Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 am 

"We’re happy and proud to announce the new album of the mighty SUIDAKRA: “Cimbric Yarns”, which will be released on November 16, 2018, and is the thirteenth studio after 24 years of band history.

Instead of their characteristic bombastic melodic death metal, the musicians impress with an acoustic, ambient masterpiece that takes the audience into a mystical land far before time."

Tracklist:

01 Echtra
02 Serpentine Origins
03 Ode To Arma
04 A Day And Forever
05 Black Dawn
06 At Nine Light Night
07 Snakehenge
08 Birth And Despair
09 Assault On Urlár
10 Caoine Cruác
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've received a promo of this for review and I'm afraid there won't be much good to write about. "Cimbric Yarns" continues the downwards trend of this band.

Apparently they realized they've been running out of guitar riffs in the last few years and tried to shift their gear towards the folkish side of their spectrum but it doesn't work. Most of the acoustic guitar patterns are pedestrian, I've been waiting for some emotional highlights to come and grab me, but there are about none. It seems that the atmosphere and arpeggios become a little more memorable in the second half of the CD - "Snakehenge" is half-decent, except for a truly annoying, forced chorus - but overall, I'd rather listen to any of their pre-2013 material at any time.

Youtube: show

Thoughts?

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
"

Instead of their characteristic bombastic melodic death metal, the musicians impress with an acoustic, ambient masterpiece that takes the audience into a mystical land far before time."

I'll pass, thanks.

blackmantram
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:54 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:

"acoustic, ambient masterpiece"

lol, no. I don't think you will ever release a metal masterpiece let alone an ambient one. This band has really lost it, after that utter failure that was Yarns I don't have an ounce of hope for them. That's the problem with highly prolific bands like this, they run out of ideas pretty quickly and end up releasing complete shit putting a bad stain over their careers. At least they left Caledonia.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm 

Yeah that was a slog. Pedestrian at best, clumsy at worst.

You can't just cherry-pick the parts of celtic folk music that already kinda sound like metal and expect to milk an engaging album out of it.

Shame, these guys did some really interesting stuff in the past.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm 

I think it's funny that they didn't even try to really disguise what they were doing, changing the sound - they just come out with "instead of what we used to do, this is a completely different, weird acoustic thing." Most bands try to throw in a heavy song or two to claim it's back to the roots or something.

That song had some OK parts, but yeah, just sounded like a sort of clumsy effort. Nice of them to try to branch out, but they're just not nailing it on that song anyway.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 pm 

I gotta admit I'm a bit of a Suidakra fanboy... But honestly, their last couple releases have been sub-par at best. And this doesn't seem like it will be any better. Quite the opposite.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:33 pm 

I wish they'd done something like this a few years ago; the acoustic pieces they had here and there on their albums were brilliant.
I'm afraid Arkadius is spreading way too thin lately, with the relentless recording schedule pushed even further by that whole Realms of Odoric thing. Slow down, cherry pick the strongest ideas and run with those instead.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:41 pm 

That chorus is so cringy and terrible. This band has been on auto-pilot for years, but now they’re kicking it up a notch and starting to write bad songs instead of just boring ones. Oh well, at least we have The Arcanum to remind us that there was a time when this band was great.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 am 

Everything up to and including Caledonia was pretty damn sweet. After that it got hit or miss, but in the last few years the dip has become a nosedive. I suspect Arkadius is one of those masterminds who really need a band around to go the extra mile and self-edit, sort of like Rolf Kasparek and Helmuth.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 am 

Lays from Afar was so good....even i as a Black Metal listener was enjoying this record. It's a shame what they have become..

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm 

Damn. Some of their early and mid period albums were really good. I'm holding out hope there'll be some good stuff on the full album, but I definitely have lost interest in the last several of them.

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm 

Element_man wrote:

Shame, these guys did some really interesting stuff in the past.

Indeed. But it seems it's been quite a long time already, their last consistent quality release was released in the last decade.

