Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:28 pm 

I have an unpopular opinion here...

I thought this album was very good, best of their post portnoy era and one of the best of the carreer, I just enjoy the songwriting here much better than anything post Images & Words (to me, their best).

From the Portnoy era, to me, the only worthwhile efforts are the first two and The Dance of Eternity, the rest of their discography have some good songs from some albums (specially Train of Thought) but the rest, to me, sounds like filler almost all the time with glimpses of brilliancy from the early days

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:11 am 

John “Steroid Shred Jesus” Petrucci does it again. I enjoy the album a lot and don’t think it really has any weak moments, except for the bonus track “Viper King” which suffers from bad lyrics and the slightly more generic, blues-influenced riffs. Bluesy stuff throws my whole shit off.

Otherwise great job DT.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 am 

It's better than the last two, but I'm still struggling to figure out how there were so many good songs on A Dramatic Turn of Events and so few on the last 3 albums. Nothing from the last 3 has been able to touch stuff like "Lost Not Forgotten," "Bridges in the Sky" or "Breaking All Illusions." My issue with Distance Over Time is just how forgettable everything is. It sounds like someone just wrote a computer program to make DT songs and made an album out of it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
It's better than the last two, but I'm still struggling to figure out how there were so many good songs on A Dramatic Turn of Events and so few on the last 3 albums. Nothing from the last 3 has been able to touch stuff like "Lost Not Forgotten," "Bridges in the Sky" or "Breaking All Illusions." My issue with Distance Over Time is just how forgettable everything is. It sounds like someone just wrote a computer program to make DT songs and made an album out of it.

So you find it better than their last two albums but also generic and forgettable??? Damn, some people are just so hard to please. Yes, this is a band that invites nitpickers galore based on how much detail they provide with their music but there's a difference between being involved in the dynamics of the music like that and just being annoyingly fussy.

Distance Over Time works because the band hasn't sounded this fresh in a while; although I'll argue that The Astonishing despite being 2 discs long and sorta overblown also had some really chewable tunes that were short and punchy like "A Better Life" and if taken aside from the whole thing did provide a breath of fresh air from all the tired technical wankery some of us were getting weary of.

The difference on this record is that these are fully fleshed out songs that both manage to stay true to Dream Theater's signatures while still sounding concise and engaging.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:49 pm 

I apologize for not liking an album you like. Hopefully you will forgive me.

But in all seriousness, I enjoy virtually every DT album up until the self-titled, so I'm not sure I would call it picky. These songs just don't grab me at all. I wish they did, but I can't force myself to like music that does nothing for me. Just because this is better than the last two doesn't mean it's good. A 50% is better than a 30% and a 10%, but it's still a 50%.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4