Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am 

Obscenity will release a new album via Apostasy Records, short before 2019 which is their 30th anniversary.

https://obscenitydeath.bandcamp.com/alb ... the-circle

1. Used and Abused
2. Feasting from the Dead
3. Infernal Warfare
4. Dreadfully Embraced
5. Scourge of Humanity
6. Torment for the Living
7. Invocation Obscure
8. The Ones Concerned
9. Let Her Bleed

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am 

A second track:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:56 pm 

I'll wait for Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics V, it should provide something of more artistic value.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm 

Both these songs are pretty great, some good songwriting and catchy riffs...not to mention, fuckin' fantastic vocals. I really like the use of melody in that second track, it's catchy and emotional while still tasteful, and doesn't detract from the brutality...also, that album cover is sexy. I'll have to check out some more of this band's work, I know the name but haven't really heard much at all, but this is very promising.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 am 

I like this too. That second track is catchy and indeed emotional without sacrificing any heaviness. Guitar tone is sick too.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 am 

Wait, this actually sounds pretty good! If Monstrosity hadn't released an album this year this would fill that void.

My only criticism would be the pairing of vocals this guttural to the melodic sections. When there's a melody, you don't have to have a vocal with it, just let the guitars talk.

EDIT: Having previously only given their first couple of albums a very casual listen, I'd written them off as a decent but unremarkable 90's death metal band. Listening back it sounds like they've been a pretty prolific and high quality band ever since then :eek:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 am 

Well, I tend to only make album threads if I expect a fair amount of people to be interest in it, which is why I was surprised at the initial lack of responses in this thread. I thought that at least the debut, Suffocated Truth, was somewhat recognized among old school death metal fans. And maybe it is without it showing in the thread.

Anyway, a third track have been made public:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am 

The debut was solid but boring, the problem is that they've been doing nothing but copy themselves ever since. Ever few years they claim to have a new album but it's really just the same album as always with new titles.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:12 pm 

Wow, that third song is fucking awesome too - possibly the best of the three. Going to have to pick this album up, I agree with the Monstrosity comparison, that was one of my favorite albums of this year.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm 

Pretty solid album.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

hey this sounds pretty good

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:11 am 

I ordered a copy of the album (along with "Suffocated Truth" for good measure :)), and it's a fantastic slab of death metal. Not the most original thing in the world, mind you, but I don't expect or want that - it gets the job done exceptionally well at everything it attempts and doesn't fuck around at all, great and very powerful vocals, amazing leadwork, great production, and most important of all - fantastic songwriting and catchy riffs in every song. I doubt this will turn many heads or impress naysayers, but people (like me) who enjoy meat-and-potatoes death metal are encouraged to check it out. I'm new to this band and have thus only heard these two albums - can't confirm if they've copied themselves or not, but what I do know is that not many bands with such a long and illustrious career sound this fresh 25+ years on, and in my eyes it totally destroys the newer work of a lot of genre heavyweights (Sinister and Malevolent Creation come to mind) and feels very fresh and exciting.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:10 am 

Great album, especially the second half.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:47 am 

Hmm. I love Suffocated Truth, Perversion Mankind and DEMO-niac. And that track from The 3-rd Chapter that had female vocals (Disgrace over you). But the rest was kind of meh. Typical death metal with absolute zero of originality or anything attention grabbing at all. Years went by but the problem remained the same.

I'll check the new one out but I don't expect much TBH.

P.S.
droneriot wrote:
the problem is that they've been doing nothing but copy themselves ever since. Ever few years they claim to have a new album but it's really just the same album as always with new titles.

Exactly, that's what I wanted to say.

Even worse, the demos, debut and sophomore had some sort of sensible lyrical topics that was coherent with the music, thus producing powerful message IMO. But after that it all went into pointless "I'm br00tal 'caue I'm br00tal" territory. I'd actually be glad if they'd repeat Suffocated Truth and/or Perversion Mankind, but no, they didn't even do that.

Disgrace over you had a nice twist with female vocals (which fit so well!) but that was it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:27 pm 

BlackheartSauron, a friend of mine did vocals and lyrics on Atrophied in Anguish and that one actually does have high-quality lyrics if that's what you're looking for. The music as usual is generic as fuck and they did go back to "generic death metal growler" from there, but you can't fault the lyrics on that particular album.

Reply to topic