Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:34 am 

Frontiers Music Srl is known for building new bands/projects featuring musicians of outstanding quality and who come from unique backgrounds. After an intense brainstorming session, a dream team of renowned metal musicians including Tim "Ripper" Owens (ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH), Chris Caffery (SAVATAGE, TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA), Steve DiGiorgio (TESTAMENT, DEATH) and Mark Zonder (ex-FATES WARNING, WARLORD) was born and put together under the direction of renowned Los Angeles-based producer Roy Z. (BRUCE DICKINSON, HALFORD, TRIBE OF GYPSIES).

Called SPIRITS OF FIRE (after the title of one of their songs), the band has completed work on their debut album which is set for release on February 22 via Frontiers Music Srl. The music can best be described as "classic JUDAS PRIEST meets SAVATAGE."

Today, SPIRITS OF FIRE has released its first video and single, "Light Speed Marching". Check it out below.

Caffery said: "My influences for writing on this record were the bands that we were and are still in! I wanted to write songs that PRIEST, SAVATAGE, TESTAMENT and FATES WARNING fans would like. But I wanted them to have a personality of their own as well. To give it a vibe that was SPIRITS OF FIRE! I grew up listening to JUDAS PRIEST and spent 30-plus years working with Jon Oliva and Paul O'Neill with SAVATAGE and TSO. Many years playing Criss's music. These influences for me came naturally! Especially because I'm a fan of all of our bands!

Story continues after advertisement

"This was the first time that I ever worked with Roy and it was so much fun. I have been a huge fan of his work for a long time. He's written music, played on, and produced some of my favorite metal albums ever. He had a difficult job bringing this all together and I can't think of anyone that would have been a better producer and co-worker for this album!"

Added Owens: "I always just sing to the song, whatever I feel it should be. It's like a character thing! I like layers! This music is really perfect for me and in my natural wheel house. I like to sing all over the place and change it up and this all happens on this album. This is just the start of an amazing band, I mean sky is the limit and I actually can't wait to record the next album, because this one is so great and perfect."

Zonder stated: "I am the kind of player that plays what I think fits best with the music. With SPIRITS OF FIRE, the music was more aggressive and hard hitting which I really liked. Again, I tried to be very mindful of the song and the vocals, but tried to add parts that were interesting and creative for the listener."

"Spirits Of Fire" track listing:

01. Light Speed Marching
02. Temple Of The Soul
03. All Comes Together
04. Spirits Of Fire
05. It's Everywhere
06. A Game
07. Dispensable
08. Meet Your End
09. Never To Return
10. The Path
11. Alone In The Darkness

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:01 am 

Caff is a good guitarist, but not a composer. his solo albums are not really outstanding, even if you disregard the grating voice. the other 3 have lent their name, talents and drum loops to so many projects that it's embarrassing :/ I have some hope bcs of the involvement of Roy Z, but not too high hopes. if there's a coupla good songs, I'll be happy. daft name, too, btw.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 am 

That song sounded better than most of the schlock that Ripper's been putting his name on lately but it didn't quite blow my mind. I still have no idea what to expect from this. The name is decent but I don't know if it suits their aesthetic.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pm 

Meh, not bad but nothing to write home about either.

Too much talent, too little passion or inspiration. Like aloof said, Caffery is a good guitarist but not a great composer. I trust Roy Z as a composer much more but I don't know how much he is involved in this.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:38 pm 

As much as I like Tim's story and Jugulator, god I really wish he'd just go the fuck away at this point. None of the projects he's been involved with since that album have been worth half a fuck. This is no exception.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:52 pm 

Man this was hard to get through. Sounds like a rejected track from Firepower. It's a shame when consummate professionals let themselves do shit like this.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:56 pm 

Sounded alright to me. I don't see this as being shameful at all, it's a solid track and they are making music they love.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm 

I'll say it again. Instead of spending whatever credibility he has on very unfortunate projects like the Dio hologram tour or doomed-to-fail stuff like the Three Tremors, he should just join Annihilator. Two birds with one stone as far as I'm concerned. A band that has been screaming for a permanent vocalist since Coburn Pharr and a singer that can do both the Rampage and Pharr stuff with ease. And there is always that fantastic Abigail cover featuring both of them and of course Alison Hell from the same gig...

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:00 pm 

I don't want supergroups, I want super-songwriting!

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07 pm 

Sure sounds like Priest meets Savatage, doesn't it?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:39 am 

Opus wrote:

Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately those don't sell and frontiers doesn't sign those!

