Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am 

Flotsam and Jetsam will release a new album in early 2019 via AFM Records.

01. Prisoner of Time
02. Control
03. Recover
04. Prepare for Chaos
05. Slowly Insane
06. Architects of Hate
07. Demolition Man
08. Unwelcome Surprise
09. Snake Eye
10. Survive
11. Good or Bad
12. The End

"This album kills! It's all five guys with the gas pedal pushed to the floor for the entire album!"
- drummer Ken Mary.

"It was cool to have a new element of influence on this album with having Ken's drum parts to partner with and play in and around his playing that also do with the guitars and vocals. Glad to have had Jacob Hansen bringing this album to the overall sound and energy it has, Jacob really highlights AK's vocal melodies, as well as Steve and Michael's songwriting, while the power of the rhythm section drives the songs."
- bassist Michael Spencer

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:16 am 

Stop trying to make Flotzilla a thing, guys. It's never going to be a thing.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 am 

That cover looks awful and the new song is painfully average.

Quote:
Stop trying to make Flotzilla a thing, guys. It's never going to be a thing.

True.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am 

I like the song. But this band seems content with their second-tier status.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm 

Jesus Christ what an awful cover. I really don't get it, there are artists who can get you good art for fairly cheap. Why do these bands, who I assume have at least a modest budget, get album arts that look hamfisted, wonky, and slapped together?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:07 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Jesus Christ what an awful cover. I really don't get it, there are artists who can get you good art for fairly cheap. Why do these bands, who I assume have at least a modest budget, get album arts that look hamfisted, wonky, and slapped together?

Don't some labels have artists who they tend to work with, rather than the band choosing?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:30 pm 

Dembo wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:

Don't some labels have artists who they tend to work with, rather than the band choosing?

Definitely. People who do mixing/mastering work as well.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:39 pm 

OK, so that moves the question up a rung. Why do the labels choose to work with these awful artists when there are definitely artists who could get them better art for similar prices? I don't know how any band or label exec could look at art like that and go, "this was definitely worth the money we spent".

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:51 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
OK, so that moves the question up a rung. Why do the labels choose to work with these awful artists when there are definitely artists who could get them better art for similar prices? I don't know how any band or label exec could look at art like that and go, "this was definitely worth the money we spent".

Yep.

Will anyone want this image on a t-shirt/patch/poster/vinyl? Will this image help us move units? Business 101

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:12 pm 

The concept is fine, it's the execution that misses wide of the mark. Ah well, artwork has never been one of the more compelling aspects of the band to me.

As for the song, it's a confirmation to fans they're continuing where the self-titled left off and based on brief clips I've heard over the last year or so, there should be stronger songs ahead. Ken Mary's drumming works with their current direction much more interestingly than I expected it to.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 pm 

Choked on and snorted my drink up my nose when I saw the cover art upon opening this thread. Definite so terrible it's great quality. As for the song, I'm not going to listen to it. My interest in the band stops directly after the second album.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35 pm 

yeah, I agree...after "No Place for Disgrace" I kind of gave up on the band. I heard a couple songs off the album they did after that, and they were the most utterly boring mid-paced "thrash" tunes I had ever heard. It was like a half-assed attempt to copy what Metallica did on "And Justice for All" (which was, at that time anyway, the least exciting album THEY had ever done- maybe the rest of the band trying and failing to one-up Newstead's new band?) I'll still probably at least give this a listen though, but I am certainly not expecting much.

Edit: I just had a chance to listen to it, and it's actually better than I thought. It reminds me a little of Iron Maiden for some reason, mainly the vocals I guess. The riffs are actually decent, and a lot of that is helped by some of the distinct rhythms here. While better than I thought, I would still hesitate to compare it favorably to the early stuff. Good, but not outstanding.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:44 pm 

Another new song:

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 am 

Quote:
"This album kills! It's all five guys with the gas pedal pushed to the floor for the entire album!"
- drummer Ken Mary.

