Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:48 pm 

I pre-ordered this album; it shipped towards the end of last week and thus should be in the mail any day now.

For those of you who've heard it, how is it?

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:00 am 

One listen on Spotify and it sounded decent. Usual death/thrash sound. Nothing will get near the first two but good to hear bands still playing this style.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:51 am 

It's good. A little plodding at times and the band could do a better job honing in on their better riffs, but you won't be disappointed. Agree with this poster above, it's not going to be as good as their first two but it's a fine comeback regardless. You can read a full review of it here:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/opprobriu ... es-review/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm 

I'm curious too. I'll check it out at some point. They've been a very consistent band.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I'm curious too. I'll check it out at some point. They've been a very consistent band.

Just curious - do you think of them as a secular act?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Just curious - do you think of them as a secular act?

No, a Christian one.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:35 pm 

They're definitely a Christian band but I appreciate their approach to it, they come across as legit metalheads who simply write from their own religious perspective, as opposed to bands like Mortification who seem to view their music as some kind of ministry.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm 

I don't really consider them a Christian band, though they are admittedly about as borderline as you can get to being a Christian band while remaining a secular band.

One band that falls in the same category that no one calls a Christian band is Devastation, primarily on their album Idolatry. There are also two or three other songs not on Idolatry that could be seen as Christian songs, though Idolatry is definitely the closest they came to being a proper Christian band. Idolatry is also my favorite Devastation album, for what it's worth.

Solitude Aeturnus have an EP or so worth of songs that are pretty much Christian in nature, and no one labels them a Christian band.

I'd say about a full length album worth of Opprobrium/Incubus songs, roughly, you could put on an album and I'd totally believe they were a Christian band.

Anyways, off topic from whether we consider them Christian or secular (I'm in the latter camp), I'm really happy to hear that the new album is enjoyable from those who have heard it.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:11 am 

The Opprobrium/Incubus discographies are a mess of reissues, someone should sort that out.

On topic, Opprobrium are ok, but everything they did since the second Incubus album sounds tame by comparison.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:49 am 

Kind of mediocre. A good riff pops up here and there, and at points it's reminiscent of the old stuff, but overall it's just not very good or interesting.

Last edited by I Am the Law on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:49 am 

Required Fields wrote:
I don't really consider them a Christian band, though they are admittedly about as borderline as you can get to being a Christian band while remaining a secular band.

One band that falls in the same category that no one calls a Christian band is Devastation, primarily on their album Idolatry. There are also two or three other songs not on Idolatry that could be seen as Christian songs, though Idolatry is definitely the closest they came to being a proper Christian band. Idolatry is also my favorite Devastation album, for what it's worth.

Solitude Aeturnus have an EP or so worth of songs that are pretty much Christian in nature, and no one labels them a Christian band.

I'd say about a full length album worth of Opprobrium/Incubus songs, roughly, you could put on an album and I'd totally believe they were a Christian band.

Anyways, off topic from whether we consider them Christian or secular (I'm in the latter camp), I'm really happy to hear that the new album is enjoyable from those who have heard it.

I've actually never checked out the Devastation lyrics but I love that album. Odd.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:18 pm 

true_death wrote:
They're definitely a Christian band but I appreciate their approach to it, they come across as legit metalheads who simply write from their own religious perspective, as opposed to bands like Mortification who seem to view their music as some kind of ministry.

I pretty much agree with that except that I think mortification has some good stuff in their discography, especially on their debut.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:54 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
true_death wrote:

I pretty much agree with that except that I think mortification has some good stuff in their discography, especially on their debut.

Sure, they've got some good albums like Scrolls of the Megiloth and whatnot, and from what I remember the lyrics back in those days were more "metal" and in a similar vein to Opprobrium/Incubus, like killing demons and Satanists and whatnot, but later on it seemed like they ran out of riffs and only wanted to evangelize the metal scene or something :lol:.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am 

true_death wrote:
Sure, they've got some good albums like Scrolls of the Megiloth and whatnot, and from what I remember the lyrics back in those days were more "metal" and in a similar vein to Opprobrium/Incubus, like killing demons and Satanists and whatnot, but later on it seemed like they ran out of riffs and only wanted to evangelize the metal scene or something :lol:.

I suspect so many lineup changes caused that style shift, and I also suspect that their early drummer Jayson Sherlock contributed a lot to their music in the earliest days.

I'm not an expert on this band and their whole discography, but their Relentless album did have some strong tracks IIRC and featured Jeff Lewis on guitar, who is really amazing and a real underrated talent.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 am 

The best answer you're going to get in a forum is more or less: "it's good" or "it's bad"
Why don't you just, listen to the entire thing by yourself for free in the internet?

https://opprobriumband.bandcamp.com/alb ... n-entities

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 pm 

i just listened and the vocals are p bad but its decent otherwise

Reply to topic