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Opus wrote:

Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately those don't sell and frontiers doesn't sign those!

So instead we get another Priest rip off from former Priest members who couldn't cut it with creative control in Charred Walls of the Damned.

At least Owens sounds like he's in his place with this track, but this is an easy pass for me.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 am 

Another "supergroup" that that manages to be so much less than the sum of its parts. Another forgettable entry into Ripper's frustratingly underwhelming resume. A script more predictable, lame and depressing than yet another Fast & Furious sequel.

Aren't people sick of this stuff yet? Or is there really enough of a market out there for labels to keep throwing cash at such manufactured lineups?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 pm 

Just reading the press release was ample enough warning that this'd be a passionless and mediocre contrivance. "After an intense brainstorming session"? Naming the band from a (lame) song title (not vice versa)? Exclamation marks after almost every sentence? Don't even have to listen to it; press release unintentionally tells the truth.

Pre-order yours today and we'll send you a second one, FREE!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:06 pm 

the guitars sound pretty shitty

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

I can’t help but laugh when I see another “band” featuring Ripper Owens... Is he the biggest “cash-in artist,” i.e. got to be in a legendary act and then milked those credits over and over again in one-off projects and “supergroups”?

Let’s face it, the only singers who qualify for “supergroup” labels in Priest or Maiden remain Halford and Bruce...

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:17 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Another "supergroup" that that manages to be so much less than the sum of its parts. Another forgettable entry into Ripper's frustratingly underwhelming resume. A script more predictable, lame and depressing than yet another Fast & Furious sequel.

Aren't people sick of this stuff yet? Or is there really enough of a market out there for labels to keep throwing cash at such manufactured lineups?

Exactly, i don't get the appeal. If there isn't a well hidden crew of fans that automatically buys lots of stuff i can't really understand how much longer this kind of business can last

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm 

SculptedCold wrote:
Just reading the press release was ample enough warning that this'd be a passionless and mediocre contrivance. "After an intense brainstorming session"?

Not to mention that it is implied that the brainstorming session was done by the label and not the band themselves! The result of the session was just who would be in the band and who would be producing it.

They're turning metal bands into puppets/boy bands.

I think they inadvertently hit the nail on the head on why these bands don't work. No real brain work taking place. One session ain't gonna cut it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:43 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

Exactly, i don't get the appeal. If there isn't a well hidden crew of fans that automatically buys lots of stuff i can't really understand how much longer this kind of business can last

It doesn't help that these guys are the types that spend more time bitching about piracy than telling people why it's worth buying on its own merits.

I do have to give Ripper for one thing: At least that song has vocal lines that aren't variations of "WAAAAAHHHH" over and over.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:11 am 

You know how there are musicians like Steve Harris, who are kind of dicks but deliver the goods every time? Tim Owens is the total opposite: a super nice guy who has probably unleashed dozens of hours of terrible music on the world.

Someone please stop him from joining any more "supergroups". Thank you.

Quote:
the guitars sound pretty shitty

Roy Z should have told them it's generally not wise to turn your amp's bass up to 10.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am 

MawBTS wrote:
You know how there are musicians like Steve Harris, who are kind of dicks but deliver the goods every time?

I never thought of Harris as kind of a dick. But I did think he fucked up when he chose Bayley to replace Dickinson, when he decided he did not need a stellar producer, when he chooses album covers or even mockups of album covers, when he writes forgettable songs with the most contrived use of oh oh oh's in the middle, when he writes forgettable songs (period) and when he formed British Lion, which is just too bad to be forgotten.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:59 pm 

It's amazing how something so technically competent and solid can be so boring. Just goes to show you how much 'soul' and 'feeling' play into this stuff. This is like the Happy Meal of heavy metal. Utterly manufactured, processed stuff that could have been made by robots probably. No real distinct flavor or taste. No point of view.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:53 pm 

Why oh why is it always Tim Owens.

Man, wasn't he in another one of these like two weeks ago?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:02 am 

Yes, that godawful Three Terrors thing. I'm tempted to believe somebody jinxed this guy by now.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm 

another song released, album out in 10 days*...