Wait, so is that five guys pushing ONE gas pedal to the floor? Is it a super-sized gas pedal, or do they have tiny feet? Or do they each have their own gas pedal? That seems like a pretty dangerous car. Your kid in the back seat could accelerate the car at any moment, slamming you at 100mph into a bridge abutment.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 am 

The main riff of the new song is good, the harmonized one with the nice bass in the background. I suspect it was written by their bassist. He needs to write more because it sounds like classic F&J. The rest of the song doesn't move me at all.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:55 am 

A third song:

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 am 

Dembo wrote:
A third song:

That was pretty fine actually. Reminded me of that "Iron Maiden" song off the previous album. Frantic pace, lots of harmonization. Good stuff.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:51 am 

Getting my first listen in now and this is pretty decent. It's not mind blowing but it's a lot more energetic and heavier than I expected.

Also, is it me or does Eric AK kinda sound like an even more gravelly Russell Allen these days?

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 am 

I'm not hearing any Russel Allen. The whole album is pretty aggressive and straight forward thrash unlike the last one which still has some power metal elements. I agree it's not mind blowing but it's pretty good none the less.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm 

I haven't listened to this guys before but this album kicks ass. Never gives you time to breathe with its speed, while still being dynamic throughout. While there are some less-than-stellar songs in the album, they do not detract much from the other songs 'cause they're still good.

Album art IS shit though lol

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 am 

Heard it twice and I am a bit disappointed for first listen. There were too many songs following a very obvious formula: Eastern scale riffs followed by a commercial (usually bland) chorus. Half the solos are shredding exercises (decent but hardly creative). I also thought the drummer too ordinary and a better fit for Exodus, not Flotsam...

Having said that, there were 3 songs that stood out, the last two being the best, although I am still on the fence regarding the chorus of The End (last and best song on the album imo). But the verse riff is great and when it goes higher in the middle, that was a special moment: the very rare moment when the band actually sounds like Flotsam and Jetsam.

I think it will grow on me more. We'll see about the choruses but they did get on my nerves most of the times.

First two Flotsam are among the finest metal albums ever recorded. When the Storm Comes Down was a huge disappointment to me when it came out but Suffer the Masses is an AWESOME song. And October Thorns has a fantastic solo. They lost their Flotsiness (...) really, they did put out some good albums (and I really liked the previous one) but also some very average indifferent ones, but at the end of the day, they never managed to surpass their first two. Annihilator syndrome.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:50 pm 

I really like it. A lot actually. Although I can agree with Dungeon_Vic that many of the songs sound a bit alike. But is there really anyone, young or old, that sings better than Eric A.K. these days? I don't think so. He just gets better and better.
Top 3-songs on the new album (after seven spins) is The End, Prepare For Chaos and Unwelcome Surprise.
I have played the whole discography lately and this is how I rank them:

Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986) - 90/100
No Place for Disgrace (1988) - 90/100
When the Storm Comes Down (1990) - 55/100
Cuatro (1992) - 75/100
Drift (1995) - 80/100
High (1997) - 70/100
Unnatural Selection (1999) - 60/100
My God (2001) - 50/100
Dreams of Death (2005) - 55/100
The Cold (2010) - 75/100
Ugly Noise (2012) - 60/100
Flotsam and Jetsam (2016) - 85/100
The End of Chaos (2019) - 80/100

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 am 

I've been giving the new album a few spins, along with the rest of the F&J catalog. I like this new one a lot, definitely my personal favorite since maybe Drift or Cuatro. I really enjoyed the self titled album, but this new one has just a bit more kick. In terms of rankings, I would put their last two albums right up with their first four. Everything after that is patchy, but I still dig all of their efforts to some extent. Great band with a fair amount of diversity, always stayed creative.

