the simpler one myself, hope it turns out to be the real one.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:13 pm 

this better be fake otherwise that is pretty fucking embarrassing

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm 

That is gargantuan sea life!

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
this better be fake otherwise that is pretty fucking embarrassing

So apparently it's almost 9 months old, from back when Devin first announced Empath. I'm going to assume he decided against using it....

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 am 

Since there will be different editions of the album, maybe both covers will be used.

It will be released on limited 2 CD digipak (including an entire disc of bonus material), standard CD jewelcase, gatefold 180G 2LP vinyl + CD + LP-booklet and as digital album.

Tracklist:
01. Castaway
02. Genesis
03. Spirits Will Collide
04. Evermore
05. Sprite
06. Hear Me
07. Why
08. Borderlands
09. Requiem
10. Singularity Part 1 - Adrift
11. Singularity Part 2 - I Am I
12. Singularity Part 3 - There Be Monsters
13. Singularity Part 4 - Curious Gods
14. Singularity Part 5 - Silicon Scientists
15. Singularity Part 6 - Here Comes the Sun

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:01 pm 

Not anything directly to do with Empath, but here's something somewhat tangentially related as it's a new band featuring ex-DTP/SYL members. That said, I'm not particularity feeling this song.
Obliteration

GrayChild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:19 pm 

Thanks to this album, Chad Kroeger from Nickelback finally got his page in Metal Archives:

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ger/782837

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm 

Not sure why he included that guy on the record, to be honest. And Imonolith is such crappy music. Horrible vocalist.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:05 am 

Youtube: show
First part of the docu! Probably some snippets of music in there.

Edit: Ok so no music yet..

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next