Spoiler: show
word on the street is there's gonna be a stampede for submitting them to the archives

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:20 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 am 

This shit is what makes me sick of Heavy Metal. Bland, faceless, soul sucking stuff like this.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 am 

Just when I thought that the stupid Three Tremors thing would be the worst thing to feature Tim Owens in the new year, this happens. The instrumental sounds like something that would've been written as background music in an early 90s arcade game. It's like a paint-by-numbers metal song, designed to hit all the familiar bullet points of what people think "real old school metal" is supposed to sound like in 2019, but just sounding really fucking lazy and boring the whole time. Same problem with that Metal Allegiance thing. At least Three Tremors is funny in how bad it is.

I love Tim Owens and his abilities as a singer, but he really needs to just go away at this point. Nothing he does or has his name attached to is any good anymore.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
This shit is what makes me sick of Heavy Metal. Bland, faceless, soul sucking stuff like this.

It's not a heavy metal thing. There are tons of new bands writing really good stuff and keeping the genre alive. It's these fucking music "geniuses" producing easy to sell garbage and all the morons who actually buy it. This bullshit predates pretty much all genres.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:04 am 

cultofkraken wrote:

I could not agree more!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:08 am 

Ripper Owens says that he takes up all these projects because it's the only way he can make money these days and that they don't get proper developments because they don't sell. They don't sell because they just aren't that good most of the time. They just aren't that good most of the time because he only takes them up for the money.

It's the dad metal equivalent of the recent college graduate "can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job" conundrum.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm 

They should record a cover of 'Delivering the Goods' where Ripper changes the words to "Payin' the Bills".

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm 

Or Breaking the Law:

Spoiler: show
There I was completely wasting
Out of work and down
All inside it's so frustrating
As I drift from town to town
Feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
So I might as well begin
To put together another crappy band

Paying the bills
Paying the bills
Paying the bills
Paying the bills

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:04 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
They just aren't that good most of the time because he only takes them up for the money.

This is where I respectfully disagree.

Great songs are usually crafted/rehearsed over years, tested in front of live audiences and/or your bandmates.

Not "lay down some tracks and 2 weeks later I'll email them all to you and you lay down some tracks". Then the visionless hodge-podge all comes together and the label says "what do you call this band?".

This is where modern metal goes way wrong.

It is rare for any great vocalist to save a mediocre song.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:04 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

It's not a heavy metal thing. There are tons of new bands writing really good stuff and keeping the genre alive. It's these fucking music "geniuses" producing easy to sell garbage and all the morons who actually buy it. This bullshit predates pretty much all genres.

Oh I know. It’s just this bland shit bloating the genre making it unpalatable even when there is good shit being made, which isn’t fair to those bands honestly.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I'll say it again. Instead of spending whatever credibility he has on very unfortunate projects like the Dio hologram tour or doomed-to-fail stuff like the Three Tremors, he should just join Annihilator. Two birds with one stone as far as I'm concerned. A band that has been screaming for a permanent vocalist since Coburn Pharr and a singer that can do both the Rampage and Pharr stuff with ease. And there is always that fantastic Abigail cover featuring both of them and of course Alison Hell from the same gig...

Jeff just moved to the UK for what that's worth, so he's probably content staying as the vocalist (and lyricist, ugh) for the time being.

If he were to ever bring in a vocalist again, I can't see it being anyone else but a talented unknown, mostly the same as he's been surrounding himself with for years. Yes, I agree it made all the sense in the world for Ripper to join at the time, but Waters isn't going to share the spotlight with anyone. Not much different than Mustaine in terms of both talent and ego, just way more subdued and passive-aggressive about it.

If Owens had stuck with building up some combination of his solo band/Beyond Fear/Charred Walls of the Damned for all this time, it might've turned out at least a little better than what he's been attached to instead.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 pm 

Damn yall are some nitpicking mofos. Already cancelling them after one song lol. Shit i liked what i heard. They sound great imo. Can't wait to hear more.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
Damn yall are some nitpicking mofos. Already cancelling them after one song lol. Shit i liked what i heard. They sound great imo. Can't wait to hear more.

Had this been a new band debuting, it would have been pedestrian but passable. Do you realize the musical abilities in this band? It's Mark Zonder! Steve DiGiorgio on bass! I would have done a better job at playing bass on this track, and I'm not even good at playing bass. This defines the meaning of underachieving.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:31 pm 

It must really suck being Tim Owens. Dude has a fucking godly voice but has remained a monster energy drink whoring failure that's constantly fired his whole life. Super depressing shit.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:45 am 

First listen into the album proper and I'm honestly surprised by how decent this is. The production kinda bogs it down but the songwriting isn't the phoned in bullshit that I was expecting.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next