Quick Ratings:

Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986) - 95/100
No Place for Disgrace (1988) - 98/100
When the Storm Comes Down (1990) - 75/100
Cuatro (1992) - 75/100
Drift (1995) - 65/100
High (1997) - 60/100
Unnatural Selection (1999) - 50/100 (really hate the guitar tone on this one)
My God (2001) - 70/100 (the start of the turn around)
Dreams of Death (2005) - 70/100
The Cold (2010) - 70/100
Ugly Noise (2012) - 60/100 (definite let down)
Flotsam and Jetsam (2016) - 75/100 (almost rivals Ironbound for an unexpected ass kicking)
The End of Chaos (2019) - 80/100

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:58 am 

Quick ratings:

Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986) - 11/10
3rd favorite album ever

No Place for Disgrace (1988) - 11/10
Could have been my favorite instead of Doomsday. Both are metal peaks.

When the Storm Comes Down (1990) - 7/10
Big letdown when it came out, after years of disappointments I have learnt to appreciate it for what it is. Kinda like Set the World on Fire.

Cuatro (1992) - 7/10
Another disappointment and the last F&J I went and bought blindly out of fanboyism for the first two, although I knew it wasn't going to be the same. Anyway, this has some surprisingly good songs (not in the old vein) but I find the production to be very soft and takes away from the final result. Honestly, a heavy remix of this would make it an easy 8 or 8.5.

Drift (1995) - 6.5/10?
Not sure about the grade as I haven't heard this or the following albums fully in years. But I do remember this one was in the right direction but in 1995 I was more interested in other bands (like Death, BG, Gamma Ray or Grip Inc talking about 1995). Still, I should revisit. I remember the single was fantastic (Smoked Out)

High (1997) - 6/10?
I remember not buying the "back to METAL" package of the album and that I was a regular "first albums only fan" but recently I was listening to a couple of tunes and despite the fact that they don't play my favorite style it was OK. So, a 6 for that.

Unnatural Selection (1999) - 4/10 ?
This was around the Hard Radio - Real Audio days. I remember listening to this and thinking: "Wow, this is really, really shit". I was surprised at how sad that made me.

My God (2001) - ?/10
Don't think I remember a single note from this. It might be that I haven't actually listened to it once.

Dreams of Death (2005) - 6?/10
I remember the hype for the title. Thrash was on its way up and it made sense to get back on the horse. But this was not a return to form. I remember wanting to like it and it not being anywhere near what I had hoped it would be. I might be very generous or very strict with the grade, no idea, haven't listened to this since then.

The Cold (2010) - 6.5+?/10
This was again not what I wanted it to be but I had swallowed that pill from Dreams of Death and I guess was more accepting to their style. This is actually a good album, just not special in any way, not even Eric AK makes a difference.

Ugly Noise (2012) - 5/10
I expected even better than Dreams of Death. Ths was definitely worse. I thought they were a done case.

Flotsam and Jetsam (2016) - 7.5/10
And then this! This is what I would have expected Dreams of Death to be. Glibert and Spencer made a world of difference and Eric AK sounded better than ever. Seen them live a year before (for a special first two album show) and all the love was bright as new.

The End of Chaos (2019) - 7.5/10
On the same level as F&J but I have notable objections on the formulaic songwriting and the choruses, as already mentioned. Will revisit. This could become a 7 or an 8.

FIRST TWO ALBUMS PEOPLE. THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:50 pm 

I used to be a HUGE fan of this group. One of the most frustrating groups to be a huge fan of, right up there with Annihilator, Tourniquet, and Anthrax.

I'd go see them live any day, but I can't see myself spending a penny on a new song from them. They've tried every trick in the book and none of it has yielded a great song since the 80s IMHO.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:43 pm 

A few more thoughts on their discography:

The first two albums are undisputed thrash classics. I prefer No Place For Disgrace though, definitely one of my favorite albums ever.

Always liked When The Storm Comes down, but it was a departure musically and the murky production is horrid.

I dig the fuck out of Cuatro. Always have. Some really good creative stuff on that album.

Drift was a grower for me, but "Smoked Out" is an obvious highlight. Makes a good companion to Quatro.