I've been encountering a lot of over-the-top cheesiness on their later albums, ruining decent moments with overly-pompous awkwardness.....

Adder's Fork - Website

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Everything up to and including Caledonia was pretty damn sweet. After that it got hit or miss, but in the last few years the dip has become a nosedive. I suspect Arkadius is one of those masterminds who really need a band around to go the extra mile and self-edit, sort of like Rolf Kasparek and Helmuth.

I basically agree with this. After Caledonia, there are still hits but misses aplenty. With this release and their last one, they've become such a let down for me. I am definitely a fanboy of theirs, but for whatever reason, the creativity just isn't there anymore. My only hope is that with all of the misses, maybe a banging album is forming slowly in Arkadius' subconscious for him to crank out eventually. lol

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:14 am 

Before taking time to look back into this - did Arkadius share writing duties with Marcel Schoenen for their classic albums and was his departure the reason for the slow decline of the band? Is the difference between Caledonia and Book of Dowth that big, musically?

After having to listen to their newest songs again for my Cimbric Yarns review, I really don't feel like rediscovering their back-catalogue right now...

Adder's Fork - Website

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Before taking time to look back into this - did Arkadius share writing duties with Marcel Schoenen for their classic albums and was his departure the reason for the slow decline of the band? Is the difference between Caledonia and Book of Dowth that big, musically?

After having to listen to their newest songs again for my Cimbric Yarns review, I really don't feel like rediscovering their back-catalogue right now...

Personally, I don't get the "for the past few years, they haven't been so good" thing that seems to be so common in this thread. Granted, everything up to Caledonia is excellent, with the only exception being Command to Charge, and half of what they've done since then is just meh. But I think both Crogacht and Book of Dowth are superb albums, much better IMHO than Command to Charge, and on par with nearly anything else until Caledonia. And that seems to be the general consensus too, if we can take M-A reviews as an accurate representation of it (which we probably shouldn't, but that's a discussion for another thread I guess).

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am 

Gelal wrote:
Personally, I don't get the "for the past few years, they haven't been so good" thing that seems to be so common in this thread. Granted, everything up to Caledonia is excellent, with the only exception being Command to Charge

Well, Cimbric Yarns is the third failure in a row. If that isn't a downward spiral, what is?

Yeah, Command to Charge was an effort to cash in on the then-popular Gothenburg sound. A sole miss-step amidst a solid discography in my view.

Adder's Fork - Website

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:41 am 

Crogacht is a good album indeed, but that was almost ten years ago. Like others have said, they got somewhat spottier after Caledonia, but it's been the last few years and albums that showed beyond doubt that all was not well in the realms of Odoric *wink, wink*.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Gelal wrote:
Personally, I don't get the "for the past few years, they haven't been so good" thing that seems to be so common in this thread. Granted, everything up to Caledonia is excellent, with the only exception being Command to Charge

Well, Cimbric Yarns is the third failure in a row. If that isn't a downward spiral, what is?

Yeah, Command to Charge was an effort to cash in on the then-popular Gothenburg sound. A sole miss-step amidst a solid discography in my view.

No, I agree that their last two albums (not counting this last one as I have yet to listen to it, but judging from what I've already heard it's not looking good) are mediocre at best. Actually, I just checked and the previous two came out earlier than I thought they did (doesn't feel like it's been seven years since The Book of Dowth, I'm getting old), so I guess while I wasn't wrong that not everything they've done since Caledonia isn't as good as what came before it, it's almost correct that they haven't done anything noteworthy in nearly a decade...

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Crogacht is a good album indeed, but that was almost ten years ago. Like others have said, they got somewhat spottier after Caledonia, but it's been the last few years and albums that showed beyond doubt that all was not well in the realms of Odoric *wink, wink*.

Crogacht is a masterpiece and my favourite Suidakra album. Sadly, each album since them has been worse than the previous one, so I am not very motivated to check out this one.

Reply to topic