They lost me on High, more streamlined and heavy than the last two but not very interesting.

Thought Natural Selection was a turd from the first listen on.

My God was the beginning of the turnaround. Patchy quality wise, but songs like "Dig Me Up" and "Camera Eye" were a breath of fresh air.

Dreams of Death is interesting. Some decent stuff, perhaps a bit too progressive and "out there."

Same deal with The Cold. I can appreciate the effort, but it's not a huge favorite.

Ugly Noise was just bad. Trying to recreate Cuatro and Drift was a bad decision.

Self titled album was an unexpected ass kicker. Very nice return to form.

After three or four listens I'm still digging The End Of Chaos, and again a bit more than the self titled album.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 am 

Re: Cuatro, I really think they wrote some great songs in their Black Album/Countdown to Extinction sort of way. For example Swatting at Flies or Wading Through the Darkness are awesome songs. I just could not understand why the album sounds so SOFT, no heaviness at all. Which is what Drift corrected, having a much more suitable production that is. It's the one I want to revisit most.

When the Storm Comes Down counts as 90s Jim and although the fall from the first two is huge, Suffer the Masses is AWESOMe, come on! And what about that beauty of a solo on October Thorns? (link stars a bit before, Eric rules) The entire section is perfection in a rather indifferent song. Kinda like Testament during souls of Black now that I think about it.

And speaking of that era of Testament and the production of When the Storm Comes Down... It's Alex Perialas man. He really made a lot of bands sound dated at that point, around 88-90. Think Anthrax (SOE), Testament (Practice), Flotsam, Overkill (UTI)... I don't find these production bad but they could have been better.

Back to the post-classic era, from the s/t album, I really, really loved Verge of Tragedy and Gilbert's solo is beautiful. I was actually kind of overwhelmed with emotion when I first heard his tone again, I absolutely LOVE his tone.

I have to point out that Jason Bittner did a better job imo on the drums than Ken Mary. I looked Ken Mary up and was surprised to see his impressive CV, his drumming does not remind me of any of his classic works. He sounds like a standard modern drummer, which is my main complaint really. Too standard, I expected something more classy and imaginative. It's not bad but it's not great either.

I would love to catch a full set by the Flots. I've only seen a 35 minutes one and it was one of the most emotional gigs of my life, I was really 10 years old again.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 pm 

Quote:
When the Storm Comes Down counts as 90s Jim and although the fall from the first two is huge, Suffer the Masses is AWESOMe, come on!

Sorry, I said 80s and what I meant was "first 4 albums" or "classic era". So I would say "They've tried every trick in the book and none of it has yielded a great song since [the first 4 albums]/[their classic era] IMHO".

I will revisit that one song you posted though. Thanks for sharing that.

Yeah, Ken Mary doesn't seem like the best fit. He's never been a thrash drummer! There are so many underrated thrash drummers who would be great in the band. If they could afford to hire Bittner they could afford them.

Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 am 

I enjoy both the drumming of Bittner and Mary, but the star of the show is always A.K. His vocals and vocalmelodies have always been unique. Beside the new albums from Metal Inquisitor and Saboter, I have only played Flotsam and Jetsam-stuff for the last two weeks. The 1997-2005 period was not a good time for the band, and neither A.K. sounds as good here. When The Cold was released in 2010 he sounded brilliant again, so I don't know if he lived a tougher life in those years or if it just was a lack of enthusiasm.
I talked to the whole band after a gig here in Norway three years ago (really nice people) and he gave me a big smile when I told him that Better Off Dead from The Cold is one of my all time F&J-favorites. He seemed to enjoy that. What a song!
What about Edward Carlsson? I have no idea, but was he important for the band when it came to his playing, and did he contribute to the songwriting?

By the way, Unwelcome Surprise is now my absolute favorite from the new one. Awesome.
And the bass sound and playing from Michael Spencer is a winner.

Reply to topic